Start by marking “And Both Were Young” as Want to Read:
And Both Were Young

Madeleine L'Engle

And Both Were Young

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  3,441 Ratings  ·  247 Reviews
Philippa is miserable at an all girls' boarding school in Switzerland until she forms a supportive friendship with the mysterious Paul.
Published April 1st 1983 by Delacorte Press (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about And Both Were Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Both Were Young

Claire Monahan
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: skiers, boarding school castaways, winter lovers
Dammit, I love Flip. I love Madeleine L'Engle, I love the idea of boarding schools, Switzerland, and French boys and girls snowed into a storm of romance, adventure, and heartbreaking loneliness. (I've also only realized that I've always had a strange attraction for the widowed father and only daughter stories. This one absolutely fills that niche.)

I've reread this book countless times now, and each read only makes me happier and sentimental for the gorgeous but grounding tales of Madeleine L'En
Moonlight Reader
I've been doing a L'Engle read for the last year or so & decided to read this standalone in connection with a genre reading challenge - February is romance month. I previously read this book back when I was in junior high/early high school. It was originally published in 1949, which makes it one of her very early novels (it appears this was 3rd), and I probably read it around 1978.

It is quite dated, but that doesn't mean it isn't also enjoyable. It is set in a Swiss boarding school, which wa
Lisa Vegan
Jul 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: L’Engle fans who might have missed this one, if lost mother young/boarding school experience
Not my favorite L’Engle but still worth reading. About a teenage girl whose mother has died who gets sent to a Swiss boarding school and her adjustment to her new life: her relationships with a new boy, her teachers & fellow students at the school, her father and his girlfriend. I love L’Engle’s flawed but gifted girl characters. A lot here that rang true, especially how an adolescent girl might feel when a father dates after the mother dies.

Important to read the reissue with Madeleine L’Eng
Joy (joyous reads)
My experience with this book is not very pleasant. I mean, it wasn’t bad. No, not at all. I suppose it can be compared to when one is reading the back of a Raisin Bran box of cereal while shovelling spoonfuls of them in their mouth: it’s good for you but in the end, it’s no choco puffs. The thing is, I feel like I’ve been gipped. The blurb at the back of this book advertises FORBIDDEN ROMANCE in big, bold letters. And if you know me, you know that’s a huge bait. Besides, it’s MADELEINE L’ENGLE! ...more
Meaghan
This was apparently quite daring when it was originally published in the 1940s, so much that it had to be bowdlerized. But it seems awfully tame to me. I read the original (non-bowdlerized) version and find myself wondering just what they felt they needed to cut out. The whole "mysterious stranger lurking around" subplot seemed pretty truncated to me.

Nevertheless, this was a good book. It does a good job portraying the claustrophobic, almost incestuous boarding school atmosphere (I would have HA
Valerie
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What girl doesn't fantasize about going to a Swiss boarding school, having a dashing artist father, a mysterious and beautiful mentor/teacher, and a dark, brooding forest boy to fall in love with?
Angie
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this may have been the last Madeleine L'Engle book I read (for the first time) as a teenager. And for some reason it holds a sort of distinction in my head because of that fact. I, like most other readers I know who love her books, got in on the whole thing with A Wrinkle in Time, moving on to the other Murry and O'Keefe family books and then the Austin family series and so on from there. I must have been somewhere around ten or so when I first read the Time series and by the time I got ...more
Gwen
This made me want to go to a Swiss boarding school with stick-up-the-ass rules and a bunch of kind of snobby girls.
Margaret
And Both Were Young is good as boarding school stories go and has a sweet, quiet romance, but I don't think the part of the plot which has to do with Paul's history works very well with the rest of it. I mean, the wartime amnesia thing is fine and interesting, but not the mysterious stranger part. Anyway, I do like the convincing way in which Flip grows from shyness to confidence during the course of the book, and of course I pretty much always like boarding school stories.
Deborah Markus
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a wonderful story, set shortly after World War II.

