Start by marking “Night of the Mannequins” as Want to Read:
Night of the Mannequins

Night of the Mannequins

Stephen Graham Jones returns with Night of the Mannequins, a contemporary horror story where a teen prank goes very wrong and all hell breaks loose: is there a supernatural cause, a psychopath on the loose, or both?
Published September 1st 2020 by Tor.com

Start your review of Night of the Mannequins
megs_bookrack
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
Night of the Mannequins is a heartbreakingly BRUTAL work of Psychological Horror. All straight from the mind of one of my favorite Horror writers, Stephen Graham Jones.

Jumping into this novella, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

To be honest, I never read the synopsis. I see the name, Stephen Graham Jones, on the cover and immediately pick it up. It's a compulsion.

Night of the Mannequins follows Sawyer, and his group of friends, when a prank goes horribly wrong.

Disguising a discarded mall mann
Gabby
This was fucking weird and I can’t stop thinking about it. Really unique and absolutely fascinating and creepy as hell.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well, shit! I’m the only person that didn’t like this book!! I wanted really creepy mannequins everywhere!! But no!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Farrah
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really cool psychological horror novella that I enjoyed way more than I expected to!

It begins with a group of friends playing a harmless prank but evolves into a multi-layered, chilling, violent and quite clever coming of age story.

It's written from the POV of a teenage boy and it felt legit and made me laugh out loud a couple of times too.
Lala BooksandLala
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Iconic
karen
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

cramming in as much spooktober as i can!

*************************************

We thought we'd play a fun prank on her, and now most of us are dead.

YES, YES, YES, right? the perfect setup for a perfectly fun teen slasher romp through bizarro territory.

except, no.

this was so good, but it was good in a completely different way than i was expecting. it's scary, but in a much deeper, more unsettling and lasting way than a killer-mannequin romp has any right to be.

Sometimes the real heroes, the sacr
jenny✨
09/01/2020: This deliciously gory-campy novella is out and about in the world now, and boy I am PUMPED to foist this on my friends!

So Shanna got a new job at the movie theatre, we thought we’d play a fun prank on her, and now most of us are dead, and I’m really starting to feel kind of guilty about it all.

THIS, FOLKS, IS HOW NIGHT OF THE MANNEQUINS OPENS. The whole novella is a devilishly campy teen slasher that had me covering my eyes and busting out ugly-laughing in equal measure.

All S
Tim
Oct 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, reviewed, 2020s
I saw the title of this book and then saw the mostly positive reviews that said it felt like a slasher flick with a sense of humor. "All right," I think. "So we got a killer mannequin story. Should be fun."

No, if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere. There's no way to discuss the plot without spoilers, so...

(view spoiler)
Char
A night at the movies, a prank gone wrong and a town turned on its head. I never know what to expect from Stephen Graham Jones, and this novella is no exception!

Told in the first person, Sawyer explains how his group of friends found an old mannequin in the mud near the river and how they dug him out, dressed him up and put him in a bunch of different situations. They named him Manny. As teenagers often do, they quickly tired of him and now he, (it?), resides on top of Sawyer's dad's old motorcy
s.penkevich
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to s.penkevich by: Richard Derus
Shelves: coming-of-age, horror
I’d read Frankenstein in AP English, so I knew you don’t just walk away from your creations. Not without consequences.

Growing up is hard to do. The friendships that seem unbreakable begin to wither and rust, things that once meant so much to us fade into oblivion, and we press on into the unknown. This can be frightening, especially for those who have difficulty being malleable against the tides of time. Then throw in a little murder…
Stephen Graham Jones delivers a blissfully succinct horror s
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was so much fun. I have to figure out how to review it without spoiling anything, because the entire story was super different from what I initially expected, but I had a blast reading this. RTC
Paul
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun, twisted, weird, sad. Like all of Stephen's stuff. Summed up by this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEJSe... ...more
Emma☀️
You get weird books and then you get this. Night of the Mannequins is a gory slasher in its truest form. Jones managed to take classic horror tropes and subvert them to create a compelling and mind-bending horror.
Yes, I did get confused during the first few pages but as soon as I got my bearings, I was having the time of my life.

