Start by marking “Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)

Dark King

(Court of the Sea Fae #1)

A snarky fae, a sexy king, and forbidden desire deep as the sea.

Once, I was a fae princess with sea-magic at my fingertips. Now? I’ma huntedsupernatural in a squalid shop, stripped of my power. My only comforts are stale cookies, Elvis records, and my hula-hoop. Until a lethally sexy fae king arrives and rips even those away.

After the brutal king throws me in prison, I
Published July 22nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about Dark King, please sign up.
C.N. Crawford It's the first of a new series. The series will continue in book two in a few months.…moreIt's the first of a new series. The series will continue in book two in a few months. (less)

Start your review of Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
Maca
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am not a fan of fairies, but I didn’t mind them here. So it was not the problem, but the problem for me was that the plot was dragging and it seemed to me like almost nothing major really happened during the whole story.
I was still waiting for something big to happen, but it never came and there was also cheating so it’s a no for me (there are people who count it as a cheating and people who don’t count it as a cheating, but in my opinion it is).
And I didn’t especially care about the
❤️Emma Book Lover ❤️
3 STARS

This is my first book by this author.. and I must say I wasn’t very impressed. I mean it wasn’t bad but didn’t kept me on the edge of my seat either.

What I liked was the world , where sea fae were the rulers . I haven’t read before a book with sea immortals and I liked it to be honest, was different, interesting and captivating.

I don’t have much to say about the storyline, was a continuous running: Lyr and Aenor trying to escape evil spirits . The plot was predictable and after 150
Princess under cover
Eh... as pretty as that cover is, I don't think I'll be reading another fantasy novel for a while. Just not my speed.

It wasn't bad.
Christa
I liked Lyr just fine. And he’s hot - look at that cover. But I sure hope Salem is on the next cover.

Why do I always like the baddie more than the designated love interest in the series?

Ok let’s get to the story.

Aenor is a fae living as a refuge in the human world. She’s close to her human friend Gina - who she rescued from demons a few years ago.

But fae aren’t to live with humans or do magic with them. So the fae enforcers are coming after her.

She shoots and kills Lyr right away. He’s a
melissafandomworld
3.5 stars!

So this was quite an entertaining read, I must say! It reminds me a bit of Gena Showalter’s Lord of the Underworld series combined with Amelia Hutchin’ The Fae chronicles books.

It has the same kind of set up when we compare first books; a feisty female lead, an alpha male who’s destined to be our lead’s enemy but can’t help himself falling in love with her even though he won’t admit it, lol. The alpha male is surrounded by brothers/friends who form a strong group together, that can
Kat
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Struggling with what to write because I just loved this book! It was absolutely superb! Writing style is amazing, with the appropriate level of intrigue and mystery that you’re on the edge of your seat and can’t put it down! I made the mistake of starting my journey through this book on my lunch break and almost ended up being late back to work because I completely lost myself in this fantasy world. Highly recommend this book and can’t wait for more!!
C.N. Crawford
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hope you love this as much as I loved writing the series. It has fae assassins spanning the British Isles and Israel <3 I had fun writing the banter. My favorite character is actually Salem, but we get to know him more deeply in book two.
Gaby★Me Myshelf and I★

It was good and I enjoyed it but something was missing. Maybe it was those extra two - or five- males I need in a book to really enjoy it.

Big feminist themes and lots of running for your life from fae out to kill you. The romance was kept in suspense which was good but I don’t think it’s an epic love.

Well written and easy to pick up on the world building if you haven’t read any other series by this author.
Not sure if I’ll go back or not yet. I did like it but not sure if there’s
Andrea
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

Sexy fae, assassins, interesting world building, and a mystery plot? Yes please.

So in this story we have Aenor, a disgraced fae princess, who has been living amongst humans since good ole Victorian times- and is now living with her human friend Gina- when two mysterious fae assassins show up at her doorstep to take her out.
See in this world only a small group of fae are allowed to use their powers in the human realm (mostly to hunt down other fae), while anyone one caught using their
Elke
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
This is the first book from C.N. Crawford that I've ever read and I can't wait to read some more!

I usually have a list of things I did or didn't really like in a book, but this time I only have one: there is a character called Gwydion and creatures called gwyllion. The first time I read about the creatures, my mind was going to the character and I really didn't understand what was going on. But thats about it really.

