Start by marking “I Will Teach You to Be Rich” as Want to Read:
I Will Teach You to Be Rich

I Will Teach You to Be Rich

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  24,967 ratings  ·  2,095 reviews
At last, for a generation that's materially ambitious yet financially clueless comes I Will Teach You To Be Rich, Ramit Sethi's 6-week personal finance program for 20-to-35-year-olds. A completely practical approach delivered with a nonjudgmental style that makes readers want to do what Sethi says, it is based around the four pillars of personal finance— banking, saving, b ...more
Published March 23rd 2009 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Teach You to Be Rich, please sign up.
Paris Doran I honestly don't think so. I live in Australia and I struggled with how much of the book applied to Americans only.
Bill Zoelle I find this book to be helpful for those who are just looking to start and are overwhelmed. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

·  24,967 ratings  ·  2,095 reviews

Start your review of I Will Teach You to Be Rich
Chad Warner
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chad by: StartupNation
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
This is definitely the best personal finance book I've read so far. It's a logical, step-by-step, practical handbook for financial success, specially written for twenty-somethings. It was better than the personal finance books I've read by Eric Tyson, Andrew Tobias, Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, and Robert Kiyosaki. See my Finance shelf on Goodreads for my reviews of those books.

Sethi gives advice on “automatically enabling yourself to save, invest, and spend - enjoying it, not feeling guilty...becau
Jason
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I tried summarizing the main things to learn at:

I've pasted the most important bits below, but for a lot more (hopefully useful) info, check out the linked doc.

The Overall Gist: This book is about how to manage your money, particularly for young people (20's). It's about the 85% solution: most young people don't manage their money because they believe they have to be experts, but what actually matters is getting started NOW, even it's only 85% right.

6-Week
Dustin Taylor
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
While I don’t agree with everything he said, I do agree with some of the things he talks about. I personally found the investment chapters worth reading as I didn’t know very much and he lined out what my options were and explained what they were in a clear and fun way. The entire thing about using a credit card for everything to get points and other “benefits” doesn’t quite work for me, but it may for him. I don’t know anybody who has ever gotten rich because they received points from credit ca ...more
Alex Pyatetsky
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've never wanted to give a book 2 stars so badly. As a warm blooded, heterosexual male - the obnoxiousness and irrelevance of Ramit's frequent fratboy asides is really grating. I'm sure he has some kind of "gotta break some eggs to make an omelette" rationale, but buyer beware. You're going to read some shit that sounds like Tucker Max, minus the funny.

THAT SAID - I gave the book 4 stars.

Why? If you don't have your finances in order, Ramit gives you a clear, actionable plan on what to do, what
Joy
The financial advice is mostly sound, but the tone and attitude is pretty annoying: it's aimed toward adults with the emotional maturity of 13-year-olds and features lots of unfunny jokes about hot blondes. Do. Not. Want.
Jamie
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Ramit has some good points in this book. I liked his no-BS approach and I found his points about automating finances worthwhile, if it didn't exactly give me new information. I found the section about investing to provide helpful information about index funds, which I had wondered about. He is right on the money about saving up for weddings/homes too, which somehow people just expect to pull massive amounts of money together for, on a whim. Excellent points, all.

That said, I really dislike this
Emily Whetstone
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Don't let my star rating mislead you. You should read this book. The advice is very good and clear.

I just can't honestly say I loved it, because I found the author's examples of what it means to be rich (repeated references to being fed grapes, etc, by lovely younger women) to be off-putting. Also, the layout is terrible. The flow of chapters are continually interrupted by smaller stand-alone sections, which should have been better placed so you wouldn't have to choose between interrupting the
Bethany
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's not that his advice is bad. His tone is just infuriating...
Jean-Luc
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In one chapter, this book briefly describes a girl that spends $5,000/year on shoes. Since it's a book on being rich, I figured she *must* be rich in order to waste that much money on shoes. But no, her annual income is about half mine. She's able to do this because she decided that "$5,000/year on shoes" was her own personal definition of "rich" and she oriented her life around that decision.

That's all this book is: deciding for yourself what it means to be rich and acting on it. Everything's b
Derek McDow
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance-business
Deficient in style, form, prose, and depth (the nerdy dude-bro-esque humor falls flat and tends to sound either sexist or racist) but the dated content could still prove useful to young people who know next to nothing about getting their finances in working order. Perhaps the strongest aspect of this book is the actionability of the content--improving credit scores, setting up high-interest savings accounts, investing in 401K and ROTH IRAs, etc. Great primer for the late-teen or early 20-somethi ...more
Megan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I thought I'd get a couple new ''tid bits" of info in this book, but nope, same-old same-old. This is all common sense, people. Save & invest, don't buy a house you can't afford, and do your research.. Maybe I could relate more if ia were in my 20's and renting? In my opinion, if you want this elementary stuff, you're better off reading Suze Orman's books. Much more factual info, and much less random opinion. ...more
Jesse
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'll keep this short and sweet: absolutely everyone should read this. High school kids should read this. My mom should read this. You should read this. It's the best book on personal finance I've ever read. Step by step instructions on exactly how to get your financial life in order. I read this years ago and it paved the way for me to eliminate my credit card debt and start investing. A must-read.
Marcel
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's hard to take what this guy says seriously after reading the Millionaire Fastlane and living a lifestyle congruent with that book. My suggestion would be to read that first and then pass on this one rather than wasting your time. Go out there and create some value instead of rolling in the slowlane like Ramit suggests! I will teach you to be rich? More like, I will get rich from selling you this book while you stay poor making marginal gains on shitty investments.
Ana
original read: 2013

This book was a revelation when I first read it. I can't really recommend the chapters on investing for non-US residents but everything else still holds up. This is a great book for people who want to optimize their earning and saving by having a few clear goals and then automating the rest.
Bibliovoracious
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not the target market for this (not millennial, and not into getting barked at sarcastically), but I still learned some practical new things.

