Start by marking “What if it's you?” as Want to Read:

What if it's you?

***A retelling of Cinderella with role reversal set in contemporary India***

Would love look different?

A 19-year-old movie-star returns to her hometown to finish her education. Having traded her childhood for fame and success, she now craves for a simpler college life and deeper friendships that go beyond flattery and fakeness. The
Published December 14th 2019 by Amazon Asia-Pacific Holdings Private Limited

To ask other readers questions about What if it's you?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What if it's you?

Start your review of What if it's you?
Sukanya   (theemptycartridge)
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is kinda modern retelling of Cinderella, with interchange of characters. I wouldn’t say there’s much of uniqueness in the story, since the plot seemed quite common for me. The narration is good. This plot would be a perfect Bollywood drama.
There’s a lot of events going on in Vihang’s life, but I wish he acted smartly instead of being driven to emotions. Shaira, on the other hand seemed to be quite depressed all of the times.
Its a pure YA contemporary and if you are interested in simple
Moumita Roy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
What if it's you?: An unusual digital-age love story by Mitali Meelan

This is a Cinderella retelling with role reversal set in modern days India.A movie star returned to her home town. Society and so called "Fame" have taken away the peaceful life from her. She all wants right now is a simple life. In a Bookstore she hides a letter and asks for an email friendship. The boy who finds this letter doesn't have a peaceful life either. His step-mother and step-bother have bossed his life .

This is a
Yogesh Yeeshu
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fairy tale retelling set in modern days of India. A story of 19 year old girl who craves a simple college life. Having a poor social life she decided a unique way to meet new people. She hides a letter in bookstore and asks the finder to be her E-mail buddy but on one condition that is not to reveal their identity until they get to know each other well.

Would love look different?

Answer to this is very interesting which surely gonna stick you to this
Avani Shah
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
What if it's you by Mitali Meelan is a Cinderella fairytale in Indian contemporary context. The book is about a 19 year old girl who is a movie star. She now returns to her hometown for completing her education and taking a bread from the film industry.

Shaira now wants to live a low-key life here away from her fame and success. She meets Vihang, who finds her book where she has hidden a note. The book is filled with cute romance and funny moments in between. Like a perfect rom-com movie and
Anubha Garg
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Summing up what I felt about this book is actually quite a task. This book was a rollercoaster ride of emotions and left me smiling at some moments and teary at others. The emotions,which the author has infused into the story, made my connection with the characters really strong and just made me want to know more. The language of the book, the way the characters develop, the manner and the pace at which the plot unravels, it's all amazing and shows the expertise of the author in weaving plain ...more
M .
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
"What if minds met first, and then the faces? Would love look different?"

Vihang who is struggling with his messed up life, family issues and bullies at college, comes across a letter, in a book, from an anonymous girl looking for an email buddy. Finding it intriguing, he decides to reply to the letter.
Shaira, on the other hand, is a fairly popular girl(a big screen movie star), looking for a normal life and searching for someone to open up to. So when destiny puts them together, a beautiful and
Honey & Anjali
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
What if it's you? by Mitali Meelan is a Cinderella retelling with role reversal where the boy is the one who needs saving. Apart from the swapping of gender roles, the story is set in a completely different desi setting where our protagonists are Indian. The book follows the journey Shaira, a 19-year-old celebrity and Vihang, a simple and good natured boy with a cruel step mother. The story is all about the hardships their love has to face because of the class differences in between.

I absolutely
Sakshi Aggarwal
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What if it's you is modern retelling of Cinderella with role reversal. Vihang, our main character who is oppressed by his step mother and bullied in college, found a letter in a book deep hidden in a bookstore. And that's from where his story starts.
He starts emailing that email mentioned in letter and become email buddies without revealing identities. He doesn't know he's talking to Shaira, a multimillionaire celebrity, who in her heart is lonely and desperately needs a friend.
What happens when
Karishma Pahuja
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
TITLE - What If It's You?
AUTHOR - Mitali Meelan

Achieving a fame and losing your peaceful life is like being alone in dark.

