Start by marking “Dating Makes Perfect” as Want to Read:
Dating Makes Perfect

Dating Makes Perfect

The Tech sisters don’t date in high school. Not because they’re not asked. Not because they’re not interested. Not even because no one can pronounce their long, Thai last name—hence the shortened, awkward moniker. But simply because they’re not allowed.

Until now.

In a move that other Asian American girls know all too well, six months after the older Tech twins got to colleg
Published August 18th 2020 by Entangled: Teen

Start your review of Dating Makes Perfect
may ➹
Apr 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
update: got an ARC (a month ago)... Thai rights

this cover represents me because THAI GIRL!!!! but also does not represent me because she is pretty
Jessica
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher (Entangled Teen) in exchange for an honest review. Since I received an ARC, my quotes from the book are tentative.

This was the cutest YA rom-com!

Okay so first I just have to talk about the #OwnVoices aspect. As a Filipino American, I know how important it is to have your stories told, so I was so happy to finally see a book about the Thai American experience. I had never read a book about the Thai American experience before so I was su
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
OH MY GOD I THINK THIS IS A THAI AMERICAN RETELLING OF THE TAMING OF THE SHREW

OH MY GOD

I NEED IT
Claude's Bookzone
CW: (view spoiler)

Well that was a charming YA romance with an endearing Thai American main character.

This story will appeal to many as it was filled with some standard YA romance tropes making it a fairly 'safe' read. However, this will stand above other similar books for me because the characters were so enjoyable to read about and I adored the family dynamics. The romance was cute and flirty with some witty banter thrown in. It al
Corina
ALMOST FOUR STARS

This book reminded me so much of To All the Boys I've Loved Before, in a good way, and I feel anyone loving the trilogy, will adore this book.

Full review to come...

___________________________________

Find more reviews and book recommendations on my blog
Follow me on Bookstagram
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian-books
I received this book in exchange for an honest review for HEAR OUR VOICES BOOK TOUR.

I'm a huge advocate for Asian representation and voices in the book community so when I saw that there was a Thai Asian American YA Book I jumped at the chance to review it.

I absolutely adored this novel because it was so fun and flirty. It was cute and fluffy in all the aspects when our main heroine was figuring her self out plus her identity. I also really loved the representation in this book and I'm sure that
Amy Risner
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Thank you to Entangled for the ARC and to Hear Our Voices Tours for hosting the blog tour!

Dating Makes Perfect is an ownvoices Thai YA rom com and as an ownvoices reader I truly had the best time reading it!

This story follows the Tech sisters whose strict Thai parents didn’t allow them to date in high school. But once the eldest Tech twins go off to college, their parents allow the youngest sister, Winnie, to date. But there’s a catch: mom gets to set up the date and chooses the guy (and she se
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Dating Makes Perfect was my first book by Pintip Dunn, and I thought it was pretty enjoyable, even if I wanted a little more from it.

I don't read a ton of YA contemporary romance, but I was drawn to Dating Makes Perfect from the blurb. In some ways, it delivered with a sweet story with a likable female MC, an enemies-to-lovers story, and lots of DELICIOUS-sounding Thai food (made me so hungry). But in other ways, I was a bit let down.

I think parts of the plot just didn't make sense. The fake-d
Danielle's
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How gorgeous is the artwork for Dating makes perfect! Pintip Dunn is an artistic genius and I’m not talking about the cover. Her words are addictive and the characters she creates come to life on the page.

I love the Tech sisters. Orrawin is the youngest sister and bout to become the first to get the chance to date in high school. With strict parents the Tech sisters don’t date but when the older two point out a flaw in their mums plan Winnie is set-up with her ex-best-friend/enemy.

