Start by marking “El sobrino del mago (Las Crónicas de Narnia, #1)” as Want to Read:
El sobrino del mago (Las Crónicas de Narnia, #1)

El sobrino del mago

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  336,144 Ratings  ·  10,107 Reviews
Narnia..., un lugar por el que deambulan Bestias Parlantes..., donde aguarda una bruja..., donde un nuevo mundo está a punto de nacer.

Dos amigos, víctimas del poder de unos anillos mágicos, son arrojados a otro mundo en el que una malvada hechicera intenta convertirlos en sus esclavos. Pero entonces aparece Aslan y con su canción va hilando el tejido de un nuevo mundo que
Published May 28th 2005 by Ediciones Destino (first published May 2nd 1955)

To ask other readers questions about El sobrino del mago, please sign up.
The Witch Woman For me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of…moreFor me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

That means, that you should read "The Magicans Nephew" first.

(I, myself, read in this order...)(less)
Air I did! This quote was pulled from the Harper Collins Website: "Although The Magician's Nephew was written several years after C. S. Lewis first began…moreI did! This quote was pulled from the Harper Collins Website: "Although The Magician's Nephew was written several years after C. S. Lewis first began The Chronicles of Narnia, he wanted it to be read as the first book in the series. Harper Collins is happy to present these books in the order in which Professor Lewis preferred."(less)

J.G. Keely
Suffers from the same problems as Lewis' other books, both his children's fantasy and his pokes at theology: Lewis' worldview is not sophisticated, and his sense of psychology has a large blind spot. However, it's not his faith that is the problem--it certainly wasn't a problem for Donne or Milton.

Lewis is simply unable to put himself in another's shoes, which is very problematic for a writer or a theologian. He cannot understand the reasons or motivations for why someone would do something he c
Justin
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's mildly embarrassing that I've lived almost 32 years and I've only read one book from the Narnia series. Well, I guess I've read two now, but I feel like I should have read those a long time ago. As an adult, it's difficult to even rate this book fairly because the adult version of myself wants to be all critical and make comments about how this isn't Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, but it's not supposed to be. And that's fine with me.

Is this the first book in the series! Is it the sixth
P
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, young-adult
“No great wisdom can be reached without sacrifice.”

I loved the narration of The Magician's Nephew, it's clear, imaginative, and addicting. This book took me book to the time when I was sitting and listening to my grandma's tales. She always told me about folklores. I can still remember the story about there's a ghost hiding in the closet, it made me so scared and never ever wanted to open the closet alone again.

This book literally made me feel like that. I kept wondering why I did and figured
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6), C.S. Lewis
The Magician's Nephew is a high fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis, published by Bodley Head in 1955. It is the sixth published of seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia (1950–1956). The story begins in London during the summer of 1900. Two children, Digory and Polly, meet while playing in the adjacent gardens of a row of terraced houses. They decide to explore the attic connecting the houses, but take the wrong door and surpri
Manny
My autistic-spectrum son Jonathan is fascinated by the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He wants to know what her motivation is. "Why is she always so angry?" he asks. "Why does she hate Aslan? Who is she like?" These are good questions. I have suggested that he should read The Magician's Nephew, but Jonathan only reads the books he wants to read and ignores recommendations. A pity, I would like to discuss it with him.

The White Witch is the best character in the series, and i
James Trevino
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that make you feel good on a bad day. It just puts a smile on your face, whether you read it for the first time as an adult or you relive some of the moments of you childhood through it. And no, I am not that old, even if here I sound like I am ancient hahaha :)
Dannii Elle
I have owned this beautiful set of illustrated hardback editions of these books since childhood and am only now getting around to reading them. After reading this spellbinding first installment I am so mad at myself that I have missed out on entering this world for so long.

I decided to begin reading this series in chronological rather than publication order (as per the numbers on my books) and I am so glad I did. This brilliantly sets up the rest of the series without giving any spoilers of what
Julie
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't been to Narnia in 11 years, and I wanted to take my daughters there for the very first time this summer, so I called my son (my Narnia expert) and asked him if I could skip The Magician's Nephew this time around, when I read it to his sisters.