Sawyer’s humor was so dark and witty, I could not help but chuckle during the serious moments. I definitely recommend if you’re looking for a classic horror tale that wi
Sadie Hartmann
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
One, last prank to emphasize the end of summer and then return to things more, serious. NIGHT OF THE MANNEQUINS is the zany story of a group of teens hunted by an entity named 'Manny'.
This novella is only 135 pages long! I can't believe there are reviews that are as long as my arm; too much information given!
Look, you don't need to know any of the plot details beyond was is shared on the back of this book:

"We thought we'd play a fun prank on her, and now most of us are dead."

You definitely do no
Robin
Beware, some might find spoiler-y content in my wee review below....

What can I say? It's Hallowe'en.

This was pret-ty bad, for me. Though, it might just be that I'm not into horror. If this is horror.

A kid who has been off his meds for 3 days goes nuts, thinks a mannequin is going to kill his friends. So he starts killing them instead, out of a twisted sense of mercy.

It isn't scary, it isn't amusing, and I really didn't enjoy being in this narrator's head.

It's short, so it's got that going for
Michael David
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
This novella sounded like a fun, creepy throwback...so I jumped on it!

This is about a prank gone awry amongst a group of teenaged friends. A prank involving a mannequin...and the bloody aftermath that this prank causes.

2.5 stars for originality, but I didn’t find it scary. I didn’t feel the 80’s slasher throwback vibe that the reviews described. The writing was stellar, and there were some shocking kills that I didn’t expect, but this just wasn’t my cup of cappuccino. ☕️

If anyone has recommen
Richard Derus
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real Rating: 4.5* of five

Stephen Graham Jones channels his inner brat, not for the first time, and with his usual success. He even mentions in his Acknowledgments that a bestie of his complimented him on his teen-voice...in such a way that he couldn't quite tell if it was a compliment. Of course it was, those are the best kind.

You don't need a book report from me, read the publisher's synopsis. So while Sawyer is caught in the nightmare of this book's reality, the thing that I loved was how ofte
Boston
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
First and foremost, thank you to the publisher for this arc in trade for an honest review.
Let’s start off with the few things I liked. I liked the unreliable narrator and I liked the idea of the book (no spoilers but a psychopath narrator is pretty interesting). Unfortunately those are the only things I can think of.
If it wasn’t obvious, though, I had a few issues with this book. The thing that most sticks out is the fact that by doubling the page count and making this a generic sized novel, i
Sara
This was...confusing. And not my idea of horror.

I'm new to the horror genre, but most of this just didn't stir any kind of emotion from me at all - let alone fear. I think this is largely in part due to the writing style. It's told in a very conversational tone, often with the narrator justifying his actions through his thought process. This leads the sentences to feel quite disjointed at times, which disrupts the narrative too much for me.

I also thought that none of the characters are particul
Kimberly
NIGHT OF THE MANNEQUINS is a novella by Stephen Graham Jones. This gave me a "B-movie" feeling throughout, that was fast paced and full of dark humor. In addition to the horror, there was a strong coming-of-age theme here, that underlies the entire tale.

The opening sentence really sets the tone for how our unreliable narrator views things, and instantly grabs your attention.

"So Shanna got a new job at the movie theater, we thought we'd play a fun prank on her, and now most of us are dead and
Saswati
Dec 02, 2020 marked it as i-give-up
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 30%.
Really weird writing style, can't get into it.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, review-copy
4.5 Stars
What an entertaining and unexpected novella! This started out as a classic coming of age narrative, but quickly evolved in a brilliant slasher story.

The writing and characters were both excellent as I have come to expect from Graham Jones. His work always has a literary flair, but this one leaned more into the genre fiction with a gripping narrative plot.

