Start by marking “Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)

Spellbreaker

(Spellbreaker Duology #1)

A world of enchanted injustice needs a disenchanting woman in the newest fantasy series by the Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Paper Magician.

The orphaned Elsie Camden learned as a girl that there were two kinds of wizards in the world: those who pay for the power to cast spells and those, like her, born with the ability to break them. But as an unlicensed ma
Expected publication: November 1st 2020 by 47North

Win a Copy of This Book

• Spellbreaker by Charlie N. Holmberg
    Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)

Release date: Nov 01, 2020
    A world of enchanted injustice needs a disenchanting woman in an all-new fantasy series by the Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Paper Mag ...more

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3181 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 08 - Oct 31, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Spellbreaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spellbreaker

Start your review of Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)
    Charlie Holmberg
    Aug 05, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    In a world where magic is owned by the rich and spellbooks spawn from wizards’ corpses, one woman has the power to unravel it all . . . if she doesn’t get caught.

If you love Victorian stories, magic, or cozy mysteries, this book is for you!

Preorder on Amazon: bit.ly/2vVK8s5

Cathy
    Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Fans of Charlie Holmberg will absolutely love this. It felt very similar to Paper Magician while being something entirely unique. I could not put it down. (Except when I had to take care of my children. How rude of them.)

The magic is intriguing, the characters so well developed, and the plot pulls you right in.

How Charlie continues to write amazing book after amazing book is mind boggling. I'm sure glad she does, though.

The only downside is...waiting for book two. 😭
    Dave
    Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
    In the first of a two-book series, Holmberg introduces us to a young spellbreaker as distinguished from a spellmaker. If you are looking for gritty, rough-edged realistic fantasy, this is probably not the novel for you. Geared for a younger dreamier audience, it gives us a Victorian England filled with all manner of magic spells. Just not my cup of tea.
    Amanda
    Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thanks so much to the author for sending me an advance copy of Spellbreaker! Charlie has been a favorite author since I read her Paper Magician series. What I loved about that series is her ability to create unique magic systems yet write in a way that’s easy to understand. Though her worlds aren’t complex fantasy, they’re still fun and full of adventure.

Spellbreaker continues that, though the magic system in this book starts out a little more vague. In this world, there are two types of wizards
    Dana
    Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    How do I love Charlie N Holmberg’s writing… let me count the ways. Each one of her stories has a strong female lead who has such impeccable morals and a practical head on her shoulders. They are so easy to fall in love with and root for. I was a huge fan of The Paper Magician series, as well as The Will and the Wilds.

She has a way of building a magical world without completely overwhelming you in unnecessary world building. You dive right in with a character who is easy to identify with, and th
    Kari
    Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A truly remarkable book. I would go as far as to say this is Charlie's next "Paper Magician" series and one fans, myself included, will want more from for years to come.

Ellie is a unregistered Spellbreaker working for a secret society of Robin Hood type vigilantes.
    Bacchus is in England to gain his Master title in Physical Aspectorship (Physical magic)
    When their world's collide a greater mystery is unveiled. Who can you trust?
    Richard
    Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Very very good.

First of all , as my headline says...this was a very well written story. It kept me guessing the entire time. Even close to the end, I was wrong on several fronts.
    Magic is not my favorite story subject, and I came close to not reading it; but I'm glad I did.
    The heroine is extremely likeable and relatable. She can be duped, but not because the author makes her stupid; but because she is human.
    I am not a fan of "to be continued" stories, but this seems to be a trend that's here to
    Babel
    Cozy mystery, magic spells, and quirky romance. Oh, my.

This is perfect for fans of The Paper Magician. I am one of them, of course :-D

With an atmosphere touched by Jane Austen, this Victorian mystery is crafted with wit and charm in equal measure.

Elsie Camden is a smart, resourceful orphan working for a stonemason while dabbing in espionage and illegal wizardry. Can you imagine an alternative England where magic is almost monopolized by the aristocracy, mainly in male hands and excruciatingly
    Eloise Smith
    I have very mixed feelings now I've finished Spellbreaker.

