Start by marking “Over the Woodward Wall” as Want to Read:
Over the Woodward Wall

Over the Woodward Wall

(Untitled #1)

"Writing as A. Deborah Baker, New York Times bestselling and award-winning author Seanan McGuire introduces readers to a world of talking trees and sarcastic owls, of dangerous mermaids and captivating queens in Over the Woodward Wall, an exceptional tale for readers who are young at heart.

If you trust her you’ll never make it home…

Avery is an exceptional child.
Published October 6th 2020 by Tor.com

Start your review of Over the Woodward Wall
megs_bookrack
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
A. Deborah Baker, pen name of one of my favorite authors, Seanan McGuire, brings a book within a book to life with Over the Woodward Wall.

For those of you who haven't read Middlegame, first of all...

I'm kidding, I just couldn't resist using that gif.

Moving quickly along, A. Deborah Baker is a character first introduced in Middlegame. She is the author of a book called, Over the Woodward Wall; snippets of which you get interspersed throughout Middlegame.

My recollection, although hazy, is that Bak
karen
Sep 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
seanan mcguire is so awesome and prolific, no number of pseudonyms can contain her.

you can have my name if you need it. along with anything i own, including my organs.
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Tor.com Publishing
This is a really tough one to review, but I think my rating is floating somewhere between 3-3.5 stars.

"Remember this: that it was a very safe, very ordinary town. This will be important later."

So, I'm a major Seanan McGuire fangirl, and I cannot emphasize how much I love and respect her as an author, and just a person in general. She has created so many worlds where anyone can dive in and feel welcome, and she writes under so many different genres that a reader could simply never get bored with
Melanie
Jul 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Melanie by: Romie
Shelves: fantasy
please excuse me while i scream forever at this premise, cover, and pseudonym

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Mar 22, 2020 marked it as to-read
Update: It's happy dance time! I just got approved for the ARC on NetGalley. Cheers!!

This is a companion book to Seanan McGuire's awesome Middlegame and I am SO interested to see what she does with it! This book - which at the time was just an idea in McGuire's head - was constantly referenced in Middlegame as the basis for a whole different worldview for the characters.

I may just have to read Middlegame again.
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 Stars

“I’m sorry to be the one to tell you that, if you didn’t want an adventure, but sometimes adventures happen whether or not they are requested. They’re like Tuesday afternoons, or headaches, or birthdays. They do as they like.”

My GOD; I am CRYING and I don’t even know why.

I guess it is because this was an AMAZING BOOK, and reading it was JUST like reading an installment of the Wayward Children series.
That series has such a very, very tight grip on my heart. So, this is as
Catherine
Jan 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
Edit January 11th: WE HAVE A COVER + the release date, October 6th!

Seanan McGuire aka Mira Grant and now aka A. Deborah Baker. Too many pen names you amazing woman, I could have missed this book if it didn't show up on my feed and it would have been tragic (I'm not being dramatic, it's Seanan McGuire). I really need to read Middlegame before October!
NAT.orious reads ☾
May 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
Me *promises herself to not request any more arcs for a while, says authors she's not accepting arcs at the moment*

Also me *extremely infatuated with the outline of this book, the cover and everything that goes with it - hit's request like there's no tomorrow*

Jules ✨

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley.

I'm a Seanan McGuire stan first, human second.
If you love the Wayward Children series, you'll definitely adore this book. It has THAT magical fairytale vibe, but with that mysterious creepy feeling that keeps you on the edge of your sit.
Definitely excited this is going to be a series.

Full RTC!

read for grade E of potions.
Jenny Baker
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, 2020, fantasy

It was such a joy listening to the audiobook narration even though it’s short. Over the Woodward Wall is an entertaining tale with talking trees and owls. I loved the whimsical feel and the vivid descriptions. She does a great job putting you in the scenes. I’m looking forward to following Avery and Zib in this series.
Wren (fablesandwren)
Thank you TorBooks for an early copy of this book!
Bethany
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Over the Woodward Wall by A. Deborah Baker (aka Seanan McGuire) is the children's story mentioned in her adult novel Middle Game. However, you don't need to have read Middlegame in order to read and appreciate this story- it stands alone and doesn't reference that book. This one is more reminiscent of her Wayward Children series, albeit with younger characters, and I think if you enjoy those books this novella is definitely worth a read.

It follows a girl named Zib and a boy named Avery who are
Mimi
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-favorites
WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO WAIT FOR A SEQUEL I WANT IT NOW
Acqua
Over the Woodward Wall is on one side a very straightforward children's books, on the other a very meta experiment in mirroring.
This is A. Deborah Baker's first book, which in our world means "the first novella Seanan McGuire wrote under this pseudonym", but if you've read Middlegame, it means something completely different. And that's where my main doubt comes in: would someone who hasn't read Middlegame get much out of this at all? Because I'm not sure.

This is the story of Avery and Zib, two c
Caidyn (he/him/his)
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from my ARC fairy and this is an honest review!