I do highly recommend for anyone under 30 - it has all the basic important money knowledge, plus hacks, specificity, and clear explanations.
Harold Bradley III
Overly simplistic. Annoying tone. Some of the advice is good, but it is better presented elsewhere. Skip this book.
Jonathan K
Useful introduction to finances with some useful tidbits even if you know what you're doing. I don't agree with all the advice in here but he certainly knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately his tone walks a fine line between irreverent and obnoxious, and oversteps the boundary fairly frequently.

If you can get past the voice and a lot of filler anecdotes, it's a decent beginner book to get you thinking about your finances.
Nicholas Kotar
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check back with me in about 5-10 years, but I think this is one of those books that will really effect practical changes in life in a big way. Great book.
Sandra Miksa
A must read. The information in this book is invaluable. As a millennial myself, I can attest that I am utterly clueless about money, investing, although I do fair extremely well with saving (no debts or interest for upcoming student loans due to my habits) and conscientious spending but that is simply not enough for the long run... I am grateful for the abundant knowledge shared in this book for the clueless on money being like myself. (And let me say; I know a lot of people much more behind on ...more
Maria
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you can make it past the author's self congratulatory introduction, this book provides real insight into pensions, investing money, getting out of debt and making use of credit cards for rewards. I finally understand what a 'diversified portofolio' and 'index funds' mean and why index funds are better than mutual funds. All this normally boring, complicated banking jargon is really well summarised and explained. I have learnt so much from this and I am taking all the advice on board and openi ...more
Anotherjesse
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who haven't gotten their financials in order
The author is a co-founder of PBWiki. Having known David (other co-founder of PBWiki) since moving to the bay area, I decided it was worth taking a chance on this book.

Overall it was disappointing. Most chapters had as much information as a good blog post. He spent too much time repeating himself and making stupid jokes. I give it 1 star on style. I wish Gini Trapini had written it.

The actual content is good. Anyone who doesn't have a good financial system in place should read it. The actual in
Chris Johnson
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I was curious about Ramit.

I don't love everything about what he's doing, but I think he's a Challenger Sale kind of blogger. He knows what he knows, and he's mostly right.

I've been following Dave Ramsey - and what I can say is this book beats the crap out of dave.

The basic message behind Dave's stuff is this: you're stupid, spending is stupid, and you should feel guilty every time you spend a little money that's not perfectly planned. Oh, and you have to eat crap food and drive a clunker if you
Farwa
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great book for me to think about my finances and saving habits. Through reading this book, I have learned about retirement accounts, long-term investing, and short-term savings goals. My system is now fairly automated so I don’t have to think about it too much, and I feel like I’m doing a lot more with my money than I was before reading this.

Highly recommend for my friends in their 20s who have started earning a steady income, especially if you’re like me and kind of clueless about f
Sarah Kendosh
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A MUST read for young independent ppl!!!
Marta
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Never in a million years would I have thought about writing a review for a financial nonfiction guidebook, but here I am. I picked this book up from the library after seeing a post on Reddit recommending this book. Previously in the year I have read Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties and although it was informative, I was in my last semester of college and never did a
Lauren Coffey
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the very first personal finance book that I have read and I didn't really know what to expect. Ramit gives clear advice and step-by-step approaches on how to maximize your personal finance game. It was a lot of information that I was never taught or exposed to and I found I can use most of the advice he gave. The only issue I have with the book was that his tone was a bit on the frat boy side of things.
Leonardo  Gulyas
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a review from a non us citizen, so if you want to know what a "international" reader thinks of the book and of Ramit, read on.

First of all, I've been following ramit's work for a few years and decided to read the book only now, in 2017. His blog is amazing, easy to read and contains a lot of useful information in a plethora of topics. I see this book as a complement to what he always posted on his blog, but divided in chapters and in detailed action steps.

This book focus on how you can d
Guilherme Zeitounlian
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read the first edition of this book in 2016. At the time, I gave it 3 stars.

Now I read the second edition, and the ideas are mainly the same: invest early, automate your finances, have a plan. Cut costs that you don't care about, and spend lavishly on the things you love.

However, the overall tone of the book was improved: it is less judgemental. It talks more about the "85% solution" - just do what is good enough. And these changes help convey the message in a much smoother way. (Also, the jok
Ling Chung
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
For beginners, this personal finance book is a 5 star. It's up there with Rich Dad and Poor Dad. Ramit Sethi is hilarious. I love listening to his interviews generally. The light tone definitely came through in the book.

Keep in mind this book is written for beginners. If you are somewhat diligent about your finance, you probably are already doing 90% of the things outlined in this book. So I wouldn't recommend reading this.

As a Canadian not familiar with US investment vehicles, this book introdu
Eric
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a great personal finance book for people in their 20's. It teaches simple lessons on how to apply personal finance in the internet age. I love how relevant the book is to my life, and my finances. Moreover, it was comforting to find out that I had already implemented several of the author's suggestions. Great read.
#debtfreecommunity: April: I Will Teach You to Be Rich 1 9 Jan 03, 2020 03:39PM

• The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Choose FI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need
  • Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
  • The Richest Man in Babylon
Ramit Sethi is New York Times best-selling author of I Will Teach You To Be Rich. His blog, iwillteachyoutoberich.com, hosts over 300,000 readers every month. He co-founded PBwiki and graduated from Stanford, where he studied technology and psychology. He lives in San Francisco, CA.

News & Interviews

“The 85 Percent Solution: Getting started is more important than becoming an expert.” 14 likes
“It’s more important to get started than to spend an exhaustive amount of time researching” 9 likes