Start by marking “The Game” as Want to Read:
The Game

The Game

A game turns deadly with a killer who picks his victims one by one, letter by letter.

Every year the senior class at Lincoln High plays assassin. Lia Prince has been planning her strategy for years and she's psyched that not only does she finally get to play, she's on a team with Devon Diaz. But this year, the game isn't any fun--it's real. Abby Ascher, Ben Barnard, and Cas
Published August 4th 2020 by Underlined

Start your review of The Game
Linsey Miller
May 25, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hello all!

This is not a review. This is just going to be a quick note about the content warnings for THE GAME, and I hope it helps.

While this book has moments of humor and romance, it is still a murder mystery at its heart. It contains scenes of funerals, panic attacks, and parental neglect, and there are several graphic depictions of violence and death.

If you need clarification for any of these or a page number, I am happy to provide it. Also, if there's anything you might think I missed and w
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
I LOVE DEADLY GAMES OMG

(in books, not irl lol)
Angela Staudt
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the Publisher and NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Game is an event that seniors in high school play as their last hoorah before adulthood. You get teamed with a couple other students and have to assassinate your classmates one by one with water guns. Lia, the main character, has been waiting for this game since ninth grade. She wants to prove to everyone that she is good at something. While this game is mischievous, no harm is to be done to any of the clas
Rae
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Whew! That was a game turned nightmare! I went into this wondering how exactly a high school game turned real life murder mystery was going to turn out... and while I think that the author somehow pulled it off, there were still some parts that didn’t seem quite as genuine as I was hoping.

I knew that my biggest problem was going to be having the young high schoolers deal with a very mature topic such as the deaths and murders of their friends and classmates. And to be honest I think that’s exac
Rishika Aggarwal
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

If death were a planet, Abby’s and Ben’s families were rings. Lia and Gem were distant moons or cold, observant stars.

A high school game of water gun assassination turns into real murder, leaving protagonist Lia Prince and the rest of her team in the game - her best friend Gem and crush Devon - to investigate and find the culprit before Devon becomes the killer's fourth victim.

The murder mystery was a fun little plot, especially woven in as it was with the
iam
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, arc, horror-vibes
Exiting thriller with nuanced discussions about parental pressure and value only being put on academic achievements, though it has an unfortunate spoiler-y blurb.

Read the full review on the blog!

Content warnings include: murder, graphic descriptions of gore and death, violence, funerals, panic attacks, parental neglect.

I guess the spoilery blurb isn’t too bad, but it gives away the victims and the modus operandi of the killer, most of which isn’t revealed until very late in the book and is used
Lu
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. Thank you, Random House Children's and Underlined for the chance to read this book.

Every year in Lincoln High, the senior class plays Assassin. In teams, they have a target to eliminate, with water guns, until the next target and next and the next. Lia Prince is determined to win. She has been planning her strategy for years and she wants to be recognized. Not only now she will play, but she's in the team with her crush, Devon
Kelsea
It's a little tough to sort out how to review this book. First of all, the premise was brilliant! A game of Assassin that turns deadly & Agatha Christie mashup? YESSSSSSSSSS. !!!

The mystery aspect was fun. A bit campy? Sure. But fun nonetheless, for readers willing to suspend their disbelief. I loved that Lia, the main character, was really into board games, and how that translated to her own obsession with winning the game of Assassin.

Now, the writing style is where this book really gets me. It
Nnenna
Oct 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher for giving me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

This is described as a “mashup of Agatha Christie’s The A.B.C. Murders and Riverdale in which a game turns deadly with a killer who picks his victims one by one, letter by letter.” Although this doesn’t live up to Christie’s books, like Riverdale, the book is set in one of those small towns where everyone knows everyone.

I loved the premise of this, but I felt like the dialogue was all over the pla
Bookish Farheen
Oct 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Jackie
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I feel like this book succeeded in setting up an unreliable narrator but never managed to hook me with anything else.

“The Game” is a assassin themed event for seniors before they graduate and find themselves entering adulthood and for Lia it’s her chance to prove that’s she’s good at something other than just quietly existing in her brothers shadow but when some of the targets wind up dead Lia can’t escape the attention and time is running out to prove who the real murderer is.

For me the set u
여리고
Dec 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned, 2020-releases
This is quite reminiscent of the book I'd read prior to my having a GR profile. (I Am Number Four series) ...more
OutlawPoet
I'm sorry, but this was a DNF for me. The book reads extremely young - not YA, more like MG. The characters definitely don't seem like seniors in high school and at 41%, I'm still waiting for this to be like Riverdale or AHS or Agatha Christie. ...more
Aly
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Intriguing and fun read!

I enjoyed this story, I would love to play a huge assassin game and take out targets with water guns. I liked how seriously Lia took it, following people to get their schedules, writing down their fears, allergies, and other assorted information. Her friendship with Gem was cute too and I loved that Gem being non-binary just was, without any conversations or making it a big deal.

Then the game turns deadly and everything gets pretty crazy. The pacing was well done and I d
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
You had me at AHS: 1984 and Agatha Christie.
Blog | Twitter | Pinterest
Kaya
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-arcs
i guessed the killer but this was actually pretty engrossing! full rtc :)

a huge thank you to the publisher in exchange for an honest review!
Andhisnosestuckinabook
I went in with High Expectations for this one but felt like it was just a good enjoyable read.