The story was amazing, I really liked that the characters each had their own
Kayla Wilson
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dark King was a wickedly good read, I honestly couldn't put it down. Aenor is an absolute bad ass and the chemistry between her and Lyr is intoxicating. Can't wait for book two!
Georgia
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice change of pace

Another amazing book!! This book was hilarious. I wasn't expecting the fae knights to use such modern slang but they did and it only made it that much better. Aenor is my kind of girl though she is just a tad power-hungry. I hope there's more of Gina in the next book, that girl is funny. The romance between Lyr and Aenor was more faster-paced than the usual romances of C.N. Crawford which only makes me think that they're going to have troubles ahead. In any case, I look
Carly
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book had so much potential. The plot was really well thought out and interesting, however, the execution was severely lacking. The main character and writing style were the most unbelievable parts. I found the main character's snark, while it had the potential to be humorous, was just childish and unbelievable. One minute she described herself as super powerful, but then the next she was explaining how weak she was. Lots of contradictions. Next, the actual writing style was very weak. There ...more
Penny
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book wasn’t exactly what I was expecting in a good way. The author mentioned this was more romance-oriented than her other books. I lean more to less romance, but since I like this author’s writing, I went ahead and took a chance. Yes, the book has more romance in it, but it does still have an interesting plot about Aenor’s past, Lyr’s past, Lyr’s half-brothers, etc. There was only one that that bothered me, and it is all my preference nothing to do with the author, and it’s that I can’t ...more
Magical Reading Nook of Ahtohallan
Brilliant

I really enjoyed this book and it will make me read the shadow far series! I loved all the characters and it had a rich mytho that I got lost in! Highly recommend!!!
Lisa
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS!!

Ok, this was really good. I've done a bunch of reading in the fantasy/romance world, especially as of late, and this is one of the really good ones. The idea was different, at least for me, sea-Fae, kingdoms and mythology under water, demi-Fae, I found it fascinating. I struggled a bit with the world, it's a mix of humans and others but I wish that part gave more info, maybe a map of the mixed world including underneath would have helped me see it in my mind, how the two mix or don't
TJ
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I will admit, this book may have rated slightly higher if it hadn’t come at the end of a long list of similar books with the EXACT same character traits. Seriously, does every author nowadays truly believe that to have a strong female character she must be snarky and nasty? I promise, women can be strong and still give a kind word now and then. They can even talk in paragraphs without being rude! SHAEESH!!

So, here’s the basic story. H/h hate each other and do really awful things to each other
Debbie Eyre
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing first book to this series! I got totally sucked into the story from the very beginning with its fantastic storyline and awesome characters! Twists and turns to keep u on the edge of your seat, this fun and thrilling ride is one you do not want to miss! Can’t wait to read the next book!
Mich Must Read
Did not like the main characters at all. Just Flat.
Rachel
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2020
This book was like a car crash: awful, but I couldn’t look away. I wanted to like this. I really tried, but I just couldn’t. Honestly, I bought this book and its sequel on a whim. After reading the synopsis, I wasn’t sure what to think, but it sounded interesting enough to give it a try.

The major downfall of this book was that the entire plot was super predictable. So much so that I started guessing what would happen next and mentally gave myself a pat on the back when I was correct in my
Pineappleapprovedbooks
Oookay!! Characters where terrible - like little kids who in one moment hits another and then five minutes later plays with toys together. All I want to say is that some things shouldn't be to0 easy to forgive. And I don't mean to be a bitch to a person who made you hit your head against bricks, I mean also two bystanders who just watched and where calling her in degenerative names. Main hero just later in book was like best friends with them and while still namecalling was included, it felt ...more
Lien *semi-hiatus*
I don't know what it was... I stayed awake until 4am cause I couldn't stop reading but then the 2nd part somehow fell flat to me. It was kinda predictable but not in the oh-I-saw-that-coming-way but more like I wasn't really wowed or shocked by the revelations. The tension between the h and H was good until they did the deed and I found myself suddenly not as invested in them as before. Idk it was weird. This is probably a it's-not-you-it's-me situation.
Cici
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hot diggity damn that book was hot! This is probably the steamiest book I’ve read by CN Crawford! I did feel like it was slow to start but really picked up at about 20%. There were a lot of big plot twists I definitely didn’t see coming. I really liked how Aenor doesn’t have much magic she has to rely more on her wits than magically ability. I can’t wait for book 2!
Jodie Louise
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: faeries, read-fae
This was such an easy guilty pleasure read, i flew through it in just a few days and honestly enjoyed it. Aeanor out main character is likable and witty the story coming in at just under three hundred pages is quite fast paced so i didn't feel there were any parts that dragged or bored me.