Mat and Winn
nitya
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
ADORABLY DELIGHTFUL

Friends to enemies to lovers (with bonus fake dating) is my new favorite trope, the end. And I loved all the cultural references, like Never Have I Ever, Thai New Year, and Always Be My Maybe! This book honestly made me laugh and smile a whole bunch. MORE POC ROMCOMS, PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU @ the book industry

Content warning: underage drinking (not by main characters), parental abandonment
Alexa
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but rounded up for the sister feels and rom-com moments.

If you want a very cute YA rom-com read that includes the fake dating trope, well, DATING MAKES PERFECT would be a great choice! I enjoyed the time I spent with Winnie, from the shenanigans in her love life to the dynamic with her family, and I think a lot of other readers would like that too.
Sam (AMNReader)
Every time I cracked this book open, the joy infused me and I was grinning like an idiot.

It's a perfect little YA romance. It's not shallow, it's joy-focused, but it doesn't ignore challenges of immigrant families, clashing cultures, and family (or community) expectations. It just doesn't sag underneath them in any way whatsoever. And for me, the pacing and writing were straightforward but lovely.
"Hi," he says.
I laugh a little wildly. His greeting strikes me as hilarious, when I've spent hour
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Dating Makes Perfect was beyond adorable and so much fun! With a story line that played out like I was watching a movie, characters that leaped off of the pages and moments that made my heart beat faster, this book easily became an instant favorite! If you love enemies to lovers and young adult, then you'll definitely want to add this one to your tbr!
My breath catches. What is he doing? He wouldn’t kiss me, like he threatened. Would he? No way. But he’s so close…
He leans even farther—and then p
Paula M
AHHH!!! I CAN'T STOP SMILING!!!

description

"How am I supposed to survive three months fake-dating the most obnoxious boy in the entire world?"

I spent the whole time reading this book sighing, swooning and just smiling. And even after finishing the book, it's like someone put a hanger in my mouth because of how big my smile is. I can't believe this is the first time I picked up a book by Pintip Dunn! This will definitely not be the last.

In Dating Makes Perfect, we follow the story of the youngest Tech sister
Kerys (The Everlasting Library)
Dating Makes Perfect is one of those books that you can’t help but love. I loved all the Tech sisters by the end of the first chapter (no exaggeration) and I literally could not stop smiling. This book is just too!! damn!! cute!! I somewhat expected there to be conflict between Winnie and her twin sisters but their relationship was so wholesome.

“I will never be insulted by a compliment to my sisters. The competition among us has never amounted to a grain of rice. Their wins are mine and vice ver
Storiesandcoffee
Apr 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hs-romance
Dating Makes Perfect is such a cute OV young adult rom-com.

Though it's obvious where the story is going from the get-go, I found comfort in the sweet, innocent romance, the bond between the Tech sisters, and the Thai-American culture. I also loved how all of the "fake dates" in this book are inspired by real romantic comedies...it was so adorable.

Sometimes you just need stories like this in your life for a cozy weekend of reading. ❤️

3.5/5 🌟
Diana
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ownvoices
2'5 stars, it was an okay read.

It was a fun easy read, an #ownvoices rom-com.

We have a Thai family, with their own traditions and ideas about dating.
There's tons of food mentions, this book can make you hungry haha
We have an Indian best friend, and we will also find Black and LGTBI rep. So, kuddos for all this.

We find the trope enemies to lovers but maxified: from childhood friends, to enemies, to fake dating to friends to lovers. We did cover a lot of ground here!

P.S. The book is entertaining a
Tricia
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a perfect summer read! You know the kind, something light and quick and fun. Honestly I haven't been feeling much YA lately but this was the ideal choice for dipping a toe back in, I was able to read it all in two sittings.

The relationships in this book were wholesome and cute. I liked that while obviously it was a romance, it was mostly about a young girl finding herself. I also really enjoyed being immersed in Winnie's life and culture. While it can be great to see yourself in a chara
Amanda TheFunSizeReader
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure how to even start this review without sounding like a raving spaz.