My son was an only child for 12 years, (before the Disney princesses, Pocahontas and Jasmine, arrived), and I read to him, every night, religiously, for an hour, including C.S. Lewis's Narnia collection.

He's in college now, and he's a very respec
Eyebright
Dec 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: 2008-books, classics
Despite the fact that The Magicians Nephew is the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia, strangely, it is frequently overlooked. People skip straight ahead to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and then, at a later date come back to this book.

Personally, I like this book just as well as any others in the series. I love to see how everything got started, the lamp post, the wardrobe, the White Witch. Not to mention the beautiful allegory of Creation. The Magician's Nephew also has good morals
Adrian
Oh gosh, how many years must it be since I last read this book, 30 ? or more, who knows, but I zipped through it like we were the closest of friends who met every day. A true joy to read, that is how writing should be.

Probably one of the lesser known Narnia books but the start of the series none the less and our first introduction to Aslan, and a delight to read. 5 stars all the way.
I had no intention of starting this series this year or even anytime soon, but I saw the boxed set on the shelf
Alexis Ayala
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
El sobrino del mago es un libro maravilloso, lleno de magia, de valores, de reflejos de una realidad actual, que me sorprende que se haya escrito hace años.

Es una saga especial y confió a los padres estos libros para que se los lean a sus hijos, porque es de suma importancia que entiendan el mensaje, y los símbolos que tiene, además que el estilo es muy fresco y sencillo de ser interpretado.

Nunca es tarde para leer las crónicas, siempre encuentras cosas diferentes, siempre te diviertes y nunca
Mario
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
I really enjoyed reading this one. Fun and fast read, and I also loved reading about how it all started. And even though I noticed a lot of connections with Christianity, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I just enjoyed the story in general.

I think this is probably my favorite, right after Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
Deborah
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - of all ages
Juli
For Christmas when I was 9 years old, my parents gave me a box set of The Chronicles of Narnia. I read and re-read those books until they literally fell apart. I loved the magical story of Narnia, Aslan, the Pevensies, the White Witch, Mr. Tumnus, Eustace, Prince Caspian, Reepicheep, and all the other lovely characters in the series. I re-read this series every few years because the stories are still incredibly enjoyable for me. Religious allegory and symbolism never enter my head as I read this ...more
Elaina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten so used to always having a new Narnia book to read when I feel in the mood and now I only have one more book to read. Then I'm finished! It's kinda sad actually lol But I really had a good time reading this one! Definitely another favorite! But who am I kidding? I've LOVED every Narnia book I've read thus far xD I would love to see this as a movie along with some of the others. I hope they continue making them! Anyone else feel the same? :P Great book all-in-all. Loved getting to see ...more
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis is one of those books I read just because. Because I’d read The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe when I was a kid. Because I always wondered what exactly Narnia was. Because I’d watched all the Narnia movies with my kids. Because it was sitting on my son’s shelf collecting dust and it had a number one written on it: i.e. first book of the series. So because of all those reasons, I wiped the dust off of it and read it.

This b
Nadine Brandes
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this to hubby. He is now, officially, a Narnian.
Annie
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

Even though The Magician’s Nephew was written as the sixth book of the Narnia series, the story predates The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Seeing as this served as the prelude to the series, I chose to begin with this. Lewis himself is known to have shown a slight preference to this order of reading, rather than in the order of publication. And the reason to why I have chosen to start reading a children’s book now relates to the arrival of a very tiny human being in the Paul household, exact

Piyangie
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really a fantasy fan, but I have always wanted to read the Chronicles of Narnia, especially after watching the movies.

The Magician's Nephew, although 6th in the publication order, chronologically it is the first in the series. I read that C.S. Lewis himself had recommended reading this as the first in the series. Although written way later than the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, I can understand why the author wanted the readers to start his Chronicles with Magician's Nephew.