Philippa Hunter, a timid, artistic teenager, must attend a Swiss boarding school while her father, a professional painter, travels Europe. Philippa ("Flip" to her family) knows this year is going to be horrible. She's never been able to make friends – she's awkward both socially and physically, more so than ever thanks to a kneecap shattered in the car accident that killed her mother the year before. She's always clung to her family, and no
Bethany
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple & Sweet
Judy

Madeleine L'Engle's career did not take off until the publication in 1962 of A Wrinkle in Time, which went on to win the Newbery Medal and remains her most well known book to this day. But she began writing adult novels in 1945, novels that were published but did not sell very well and quickly fell out of print. She almost gave up writing in 1958.

Had these early novels been around when I was in my teens, I would have read and loved them I am sure. Reading them now, I like them better than A Wrin
Chachic
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here.

I'm so glad they decided to re-issue this one with a new cover and that I didn't have to hunt down an out of print copy. I love the new cover too, I like how the pink stands out against all that snow and how it portrays Flip and Paul taking a walk. And Both Were Young is similar to Camilla in the sense that it's a quiet sort of novel. However, there's more to look forward to in the former and I enjoyed reading it more than the latter. Even though I'm an outgoing person, I
Andy
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And Both Were Young is a story about growth, understanding and love. Three themes that Madeleine L'Engle handles with both strength and humility.

Philippa Hunter recently lost her mother whom she loved dearly. Her father, Phillip Hunter, is grieving and involved with a woman Philippa loves to hate, Eunice. Despite Philippa's pleas her father follows Eunice's advise and sends Philippa to attend an international boarding school in Switzerland. At the school she struggles with fitting in and making
Pam
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fiction
Written and set right after WWII, this book is a period piece by Madeleine L'Engle long before she became the best-selling children's novelist in the 1960s. Having been assured this book gives you glimpses of the nascent character traits that reappeared with Meg Murry years later I couldn't resist reading it.

Set in Switzerland, an American girl is sent to a boarding school because of her father's job. Philippa has to deal with being away from home, separated from her father, and still adjust to
Kiirsi Hellewell
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a rare book that leaves me closing the cover on the last page, feeling totally content, at peace with the world, and full of a warm "perfect book" glow.

This book did that for me.

At first it was hard to get into Flip's story...the first half kind of dragged. She had a hard life, and at times I was angry with the boarding-school teachers for being so hard on her. But to her credit, she took their corrections and criticism and tried her best to become the best she could be.

I loved how she gre
Annie
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, young-adult, romance
The last time I saw an edition of "And Both Were Young" was when I handed my copy over to a friend in high school. She liked romance novels, and I thought she should read it because it has the sentimentality of romance combined with a need for self-discovery. I never saw the book again, so thankfully it has just been released as a re-print.

I bought it and revisited this tale growing up, at first with some trepidation. What if I didn't like it as much as I did at thirteen? Would it tarnish my ro
Rachel Bergman
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And Both Were Young by Madeleine L'Engle is a fabulous book that has easily deserved its four-star rating. The story begins with a young Philippa, Flip, who is being sent to a Swiss, all-girl boarding school. Here, she finds herself an outcast, being made fun of and having no friends. Flip is only at her happiest when hiding from the other girls in the chapel or wandering in the mountains. However, when wondering, Philippa sees a boy, Paul, who she has meet before leaving for boarding school. Th ...more
Susannah Henning
I personally loved this book. I felt like the character Flip was someone that I really could identify with. Flip is a teenage girl who is sent off to boarding school in Switzerland because of her nasty potential stepmother convinces her father to do so. Before she leaves, she meets a boy and in a emotional rage tells him about her feeling toward her step mother. Unbeknownst to her he is staying in a little guard tower just up the way of her new boarding school. Paul, they boy, has a very mysteri ...more
April
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, library, audio
I need more Madeleine L’Engle in my life. Sure, she’s retro, but friends, I’m sort of sighing over the sweetness of And Both Were Young. Weird as this sounds, And Both Were Young totally relaxed me and was such a calming read – bringing me back to a different time.

