Start by marking “The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)

The Dragon of Trelian

(Trelian #1)

Calen, a lonely young mage-to-be, never dreamed that Princess Meglynne would become his friend. And impulsive Meg never imagined that secretly tending a baby dragon would cause her to be "linked" to the winged beast — for life. Being attuned to a dragon’s thoughts and feelings is exciting but scary, especially when their destinies are tied (for better or worse). And now Me ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of Trelian, please sign up.
Erin I think Maerlie is 17 and Meg is 14. It mentioned at one point that three years ago she was 11.

Betsy
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
You're going to laugh when you hear me say this, but I'm just going to come out and ask anyway: Where did all the fantasy go? I know that in this day and age of vampires, zombies, and zombie vampires (subgenre) that sounds weird, but when it comes to fantasy for the kids, not teens, it isn't like it used to be. In the heyday of Harry Potter you couldn't spit over your left shoulder without hitting some new wizardy/magicish wonder romp of fun and frolic. These days fantasy keeps coming out, but i ...more
Janet
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What an exciting debut novel from VCFA student Mikki Knudsen! This enticing middle grade fantasy is told in alternating points of view (girl and boy), making for a page-turning read for teens of either sex. I don’t wish to spoil the multiple surprises within, but Knudsen has created a unique world and an action-packed adventure. Wonderful descriptive language and strong and engaging characters complete the package.
Givenpreciousjules
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Margo Berendsen
I try to avoid spoilers at all costs, but just a warning: I love to quote excerpts of my favorite parts!

I recommend this book for many reasons, but the character of the master mage, Serek, is a big one - I think he has potential to be one of the great fantasy mages, just a step below Gandalf and Dumbledore - if this book turns into a series. Here's just a snippet that gives you an idea of his sarcastic character, and his cool sidekick, a gyrcat:

“What exactly are you doing?” Serek’s deep voice s
Treasa
Princess Meglynne has a great secret - a baby dragon that she has been taking care of in the woods. When she meets the castle's mage apprentice, for the first time she wants to tell someone her secret. Thus begins a friendship between Meg and Calen that will get both of them through the many hard times ahead. The kingdom of Trelian is in great danger, and it is up to the two friends, with a little help from the dragon, to save everyone.

It took me a little while to get into this book. Someone ask
Charlyn
This book is a romp--adventure, romance, and humor blended into a tale that will appeal to both boys and girls. Calen is a mage's apprentice who appears to be not the best student. Then one of his side trips on an errand takes him high into the castle where he meets Princess Meglynne who has come for the same reason as Calen--to watch the arrival of the prince coming to wed Meg's sister and unite two warring kingdoms. Because of this accidental meeting, Meg entrusts Calen with a secret she has ...more
Jill Williamson
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Review by Jill Williamson

Calen, a mage’s assistant, just wants to see the royal procession as it approaches, and he’s not the only one. Princess Meglynne had the same idea. The two become friends, and Meg asks Calen to meet her again. She wants to share a secret with him. When they meet again, Meg shows Calen her dragon and begs him to help her learn more about the rare creatures. What calen discovers horrifies him: Meg and the dragon are linked. Should one be killed, the other will die.

That is
Avanders
Review is based on an ARC.

About halfway through the book, I had to stop reading to do laundry. Walking to the laundry room, I caught myself thinking, "How is it so good?" Then my boss called and I was interrupted from my chore for a while. Upon returning to the laundry, I realized that all I could think about was what was happening in the story and what would happen next.

I'd like to congratulate Michelle Knudson on writing an engaging, fast-paced fantasy that is neither overly simplistic nor ove
Jackie
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jackie by: arc from librarything
Princess Meglynne, 14, has a secret...a big one. The kingdom of Trelian has not seen a dragon in ages, but Meg has befriended one and kept him hidden as best she can...until now. Calen, the new mage's apprentice seems to be the one she can trust with her hidden discovery. Calen is cautious of Jakl and senses a powerful link between Meg and the dragon. Calen is training under Selek, a powerful and unemotional mage, who doesn't seem to completely trust in Calen's ability or dedication. When Calen ...more
Juliana Hanford
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I blame Michelle Knudsen for the fact that I got no sleep the week I read this book. I felt like a kid again, reading Nancy Drew under my covers by flashlight. ("Just one more chapter . . . okay, just one MORE chapter . . . !") And I also have to say I think Knudsen managed to get in one of the best page-turns in YA literature. (But I won't spoil that moment for you by telling you about it.)

