Start by marking “Messy” as Want to Read:
Messy

Messy

Alec Davies is an aging-out rock star.

Hes twenty years older than me.

Hes also my fathers ex-best friend.

Dad used to be the lead guitarist of The Skies, an icon of the 90s British music scene. His fights with lead singer Alec were legendary, and so was the bands self-destruction. Ive hunted down Alec to tell him that Dad is back in England and determined to die at home.
Kindle Edition
Published March 17th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Messy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Messy

Start your review of Messy
b.andherbooks
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh do I love when a romance starts with a bang, and this may be one of the hottest first chapters I've read in recent memory.

So steamy and just *this* close to feeling a bit wrong, Messy is both a deliciously erotic age-gap romance AND a stark portrayal of grief and caring for a dying parent while also trying to find your own place in the world.

Read this one when you need a good punch in the heart and a fire in your loins, sexy British rock king included.

CW cancer, sick parent who dies during
Dísir
Alec Davies: ageing rock star, decades older than Harlow Tate, who has at some point in time, screwed up the dynamics of the rock band The Skies of which Harlows father was an integral part of. But Silas Tate is a dying manand Harlow seeks out Alec years later with this news with an unexpected outcome.

The age-gap difference is one that I never minded reading; this was in fact the reason I request this ARC. But Messy started off awkward for me; rather, it blindsided me with a rather inexplicable
Coco.V
Dec 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
💝 ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 💝
The_Book_Queen
Hot older British rockstar? Yes, please. Hot sex? Hell yes. But there's also a lot of angst and emotional shit in here so be aware:

CW: Ill parent, death of a parent, cancer, drug addiction
Jacqueline
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Messy is the third book Ive ready by Katie Porter, and while it didnt *quite* unseat Double Down as my fave from her, its a phenomenal book.

In Messy, Harlow Tate has brought her dying father back to England. Hoping hell reconcile with his former bandmates from The Skies, Harlow seeks out the bands frontman, Alec Davies. The two have immediate chemistry, and when Alec learns who Harlow is & why shes brought her father to London, he extends an offer for both of them to stay at his townhouse.
Christine
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Messy, sexy, mysterious...but also disjointed, jarring, abrupt.  I wanted to like MESSY far more than I did; however, Alec and Harlow, together and separately, just didn't make any sense to me.

Alec and Harlow's meeting was electric hot, leaving not only tingles, but so many questions.  What caused the rift between Alec and Harlow's dad Silas and broke up their band?  Why is Silas so emotionally abusive to his daughter?  Why are Harlow and Alec so drawn to each other?

Unfortunately, the answers
Pelusa Rivera
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was so not happy with this book. There really wasn't good character development for me, or maybe it was that by chapter 2 I was bored, I couldn't care less for these people, didn't understand there attraction to each other when they really didn't even like each other..yeah crap

Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author...(netgalley) voluntarily reviewed with my own thoughts and opinions
Adanna
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review copy provided for an honest review

I was excited to read this angsty, rockstar romance. It starts off with a bang, moves at a slow pace after that. There's lots of mysteries surrounding this couple but the resolution to most of them aren't provided in the book. Overall, it is a quick read that comes to happy end for the couple but an unsatisfying end for the reader.
Lauren loves llamas
Content warnings: (view spoiler)

Messy is a very apt description for this book! First off, its an age gap romance between an aging rock star and the daughter of his ex-bandmate whos dying of cancer, with all the content warnings that implies. Secondly, both main characters are, well, messy theyre broken, with lots of sharp edges
Karen
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Messy Katie Porter

This is one of those stories that takes its time pulling you in but when your snared, when your breath starts to catch, when you reach for the Kleenex, you know that your going on a hell of a ride and you intend to ride it to the end! The story is full of feelings, sadness, bitterness, need but also understanding, hope, lots of very hot sex and in the long run love.

Harlow Tate is the daughter of a once huge pop star Silas Tate who was a member of the popular band The Skies.
Deanna (Deanna Reads Books)
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books

I wanted to like this one way more than I did, like there were things I liked about it, but other times I just didn't understand the appeal the couple had to each other. It felt more like a sexual attraction and the actual love stuff just didn't sit right with me. I was so bummed because I do really want to read age gap stuff.

I do want to point out that if cancer or the idea of death of a parent is a trigger for you, you
Karen
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ess
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This book felt like a performance; there was no buildup between two characters getting to know one another, so I still dont understand the forced intimacy between Alec and Harlow. Since the beginning, it felt like I was stepping into a sequel or a book where these characters had met before because these characters went right at it in regards to their vapid conversations and their random bouts of sex frenzies.
I did expect the sex in this book because the synopsis read as an erotic novel, however
Downward dog
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, musician, netgalley
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to review this book. I will also post reviews on Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Bookbub.

Thanks to the author for providing a copy of this book via Cocktails and Books and Netgalley. The opinions expressed are my own.

Messy is a story about an aging rock star and a much younger woman. The reason I wanted to read this book is because I enjoy reading about older men with a younger woman and especially, when it is about a
Lynn
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
MESSY's first chapter is a mission statement: Aging rock star can't resist younger woman who he finds in his dressing room. She's a bit of an emotional wreck. There's earth shattering oral sex before she reveals she's the daughter of his estranged former bandmate who's now dying. Yeah, it's messy.