The pacing felt really off to me being a thriller and only 230 Pages But at times it really felt like it was dragging. I loved the inclusion of a non-binary character who was just there and the fact that they were non-binary was the only thing about them.

I enjoyed the characters but did find the main character hard to Gel with but I think that was the authors point to find Lia unlikeable.

Overall it was
Lauren
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery
*3.5*

the characters were so frustrating and i hated the mc but loved the story
Farren
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
A book about students pretend killing each other that turns into really killing each other? Sounds fun, right?

Where do I even begin with this book?

My main issue was that the writing and the demographic didn't match up at all. This book felt like it should be middle grade, or specifically in the "teen" section of a bookstore marketed to 15 and under. Yet the characters are about to graduate high school and are facing (or have already made) important decisions about their lives.

It seems like a lot
Kait Goodwin ★Kait Plus Books★
Edit after second read: OH MY GOD I FORGOT THAT ENDED ON A CLIFFHANGER WHYYYYYY

What
The
Actual
Fuck

Okay, so I was right about who the killer was, but then... that ending??????????

Someone PLEASE come talk to me as soon as you finish this book because OH MY GOD I need to talk to someone about this!!!!!!!!!!!
Patrick Peek
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
*I received an e-ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.*

Linsey Miller is a great author, and I have loved all of her YA fantasy books. This is her first departure from that genre. While her premise was perfect, the execution was not. I love YA thrillers and this book definitely has some great moments. At less than 250 pages, I feel if this had been more fleshed out this book would have shined.

The Game is about a game called Assasin that the seniors of Lincoln High play every year. No one is mo
Brandy Michelle Michelle
The Game by Linsey Miller is a fun and harmless cat and mouse game that soon turns more sinister.
In her senior year of high school, we follow the main character, Lia, as she enters a fake Battle Royale like-game with other kids in her class. What should only be a fun, carefree water tag game with fantastic bragging rights, turns deadly when someone takes the game and puts in their own, murderous, rules. Lia finds that the antagonist is stalking her, and her teammates, to potentially frame her to
Monique
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars

I listened to the audiobook version over the course of one day.

I might be in the minority here but I didn't think this book was as bad as some other reviewers however, there are some places where I share similar thoughts. I think this book would've benefited from being 100 or so pages longer so characters and concepts could've been fleshed out a little more + I also agree that the characters seem a little younger than the 17 and 18 year old seniors they're supposed to be. Overall though,
Janelle Dazzlepants
A lame concept let down by clunky writing. This might've been passable if reframed as a middle grade novel, but as a YA thriller this was beyond weak.

The plot in and of itself is pretty lame. The senior class of this small Arkansas high school play the game Assassins each year, where you have to get your target alone and shoot them with a watergun. It's a very elementary school concept to start with, and then when people start dying nobody seems to take it seriously. There are no stakes or tens
Vighnesh Muraly
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
I really didn’t like this book.

I didn’t like the main character at all and all of her motives didn’t really make sense and I don’t think they justified for her actions.

The killer was so predictable and I already knew who it was halfway through the book. It was all very straightforward in my opinion and I would have liked a few twists.

There wasn’t any thrill reading this book and I was never on the edge of my seat when I read this book.

I expected a lot more from this book and I’m highly disappoin
JoScho
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
“If you loved American Horror Story 1984, you'll die for this paperback original thriller mashup of Agatha Christie's The A.B.C. Murders and Riverdale...”
Of course that sounds awesome but sadly it didn’t live up to the blurb. I feel like it had a lot of promise-all the seniors play a game called Assassins and need to kill each other (with water guns) and leave one standing. However, there is a real killer playing their own game. I struggled with the dialogue and the motivations of the MC. It did
William Rit
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book was soooo good but the only down fall was I figured out the killer early on but still a fun read !
El Hyrst
A solid mystery thriller with an interesting hook and fun investigation. I worked out what was happening about halfway through but still thoroughly enjoyed watching it all play out. A quick and easy read that's well worth picking up if you enjoy YA murder mysteries. ...more
Allie York
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Would have been 5 stars, but I figured out who did it before the reveal.
Still a thrilling book, recommend for lovers of Karen M. McManus
Chad
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Did not love this... character priorities felt all sorts of messed up... the ending felt kind of weak. Sounded like fun but in the end I’m glad it’s over.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Escape Room
  • Even If We Break
  • Fright Night
  • Five Total Strangers
  • Lois Lane and the Friendship Challenge
  • What Lies Between Us
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • The Trade
  • The Dugout
  • Diana and the Island of No Return (Wonder Woman Adventures, #1)
  • A Secret for a Secret (All In, #3)
  • Charming Falls Apart
  • Teen Killers Club
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Cut Off
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Worst Best Man
Originally from Arkansas, Linsey has previously worked as a crime lab intern, neuroscience lab assistant, and pharmacy technician. She now holds an MFA in fiction and is the author of the Mask of Shadows duology, Belle Révolte, and The Game. She can be found writing about science and magic anywhere there is coffee.