Start by marking “Until the Sun” as Want to Read:

Until the Sun

Responsibility.
Authority.
Mortality.
If you could liberate yourself of these burdens, would any cost be too great?

On a hot August night, a troubled fifteen-year-old boy with a tragic past wakes to find his tyrannical foster parents murdered by a trio of nocturnal, blood-drinking heathens. The killers give him the opportunity for a new life, one where he can be relieved
Published October 31st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Until the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until the Sun

Start your review of Until the Sun
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
I'll admit that sometimes, I go into a book with some preconceived notions based on expectations generated by social media or maybe some other random influences.
When I picked up UNTIL THE SUN by Chandler Morrison, I was prepared to face a vampire novel leaning heavily on Chandler's brand of extreme horror/bizarro.
I was surprised by the first sentence: "Google tells you that you're going to die at 7:06 AM". I don't read very many books in the second person POV, you. So that was totally unexpected
Travis Davis
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We’re Immortal Dude!

On the surface level Until The Sun is a fantastic and fresh take on the vampire tale. I was somewhat doubtful on the vampire premise but Chandler definitely made vampires cool again.

But once you pry apart the books ribcage and get to digging inside is where you start to find what this book is truly about and that is the alienation of youth and it’s strengths and weaknesses.

It does a marvelous job of trying to understand and compartmentalize grief and loss, as well as touching
Rayne Havok
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SERIOUSLY! This mother effer knows how to write a book!
I just spent the whole day with my eyes glued to this. I can't say enough good things about this author in general. Fucking BRILLIANT!
Check it out, or whatever...I guess, if you want to.
Mindi
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow soon...
Deb Soward
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am suffering from a major book hangover! I just finished Until the Sun by Chandler Morrison. This is the first book I have read by this Author. I was immersed, hypnotized by this story.
This is a Vampire Coming of Age Story told in second person. This story is extreme at times, but told in such a beautiful poetic way. Morrison has a way with words. The Author also has a way of making you feel sorry for deplorable characters and situations. This book goes down as one of the best books I have e
Brad Tierney
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stay Away... From Captain Howdy

Well, Chandler has solidified himself as one of my all time favorite authors on the planet with this story, one of the sickest vampire tales ever created. Bleak, and I mean way, way bleak, an absolutely pulverizing assault on the senses at times, ohhhhhhhh JFC I’ll never forget this book. Ever. Brutality, truthfulness, pain, so much pain, gore, gore, gore, good God almighty the gore.

Characters I grew to loathe, love, loathe again.

An unrelenting pacing, I read this
Tara Losacano
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely epic! Chandler Morrison writes extreme horror like no other. His books are twisted and depraved yet poetic. This is my third read of his and they've gotten better and better each time. Always a 5/5 skull read with Morrison💀
Christina Eleanor
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Faced with the reality that he's now an orphan due to the brutal murder of his parents, a young teen can focus only on one thing...revenge. While placed with relatives, he's uncertain of his future. Uncertain he even wants to live until a series of coincidences guide him to a person that can mold and give him the tools to prepare for his mission of killing the man who murdered his parents...immortality. Morrison takes us on a roller coaster ride of love, loss, friendship, loyalty, and heinous ac ...more
Lucas Mangum
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Chandler Morrison's Until the Sun is full of pain, beauty, and some of the best prose I've read all year. His words evoke a wide range of emotions: Horror yes, but also joy, sadness, longing and bleak cynicism, often on the same page. If this is the new bar, the rest of us need to work a lot harder.
Sea Caummisar
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4.
I'm not a vampire fan.... However I liked this vampire story more than most.
Anyways, second person was refreshing. It's rare for me to read a book saying 'you' all the time. I get it. It's supposed to put me in the story. It did not.
The story was interesting, but I didn't find any of the characters likeable. Not even me (my character). Especially when my friends brought their politics into the story. I read to escape reality. Not to read about characters bashing our pre
Daniel Volpe
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, but not for the weak hearted. Definitely one of my favorite vampire books and a great read all around. The details used by the author were well thought out. There were times I used all of my senses when reading certain passages. He left a lot of clues for the ending, so if you're paying attention it shouldn't be a shock. The last line is a great close to the book and really encompassed the entire feel of the story.
Sandra Ramirez-Noguchi
The BEST vampire novel I have ever read!!! Haunting, disturbing, original and not like anything I ever expected. Couldn't get through the pages fast enough. Not for the faint of heart or stomach. Recommended for true horror fans . . .
Richelle SheReadsHorror
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The writing style itself intrigued me. It puts you in the characters shoes almost as if your playing the main character as a video game or reading a script. I think this really got me more into the story. The main character , Casanova (his nickname) , encounters home invaders that kill his foster parents. The home invaders are vampires. He doesn’t have much reaction to the death scene displayed in front of him. The vampires think he might be a good fit to join their ranks but first he has to pro ...more
Iain MacCallum
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Vampire tale with a difference.

