Start by marking “I Will Teach You to Be Rich” as Want to Read:
I Will Teach You to Be Rich

I Will Teach You to Be Rich

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  14,461 Ratings  ·  1,058 Reviews
At last, for a generation that's materially ambitious yet financially clueless comes I Will Teach You To Be Rich, Ramit Sethi's 6-week personal finance program for 20-to-35-year-olds. A completely practical approach delivered with a nonjudgmental style that makes readers want to do what Sethi says, it is based around the four pillars of personal finance— banking, saving, b ...more
Published March 23rd 2009 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Teach You to Be Rich, please sign up.
Leonardo Gulyas Yes it is. Read my review, I specifically reviewed from an international reader perspective.
Ido
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chad Warner
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chad by: StartupNation
Shelves: finance, non-fiction
This is definitely the best personal finance book I've read so far. It's a logical, step-by-step, practical handbook for financial success, specially written for twenty-somethings. It was better than the personal finance books I've read by Eric Tyson, Andrew Tobias, Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, and Robert Kiyosaki. See my Finance shelf on Goodreads for my reviews of those books.

Sethi gives advice on “automatically enabling yourself to save, invest, and spend - enjoying it, not feeling guilty...becau
Jason
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I tried summarizing the main things to learn at:

I've pasted the most important bits below, but for a lot more (hopefully useful) info, check out the linked doc.

The Overall Gist: This book is about how to manage your money, particularly for young people (20's). It's about the 85% solution: most young people don't manage their money because they believe they have to be experts, but what actually matters is getting started NOW, even it's only 85% right.

6-Week
Dustin Taylor
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
While I don’t agree with everything he said, I do agree with some of the things he talks about. I personally found the investment chapters worth reading as I didn’t know very much and he lined out what my options were and explained what they were in a clear and fun way. The entire thing about using a credit card for everything to get points and other “benefits” doesn’t quite work for me, but it may for him. I don’t know anybody who has ever gotten rich because they received points from credit ca ...more
Alex Pyatetsky
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've never wanted to give a book 2 stars so badly. As a warm blooded, heterosexual male - the obnoxiousness and irrelevance of Ramit's frequent fratboy asides is really grating. I'm sure he has some kind of "gotta break some eggs to make an omelette" rationale, but buyer beware. You're going to read some shit that sounds like Tucker Max, minus the funny.

THAT SAID - I gave the book 4 stars.

Why? If you don't have your finances in order, Ramit gives you a clear, actionable plan on what to do, what
Jamie
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Ramit has some good points in this book. I liked his no-BS approach and I found his points about automating finances worthwhile, if it didn't exactly give me new information. I found the section about investing to provide helpful information about index funds, which I had wondered about. He is right on the money about saving up for weddings/homes too, which somehow people just expect to pull massive amounts of money together for, on a whim. Excellent points, all.

That said, I really dislike this
Jean-Luc
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In one chapter, this book briefly describes a girl that spends $5,000/year on shoes. Since it's a book on being rich, I figured she *must* be rich in order to waste that much money on shoes. But no, her annual income is about half mine. She's able to do this because she decided that "$5,000/year on shoes" was her own personal definition of "rich" and she oriented her life around that decision.

That's all this book is: deciding for yourself what it means to be rich and acting on it. Everything's b
Emily Whetstone
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Don't let my star rating mislead you. You should read this book. The advice is very good and clear.

