Start by marking “In The Black” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
In The Black

Patrick S. Tomlinson

In The Black

In a demilitarized zone on the border of human space, long range spy satellites are mysterioulsy going quiet, and no one knows why. Captain Susan Kamala and her crew are dispatched to figure out what's going on and solve the problem.

That problem, however, is a mysterious, bleeding-edge alien ship that no human vessel could hope to match in open conflict. But it's not
Expected publication: October 13th 2020 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about In The Black, please sign up.
Camestros Felapton Long answer: No, clearly not. We've witnessed over many weeks now very flagrant breaches of not just Goodreads policies re: ratings and reviews but…moreLong answer: No, clearly not. We've witnessed over many weeks now very flagrant breaches of not just Goodreads policies re: ratings and reviews but also flagrant breaches of the community guidelines as well defamatory posts, identity theft and "reviews" that were purely names and addresses of private individuals. All of this on a book that we know only two actual people have read.

To get action on this has required multiple people repeatedly flagging fake comments, complaints to support, as well as people taking to social media to attempt to bring pressure on Goodreads to take action.

While "real from fake" might be genuinely difficult in many cases, when it is a review/comment from an account posting nothing but PRIVATE ADDRESSES (i.e. zero to do with the book) using an account name that is impersonating an author and there is say 20 of these all identical, honestly, that is not hard to spot as a fake review.

Goodreads systems and processes failed just on basic issues such a protecting from spam. It also failed in preventing dummy accounts designed to impersonate authors (at one point most of the board of the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America was impersonated). It also failed in preventing defamation and it also failed in preventing basic issues of internet safety -- allowing private information to be disseminated.
(less)

Start your review of In The Black
Patrick
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book isn’t even out yet, but the twitter trolls are out in force to one-star it. Looking forward to reading it.
Hinge Head
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm here because the author tweeted this

"Mmm, yes. 32 One Star ratings on a book that doesn't come out for 10 months and isn't even out of editing yet. And all with pics from my Twitter followers. Seems legit. Hey,
@goodreads, are you doing anything about fake reviews? #amwriting #amreading"

And I'm here to redress the balance
Contrarius
Jan 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
Another Tomlinson book being bombarded by idiot trolls.

If idiot trolls hate it, it can't be all bad. I've just put it on Mt. TBR, and I'll be purchasing it when it becomes available in audio format. Stay Tuned!
Lynn
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book that I haven't read that hasn't come out yet. Unlike everyone else, I imagine the story to be quite beautifully written - I would say almost poetic. While this isn't my normal genre, the vivid detail and beautiful writing that I imagined drew me right in and I fell in love with the story and characters who were so familiar - almost as though I had conceived them myself. I highly recommend this book, but then, I'm not a horrible troll who is trying to ruin a man's ...more
Michele Lee
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So a bunch of trolls are creating fake accounts to bash this as yet unpublished book (due out in October!) In a personal vendetta against the author. Figured I'd beat them to the punch and pre-order it and pre-review it. Looking forward to the new year with this book in my future.
Dawn
Dec 27, 2019 added it
Oh look, the Lowest Common Denominator of twitter have discovered how to zerg.

Goodreads, i do expect you'll clean this mess up. Waiting for it to stop snowing?
Kim
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just here to balance out the trolls. Good luck with the publication & I’ll be back after I read it to post an honest review
Marco
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five stars in the attempt to counteract the shameful review bombing campaign against the author. And I'll read it too, let's make sure even trolling counts as good publicity.
Kim
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'll jump on the bandwagon with the trolls and rate this book that hasn't come out yet. I guess I should be thanking them for their trolling. I would never have found this author! Now, I have a new author to follow and I look forward to reading this book when it is published 10 months from now. The synopsis sounds great!
Matt Forbeck
Jan 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
I always enjoy Pat's writing and even blurbed one of his books in the past. I'm sure this one will be as excellent as the rest of his work.
Patrick Tomlinson
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
We've just sent the manuscript off to the copy editors. So I can officially call it done. If you're a fan of military sci-fi, this book will be right up your alley. It's The Hunt for Red October in space, with a little corporate espionage thrown in for good measure. Cover art coming soon!
Lizb
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Come on Goodreads! This book isnt even out yet and you are allowing this terrible trolling. Be better.
Paul Weimer
Kimberly Denz
Dec 28, 2019
Nina
Vicki Elia
rated it did not like it
Nihillus
Andrew C
Rook McNamara
Sheena-kay Graham

• Beast Within 4: Gears & Growls
  • Earth Unaware (The First Formic War, #1)
  • Hunting Harkonnens (Legends of Dune, #0.5)
  • Near + Far
  • The Crimson Pact Volume 1 (The Crimson Pact #1)
  • Full Throttle
  • Fantasy Magazine, October 2014: Women Destroy Fantasy! Special Issue
  • The Surgeon's Tale and other stories
  • Creating an Online Presence (Careerbuilding for Writers)
  • Permanently Suspended: The Rise and Fall... and Rise Again of Radio's Most Notorious Shock Jock
  • Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch #2)
  • Closer Home
  • Dear Edward
  • Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #1)
  • Regretting You
  • Every Thing You Are
  • Sandgrav (Embla Nyström, #2)
  • Flight to Forever
Patrick S. Tomlinson lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with his wife, a menagerie of houseplants in varying levels of health, a Mustang, and a Triumph motorcycle bought specifically to embarrass and infuriate Harley riders. When not writing sci-fi and fantasy novels and short stories, Patrick is busy developing his other passion for writing and performing stand-up comedy in the Madison, Milwaukee, and ...more