This certainly is a vampire tale with a difference. It reads like a cross between The Lost Boys and Near Dark but with much more violence, sex and horror. What's not to like!!!!
Ash
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Until The Sun was my choice for the letter U in my A-Z challenge I am currently doing, and is the 2nd book by Chandler Morrison that I've read (the first being Dead Inside) - This is not as gory and explicit as Dead Inside but still has it moments for sure.

There's a few things I didn't like about this book so I'm gonna start there. 1: the ending. I'm really bad at guessing plot twists and endings and nearly always get it wrong but I kinda saw this one coming. 2: the political commentary I felt w
Erica Metcalf
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Until the Sun by Chandler Morrison is a tale about a very troubled fifteen-year-old boy. Everywhere this boy goes, death soon follows…

I picked this book up after Mr. Morrison announced some personal news on Twitter. Shortly afterward, a group of horror fans all joined together to do a read-along. I’m so happy that I was able to participate! <3

Let’s dive in!

Until the Sun was a book that is WAY out of my comfort zone. If it wasn’t for our group that were all reading this together to discuss, I pro
Matt (TeamRedmon)
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up last month in order to support the author, Chandler Morrison, who had gotten a cancer diagnosis. I knew nothing about it and hadn't read any of Chandler's work before, but it had good reviews on here and I'm always down to try a new author. I'm happy to report that this book is quite good. I hosted a group read on Instagram and it was a blast to read this with other people because there ended up being interesting discussions on our different theories on what was happening to ...more
Jason Peters
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Until the Sun by Chandler Morrison can best be described as The Devils Rejects retold as a vampire novel written by the lovechild of a three-way between Jay McInerney, James Dean, and Brett Easton Ellis.

I say this, of course, in loving praise.

It is a juxtaposition of mature prose and youthful narrative, the emotions of adolescence as told through a lens of wisdom and experience.

It languishes in its sensibilities, content to unravel at a slow pace punctuated by moments of jarring violence.

Most in
Jeff
May 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A sex and gore filled teen outcast revenge fantasy with unlikeable, gullible characters and weirdly written in a 2nd person point of view. There is a plot twist at the end most readers will figure out far before it’s over.
Ivo
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book remind me of The Lost boys for some reason.
Escapereality
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
review to come
Patrick R. McDonough
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Where do I even start with this one? It was my first conscious reading of a splatterpunk novel. It’s captivating with its character development. It’s a story about a teenage boy who joins a group of vampires. You can make a case that this is a coming-of-age tale too, which I was pleasantly surprised about.

Why would I categorize this as a coming-of-age though? Simply put, even though our protagonist is introduced as a fourteen-year-old-boy and it ends on his sixteenth birthday, over the span of t
Karmen Wells
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Baby Lucifer, the carnage in these pages! Morrison is relentless with the vivid gore and the brutal disgust--it's fantastic. His innovative take on the vampire pulls from the angst and confusion of modern youth trying to determine the terms of morality when truth is apparently relative in the age of the Internet. Morrison has taken a well-worn horror trope and turned into something truly original and contemporary.

And if that isn't enough to entice you, know that tangled between the slashe
J.D. Graves

• White Pines
  • The Living Dead
  • Hunger on the Chisholm Trail
  • We Need to Do Something
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • They All Died Screaming
  • Crossroads
  • When the Shit Hits the Van (The Neon Owl #1)
  • The Patience of a Dead Man