Start by marking “Parting the Veil” as Want to Read:
Parting the Veil

Parting the Veil

American socialite Richard Jericho is a world-renowned treasure hunter. British professor of archaeology Wilkins Chapman is his stoic compatriot.

Together, the two have uncovered antiquities from South America, Africa, and Southeast Asia. On their most recent trip to the jungles of Peru, they discover something more than they expected.

As the fabric of reality comes apart, t
Published August 9th 2019 by Kyanite Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Parting the Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parting the Veil

Start your review of Parting the Veil
Shawn Burgess
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed B.K. Bass' Parting the Veil. This novel moves at a swift pace and is very well written. The story is great, mixing Lovecraftian elements with adventures reminiscent of the Indiana Jones series. I'm looking foward to finding out where the story goes next. ...more
Kim Williams
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PARTING THE VEIL by B.K. Bass thrusts the reader on an adventure reminiscent of Indiana Jones meets The Mummy. Richard, an American treasure hunter, and Wilkins, an English professor of archeology, uncover more than a simple antiquity in the jungles of Peru. Their discovery unleashes horror on the nearby village, prompting the two men to leave expeditiously. Unexplainable events follow them as they seek to unravel the meaning of the idol within their possession. The appearance of a lone Frenchma ...more
Professor Cognome
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick trip down the gothic rabbit hole. This story includes aspects of Lovecraft, Verne and the Indiana Jones series, yet the author has a voice that is distinctly his own. Bass is excellent at combining craft elements we usually expect in literary fiction (strong character development,interiority, and carful attention to setting) while not taking away from the action (or fun!)

Full disclosure: I was lent a digital ARC to review, but have an order in for my print copy - it’s that good.
Crystal Kirkham
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of being able to read an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this incredible novel.

This isn't the first book I've had a chance to read as an ARC by B.K. Bass. I previously reviewed Warriors of Understone and absolutely loved it. I consider myself lucky to be able to read more of his work. Of course, that means I have certain expectations going into reading this novel.

If you read my previous review of his work, you will have noticed that I went on and on about the world-building. Wh
Anthony Redden
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I sat down to read Parting the Veil, I did not realise that it would consume my life until it was done. I literally could not put the book down without a great yearning to know more about what would happen to the characters next.
This story focuses upon an unlikely team of treasure hunters in the form of a brash, rich American explorer, and a more reserved and cautious English archaeologist/academic. Together they have made a business from seeking out rare and presumed lost artefacts and se
Jill Squire
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Enthralling and Epic Adventure of Twists, Turns & Mystery!

I was given an Advanced Reader Copy of “Parting the Veil” in exchange for an honest review.

“Parting the Veil” is hands down one the best books I have read in a long time! I am so looking forward to the continuation of this epic adventure in Book II of this “Beyond the Veil” series and see what else this author will bring us in the future!

Bass’s writing is sublime, rich, seamless, and not a word is wasted!

This story is a snappy, yet
HeyyAjj
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the adventure and references to current events at that time. The character dialogues, accents, and personalities were great! While this was a great story and dark and interesting adventure this didn't give me the "I can't put this down feeling". Mind you I still loved everything about the story and was always ready and excited to come back chapter after chapter. I enjoyed the dark eerie curse and the constant what ifs. Overall good read! Job well done B. K. Bass! ...more
J.D. Sanderson
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are very few writers today who can craft a world the way B.K. Bass can. It's rich, it's layered, and it's enticing. The characters are real, the story is gripping, and you are a bit sad when you reach the last page. As much as I want to gush about my favorite this or that, even the slightest detail would lead to spoilers.

Slow hand clap for Parting the Veil.
Jessica Piro
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I blazed through this book because of the constant intrigue, peril, adventure, and likeable characters. While there were some typos and punctuation errors, it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the story.
I eagerly await the sequel!
Michael Nadeau
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished this gem in 5 hours...I just couldn’t put it down. The rich history and landscapes bring the imagery right to you and the descriptive horror had me reeling. Can’t wait for more of this story!
Jim Grenier
Oct 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book by this amazing author and editor. Bass excels at world building. Set in the 1930s, this book is part Lovecraft, part Indiana Jones, and all its own thing.
julie prout-reuter
Feb 26, 2020
Valerie
Nov 02, 2021
B.K.
Aug 02, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authored-books

• Memory Reborn
  • The Soulweb
  • Loved Mars, Hated the Food
  • Oil and Water
  • Sleepy Hollow: Rise Headless and Ride (Jason Crane, #1)
  • The Soul Must Go On (Journey of Souls, #2)
  • Simone LaFray and the Chocolatiers' Ball (Simone LaFray, #1)
  • The Fire Next Time
  • Kingdom of Thorns
  • Michael McGillicuddy and the Most Amazing Race
  • The Fires of Treason
  • Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane, #2)
  • Sleepy Hollow: General of the Dead (Jason Crane #3)
  • Russia's Protectorates in Central Asia
  • Cathal Brugha
  • The Darkness Returns (Lythinall #1)
  • More Than Freedom: Fighting for Black Citizenship in a White Republic, 1829-1889
  • Ascension of the Phoenix (The Phoenix Trilogy, #1)
B.K. Bass is the author of over a dozen works of science fiction, fantasy, and horror inspired by the pulp fiction magazines of the early 20th century and classic speculative fiction. He is also a freelance editor with experience both as a publisher and editor-in-chief of a literary journal. When B.K. isn’t dreaming up new worlds to explore, he spends his time as a lifelong student of history, boo ...more

News & Interviews