The Fun Size Reader Instagram | BookTube Channel

In short, I LOVED this book. Totally my kind of five star read! I read it in pretty much one sitting because I did not want to put it down. I feel like there’s something in this book that everyone can love: a little Lara Jean, a little Gilmore Girls, a little 80s and 90s romcoms, and I loved that beautiful mashup. I could not help just sitting there and smiling as I read
Shenwei
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
reposted from my blog:

I really love the cover for this book, and I’m happy to say that the story lived up to the expectations set by the cover.

Winnie was a lot of fun to follow because her character voice really animated the story. The reader is fully immersed in her head, experiencing the joys and pains of first love, the highs and lows of adolescence, the hopes and fears that drive Winnie’s decisions. She struggles to assert herself, inhibited by insecurities, and that aspect of her personalit
Marie
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases, arcs
Trigger warnings: (view spoiler)
Diversity: Thai-American main character (ownvoices), Thai-American side characters and love interest, bisexual Thai-American side character, Indian-American side character.

Ahh I had so much fun reading this book. I loved the family vibes, loved the close sisters relationship, the exploration of romance and the childhood best friends to enemies to fake
Patty
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: Dating Makes Perfect⁣
By: Pintap Dunn⁣
Genre: YA Romance⁣
Format: ARC thank you so much to my friends at @entangledteen for my gifted copy- Pub day is 8/18/2020!⁣

The Tech sisters are not allowed to date in high school- because of their strict parents. But when the oldest twins report they are struggling with dating.... Winnies parents decide its time for her to fake date. They pick the locations, the time, and the person.... who just happens to be Winnies sworn enemy, Mat. ⁣

The very
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]

Okay, so even though I got an ARC copy I ended up reading this way after the publication date. Which is a shame, because I was depriving myself of pretty good entertainment.

First things first: it sounds like it, but this is not a Thai-American retelling of Taming of the Shrew . After the first few chapters, which in any case are the weakest part of the story, it goes its own way. And that totally works.

Seventeen-year-old Orrawin (aka Winnie) is younger sister to the beautiful, accomplis
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
Well now - wasn't this just the cutest read! It was exactly what I needed between my darker reads. I love seeing Asian American representation through this Thai family. Winnie also represents every teen girl out there who wasn't allowed to date in high school, who wondered how their first kiss would go, who wanted to be the perfect daughter, who still needed to find the courage to stand up for what they wanted and not what they thought was expected of them.

Imagine your parents all of the sudden
Yoda
Nov 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Annoying parents? Check! Sweet main characters? Yes! Character development? Kind of. Cute scenes? Yes, so many!
Overall I´m definitely looking forward to more books like this or of this author!
Susan
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
thank you to entangled teen for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review!

gahhh i wanted to like this sooo bad!!! i have never EVER read a book with a thai main character, let alone from an own voices perspective! and in a rom com!! there def needs to be more asian rep in romance!! but unfortunately i did not enjoy this at all. though this is in part my fault -- this book is marketed towards people who enjoyed to all the boys ive loved before, and i gave that book 2 stars as well, so i
Tiffanie Dang
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-total, own-done, arcs
I was given an ARC of this by a friend who had an extra copy.

Oh, where to even begin? I loved everything about this book, from beginning to end, especially the individual nuances of each character. Although I’m not Thai (I’m Chinese), I wish this book existed over a decade ago when I was in high school with my own insecurities. My parents were also traditional in the sense that they wouldn’t let me date until college, so I had to secretly date (which was rare anyways). I found it refreshing that
Adiba Jaigirdar
Love love loved this book. It's funny, sweet, swoony. It has all of my favourite topes and it's so steeped in Thai culture. It also has an all-POC cast, which I love! I cannot recommend this highly enough. It's in my romcom hall of fame. ...more
sophie b
Aug 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
this just looks so fun
halfirishgrin
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO CUTE.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Rent a Boyfriend
  • Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
  • The Song of Achilles