Start by marking “The Stone of Sorrow (Runecaster, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stone of Sorrow (Runecaster, #1)

The Stone of Sorrow

(Runecaster #1)

In a land of myth and ice, seventeen-year-old Runa Unnursdóttir is not the runecaster her clan has been hoping for. She spends her days daydreaming of sailing away and exploring the world instead of studying the runes and learning her spells. The villagers consider her odd, in looks and in manner. Shes nothing like her talented sister, Sýr, keeper of the sacred moonstone ...more
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Stone of Sorrow, please sign up.
Leslie Bootle Yes! There is a non-binary Valkyrie (who doesn't use gender pronouns) and Runa's sister Syr is in a F-F relationship.…moreYes! There is a non-binary Valkyrie (who doesn't use gender pronouns) and Runa's sister Syr is in a F-F relationship. (less)

Start your review of The Stone of Sorrow (Runecaster, #1)
✨Brithanie Faith✨
3.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐.5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Looks like 2020 is going to be the year of mythology for me! The Stone Of Sorrow is one of several mythology inspired books coming out this year- and I was so grateful when Orca reached out to ask me if I'd like to review this one, because it was also written by a Canadian author- and if you didn't already know, I've been trying to challenge myself to read Canadian.

This was a solid start to a series that I
Dianne
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
My Rating: 2.5 Stars

Facing her destiny, Runa feels inadequate, lost and overwhelmed. She is not what her village had hoped for, nothing like her sister, but when her village is attacked, she is put in a position to grow beyond her doubts, her tiny place in the world and become the being she was meant to be, or die trying.

I was so ready to jump into this one, but I never got that connection I needed. ALL of the elements are there for sure, but they just didnt meld together quite right for me. Too
Brooke Carter
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dearest readers, I hope you enjoy Runa's journey as much as I loved writing it. Ratljóst.
Aaron
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Net Galley for the ARC of this book, the first of a young adult (but early young adult) series featuring Icelandic mythology. Written by a BC author and publishing on April 7 via Orca Books, this series features a lot of magic, a few love stories (not graphic, thus the early young adult comment) and a quest featuring different beings such as Valkyries and Elves.

Runa feels like she always been in the shadow of her powerful sister Syr, the keeper of the powerful moonstone that she uses
Holly Hughes
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok

Thank you to Orca Book Publishers for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

There were lots of promising pieces here, but in the end I was ultimately left feeling disconnected from every single character. They felt distant and far away, which made it a struggle for me to be invested despite the high stakes. As someone whose connection with the characters can make or break my reading experience... Yeah, this was break.

Between that and a standardized road trip fantasy
Kate (katereads13.blogspot.com)
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I did not finish this title. I found the main character changed too drastically in a short amount of time. This made it hard for me to believe the character and connect with them. The main protagonist starts out as a vulnerable girl shadowed by the legacy of her sister. However, within a few pages she is strong and making blood oaths with the boy who cursed her village trusting him wholeheartedly. This left me confused. Also she meets a Valkyrie who is referred to in plural but the story never ...more
Yara
2.5 stars. I was so disappointed with this book as it had so much potential. But it moved way too slowly, the MC was hard to relate to, and I didnt sense much of a connection between the main characters. It was really 2 stars for me but I upped it to 2.5 for the potential of a cool Nordic mythology based story. ...more
Dark.Side.of.the.Tome
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story had me from the start.

I thought the writing was strong and descriptive which I haven't seen as much lately in a lot of other books I've read. It was nice to feel more emersed in the story.

The story itself was enticing and unique. I really enjoyed the mythology and the setting. The way the beginning played out was so interesting to me and I needed to know what was going to happen.

The love the MC's have for eachother and their village really drives the story I enjoyed the journey to get
Clarissa
Jan 28, 2020 added it
Shelves: arc, lgbtq-rep, dropped
DNF

It just wasnt for me. I couldnt get into the characters, and I felt like there was some pacing issues. I was just not interested and being at the halfway point...I felt like I never would be.
Jamie Trauth
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Really excited about this one. I was drawn into it by the cover! Looks like a fun ride!

Arc review to come soon!
Jen Cameron
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, can't wait for the next in the series!
Amberrider
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was original, exciting and really moving in parts. Highly recommended!
Meghan
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Orca Book Publishers in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Family bond was the theme of this book. Runa was a runecaster but she would daydream and cast spells that are irrelevant to her practice. Then her sister being the best runecaster in the tribe, gets kidnapped from a rival tribe and Runa is forced to get her act together and help save her. Meeting a gorgeous half-elf and having her
Jessica
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
The Stone of Sorrow is a nuanced narrative that explores a deficient YA Fantasy niche. Brooke Carter deftly weaves Nordic mythology into her story and conjures a world of brutal beauty and magic. It is a bleak world of survival and sacrifice, but at its core is a story of sisterly devotion and love. Though undeniably absorbing, it is plagued by some flaws, especially pacing. It begins with long, languid strokes, but then proceeds with a rapidity that is detrimental to the story. The first part ...more
Olivia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*grabby hands* BOOK TWO PLEASE!
Leslie Bootle
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book: epic quest, social-norm-defying characters, curiosity piqued for the next book!
Mysti Mann
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Orca Book. The opinions in this review are my own thoughts and feelings.