CW: kidnapping, deception, and general scenes of adventure

Seanan does it again! I've been excited about this book ever since it was announced as a companion to Middlegame, which was a book that I loved. Zib and Avery's story was so much fun to read and I hope that there might be more about it at some point -- besides the sequel to Middlegame that's been announced. It also felt like it could somehow be linked to the Wayward Children
Amy Imogene Reads
Sep 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Another Seanan McGuire pen name? Blessed. Can't wait. Take my money.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"The Crow Girl cocked her head to the side. "Why what? Why is the road like this? The road goes everywhere in the Up-and-Under, into the clouds and down to the depths, because the road is for everyone, and something for everyone needs to be everywhere, or it isn't really for everyone at all. A garden behind a gate isn't everybody's garden, no matter what the gardeners may try to say. No, it isn't for everyone at all."

It is I, your socially distanced neighborhood Forest Witch, bringing you a revi
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Over the Woodward Wall by A. Deborah Baker delightful new Middle Grade fantasy series opener. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to give this novel a try via NetGalley. I jumped at the chance as soon as I realized that A. Deborah Baker is a pen name of Seanan McGuire, one of my favorite authors. Plus, just look at the cover - it's so beautiful! Luckily, the content are just as good as it looks. I particularly enjoyed the quirky and
Lisa Wolf
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
It pains me to give a Seanan McGuire books only 2 stars, but this book made no sense to me. Over the Woodward Wall is the book-within-a-book that's a part of the (excellent) novel Middlegame, but actually reading it is just baffling. Two children get caught up in a nonsensical world that seems to have a lot of symbolism, but I couldn't tell you what it was all supposed to mean, other than the meanings ascribed to it (alchemy, don't ya know) in Middlegame.
Mila
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book of my 24-hour readathon!

This book is basically Seanan McGuire at her best, it showcases her amazing writing style, exciting storytelling, and moral issues that she likes to discuss in her novels, all within 200 pages. So I can't wait to find out more about these characters and their adventures!
Sana
Jul 08, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
A NEW FAIRY TALE SERIES, YES

More info for Middlegame fans here
Starr ❇✌❇
Aug 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Can I just say how much I love this trend of authors writing books they mentioned in other books? It's meta, it's cool, and it makes me so very happy 😍
Elizabeth Tabler
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Tor.com for providing me with a copy of this in exchange for my open and honest review.

Over The Woodward Wall by A. Deborah Baker is a complicated book to review. A. Deborah Baker is the newest pseudonym of prolific author Seanan McGuire and goes hand in hand with one of her other works, Middlegame. It is meta, Over the Woodward Wall was mentioned in Middlegame, and now we have the full children's book to go with it.
Honestly, I wasn't even aware of the connection unti
Kira
Although this is connected to Middlegame, it is an entirely separate story. I had a very difficult time getting into this book. The world was too simple. None of the bad characters seemed truly evil. There appeared to be no dire consequences for anything. I couldn't get attached to any of the characters, but if I had to pick a favorite it would easily be the Crow Girl simply because she was the only one with a bit of mystery. The writing was good enough that by the end I was wishing the next boo ...more
Elliot
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, fantasy
Seanan McGuire, author of the Wayward Children series, brings us another imaginative foray into portal fiction under the pen-name A. Deborah Baker. It has been a long time since I read something that reminded me of what it felt like to read the Oz books when I was young. This book felt so much like a trip to Oz, complete with magic, whimsy, and yes, menace. So many tales of youthful portal fantasy forget how vital fear is to making these stories come to life. It's not to say that this book is ho ...more
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Over the Woodward Wall in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Over the Woodward Wall may be one of those novels that confuses the unaware. You see, it says it is written by A. Deborah Baker, but that is yet another pseudonym for Seanan McGuire. Over the Woodward Wall is a tie in novel to Middlegame.

More accurately, it's a book mentioned several times during Middlegame. That's why fans of that novel don't really need to be told the connection. So if you haven't read Midd
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you’ve read Middlegame, Over the Woodward Wall is the story within a story from that book. If you haven’t read Middlegame yet, I’d highly recommend going and reading it. But this novella doesn’t require you to have read Middlegame. Instead, you would just have a slightly different reading experience.

As always, every sentence is beautifully crafted. This reads exactly like a fairytale or children’s story should, which is to say there’s a lot of things that shouldn’t make sense but absolutely
Samantha
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m losing track of all of Seanan McGuire’s pseudonyms.

This is a charming, quick read. It’s a twinkly, mostly gentle fairy tale that has delightful magic, clever humor, and some artfully subtle lessons about kindness and courage.

I appreciate Baker’s ability to render a land of make believe that doesn’t delve too far into nonsense and absurdity or get too earnest and moralizing.

The lessons here are good ones, sweet and subtly rendered and prettily woven into a unique magical landscape.

It’s cl
Ashley
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5?????

i need to reread middlegame!! this was so fun.

her writing is just *chefs kiss* perfection. so twisty and weird and nonsensical in the best way.
Kenzie The Dragon Queen
This cover is stunning, and I love the premise! I really have to get around to reading Middlegame and the Wayward Children series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Burning Roses
  • Ring Shout
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
  • The Hollow Places
  • The Archive of the Forgotten (Hell's Library, #2)
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • A Killing Frost (October Daye, #14)
  • Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • The Once and Future Witches
  • Drowned Country (The Greenhollow Duology, #2)
  • The Midnight Bargain
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
Pen name for Seanan McGuire writing for the Over the Woodward Wall series. Also a character mentioned in the book Middlegame ...more

News & Interviews