Having seen this come up as a choice on October's Amazon First Reads, it sounded right up my street. Elsie is a illegal spellbreaker, she knows of magic but cannot perform spells, only break them. How does she know she is a spellbreaker, well she frequently receives letters from a mystery organisation she refers to as the Cowls that ask her to break spells that keep the rich and poor separate. Elsie therefore considers herself a Robin Ho
    Corinne Edwards
    4.5 out of 5

As a child, Elsie lost everything familiar and familial and was saved by an organization, the Cowls, that needed what she could do: undo the spells that spellcasters performed. Not just anyone has this skill, of course, and she knows she should be registered, but in order for Elise to perform the sort of work the Cowls require, stealth and covertness really is necessary. She's proud of the efforts she's made to protect those that need protecting and bringing the uppity down a peg, ev
    Julie
    Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book got much better as it went along. I had a lot of trouble in the first quarter of the book - the rules of the world are many and confusing, and there are lots of characters and places. The narration also switches characters, making it even more confusing. But by the middle, I was enjoying myself even though I wasn’t quite sure how I had gotten there, and the end finished strong. I did not expect the ending and was satisfied! However, there are also several clear cliffhangers left open f ...more
    Ida
    Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    4.5... This was a well written, quick read fantasy novel that I didn’t want to put down. Its plot explored elements that were creative and not overplayed in other fantasy novels. The half point deduction is for the incredibly apricot ending... it literally felt, like they took a full novel and just published the first half... PS the next book is out Match ‘21.
    Andrew Wideman
    Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020
    I really enjoyed this book and I hope the second in the series is just as well written. It kept me interested throughout and I loved all of the characters.
    Mike
    May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I decided to give this author another chance, even though she put a tyre swing in the 1870s in The Paper Magician .

The late-Victorian language isn't quite idiomatic, and a tradesperson's assistant coming to the front door of a manor house would be a huge social error in this period, so the author is still not really getting historical fantasy quite right. But the story is well enough told that I can mostly overlook this; there was nothing as glaringly anachronistic as the tyre swing, and the
    Tracy
    Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Another fun book from Charlie! It was just wanted I needed to mentally escape from our current quarantine. I loved Elsie, although I was a bit frustrated at her being so naive to always blindly follow the instructions she was given. There are many twists and turns at the end and while I had faith and knew it would end on a positive note, it kept me guessing right up until the very end. She did a fabulous job with the love interest and now I have to impatiently wait for the next book!
    Peter Baran
    Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    A fun bit of magical Victoriana, with a pretty lightly drawn society where magic is weaved in, is mainly for the posh and the intricate rules seem well sowed into an otherwise unchanged Victorian world. The magically adept can buy spells, can train up in schools and be mentored but it usually takes money, unless you are the one naturally gifted form of magic user - a Spellbreaker. Our orphan girl is one, hiding her skills as she is unregistered, doing odd Robin hood style jobs passed on to her b ...more
    Heather Button
    Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Ugh... I wish I would have started this when book two was already out so I wouldn’t be sitting here on the edge of this very high cliff!

Elsie is a spell breaker in a magical world in which she must be registered to be one. Spoiler alert: she isn’t. Enter trouble and mayhem. Spell breakers are born, whereas all people with magical abilities are taught their gifts.

Elsie is a Robin Hood type in her world, deploying her special skill set to help those less fortunate until she is caught and blackma
    Ty
    Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
    Well paced with some good elements and world building

I liked the character development and the magic system is quite complex from what I gathered. Elsie the hero of the tale is likeable without being a Mary Sue or on the other hand helpless. The plot was convoluted and I should be a spellbreaker to unravel it. It ends really abruptly with a reveal. I am assuming that there must be a planned follow up novel.
    Melissainau
    Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I enjoyed this gentle and kind novel about a young woman with the power to undo spells that others have cast. I particularly liked the novel magic system. A solid recommend. I bought the novel for nothing as part of. kindle promotion, but have pre-ordered the second part.

A criticism is that it stops quite suddenly; not quite in the sense that the book has just been cut in half, but it’s disappointing to have to wait several months for the story to end.
    Kira Simion
    Oct 02, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: prime
    October 2020 Amazon First Read available for Prime members.
    Beka
    Oct 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
    This sounds fabulousssssss. Gimme.
    Bill R.
    Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
    Not a stand alone book

This book doesn't have an ending. It just stops in the middle of the tale - obviously to be continued in a second volume, which is not yet available. Otherwise I liked it.
    Tracey
    Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Spellbreaker

Elsie is an unregistered Spellbreaker. Helped at a young age by a group she calls Cowls she works for them when they need her. She crosses paths with Bacchus and soon the two find themselves caught up in a mystery involving murder.
    I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to read and the story flowed from begin to end. The characters were well written and Elsie in particular was likable.
    Recommended.
    Mimi Abdul
    May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Charlie has always had the gift of creating an imaginary world that draws you in and envelops you so completely, it almost feels real. Each realm is so wonderfully unique, with the nature of magic taking such delightful unpredictable twists every time, that she will still surprise you again...and again..and again.