As a novella, this was the perfect length. Horror works so well in the short form and this one maintained it's suspense from start to
Melissa
I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

This is a short, sweet smack of a novel that opens with one of the greatest lines ever: "So Shanna got a new job at the movie theater, we thought we’d play a fun prank on her, and now most of us are dead, and I’m really starting to feel kind of guilty about it all." You get everything you're going to need to know from this line - you're instantly in the story and aware that this is going to be a little bit funny as well as a littl
Rue
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, horror
SO SHANNA GOT A new job at the movie theater, we thought we’d play a fun prank on her, and now most of us are dead...

IMG-20200924-095012
Now that's the opening I want out of a horror book and that's pretty much all you need to know before easing into this one. For me personally, I love a good horror with a bit of an erratic twist. One noteworthy thing is that the main character is sort of unreliable/childish which works fine with a slasher book dealing with mannequin. The writting here may or may not work for e
Fiona
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-n-sweet, horror
So Shanna got a new job at the movie theater, we thought we'd play a fun prank on her, and now most of us are dead, and I'm really starting to feel kind of guilty about it all.

It's not any kind of a secret that I'm here for pretty much anything Stephen Graham Jones lets out into the world; the man really knows his horror, and he plays with tropes like he's the Neo of the genre and gets a secret view into the fabric that makes up a good horror story. But I like to think I'm not biased - or maybe
Ghoul Von Horror
Jessica Woodbury
This is a sneaky little novella that starts as one thing and then slowly reveals itself to be another thing entirely, which is absolutely my jam.

As far as what vein of horror novel we're talking about here, this does include violence and gore, and you could look at it as a riff on the slasher novel. But really this is one of those books where you realize with growing dread that everything is very, very bad.

I really don't want to say much more than that, because that already feels like verging
Jon Recluse
A group of friends, and a juvenile prank involving a mannequin that goes off script has one of those involved wondering if they have unleashed something....unexpected.
When the target of the prank is killed in an accident....it falls to him to stop what they have begun....at any cost.
There are many paths to madness....belief in a killer mannequin may be the least of them.

A disturbing coming of age tale that will haunt your dreams.

Highly recommended.

This was an eArc from Netgalley and Tor.com.

Exp
Andrew Fowlow
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A group of teens stumble upon a mannequin which quickly becomes the highlight of their summer. After a series of pranks, Manny the mannequin is stored away and forgotten until a few of the teens decide to pull one big amazing prank. They devise a plan to dress Manny up and post him up in a seat at the theatre their friend works at. They even go as far to purchase Manny a ticket. The night finally came and it was time to put their plan into motion. Once Manny was in place everything was happening ...more
Dennis
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Night of the Mannequins is a juicy and juicy witty psychological horror, told in the perspective of the main character. After a prank involving a mannequin in a movie theater goes awry, a group of friends and their livelihoods are changed forever. This book is at times scary and at times a satire of the horror genre. It definitely is a fun quick read that horror fans will enjoy. I left it wanting more of the story, but I also really felt that it was a solid novella.

• The City of Light (Whiteout Book 4)
  • The Numbing (Whiteout Book 3)
  • The Dark Winter
  • The Deep
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • The Loop (The Loop Trilogy, #1)
  • Glyceride
  • Darling Rose Gold
Stephen Graham Jones is the NYT bestselling author of twenty-five or thirty books. He really likes werewolves and slashers. Favorite novels change daily, but Valis and Love Medicine and Lonesome Dove and It and The Things They Carried are all usually up there somewhere. Stephen lives in Boulder, Colorado. It's a big change from the West Texas he grew up in. He's married with a couple kids, and pro ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Shanna was the first to go. And by "go" I mean die. And by "die" I mean get killed.” 0 likes
“Sometimes you just know what you're doing is the only thing to be doing. That the world is conspiring all around you to make it happen, like, not just giving you permission, but herding you the direction you need to go, giving you secret nods and obvious hand signals, and getting everything out of the way so you have the clearest path possible.” 0 likes