I just can't honestly say I loved it, because I found the author's examples of what it means to be rich (repeated references to being fed grapes, etc, by lovely younger women) to be off-putting. Also, the layout is terrible. The flow of chapters are continually interrupted by smaller stand-alone sections, which should have been better placed so you wouldn't have to choose between interrupting the
Derek McDow
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance-business
Deficient in style, form, prose, and depth (the nerdy dude-bro-esque humor falls flat and tends to sound either sexist or racist) but the dated content could still prove useful to young people who know next to nothing about getting their finances in working order. Perhaps the strongest aspect of this book is the actionability of the content--improving credit scores, setting up high-interest savings accounts, investing in 401K and ROTH IRAs, etc. Great primer for the late-teen or early 20-somethi ...more
Jesse
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'll keep this short and sweet: absolutely everyone should read this. High school kids should read this. My mom should read this. You should read this. It's the best book on personal finance I've ever read. Step by step instructions on exactly how to get your financial life in order. I read this years ago and it paved the way for me to eliminate my credit card debt and start investing. A must-read.
Sarah Kendosh
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A MUST read for young independent ppl!!!
Farwa
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great book for me to think about my finances and saving habits. Through reading this book, I have learned about retirement accounts, long-term investing, and short-term savings goals. My system is now fairly automated so I don’t have to think about it too much, and I feel like I’m doing a lot more with my money than I was before reading this.

Highly recommend for my friends in their 20s who have started earning a steady income, especially if you’re like me and kind of clueless about f
Anotherjesse
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who haven't gotten their financials in order
The author is a co-founder of PBWiki. Having known David (other co-founder of PBWiki) since moving to the bay area, I decided it was worth taking a chance on this book.

Overall it was disappointing. Most chapters had as much information as a good blog post. He spent too much time repeating himself and making stupid jokes. I give it 1 star on style. I wish Gini Trapini had written it.

The actual content is good. Anyone who doesn't have a good financial system in place should read it. The actual in
Ling Chung
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
For beginners, this personal finance book is a 5 star. It's up there with Rich Dad and Poor Dad. Ramit Sethi is hilarious. I love listening to his interviews generally. The light tone definitely came through in the book.

Keep in mind this book is written for beginners. If you are somewhat diligent about your finance, you probably are already doing 90% of the things outlined in this book. So I wouldn't recommend reading this.

As a Canadian not familiar with US investment vehicles, this book introdu
Eric
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a great personal finance book for people in their 20's. It teaches simple lessons on how to apply personal finance in the internet age. I love how relevant the book is to my life, and my finances. Moreover, it was comforting to find out that I had already implemented several of the author's suggestions. Great read.
Bri Altier
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you can cringe through the misogyny and disdain for overweight people, there are actually some good pieces of financial advice for beginners.
Christian
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actually read in 2017 but I didn't want too much non-fiction to count toward the GR challenge.

Cheesy title, but it worked! I mean, it worked in getting me interested in managing my money, not in getting me filthy rich hahaha. I've never been a financial wreck, but I just didn't want to think about saving and investing. However I did feel a bit guilty and realized at some point that hey, I probably have enough brainz to be at least average, financial-wise?

It's probably nothing new for most people
Bethany
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-audio
It's not that his advice is bad. His tone is just infuriating...
Chris Johnson
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I was curious about Ramit.

I don't love everything about what he's doing, but I think he's a Challenger Sale kind of blogger. He knows what he knows, and he's mostly right.

I've been following Dave Ramsey - and what I can say is this book beats the crap out of dave.

The basic message behind Dave's stuff is this: you're stupid, spending is stupid, and you should feel guilty every time you spend a little money that's not perfectly planned. Oh, and you have to eat crap food and drive a clunker if you
Brian
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The single most important factor to getting rich is getting started, not being the smartest person in the room." Kindle location 169

This should be required reading for everyone (especially young adults) who feels unsure about their financial direction. The author lets you define what rich is to you, maybe being out of debt brings a richness to your life and subtracts stress, and therefore you are satisfied, rich as he might say. Its not all about buying a plane or yacht, but if those are your g
Vinit Nayak
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent for all twenty something idiots (especially those in tech who have disposable incomes) who don't know a lot about investing. This book isn't trying to be flashy and hot and show you how to get rich quick, it does the opposite and lists all the steps to make sound, long term financial investments.