This book started out different and took a while to warm me up, perhaps owing to the unique complexity of the nature of magic involved. Then suddenly it got blazing hot and I found mys
    Caitlin Schanaker
    I was so excited to be able to read an advanced copy of this title (thanks Netgalley and Charlie Holmberg!) - I loved the synopsis and the cover art, and knew it'd be one I'd especially enjoy. And it was! One of the things I love about Charlie's stories is the perfect balance of predictability and delicious surprise. She lets me feel like I have most - if not all - of the story figured out, before stunning me at the end. This might also be my favorite magic system she's ever created. I loved rea ...more
    Emily
    Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Title: Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology #1)
    Author: Charlie N. Holmberg
    Format: Kindle (Bought via Amazon First Reads)

[ Enjoyed ] Yup!
    [ Last Read ] Today.
    [ Reread ] Maybe.

[ Cover Lust ] At first no, but liked the art after subsequent views.
    [ Intriguing Title ] Kind of.
    [ Interesting Premise/Plot ] *shrugs* (Skimmed and immediately forgot.)
    [ Preview Impressions ] Alright, I think I won't regret it. *buys*

[ Kept My Attention ] Yup!
    [ Got Bored / Mind Wandering ] Nope!
    [ Skimmed/Skipped Scenes/Chapt
    S. E.  Drummond
    May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Elsie Camden is a girl with a huge secret: an ability to unweave the magic others perform. As an unregistered spellbreaker, that makes her skill illegal and dangerous. An orphan, she balances her days between working for an employer and playing Robin Hood for a secret organization, going on missions to eliminate unjust magic. But then she meets Bacchus Kelsey and that tenuous balance begins to slip, dragging them both into more danger and intrigue than they'd ever thought possible.

I really enjo
    Jamie Jack
    Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020, fantasy
    Classic Fight of Good vs. Evil in Magical Victorian World

I loved the world created by the author in this story. Imagine a semi-realistic Victorian England where magic is real. The social upheavals that were brewing in the late 1800s are on full display; class distinctions and gender inequality were still codified. The author is guilty of information dumps, especially when we first meet a key character. I don't like seeing this in fiction, as it slows down the pace of a story. I much prefer a nov
    Anna Szabó
    Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Spellbreaker is my first book by Charlie N. Holmberg and she quickly became one of my favorites. A book about magic? I knew instantly it was for me and I was right. I fell in love with the world Holmberg created with aspects - people who can wield magic - and spellbreakers - people who can break them -. What an idea!

I instantly felt a bond with Elsie too. There are some aspects of her life - not the magic part, unfortunately - which are familiar to me because I've been through some some tough t
    Anna Szabó
    Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Haunting of Brynn Wilder
    • The Shadows Between Us
    • The Kiss Thief
    • The Dressmaker's Gift
    • The Hunting Party
    • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
    • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    • Seven Days in May
    • Dark Tempest (Red Winter Trilogy, #2)
    • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
    • The Cipher (Nina Guerrera, #1)
    • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
    • Red Winter (Red Winter Trilogy, #1)
    • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
    • The Haunting of H. G. Wells
    • River of Teeth (River of Teeth, #1)
    • Perfectly Impossible
    • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
    Charlie N. Holmberg is an award-winning, best-selling, and internationally published author of fantasy and romantic fiction. She was raised a Trekkie alongside three sisters, who also have boy names. She is a proud BYU alumna, plays the ukulele, owns too many pairs of glasses, and finally adopted a dog. She currently lives with her family in Utah. Visit her at www.charlienholmberg.com.

Amazon: amzn

Spellbreaker Duology (2 books)
    • Spellmaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #2)

News & Interviews

“Sometimes I wonder if it’s better to be informed or ignorant. Or, rather, informed and depressed, or ignorant and happy.” 1 likes