Start by marking “Ike's Spies: Eisenhower and the Espionage Establishment” as Want to Read:
Ike's Spies: Eisenhower and the Espionage Establishment

Ike's Spies: Eisenhower and the Espionage Establishment

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Dwight D. Eisenhower's public image was that of a wide-grinning Daddy Warbucks who preferred the golf course over the cabinet room. He was perceived as a military bureaucrat who never held a combat command. A Republican sandwiched between two Democratic administrations, he lacked the political vigor of his predecessor Harry S. Truman and the star quality of his successor J ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by University Press of Mississippi (first published January 28th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ike's Spies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ike's Spies

C.H. Cobb
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ambrose is an expert on Eisenhower, a fact which is quite apparent in Ike’s Spies, a heavily researched, fascinating book about the beginnings of the CIA. A very good read, the volume is a good representation of the quality of Ambrose’s writing and story-telling. Though the author is favorably disposed toward Eisenhower, he does not sugar-coat Ike’s miss-steps, nor those of his agents.

The book begins with Churchill informing Eisenhower of the ULTRA secret in 1942, and then moves into the gradual
Neal
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, kindle-book
This was good, but not as good as I had hoped.
Beryl Cook
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Raised in the era of 007 movies, I never thought of the actual details behind the use of spies by our leaders. This book begins with Eisenhower's education by Churchill on the whole spy system. This ultimately leads to the joint arrangement between the U.S. and Britain with their mutual use of spies, code crackers, recruitment of double agents, and the French underground, all.of which contributed so heavily to winning WWII. Afterwards, the Cold War begins, and so does more intrigue and covert op ...more
Thomas
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating historical account of Ike's use of intelligence and espionage as General during WWII and as President. Focus is on WWII where Churchill introduces Ike to espionage, and on the Cold War where intelligence & espionage were used successfully and not so... as in attempted Castro assassinations and ultimately the Bay of Pigs. Ike didn't invent espionage, but became a brilliant master -- a supreme commander -- at using intelligence and creating effective intelligence organizations. All ...more
Erneilson
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
A bit ponderous but interesting history, especially the WW II era. I remember the 50's and 60's pretty well although as a young boy/teenager I probably wasn't as aware as I should be, so this book brought me up to date on some of the events of that period. The book tries to exonerate Eisenhower from the CIA's shenanigans, but their black ops are still a black mark on our country in my opinion. But that's just an opinion.
Don LaFountaine
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. History has shown Ike to be an easy going, he had things under control, and such a likeable person that he was above anything and everything. This book shows how he was not such a benign and caring person; that there were things he held dear, and if someone or something got in his way or had to die, then so be it. It was an interesting book about a President who gets much deserved accolades, but a person who has had a number of his deeds whitewashed.
Dave Mccormick
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
More like a 3.5 star book for me. Effectively debunks many myths of Ike being an ineffectual president or just interested in playing golf. Covers the start of the OSS and events that led to it's growth as the CIA. Although Stephen Ambrose is clearly a fan of Eisenhower, the book is pretty even-handed in it's assessments of the intelligence successes and failures under his watch.
John Hilton
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative and exciting

Very interesting book. Early chapters dealing with WW2. A little lull in the middle found myself losing interest but I pushed on and the later chapters a great. Worth it
Dennis
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm generally not a history fan but this belied the impression of Eisenhower as a sedentary President and showed him as not the bumbling accidental Chief Executive we're accustomed to seeing. Some successes, some failures, but involved.
Daniel
Jun 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
His history may sometimes be questionable, but he is incredibly readable--the Ken Burns of military history.
Sharon
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about the behind the scenes at the time of Eisenhower's presidency and the start and power of the CIA at that time. Some I found disturbing. My kind of read though so enjoyed.
Victor Anderson
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly good read!
Peter
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting having been written in the late 1970's it raises questions about American foreign policy that are more even more salient now.
Matt Clem
A very interesting look at counter-intelligence leading into the D-Day invasion and the birth of the CIA after the war.
Conor
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is a incredible story about how the CIA was started.
Steve Pierce
Scott Wisniewski
Jul 07, 2013
RJ
Dec 22, 2012
  • For the President's Eyes Only: Secret Intelligence & the American Presidency from Washington to Bush
  • Intelligence: From Secrets to Policy
  • The Man Who Kept the Secrets: Richard Helms & the CIA
  • The Cold War: A Military History
  • The Wizards Of Langley: Inside The CIA's Directorate Of Science And Technology
  • Battleground Berlin: CIA vs. KGB in the Cold War
  • Inside the Company: CIA Diary
  • 1000 Years for Revenge: International Terrorism and the FBI--the Untold Story
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower (The American Presidents, #34)
  • Bin Laden: The Man Who Declared War on America
  • Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency from the Cold War Through the Dawn of a New Century
  • Challenge for the Pacific: Guadalcanal: The Turning Point of the War
  • The Double-Cross System: The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • Beyond Bin Laden: America and the Future of Terror
  • A Fiery Peace in a Cold War: Bernard Schriever and the Ultimate Weapon
  • The Spy's Bedside Book
  • The Phantom Major
  • Zero Hour (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #7)
Stephen Edward Ambrose was an American historian and biographer of U.S. Presidents Dwight Eisenhower and Richard M. Nixon. He received his Ph.D. in 1960 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

More about Stephen E. Ambrose

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99