What If It's You by Mitali Meelan is a retelling story of Cinderella with role reversal set in contemporary India. This story is of Vihang, a 20-year-old guy who gets bullied in college and bossed around at home by his stepmother and stepbrother. Whatever his life gave him, he accepted it. Shaira a 19 year old movie star had traded her childhood for fame and success but now
Pretty Little Bibliophile
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
What if it’s You? by Mitali Meelan was a gender-swap on the classic tale of Cinderella that we have all grown up on.
I was a bit hesitant going into the book because retellings of fairytales, that I enjoyed as a kid, is kind of a make-it or a break-it situation. But I am so happy to state that this book flew past my expectations! I absolutely loved this story and simply devoured it.
In this story the roles are reversed - we have Vihang who has a cruel stepmother and Saira who is a famous movie
Riya Bhatia
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
There are two things in this book I really liked. The cinderella retelling bit and the meeting because of a book bit. Sadly, those were the only two things.
This is a cinderella retelling in the modern world with rolse reversed. We follow Vihang and Shaira. Vihang taking the place of cinderella in the story. He is bullied at college and lives in an abusive home, desperate to find an escape from the hardships in his life.
Shaira a big screen movie star, who never had a childhood or anything beyond
Devanshi Sanghani
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have always loved Cinderella Stories because they give a message of always going through the hardest and standing up for yourself when your life falls apart, also it makes me believe in true love.
This is a Cinderella retelling story as the Author already mentions in the book and the roles of the gender has been reversed.
Although a Cinderella retelling, this one is a modern one, the one happening in the 21st century.
Shaira who is a famous Indian actress doesn't find herself comfortable to be
Ipshita Das
What if it's you?

It's an unusual digital age love story. A retelling of fairy tale Cinderella. The main characters around whose the story revolves is named as Vihaan and Shaira. Shaira a 19 year old big screen movie star who now lounges for a normal life, returns to her hometown to complete her education and take a break from her movie buzzed life. She is in search of meaningful friendship, hides a note into her favour book in a library, and ask the person who finds it to becoming her virtual
Amrita Banerjee
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story revolves around Vihang and Shaira where Vihang is surrounded by tragedy, from his step mother’s torment to get bullied in college altogether forges him to suffer, a fleck of light materializes in his life when he discovers a letter while flipping through a book in a bookstore.
On the other hand, Shaira, a big screen movie star since childhood, returns to her hometown to finish her education, being widely known because of her dashing fame, people treat her differently but she yearns
Kishore Krishnamoorthy
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A crisp, cute, stylish, new-age digital love story is what Mitali has taken in hand for her next book. The plot, the characters, the emotions are all so perfect that you will be in a very good zone while reading this book.

Mitali has a unique way of portraying love through her words which keeps us, the readers spell-bound. Keep up the same spirit, Mitali.

Vihang & Shaira - a cute pair who have their own share of roller-coster rides in their lives, finally cross each others’ path, courtesy
Solitude books
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many a times fame takes away the receiving of real friendship and care. People get inclined to us for the glamourous world we live in. But this story takes us in such a situation where he lives of the hero and the heroine are very contrasting to each other.

Shaira is very popular , she craves for simplicity that someone likes her for what she is in the core and not due to her fame. And Here is vihag who is engrossed in arguments with his step ma . He is not popular ,often gets thrashed .

He
pristine.books
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
The story was not much different from the general romance that I often come across. So, I was pretty indifferent the whole read. Let me tell you now that I am not a fan of romantic reads because they are more often disappointing with the same old clichés. The book was a cliché too, with the over the top dialogues and unrealistic scenarios. So maybe, this wasn’t ideal for me.
The language is simple and lucid. There are funny moments which was refreshing. It is a light read, good for beginners or
Vaidehi Sharma
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Hi bookish nerds! I hope y'all are doing well and how's this year treating you? This is my first review post of #2020. Thank you alpha influencers for this review copy. What if it's you by Mitali Meelan is of YA genre and has all the apt ingredients to lure the readers who like to read this genre. What if it's you is a retelling of Cinderella with a role reversal. Vihang is living with a stepmom and is not really having a life to be called life on the other hand Shaira is living her dream life ...more
Geeta Thakkar
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Would love look different?

A very beautifully written story which can also be called as modern retelling of Cinderella set in contemporary India. But there's a twist in this retelling. Not only the times it's based in, here the roles are reversed too.
19 year old Shaira, a successful actor is the Prince of our story and 20 year old Vihang who is troubled by his step mother and step sister is our Cinderella.

Love is often found in unexpected places. In this
Mamata | _booksandtealife
What if it's you? by Mitali Meelan is a Cinderella retelling with roles reversed and a desi setting.
Here, it's the boy who needs to be saved from his cruel and mean step-mother.

Shaira is a 19-year old young and famous movie star who has now returned to her hometown to take a break from her stardom and complete her higher education. She now wants to live a low-key life here in this small town away from the fame and success. She loves reading books and it is through one of this books that she gets
Ruth
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Vihang and Shaira are two teenagers who come in contact with each through a letter which Shaira writes and hides it in one of the books in a library.

