Start by marking “Eventide” as Want to Read:
Eventide

Eventide

MADNESS, SECRETS, AND LIES
Wheeler, Arkansas, 1907

When their father descends into madness after the death of their mother, Verity Pruitt and her little sister Lilah find themselves on an orphan train to rural Arkansas.

In Wheeler, eleven-year-old Lilah is quickly adopted, but seventeen-year-old Verity is not. Desperate to stay close to her sister, Verity indentures hersel
Published October 6th 2020 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Eventide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eventide

Start your review of Eventide
megs_bookrack
**3.5-stars**

In 1907, Verity Pruitt and her little sister, Lilah, arrive in Wheeler, Arkansas, aboard an orphan train from New York.

Their mother has passed away and their father, suffering from crippling grief, has been committed to an insane asylum.

With no family to take them in, the girls become wards of the state, in spite of the fact that Verity is close to turning eighteen.

When they arrive in Arkansas, it is clear that a family is already waiting for Lilah, but Verity will not be going with
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
3.5 stars rounded up

Eventide was pretty good, but I just wanted more of everything... I wish the creepy factor and the mystery of it all had been flushed out more. Still a quick and enjoyable read.
Dianne
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Welcome to Wheeler, Arkansas, a small and average town with a shockingly dark secret that lay nestled in the haunting forest. Verity Pruitt is about to discover that something is not quite right in the town she and her younger sister have been sent to. While Lilah is adopted, Verity must indenture herself as a farmhand in order to stay close to her sister.

EVENTIDE by Sarah Goodman is an atmospheric young adult fantasy thriller that drops its readers right into the story and engulfs one into the
Aga Durka
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in a small town of the early 1900’s Arkansas, this story was a perfect start to my fall season with all its paranormal activities and splashes of magic. This young adult historical fiction/mystery novel kept me up late at night reading, and I could not get enough of its atmospheric setting and all the amazing characters. I even dare to say that I got some Anne of Green Gables vibe at the beginning of this book, before all the spookiness started. The mystery of this book was slowly and skillf ...more
Jay G
Nov 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

3.5/5 Stars

After the downward spiral of their father's mental health, Verity and her little sister Lilah, are sent to live in Arkansas. Upon arriving, Lilah is taken in by Miss Maeve, the local school teacher. Unfortunately for Verity, she is not able to go with Lilah, and becomes a farmhand nearby. Wh
Andy
3.5/5

Thank you to Macmillan Audio for an ALC of this in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

When Verity's father descends into madness after her mother dies, she finds herself and her sister on an orphan train to rural Arkansas. Her young sister, Lilah, is adopted quickly in Wheeler, but Verity is not. She indentures herself as a farmhand to stay close to her sister. Things in Wheeler are not as they seem though, the woods are strangely haunted, the town is very superstitious
Stefanie
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
The train’s click-clacking rumble across the tracks lulls you into a trance-like state as the scenery outside the window flashes by. The browns and greens melt together and blend with the blue of the sky as the train rushes past. You grip your sister’s hand tighter, unwilling to let her go. No matter what, the two of you will get through this together, no matter what hauntings from the past try to stop you.

Eventide, a blend of a historical fiction and ghost story, journeys along with sisters Lil
Leighellen Landskov
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-thriller
Eventide is a spooky little YA tale about family secrets, small-town scandal, and the curse of vengeance. Set in the dusty town of Wheeler, Arkansas in 1907, this reads as much like a historical fiction as it does a paranormal mystery. The story slowly unraveled in this one and the setting captivated me. I was surprised that it was less spooky than I expected and much more heartwarming as the overarching message of choosing your family was woven throughout the story.

Two sisters find themselves
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I quite enjoyed Eventide for its atmosphere, mysteriousness, and focus on the importance of family (both blood and created). And it was mostly a win for me! So let's break down all the things I enjoyed, and the one thing I kind of didn't!

The Good:

►The setting/time period was great! So few books seem to be set around the turn of the 20th century, or maybe I am just missing them, but e
Toya (the reading chemist)
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.

I started reading the physical copy of this one, but immediately switched to the audio when I found out it was narrated by Lauren Fortgang. She is on my list of go-to narrators, and the wait was worth it.