Here the rea
AnnaMarie
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was so beautiful.

Favorite quotes/parts:
"He put on a very high, shiny, stiff collar of the sort that made you hold your chin up all the time. He put on a white waistcoat with a pattern on it and arranged his watch chain across the front . . . He took his eye-glass, with the thick black ribbon, and screwed it into his eye; then he looked at himself in the mirror.
Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind. At this moment Uncle Andrew was b
Alex Farrand
“A damn fine woman.”

The Magician's Nephew is about the beginning of Narnia. Two children, Polly and Digory, are pushed into an adventure that leads to an unexpected, magical world by Digory's Uncle Andrew. What do the children's curious eyes discover, and what mishaps lay before them? The Magician's Nephew is the prequel to the Chronicles of Narnia.

At first I was unsure where to begin. Should I start chronologically here with The Magician's Nephew, or should I start by publication with The Lion,
Danny Phanton
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
¡Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, despierta, ama, piensa, habla!

Me gustó mucho, el libro se me hizo super rápido de leer y la historia de cómo se formó Narnia es simplemente maravillosa.

Polly y Digory son geniales, los ame muchísimo juntos, tan chicos y lindos descubriendo juntos sus aventuras y sus peleas debes en cuando, me encantaron.(view spoiler)

Muy entretenido, fácil de leer y que te va ade
Annabeth
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this was a really great reread! I noticed so many things I didn't when reading this as a kid, mainly the religious symbolisms of Aslan, the Witch, uncle Andrew etc.
A short but very enjoyable story :)
Kimberley doruyter
this one should really be read before the others.
it's a wonderful book to read to your children and give them a love for books for life.
Loran (Algonquiins)
I somehow missed out on reading the Chronicles of Narnia when I was a child and recently my roommate bought a box set of the entire series so I figured what better time to amend my ways? I honestly didn't know anything about Narnia when I started The Magician's Nephew because I haven't seen the movies or read the books before and I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. C.S. Lewis writes with such a fun and whimsical style that I was drawn into the story pretty quickly. My favorite thing abo ...more
Marie
I loved the Chronicles of Narnia as a child and was excited to read this with my 8 year old son. As a child, I thought it was so magical and amazing that these children got to escape to different worlds. As an adult, I now see the parallels to the bible, and the messages it is intending to teach. The end of the book becomes a retelling of sorts of the story of the creation story from the bible. I must say my remembrance of the book was that of a 5 star read, but in re-reading it, I can only give ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipinos group
Shelves: childrens, series
I really liked how C. S. Lewis imagined how those things that he earlier introduced in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe came into existence: the kingdom of Narnia, the professor, the witch, the wardrobe and the lamp-post. Wiki says that Lewis wrote this right after publishing that first book (in order of publication) but it took him 6 years to finish it. That's probably the reason why this became Book 6 (again in order of publication).

I am glad that I've read this as my third book and not th

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

My mom used to read me THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE when I was a little kid. I had always assumed that that was where the story began and it wasn't until fairly recently that I'd learned there was a different order to the books apart from publication order, where you could read them chronologically, in the order that the events within happen in the Narnia universe.

THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW was the second to last book published but is t
Luke Taylor
So what is The Magician’s Nephew?

description

What is the sunrise? What is the miracle of spring surviving winter? What is the shape-shifting of the moon or the sound of fresh snow fallen upon the earth?

You might just say it's Creation.

Or you might say it’s magic.

So I say, as a writer and a man who will forever be bound to the incessant need to communicate what I see (imaginary or otherwise) through the use of written words, that it is the magic of creation; that beautiful moment of spontaneous freedom so cl
  • The Princess and Curdie
  • Many Waters (Time Quintet, #4)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
  • Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Roverandom
  • Annison's Risk (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #3)
  • Greenwitch (The Dark Is Rising, #3)
  • The Iron Sceptre (Archives of Anthropos #4)
  • The Great Brain Does it Again (Great Brain #7)
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature

The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” 1656 likes
“Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.” 1475 likes