On finding the letter Vihang skeptically responds back to Shaira anonymously through email.
Belonging to contrasting family backgrounds and lifestyle, but finding common ground through the book, a interesting virtual friendship blossoms.
How will they react when their identities are revealed? Will they be accepting?

The story is a modernized
Booxoul
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes reading heavy book can be daunting. Mitali Meelan’s book ‘What if it’s You?’ came to me when I was surrounded by some of the heavy reads. And I was desperately searching for a beautiful romantic read. Thank goodness, I got to read it. Reading it felt like a breath of fresh air.

This beautifully written story can also be called Cinderella's contemporary Indian modern narrative, with a twist. Yes, this modern retelling has reversed roles, which again turned out to be the star of the
Ankit Chouhan
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
What if it's you is a young adult fiction and is also has subtitle A Cinderella Retelling with Role Reversal, but it isn't that simple to recreate a story with role being reversed so i liked the concept of the plot, but plot lack the uniqueness that Cinderella story had.

The mind always goes into comparison mode while reading such stories, but as a stand alone young adult fiction, the plot is above average.

Narration is good in the beginning but is being dragged towards the end portion of the
Hema
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of fairytales or like reading about it I will definitely recommend this book to you. This is a Cinderella retelling but there is reverse in the role. The boy Vihang here in the story is the original Cinderella about which we all know step mother and the sibling relation. The main character Shaira a big star having returned to her hometown and having no friends comes out with a very unique method of connecting. She hides a letter in a book at a bookstore and just needs a friend ...more
Rossy Dourado
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's A Beautiful retelling of a Classic Tale; and it's written so intricately that you can't even get your finger to the revelation it's a Retold story.

This book is in POV of Vihang who is our simple, hard working, always in trouble or crisis guy and Shaira who is a silver screen star, rich and has no obstacle to hinder her fairy tale.With all the emotional aspect; gripping plot, well written dialogues and lucid language; this book makes an upcoming YA.

Although the author leaves us on a
Gunjan | Bookworm Reads
What if it's you? by Mitali Meelan is a retelling of Cinderella but with role reversal set in modern India. Shaira, a 19-year-old celebrity has come back home to live a simple life, away from all the chaos of film industry and media scrutiny.

Vihang, on the other hand, has a completely different lifestyle from her. He lives with his step mom and his father is always away for business. His step mom is cruel and evil as one could be. He does all the cleaning, cooking, all kinds of household chores,
Arya P B
#bookreview

Title : What If It's You?
Author : Mitali Meelan

QOTD : Your first read of 2020?

A Cinderella Retelling with Role Reversal, first I wonder why this was mention. When I proceed forward and understood that it's Cinderella of modern time. Two people meeting through a letter. One is an actress and the guy is something who is neglected by his step-mother and step -son. Both of them meet through a letter in which an email id was mentioned.

The book was an amazing love story, not like the
Shreyasi Basu
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
" What if hearts met first
and then the faces?
Would love look different?"
From the first page, When I read those three lines, I knew this story is going to take my heart with its discerning story lines. So, here I go.

Writing style and story lines impressed me a lot. Author has power to attract her readers by her work. Words are lucid , classy and easy to understand for new readers. All main and sub characters are well developed and defined with time. Narrations are from two aspects depending on
Jaskanwar Singh
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
SHRADDHA MAHAPATRA
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
A contemporary fairy tale written in quite a captivating way. The plot is very similar to that of Cinderella which makes it a little predictable and hence boring at times. Otherwise the narration is gripping with perfectly bendable characters in the story. People who enjoy romance genre will love this book

• Unleash That River
  • FREEDOM : Human Trafficking and Encounter with Soul
  • You Beneath Your Skin
  • The Camphor Of Night
  • Invisible Ties
  • The Apple: History's greatest mystery. Mankind's greatest theft.
  • SHE- Screw Silence!
  • Love Unexpected
  • Ease
  • Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar
  • Khantastic - The untold story of Bollywood’s trio
  • Badoga (Music Men Volume 1)
After getting her degree in literature, she worked for a publishing house and a magazine. She currently works at a media company while pursuing her first love of writing books on the side.
She’s the author of three novels
What if it's you, A Long Way Home (published by HarperCollins India) and The Guest (published by Black Ink Books)
and the author of 'Coffee and Ordinary Life', a collection of