Read the rest of my review here
CLM
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
American born Flip is miserable at her Swiss boarding school, and doesn't fit in with the more sophisticated European girls. Longing for privacy, she explores the nearby mountains and meets a French boy Paul, whose friendship beings her great joy and whose secret changes her life. My favorite L'Engle!

Monica Edinger
Well, I would have given it five stars when I read it over and over and over when I was around twelve. (I even tried to copy out the library copy, but gave up after a few chapters. In those times and place, I didn't think you could buy books. Living in East Lansing, Michigan circa 1964, you couldn't very easily.)
Michelle
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many many years ago, and it had actually slipped my mind.... until a little while back when all of a sudden i remembered reading and loving an amazing book about a girl in boarding school... i couldn't for the life of me remember it's title! So I searched and searched, and have found it!!! This book is wonderful! I am going to read it again!
Fysierm
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story reminds me of Spirited Away and Chihiro's journey, of how she went from a whiny brat to a young woman, intrepid and able to stand strong, supporting others when previously she was the one who needed the support. The characterization (of everyone) is superb, as well as the building of a post-WWII Switzerland boarding school, complete with a dragon of a headmistress.
Payal Jain
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely divine!
L'engle did Switzerland justice and there was some amazing character building. I adored the friendship between Paul & Flip. . . It was the stuff legends are made of. :)
This is one book that's gonna stay with me.
And I don't care that it's summer. I wanna get me some hot chocolate and go stargaze!
Kricket
first read: in high school
second read: in college
third read: december 2016

only part of the story takes place at christmas but i always think of it as a christmas story. so good to read again.
Fade
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming, with great voice, but marred by a few peculiar plot twists and at least one utterly implausible plot convenience. Not one of L'Engle's best, but still quite worth the read.
Nicole Clements
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with any book by Madeleine L'Engle, the characters are what shine through the most. And Both Were Young details the experiences of Philippa (Flip) as she adjusts to life at a boarding school. Set in Switzerland just after World War II, this story starts off slowly, but the plot soon picks up. The characters are wonderfully drawn, and deftly developed throughout the story.

After Flip's mother dies in a car accident, her Father decides to leave her at a boarding school in Switzerland while he tr
Devon
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. The simplicity and innocence of this story quickly made it one of my favorites. Outside of the Time Quartet, which I grew up with, and the Austins books, which hit close to home, this is probably my favorite of L'Engle's books. The wintry setting and the sweet coming of age story make it pleasant to read and there is still plenty of darkness (although some of it is unnecessary). I love the supporting cast as well.
Renee
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story about a young girl named Flip who must learn to deal with feeling homesick and must mature and accept her circumstances. She ends up meeting the right guy.
Differences between original and republished version? 2 9 Jul 20, 2014 11:45AM
  • The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case (Stanley Family, #2)
  • The Mozart Season
  • Long May She Reign (The President's Daughter, #4)
  • Glory in the Flower (Keeping Days, #2)
  • Everybody Needs a Rock
  • Morning Is a Long Time Coming (Summer of My German Soldier, #2)
  • Going On Sixteen
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • The Lost Years of Merlin Saga (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1-5)
  • This Place Has No Atmosphere
  • No Such Thing as a Witch
  • The Last Silk Dress
  • My Name is Seepeetza
  • In My Enemy's House
  • After the Rain
  • The Daring Game
Madeleine L'Engle was an American writer best known for her Young Adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Her works reflect her strong interest in modern science: tesseracts, for example, are featured prominently in A Wrinkle in Time, mitochondrial DNA in A Wind in the Door, organ regener ...more
More about Madeleine L'Engle...

“She began to feel the sense of wonderful elation that always came to her when beauty took hold of her and made her forget her fears.” 20 likes
“It was not an end, it was a beginning.” 11 likes