I've enjoyed tales of magic and dragons ever since I was a kid reading The Book of Dragons, The Loathsome
Kino Kino
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I find it unfortunate when books like this use young teenagers only to have them act not unlike old teenagers that make it so, make it seem quite unnecessary. It begs the question, the only question worth begging, the only one of its kind: Why make them 14 year-olds if they act like 16 or 17 year-olds?

By the way, if you disliked the way I wrote that first paragraph then you will find SOME parts of the book annoying as it manages to say quite a lot without really saying much. It's ok, but it gna
Erin
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I keep on forgetting that the kids' section at the library has more than just Magic Tree House and Rainbow Fairy books. I picked this up while browsing through and it was really enjoyable. Likeable characters(for me, this is very important in the overall impression of the book), and a good plot. And just to brag a little: I guessed it! I'm not going to spoil it here and say what exactly I guessed, but I did. For some reason, I really liked Serek. He was just that completely un-cheerful and tacit ...more
Kirsti
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I finally got to have a solid few hours uninterrupted with this book last night, and I read late into the night. I loved it! (obviously, books are the only reason to give up sleep) It was just such an engaging story, and I had to know the outcome, at least of book one. Would anyone find out about Jakl?

Speaking of Jakl, we need MORE dragon next book. He was my favorite part, except perhaps Calen. It was just such a simple, sweet character with not much aspiration outside of friends and having
Cindy
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young fantasy lovers
Recommended to Cindy by: Library Thing
Calen, an apprentice mage, and Meglynne, the third princess of Trelian, seem to have little to draw them together. But the two make a firm friendship in the face of an unspecified threat to the kingdom. The two of them, plus the dragon of the title, embark on a dangerous quest to save Meg's sister from death and prevent a war.

I liked Meg as a character and was intrigued by her link with the dragon, Jakl. It was also a nice twist that she is the impulsive, passionate one while Calen was the thoug
Phillip
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Dragon Of Trelian is a splendid return to the traditions of fairy tales and legend. Michelle Knudsen demonstrates a respectful treatment of these traditions fleshing them out with some intriguing innovations. She tells a story of a magician's apprentice and a princess (though not the eldest daughter) and their adventures in the midst of intrigues underlying a treatied marriage. Knudsen approach to the traditions of magic are well thought out. Her characters reactions are real and demonstrate ...more
Miss Clark
Dragons. Princesses. Magic. True friendship. All that good stuff, plus add in a murder plot, an evil mage trapped in-between planes of existence and untrustworthy suitors, not to mention the two kingdoms on the brink of a peace after centuries of war. Sadly, the evil mage is vague, Sen Eva escapes and it really and truly needs a sequel. Loved Calen and Meglynne and Serek and Jakyl and pretty much all the characters. It felt like a great fantasy story, a bit heavy on Meg's crush on Willem though, ...more
Linda
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the characters in this lively romantic fantasy. The plot was fun--anything with a dragon can't be all bad. The young princess has a secret bond with a dragon. She decides to share this secret with the mage's apprentice, whom she's accidentally met just before the wedding of her older sister to the prince of a neighboring kingdom. Of course there are treasonous villains to defeat and limited time. It's a great romp with magic and friendship and action in lovely balance. I liked i ...more
Marta
What a WONDERFUL fairytale! I enjoy fairytales from time to time and this was great. I enjoyed the exciting plot, it took fairytales to a whole new level. The characters were cool and their personalities were easily pictured. The details were amazing but not overwhelming and I could easily picture in my mind everything like it was around me!!!! I can't wait to read the sequal!!! April can't come FAST ENOUGH!
Abby Johnson
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
Calen, a mage's apprentice, and Princess Meglynne form a friendship when Meg shares her secret. Together they must protect the Kingdom of Trelian from an evil plot, but the future has never seemed more uncertain.
The perfect mix of familiar fantasy elements and new twists to keep things interesting. I'd hand this to any fan of Eragon, Septimus Heap, or Dealing with Dragons.