Set in the early 1900s in the small town of Wheeler, Arkansas, what should be a sleepy town is actually home to a haunting forest that harbors one heck of a dark secret.

Verity Pruitt and her sister quickly realize things aren’t as they seem in this new town. To make matte
Andria Sedig
This story was SO. GOOD. It was spooky and atmospheric in a way that kept me engaged and wanting to read more. The author did a great job creating a small town vibe and the mystery surrounding the woods was captivating and woven into the story in a way that really drove the plot. The subtle elements of magic included in the story added to the atmosphere and spookiness of the story. I will say that there was a bit of insta-love that was a bit unrealistic and wasn't my favorite personally, but the ...more
Megan (inkand.imagination)
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
OH. MY. GOSH!! This book was absolute perfection! It was spooky in the way that slowly creeps under your skin...unsettling but in a way that isn’t immediately apparent. It was also incredibly moving, and it’s definitely the kind of book that keeps you thinking long after you’ve finished reading it.

The two sisters who are the main characters of the book, Verity and Lilah, are both great and unique from one another. Verity is headstrong and confident, and is probably one of my new fav. YA heroine
Vee_Bookish
Feb 26, 2021 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF'd at 64%. The plot is confusing, getting more and more ridiculous and I'm just not engaged. ...more
Grace ᵔᴥᵔ
I started reading this book at 1am, and at page 10 when I was already completely immersed in the story I thought, "Oh no, I've made a mistake".

The writing perfectly captured the eerie atmosphere of this seemingly mundane small town, as well as the quaint and folksy nature of its residents. The mystery unfurled rather slowly, as well as the implement of a supernatural element. I found myself with dozens of questions and little answers, and that made me all the more inclined to keep reading.

This
Frankie
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an e-copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Everyone: Verity, don't do this thing.
Verity: I won't. *does exactly that thing*

This book was... okay. Just okay. I kept hoping that it would surprise me but it never came. Reading this made think: that's it?

The concept was really cool. Seventeen-year-old Verity and her little sister Lilah are put up for adoption after their mother dies and their father is sent to the insane asylum. They end up i
Pine Reads Review
“The hairs along my arms lifted. There was power here, something strong and ancient. I felt it snaking under my feet, lurking in the dark waters, seeping into the ground to be drunk in by the trees.”

With their father locked away in an asylum and their mother long-since dead, seventeen-year-old Verity Pruitt and her younger sister, Lilah, are shipped off to find a new home in Wheeler, Arkansas as orphans, only to be separated when Lilah is adopted and Verity is not. So, in an effort to stay near
Maria Tag
Mar 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya
This was a spooky Southern standalone that was entertaining and atmospheric, but became very derailed at the end.
This is the story of Verity Pruitt, a 17-year-old who comes to Arkansas on the orphan train with her eleven-year-old sister, Lilah, in 1907. When her and Lilah are separated, Verity is immediately mistrustful of the the woman, Miss Maeve, who takes her sister, but soon comes to realize there may be more to her doubts than mere sisterly worrying.
The vibe and setting of this story were
Paige Green
Disclaimer: I received this arc from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Eventide

Author: Sarah Goodman

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 3/5

Recommended For...: fantasy, ya, historical fiction, horror

Publication Date: October 6, 2020

Genre: YA Fantasy

Recommended Age: can’t recommend, DNF-ed

Publisher: Tor Teen

Pages: 336

Synopsis: Wheeler, Arkansas, 1907

When her father descends into madness, Verity Pruitt and her little sister Lilah find themselves uprooted from New York, on an orphan tr
Vanessa
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In 1907, Verity and her younger sister Lilah are sent to rural Arkansas as orphans to be taken in by separate families. Verity, angry at being separated from her younger sister, is determined to find a way to stay together. But after seeing several strange apparitions in the woods, which everyone in the town claims are haunted, Verity can't help but get wrapped up in the town's secrets, which prove to be far more dangerous than anyone imagined.

Ok, so this book honestly had it all for me. So man
Marti M
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Thanks to Once Upon A Bookclub Box, the publishers, and the author for a free book to review!

