Start by marking “The Selected Writings of Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
The Selected Writings of Edgar Allan Poe

The Selected Writings of Edgar Allan Poe

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  1,354 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Thompson (English and comparative literature, Purdue U.) relies on Poe's original works as they were first published, solving the problem of Poe's rewriting habit. Among his selections Thompson includes poems, tales and sketches, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym and passages from Eureka: An Essay in the Material and Spiritual Universe.
Published September 1st 2004 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1849)

To ask other readers questions about The Selected Writings of Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Selected Writings of Edgar Allan Poe

Michael
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: goths, poets, aesthetes
Recommended to Michael by: Martha Grutchfield
I've been a Poe fan essentially all my life, since my mother read me "The Raven" on Halloween when I was a child. I read bits and pieces of his work throughout my youth, but didn't make up my mind to read through this whole volume until I was an adult. This is not a complete collection, but it does include most of the major works you've heard of, and, unless you are a Poe scholar, a few you haven't. They are organized into "Poems," "Tales," and "Essays and Reviews," and accompanied by an engagin ...more
Andy
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
This review applies to the Norton Critical Edition of "The Selected Writings of Edgar Allan Poe."

I bought this to supplement my reading of the complete Library of America edition, because the footnotes there were very sparse and I needed guidance. This seemed like it offered that. But it didn't; the editorial work was entirely unsatisfactory and simple-minded. A lot of Poe merits substantial annotation, but this editor isn't equipped to do it; his footnotes seem to be copied verbatim either from
Becky Hoffman
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So I needed to read some of Poe's works for my Advanced Literary Theory class and the ones in the textbook I was given were pretty straightforward. I picked up this little copy at work (since I work in a bookstore) and started going through this copy instead. Ok, anything put out by Norton Critical Edition is a-okay by me!
Not only did they have the poems and short stories and had some incredibly detailed footnotes to help give you a little bit of background on the piece or the biography of the a
Jeff Lanter
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Intense. That is how I would describe Poe and his work. If you aren't willing to match his intensity as you read a collection of his poetry and fiction then you may not get much out of it. Poe's prose and poetry is thick and contains many reference to things outside common knowledge. Footnotes can help you understand each piece better, but its also really easy to lose yourself in them and forget the actual plot. Of course, having a taste for the dark and/or morbid will also increase your enjoyme ...more
EB
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure, I only read the poem "Evening Star" and the following short stories: The Fall of the House of Usher, The pit and the Pendulum, William Wilson, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Facts in the Case of M Valdemar, and Hop-Frog.

Norton Anthologies are always solid in my opinion. They don't bog you down with literary criticism, and instead they only help you out when there is a phrase, word, or reference that would be unclear to modern readers. Poe's stories are really fun to read. They took m
Tiffany
Shockingly, I'm giving a Norton Critical Edition only 2 stars. Poe's short stories are fine and the poetry is okay; the critical essays, though, seemed like such a letdown! Some of them were loooooong and boring, and the general organization of some of them (i.e. how they were grouped in the anthology) seemed completely random and scattered. It just wasn't as happy-reading (in other words, me geeking out) or as insightful as most other Norton editions are.
Marc
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Not all Poe produced was gold, but there are soms real gems in his oeuvre. For me especially "The Pit and the Pendulum" and the realism of the "Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym" excelled. That last, longer story is really hallucinating, very detailed, pseudo realistic, enhanced by scientific-sounding descriptions. And that written even before the middle of the 19th century!
Sarah Staszkiel
I absolutely love Poe's works! For a while I had some of his poems framed up on my walls. My favourite has got to be Annabel Lee. I enjoyed each of his tales as well, laced with so much cleverness and humour as well as the dark themes that he's known for! I own several different collections of his that I picked up before finding a complete collection!
jacky
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read many different Poe stories and poems over the years. I have this collection, but I didn't actually read these stories out of the collection. From this collection I have read:
To Helen
The Tell Tale Heart
The Cask of Amontillado
Dianne
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it
That's a weird puppy that Poe. I wondered when I was assigned Poe in school what they were thinking giving this stuff to kids. Great writing I guess. Horror never quite was my thing or suspense either, but you've got to hand it to him. He has quite a following.
umberto
Oct 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I read some of Poe's tales from a literature course and felt amazed, therefore, I decided to buy this Penguin book. Those tales included "The Purloined Letter", and "The Tell-Tale Heart". Later I enjoyed reading "The Pit and the Pendulum" and found it maddeningly horrifying. A genius.
Adam Floridia
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Poe is great!

*Rereading stories to write papers for a series of conferences and publications. Being a Poe scholar is more marketable than knowing anything about the 20th C.

**Focusing on "The Gold Bug," "The Man of the Crowd" and "Hop-Frog" primarily.
Maybama02 Carroll
Jul 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: read4school
I have read him so often for class and I do not care for all of his work. I like "The Raven."
Chrisanne
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Poe had style. But he's not my style. That's why he gets the 3.

And I am glad we're done wth Poe... until next semester.
Kat
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading one story or poem a day...this is not a book you sit down and read cover to cover. Masque of the Red Death yesterday....still as good as I remember it.
Carla
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing how much one likes all these stories are after you're out of school and grown.
Jo
  • Extremities
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • New Stories From the Twilight Zone
  • Gilles Deleuze & Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives
  • The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry: Contemporary Poets in Discussion and Practice
  • The Portable James Joyce
  • The Quaker City: The Monks of Monk Hall
  • A Critical Introduction to Queer Theory
  • School is Hell
  • Great Ghost Stories
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
“The esteemed Reverend Rufus Griswold is everything I aspire to be, though I fear I shall never soar so quite as high as he"
-from his resignation letter to Graham's Magazine ”
2 likes