I don't know what convinced me to pick up this book i think it was that the fae are not just the fae they are sea fae and the concept of fae/ mermaid/ sirens just called to me! I had hope that the world
✭ emilee ✭
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
- 3.5 stars rounded up! the last 20% of the book really solidified it for me
- for the most part, i thought the plot and characters were decent enough. the beginning did give me major acotar vibes, but it quickly morphed into its own story which i was glad for. imagine acotar but instead of feyre being a human, she's a disgraced fae princess named aenor and has more of a vibrant personality
- this is one of those books where i'm really hoping the main character ends up with the "bad guy" b/c they
One chapter more
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars.

It was a little bit chaotic in the beginning but once I got into the story I was not able to put it down.

It was really fascinating and if you like all water things, this read is for you.

Our dirtling princess had a little mermaid vibe. But not a good cute mermaid from Disney story... More like Peter's Pan one that drags men to water to drown them and eat for dinner.

Can't wait for more.
jessica
random pick up as i was in the mood for something fae related and this showed up under the browse section. not bad, but nothing amazing either. i think i just compare every fae male to rhysand and, honestly, its probably not fair. lol. i maaaaaay continue the series. who knows.

3 stars
Ali
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmmm....kinda fun, kinda interesting, kinda hot. Nothing as epic as I was hoping for, but okay all around.
Witch-at-Heart
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Action packed from beginning to end!!! I absolutely could not put this book down I've read it 3 times and it is still riveting...

Absolutely love the characters in this book and the mythology is fascinating.

The Heroine Aenor is brave and endearing. I love that she owns her mistakes and is willing to openly discuss what she remembers about her painful past.

I really like that Aenor doesn't fully understand what happened to her but refuses to be ruled by the fear of the unknown and is fiercely
J.D. Brown
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark King had me hooked from the very first sentence. Probably because that sentence was "He's here to kill me." I mean, how is that *not* intriguing? Yep, I was a goner from that point on. Sleep? What's that?

description

Aenor is a sea fae and the last living heir to the kingdom of Ys - a magical city that existed on an island off the coast of Cornwall. Aenor was born with the power to control oceans. Anything her imagination could conjure up, the sea would do. Create hurricanes, drown cities, anything. But
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Trial by Fae
  • Heir of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #2)
  • Crown of Fire (The Forbidden Fae #1)
  • The Cruel Fae King (The Cursed Kingdoms #1)
  • Blood Trial: Supernatural Battle (Vampire Towers #1)
  • Queen of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #3)
  • Vampire Debt: Supernatural Battle (Vampire Towers #2)
  • Curse Breaker (Kingdom of Runes #2)
  • The Cursed Fae King (The Cursed Kingdoms #2)
  • The Hidden (Shadowed Wings, #1)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Winter (Evermore Academy #1)
  • King of the Fae (Blood Court, #1)
  • Releasing The Gods (The Titan's Saga #1)
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Scales and Skeletons (Trixie Towers, #2)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
C.N. Crawford is not one person but two. Christine (C) grew up in the historic town of Lexington, and has a lifelong interest in New England folklore - with a particular fondness for creepy old cemeteries. Nick (N) spent his childhood reading fantasy and science fiction further north during Vermont’s long winters.

Together they work to incorporate real historical events and figures into

Court of the Sea Fae (3 books)
  • Fallen King (Court of the Sea Fae, #2)
  • Rising Queen (Court of the Sea Fae, #3)
“Look, I am a good person. Or, at the worst, I am morally gray.” 0 likes
“This was the thing with men, as my mother—Queen Malgven herself—had warned me. It doesn’t matter who you really are. They write their own stories about you. They cast you in one of several roles. The innocent girl who needed teaching. The lunatic who needed calming. The whore who’d break your heart.” 0 likes