Start by marking “The Truth About Horses, Friends, & My Life as a Coward” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Horses, Friends, & My Life as a Coward

The Truth About Horses, Friends, & My Life as a Coward

So you think you love horses? That’s what Sophie Groves thought too. But she found out that horses are a heap of trouble. Her trials began at five years old when her mom brought home Really (a.k.a. Really Mean), the nastiest pony in Maine. Two horses later, Sophie is still learning to deal with these crafty creatures, while trying to find friends who will like her for who ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Two Lions

Avid Book
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really managed to capture the spirit and mystery of the reality

Of the allure. And why so many teenage girls never do grow out of their horses phase. Not complaining! Kept me from becoming a kid on the wrong side of the law, same for my own when they came along, and the means to support them when my marriage fell apart.
Lexi Lucy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, favorites
This is a really funny book that talks about the true meaning of friendship, reveals the mind of a frightened young girl, and shows the pros and cons of a horse. the hilarious illustrations and easy sentences are easy and fun to read. My all-time favorite!
Jeff
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mixing the droll, deadpan understatements of the traditional Maine storyteller and the tongue-in-cheek humor of a Sciezska or a Pinkwater, Sarah P. Gibson offers 16 delightful vignettes of native, Maine Islander Sophie Groves’ struggle deciphering what’s easier: living with three crafty, ornery, downright nasty horses or discovering true friendship among her classmates. Her seemingly doomed attempts to win the respect of her family’s three horses, while at the same time navigating the social wor ...more
Katie
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-for-kids
I thought this book started out quite boring but improved as it went. At first it was just about the mean old pony Really. Eventually other horses arrive along with friends and crazy neighbors that add some interest. Unfortunately it never picked up enough for me to really enjoy it. Other than the friendship theme I really didn't see much of a point to the book. I'm not sure that anyone other than a real horse lover would enjoy it. As I am neither from Maine, nor a horse lover, nor one to encour ...more
Erik
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a book that I was not found of at the beginning of the story, but it got substantially better as the book went on. It took me about 40 pages before I had a good feel for what was going on with the book. Though I understand the urge to have a little fuzziness in the beginning, in this case it didn't do anything for me. Once the real story started though (and the auther stopped trying to be mysterious), it was a good book. Nothing ground-breaking and not particularly deep, but still a fin ...more
Tara
Mar 11, 2010 rated it liked it
So...I really did like this book. I got it from the library for a bit of light reading, since I've been reading a lot of heavy books lately. I think I would have liked them better if the story had an actual plot instead of mini-episodes. However, I did enjoy the witty banter. I found myself laughing in certain spots during the novel, which never happens in books. I also found myself relating with Sophie.

I don't know if I would necessarily recommend this book to anyone, but I wouldn't oppose it i
Nancy
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I LOVED this book. So well written, funny...touching and fantastic! I know it's for 8-12 year olds, but everyone should read this book, even if you don't like horses, well maybe especially if you don't like horses. Sarah Gibson can really write and make me see the hilarious scenes and people who give her book life! The illustrations are wonderful, they add just the right touch. Pretty perfect and perfect for all ages.
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was reluctant to read this at first, but was quickly hooked. I really enjoyed the way that Sophie talked about her horses. It reminded me of "Knucklehead", which I also really liked, in the tone.
This is a 2011 Battle of the Books selection.
Shanyn
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So, funny. Glad there is a book that shows the variety and personalities of horses. Emily has been bugging for a horse, I think she is rethinking it! Reminds me a little of McManus, lots of great short stories looped together.
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: family
Fine, short, funny. The girlish but sarcastic and self-deprecating voice of the narrator was refreshing and funny.
Roberta Henson
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So cute, very realistic;)
Clarissa
Jul 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Got this for my horse-crazy daughter, but I ended up reading it and rather enjoying it. Sweet little memories of growung up.
Megan
Nov 04, 2010 added it
A quick, easy read about a girl's (mostly bad) experiences with horses.
Susan
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I read this book because it is a Washington Sasquatch Nominee 2011. It is an awesome book and any 3-9th grader should read this. I recommend to adults too.
This book is HILARIOUS!! AND it is set in Maine by a Maine author.
Shannon
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Fun story, satisfying ending. I thought that the illustrations, although great, didn't quite match the book's style... Recommended as a quick read.
Cheryl
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny, well written, with a great lesson in friendship.
Kimberly
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Easy to read. Not as funny or fun as I hoped. Was just ok. Wouldn't necessarily recommend this read.
Elizabeth
Mar 20, 2014
Katherine Lull
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sarah P. Gibson is a librarian and a traveler in addition to being a writer. Actually, she calls herself a storymaker because she loves stories in all forms. Reading is one of her top choices but she also loves stories in live action form and has enjoyed sharing storytelling in various places, from campfires in Saudi Arabia to library basements in Maine...

To learn more about Sarah please visit www