The writing style, jokes and metaphors of Ramit Sethi are complete garbage, but the content is solid. He also gives very doable action items for each of his chapters, so you don't just read an
Rory Lynch
I put this book next to Facing Violence in terms of important books to read. This is by far the best book on personal finance I've ever read; it was refreshing, informative, and most importantly, doesn't put the cart before the horse (which almost every book on personal finance ever does.) Ramit lays out the foundation for a financial system which takes you 85% of the way there for only a few hours of work per month, which should put you in better stead than anyone who hasn't taken the time to s ...more
Marcel
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's hard to take what this guy says seriously after reading the Millionaire Fastlane and living a lifestyle congruent with that book. My suggestion would be to read that first and then pass on this one rather than wasting your time. Go out there and create some value instead of rolling in the slowlane like Ramit suggests! I will teach you to be rich? More like, I will get rich from selling you this book while you stay poor making marginal gains on shitty investments.
Kashif
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
The first personal finance book I have read and the last I'm going to read for a while. That's because this book is chalk full of awesome, practical advice like the 50/10/10/30 rule of money management and saving to tangible goals.

Comes very highly recommended to get you on your way to financial glory.
Alexandra
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
Welp this took me nearly a year to read but it was WORTH IT. Ramit is swarmy AF but dude knows his shit about investing, cutting debt and planning for the future. All his advice is thoughtful, well explained and totally attainable no matter your situation. Highly recommended for young people looking for direction with regards to their personal finances.
Abinadi Ayerdis
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I only wish I could rate this book six stars. This book is everything I never knew I always wanted. Ramit's advice hit me like a dump truck to the face ... like an icicle in my brain ... like distilled truth smeared on my eyes. My life is now divided into two distinct times: impoverished ignorance and post-book richness. Read this book, my friends, and know its goodness.
Joy
The financial advice is mostly sound, but the tone and attitude is pretty annoying: it's aimed toward adults with the emotional maturity of 13-year-olds and features lots of unfunny jokes about hot blondes. Do. Not. Want.
Tanya Hristova
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'll start by pointing out that the title of this book is misleading and I knew this going in. It's not a book about getting rich (at least not in the common definition of rich). It's a book about managing your own money in a smart way.

It basically boils down to:
1. Get rid of any dept.
2. Optimize credit card usage. Some acquaintances are claiming this is not applicable for Bulgaria but I'm yet to speak with an actual financial expert about this or research the topic.
3. Start investing as early a
Paris Doran
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Firstly, I want to say that by the end of this book I thought Ramit was absolutely hilarious, and no doubt this book is spot on in appealing to the target market. It was no-nonsense, solid advice that will appeal to plenty of millennials like myself.
BUT, the thing is that this is not the first personal finance book I've read and it didn't really tell me anything new. It was funny and easy to get through, I loved that it was broken down into action steps and case studies and well researched, but
Cameron
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't realize this was a book specifically targeted to early 20-somethings and that it was such a basic primer on how to handle your money. His writing style and voice are pretty dang annoying and I found myself rolling my eyes more than a few times at his little asides that are supposed to be funny. But at its heart, lots of really solid advice and would be great for someone who doesn't know anything about personal finance.
Amanda
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a useful read for me as it made me think about my personal finance and how to allocate my my monthly income. Something I’d recommend 20-something’s who are starting work to take a look at. The only thing I didn’t quite appreciate in this book is that it’s written primarily assuming American readership. For instance, 401(k) is unique to the US and target dated/life cycle funds are not really known in or available in Asian countries.
  • Your Money: The Missing Manual
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
Ramit Sethi is New York Times best-selling author of I Will Teach You To Be Rich. His blog, iwillteachyoutoberich.com, hosts over 300,000 readers every month. He co-founded PBwiki and graduated from Stanford, where he studied technology and psychology. He lives in San Francisco, CA.
More about Ramit Sethi

$6.99 $2.99
  • Hello Mornings: How to Build a Grace-Filled, Life-Giving Morning Routine
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her
    $13.99 $1.99
“The 85 Percent Solution: Getting started is more important than becoming an expert.” 8 likes
“It’s more important to get started than to spend an exhaustive amount of time researching” 6 likes