Full review on my blog:
Tracie
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elem, middle-school
Excellent! The story of Princess Meg and mage-in-training Calen who discover a wicked plot to kill members of the royal family and prolong a war between theirs and a neighboring kingdom. The two form an extraordinary friendship and find that working together as well as trusting themselves bring them strength and abilities beyond what they thought possible. The dragon is pretty awesome too.
Rad
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Maybe because, as some other blogger pointed out, it's more about relationships than it is about action? And we all know my favorite Library of Congress Cataloguing-In-Publication Data category is Interpersonal Relations.
But I also like the playfulness, the inventiveness, and the humor. Because it made me laugh. And to quote Roger Rabbit: "A laugh can be a very powerful thing."
Kari
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Middle grade fantasy dream-come-true: a girl, her dragon, and a nice guy to hang out with. Through the alternating viewpoints of Meg and Calen - a princess and a mage's apprentice - the story is a wild adventure of betrayal, magic, murder, and budding romance. Meg is an extremely likable and strong female character with a breathless quality, who sometimes has more inside of her than she can put a lid on, which makes for wonderful, subtle humor.

Lauren
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Dragon of Trelian has everything you could want in a YA fantasy book...princesses, dragons, monsters, sorcery, and even a little romance. It's age appropriate and since it has a little bit of everything mixed in, I think it would appeal to boys and girls. It's a fun and fast-paced plot and I'm ready to read the sequel!
Nadia
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It has all the great fantasy staples: magic, dragons, an evil sorceress, deep friendship. The ending was left in such a way as to leave room for a sequel. I hope one is forthcoming!
Auralia
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this in one day, loved it. It has everything a great book should: princesses, magic, friendship, danger, secrets, evil, and of course good. I had a hard time putting this down so I finished it in one day.
Chantal
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I love dragon stories! and this one is a cross between Eragon (except she is a female protagonist) and Merlin. Very clever plot, well set out and the female protagonist has guts and spunk (Hermione eat your heart out :-)
Cynthia
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great YA novel with both male & female protagonists. Too much focus on the princess' first romantic entanglement for some readers, perhaps, but it's a great clear-sighted look at the feel of an intense crush. Exciting plot & well written to boot!
Tara
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun read, for jr high level, still enjoyable - I'll read the sequel when it comes out.
Carmen
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book - can't wait for the next one. Easy to read, enjoyable storyline and well written.
Elizabeth
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down - read it through the night. Dynamic female protagonist. Definitely a different twist from typical fantasy. Loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Book Disscussion 1 0 Jun 23, 2012 06:14AM

• Black Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #3)
  • Ivy's Ever After (Ivy, #1)
  • The Dragon of Cripple Creek
  • Dragon's Egg
  • Happenstance Found (The Books of Umber, #1)
  • The Dragon Prophecy (Dragonology Chronicles, #4)
  • Fortune's Folly
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • Urchin and the Rage Tide (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #5)
  • The Grand Plan to Fix Everything
  • The Black Stars (The Planet Thieves, #2)
  • Garden Princess
  • The Storm Dragon's Heart (Storm Phase #1)
  • Gift of the Unmage (Worldweavers, #1)
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • Puddlejumpers
  • Lifeless (Words Made Flesh, #2)
  • Stealing Air
I'm the author of 47 books for young readers for all ages. Titles include the New York Times best-selling picture book Library Lion (illustrated by Kevin Hawkes); the middle-grade fantasy novels The Dragon of Trelian, The Princess of Trelian, and The Mage of Trelian; and the YA novels Evil Librarian (which won the 2015 Sid Fleischman Award for Humor) and Revenge of the Evil Librarian.

My next book

Trelian (3 books)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • The Mage of Trelian
“Meg, I’m not suddenly some kind of all-knowing dragon expert, you know.” 10 likes