All opinions are my own

17 year old Verity and her little sister Lilah find themselves on an orphan train headed to Arkansas, where Lilah is adopted immediately. Verity will do anything to stay nearby, and she signs up to work on a farm near her sister’s new home. But the little town they’ve landed in is full of secrets and superstitions, and Verity can’t help but be suspicious of Lilah’s adoptive family.
Mom_Loves_Reading
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hey readers, have I got a perfectly spooky, gothic style, historical fiction/mystery book for your Halloween month reading pleasure!
As a resident of a small town like the author & the setting of 'Eventide', this book worked perfect for me! An evocatively creepy, atmospheric, eerie, addictive story that is ideal for these chilly, fall days & nights. It's a bit of a slow burn at times, but stick w/ it. It's a fantastic, well-written debut novel.
Beck
Jul 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/4 rounded up for world-building slash atmosphere
Rebecca Veight
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
When she can't be adopted with her younger sister, Verity becomes indentured and a farmhand, so she can stay close to her in Wheeler, Arkansas of 1907. A small town with a supposed haunted woods and secrets that may even have to do with Verity's family!

Verity is a straightforward, but full of compassion and a sense of wonder, despite herself. Intelligent, fiercely loyal and smile-worthy stubborn. I adore stories where characters discover the strength they didn't know they had in them.

The narrati
Erin Arkin
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Having read the book, I have to say that the cover is amazing and I think it is perfect for it.

The main character is Verity Pruitt and immediately we find out that she and her little sister, Lilah, are orphans. With their mother dead and their father going mad, they have been sent on a train to Arkansas with the hopes that they will be adopted. While this is their situation right now, Verity has plans. Her goal is for them to get adopted together and stay there just
Raya
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Family secrets never stay buried for long."

Ghosts. Magic. Historical fiction. Eventide by Sarah Goodman has it all. The year is 1907. Verity and Lilah Pruitt’s father has descended into madness after the death of their mother, so the two sisters are put up for adoption in Wheeler, Arkansas. Lilah is adopted immediately. 17-year-old Verity, however, is not. Trying to stay close to her sister, Verity indentures herself as a farmhand, where she befriends charming stable boy Abel Atchley. Yet all
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Eventide, with its eye-catching and eerie cover, is a mix of genres - Historical Fiction and Fantasy with a focus on Teen readers. The story begins with a strong Historical Fiction vibe that is very reminiscent of The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline and The Forgotten Home Child by Genevieve Graham as we witness two sisters being sent by train from New York City to a small town in Arkansas in 1907 to find a new family to take them in.

I thought the Historical Fiction aspect was the stronges
Jessica
Chloe
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book at BookExpo Online in exchange for an honest review.

This book was...a ride. After getting a quarter of the way into the book, I was instantly hooked. Fast-paced, mysterious, and creepy at times, this book kept me guessing the whole way through. With likeable characters and cute, small town reminiscent of Stars Hollow (if Stars Hollow had a creepy, supernatural forest that is), I greatly enjoyed this read.

If you liked Stalking Jack the Ripper or These Shallow Graves
Lisa Mandina
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The synopsis of this was what grabbed me at first. But then there was more to the story than I imagined just from that. I liked how it used the history of the orphan trains as the background for the time this was set in. I keep meaning to read more about those times, but have yet to. But the book wasn’t just about that, it was also about small towns and the secrets they keep. As well as having a little bit of a magical element to the story, with ghosts and a witch or two. There were scenes in th ...more
Kristi
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book through the Once Upon a Book club for the month of October. It was my first and most likely last time I'll purchase the box set. In the box came the book, some information about the author, a signed sticker by the author, and about 4 to 5 gifts that are wrapped and meant to be opened as you read the book.

I enjoyed the book and thought it was well written. I enjoyed the characters and mystery of the story. I bought the YA version of the box set and was happy with it as a who

• The 12 Days of Book-Club-Mas
  • Mazie
  • Down World
  • The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)
  • Miss Meteor
  • The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre
  • 15 Minutes of Flame (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #3)
  • The Lost Love Song
  • A Betting Woman: A Novel of Madame Moustache
  • Oona Out of Order
  • The Mary Shelley Club
  • Rebel Spy
  • The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany
  • Reset
  • Happily Ever Afters (Happily Ever Afters, #1)
  • Shiver
  • Luck of the Titanic
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

There's something so special about each class of debut YA authors; after all, young adult fiction is all about the hopefulness of new...