This book is super angsty and super hot. Harlow is dealing with her difficult dad's terminal cancer, her deep emotional wounds, and desire to more know about her past. Alec is managing a reunion of his
Amy Wilcox
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Is it uh. hot in here?! No?? Just me? Oh, okay. This book brought the heat, man and I am HERE for it! Alec and Harlow meet as strangers who turn out to be connected pretty deeply, and Alec has no clue who Harlow is. After he finds out who she is and why shes there things get interesting. There are boundaries put into place, but even those cant stop things from getting insanely hot. Its not long before said boundaries get blown to pieces and lines are crossed and people who shouldnt be in love ...more
Kathy
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Years ago, Harlows dad was in the famous band and with a falling out he left and moved to America. When her dying father insists on returning to England, Harlow reaches out to Alec not sure what would happen between the two. What she didnt expect was an instant attraction between her and Alec, Alec finds himself moving Harlow and her father into his home.
Things are messy between rock star Alec Davies and Harlow Tate, yet they can not deny the passion they have even though it could have
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
Rock star? Father's best friend? Age gap? Sign me up! Everything about the blurb had me intrigued. Combine that with a new to me author and I was psyched to read it.

Honestly, I never really grasped the plot. I found a lot of the book to be well, confusing. I mean, I understand what it's supposed to be about but I felt like it was kind of all over the place. Like there were a lot of holes in the story. I really struggled with this one. It never really held my attention and I found myself getting
Kimberly (Kimmy Loves to Read)
The synopsis was what made me buy this book. I knew that I would have some uninterrupted pool time to read it so I bought it. Right from the first chapter I was hooked. It was sexy AF. Alec and Harlow had this tension between them that made me think they would do it at any moment and they kind of did.

Yes, the story itself could have been fleshed out a little more, but you know what? The world is crazy right now and a book filled with some hot sex between an aging rockstar and his ex bandmates
Flo
Mar 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
if you like insta-lust and characters/relationships that exist without any explanation or reality, then be my guest. It would have been very hot if I had any idea of why anyone was doing anything. Theres a lot of internal angsting but very, very little substance. Should have DNFed but kept hoping there would be some sort of character explanation or breakthrough. There was not. One star for the sexy times. ...more
Giofab21
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The blurb alone should prepare you for the crazy rollercoaster ride between riding his face to the townhouse hospice, it's just curiosity that wonders how this all plays out. This is definitely a story with many layers, add a rockstar, even an aging one and all bets are off. Messy turns sexy but there's no way it's gonna be boring.
I received an advanced copy of this book from Netgalley for my honest review.
Illustrious Illusions
A father's east friend type of romance...Age difference obviously. It's well written and hot....subject matter turned me off, it's not my trope of choice :(

The fact I didn't care for this book, is on me 100% - I was so excited to see a new Katie Porter book I jumped without looking at the description too closely...I've missed my Katie Porter books :)
Jessica
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I did not finish this one.
I gave up at chapter 4.
The blurb for this one sounds great, but the actual story did not capture my attention. I couldnt get into it enough to even skip to the end and see how it concluded. Im disappointed.
Elle Beauregard
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Raw, intimate, and painfully sexy. I couldnt put this book down. Like, woke up early to read it, then let the kids play on their tablets too long so I could finish it levels of couldnt put it down. ...more
Tracie R
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgally
I really wanted to like tis story and for the most part I did, however I also found some parts stilted which impacted the flow of the story.
Dana Cuadrado
Mar 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF - 50% the initial set up was enjoyable but I didnt care about the characters. The plot felt more messy that the actual romance. ...more
R
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can tell that people are going to dislike this because the book lives up to its titleits full of messy emotions. But it read true and made me root for one my my least favorite tropesthe age gap! And its queer! Lorelie Brown doesnt miss.

tw emotional abuse by parent, parent dying of cancer
Carrie Auwarter
Mar 18, 2020
Mindy
Mar 20, 2020
Peggany
Apr 04, 2020

• Whiteout (Survival Instincts, #1)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • A Cowboy to Remember (Cowboys of California #1)
  • Down and Dirty (Hot Jocks, #5)
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Inappropriate
  • Mating Theory
  • Credence
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Fires of Winter (Haardrad Viking Family, #1)
  • Shelf Awareness (Green Valley Library, #4)
  • The Rich Boy
  • A Worthy Opponent (Wicked Villains, #3)
  • Badger to the Bone (Honey Badger Chronicles, #3)
  • Sin and Ink (Sweetest Taboo, #1)
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • Reborn Yesterday (Phenomenal Fate, #1)
Katie Porter is the award-winning writing team of longtime friends Lorelie Brown and Carrie Lofty . Both are multi-published in several romance genres, and both are RITA-nominated. Carrie holds an MA in history, loves movies, and has no fear of gross things like formaldehyde sharks. Her daughters aren't appreciative. Lorelie is a US Army veteran and true-crime devotee, whose three boys love ...more