Start by marking “A Case of Suicide in St. James's (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #5)” as Want to Read:
A Case of Suicide in St. James's (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #5)

A Case of Suicide in St. James's

(Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #5)

When Douglas Westray, the son of an eminent aircraft manufacturer, is found shot dead in a locked room at a society ball, it seems obvious that it’s suicide—after all, he had two failed engagements behind him, and had lost the family firm a prestigious prize through his own neglect. But not everybody is convinced—including Freddy Pilkington-Soames, who soon discovers that ...more
Published July 10th 2019 by Mount Street Press (first published June 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Case of Suicide in St. James's, please sign up.
Clara Benson Hi Joy. I'm not sure, but I hope it won't be as long between books this time. I have a couple of things on the go so I need to work out where to put i…moreHi Joy. I'm not sure, but I hope it won't be as long between books this time. I have a couple of things on the go so I need to work out where to put it in my schedule, but as soon as I have it figured out I will let everyone know!(less)

Start your review of A Case of Suicide in St. James's (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #5)
Elisa
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful volume in the Freddy series. Shady suspects, lavish parties and great ambiance that makes me wish to be a lady of leisure back in the day. I love the chemistry between Gertie and Freddy.
Andrea
Another solid entry. It doesn't quite have the charm of Benson's first series, but it's still nicely readable. ...more
Heatherinblack
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
great mystery. felt slow.

while i had some suspicions as to who the murderer was near the murder itself, the solution was great. it all could have been circumstantial, it lead them to the right places. the beginning drag for me, it wasn’t a “cannot put it down” book until near the end. well written, clever and entertaining.
Debbie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this latest Freddy mystery, especially with the indomitable Gertie as his sidekick!
Highly recommend!
Amanda Jane
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A more apt name would be "The Wrong Shoes"

Douglas Westray is unhappy, he's lost his fiancée to his best friend, in his father's bad books for having forgotten to register a patent and lost not just a big prize for the company but rights to their own design.

It doesn't feel like things could be any worse but now he's at the engagement party for his exfiancée, Tatty, and best friend, Tom, and he's drunkenly interrupted the speeches to warn Tatty that Tom is a cad!

She takes him off to calm down and
Bruce E.
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is sort of a review of all five to which I gave three five-star and two four-star ratings. I must say I liked the fifth book the best mostly because of the addition of Gertie. The five books are carried by Fredy. While I read the books in strict sequence I was always looking forward to another hour or so with Fredy He was fun and comfortable He was not like Lara in "Dr Zhivago", with whom I was madly in love as a young man. He was just a good friend. I ws a little surprised to like the cha ...more
Karen
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I preferred book 4 but...

I preferred book 4 and in fact rated it 5 stars which may be why I was a bit disappointed in this. I even dallied with the thought of making it a 3 but then it was a solid 3.5 so brought it up to 4 since I think my main complaint about this book is that there is less Freddy in it cos Gertie and Corky take far too much space. I don't like Gertie. She's annoying and I get bored reading about her. I don't like Corky either. (Although in this book he's not that irritating.)
Valerie
Karen
Nov 25, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Another enjoyable entry in this series; a bit slower to get going than the first four, but still a good well-written mystery. Freddie is his usual self and Gertie is a great foil for him.
Sue
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable.Looking forward to the next in series.
Pauline Ross
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a whole heap of fun. I’ve been following along with Clara Benson since the very first Angela Marchmont book, and after ten Angela adventures, here we are with the fifth of the spin-off series, featuring insouciant man-about-town Freddy Pilkington-Soames. Freddy is very funny, and he’s a much more active investigator of murders than ladylike Angela, but he also lacks Angela’s mysterious past (or perhaps I should say, if he has such a thing, it’s keeping a low profile). Nor does he have A ...more
Irene Vartanoff
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Taking place in the lighthearted 1920s in London's upper crust, this is a good "locked room" mystery that is lighter in the solving than usual and helps balance the unfairness of the main murder. Sometimes the most obnoxious person in the book gets killed and one is interested in knowing who did it, but it seems like rough justice regardless. In this case, not so, a true tragedy. Amiable Freddy and his friend Gertie, whom we've met before, team up to prove that an apparent suicide was actually a ...more
Shannon
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore this series!

While I loved dear Angela, Freddie has become my favorite “not a Cotswold Baker with a policeman boyfriend” sleuth.historically accurate, details oriented, quirky and cute and still mysterious enough - this has it all. Start with the Marchmont series and meet our hero properly. It’s worth it.
Kay Barre
Jan 18, 2021
Annette
Apr 21, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mystery by the Sea (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery #5)
  • Murder in Tuscany (Posie Parker Mystery #11)
  • Murder in the London Lights (Posie Parker Mystery #10)
  • Murder in the Churchyard: A 1920s cozy mystery (A Tommy & Evelyn Christie Mystery Book 3)
  • Murder at the Village Fete (Tommy & Evelyn Christie #2)
  • Murder at the Royal Albert Hall (Ginger Gold Mysteries #13)
  • Murder in the Belltower (Miss Underhay Mysteries #5)
  • Murder at the Manor (Tommy & Evelyn Christie #1)
  • A Witness to Murder (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery #3)
  • Marriage is Murder? (Posie Parker Mystery)
  • Murder on the White Cliffs (Posie Parker Mystery #8)
  • Murder in the Snow (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery #4)
  • Murder on a Midnight Clear (High Society Lady Detective, #6)
  • Murder in Hyde Park (Ginger Gold Mysteries #12)
  • Murder on the Cornish Coast (Rose Simpson #10)
  • Murder on the Dance Floor (Miss Underhay Mysteries #4)
  • Lord James Harrington and the Michaelmas Fair Mystery (Lord James Harrington #10)
  • The Saltwater Murder (Posie Parker Mystery #7)
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures (6 books)
  • A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #1)
  • A Case of Murder in Mayfair (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #2)
  • A Case of Conspiracy in Clerkenwell (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #3)
  • A Case of Duplicity in Dorset (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #4)
  • A Case of Robbery on the Riviera