To be honest Im not sure how Im feeling about this one completely. I liked it, I didnt love it, but Id like to continue the story to see where it goes.

The synopsis pulled me in with the mythology and this aspect of the story was what held my attention.

Our MC Runa is the village weirdo, which means shes the chosen one. She has an older sister
Reece
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
ARC from NetGalley

This book was missing something, and it's hard for me to articulate what that is. If you were to brief me on the plot, it would sound good, but in full form, it's just words without life. Nothing excited me. Nothing really made me feel much of anything. A good book will attach puppet strings to my heart, causing it to clench and pump and near burst. I wish this book had done that. I feel like it had a lot of potential, but the author needs to do some work figuring out
Kareenah E
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Publication Date April 07, 2020
Thank you Netgalley, Orca Book Publishers and the author for giving me an e-arc for my honest review.
It was hard to put into words my thoughts on this novel. It was entertaining yes, but I had no connection to the characters. For one particular character I felt needed more description and clarity, I wanted to know why is physical appearance was that a of a many beings? and also more of his back story. I do however find myself cheering for the main
Stephenie
Mar 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
Runa is studying to be a runecaster, like her talented sister, Sýr, but Runa doesn't take interest, she daydreams of her own adventures outside the village. There is also this mysterious moonstone that is important for their village survival. When her village is attacked and her sister is kidnapped by an evil witch, Runa embarks on a quest to rescue her sister. Along the way she meets a half human/half elf and a Valkyrie and the three form an odd team of sorts and somewhat comical one.

I really
Wendy
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Runa is a runecaster in training. Her sister, the keeper of the moonstone, has been training Runa for her destiny as a great runecaster for their small clan, but Runa isn't sure that this is her destiny. She is a freak, unsure of herself and her future. When Runa's sister is kidnapped by a witch of a rival clan, Runa finds herself on a quest to save her sister and the moonstone. Joined by a former Valkyrie and a half-elf she is unsure is trustworthy, Runa learns powerful secrets on a journey of ...more
Alyshia
Feb 01, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for this book. Unfortunately this book just wasnt for me. I ended up dnfing it at 50%. It never sucked me in. I didnt find myself caring about the plot or the characters or the setting or anything. It was also weird how everything was falling together. Like so convenient and fast. I dont know; it just wasnt for me. Plus all the mystery around Runa was odd. Halfway through the book and we still know nothing. Hmmmm. ...more
Khris Erickson
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of the book, however the writing didn't pull me in as well as I would have liked.

Character development was weak and therefore I didn't have an attachment to them. The scenes of the dangers the characters experienced were flat and not very suspenseful.

I liked this book, but really didn't love it.
Katelyn Beane
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. I liked so many aspects of it- the mythology, the magic, the runes. What I didn't like was the main character, she was so insecure that it bothered me. As the story progressed and her confidence grew I liked her more and more. The best part of this book is the mythology and the world-building, they were amazing. Overall, I thought the book was a pleasant read.
Aly
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Closer to 3.5/5 stars.

I liked the overall story, but I did feel like it dragged. I didn't like it enough to round up, even though there are some really great moments here that I enjoyed. I found the character development to be a bit meh. I would've liked to know more about the characters, especially since the worldbuilding is really well done.
Steph
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
The Stone of Sorrow was a book that had a lot of potential, but ultimately just didn't live up to the hype. I enjoyed the main character Runa and her willingness to adapt and embrace adventure to save her sister and her people. However, I didn't enjoy nor connect with the other characters. At some points in this book the writing was strong. The adventure was well written and the mythical creatures were unique and fascinating. But where it could be strong in those aspects it could also be weak ...more
Rebecca Whaley
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really couldn't get into this! I tried but this story just didn't speak to me. The story was long and drawn out in my opinion. The characters were not likeable to me. I had such high hopes for this.
Erica Deb
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was an enormous struggle to finish this book. The pacing was terrible, the main character was not particularly likable and sensitive topics we were handled with very little sensitivity. If I heard the main character refer to herself as a freak one more time I may have lost it.
Frankerton Shaah
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A dark magical adventure steeped in mythology, filled with despair and hope and the strength and courage it takes to fulfill a destiny. An epic journey of unexpected twists, intriguing companions, mystical creatures and wild places. I couldn't' put it down.
TheDeityChildren

• Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Seven Endless Forests
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Twin
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
  • Gotham High
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Mark of the Plague (The Blackthorn Key, #2)
  • Devious Lies (Cruel Crown, #1)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Blood of the Fae
Brooke Carter is the author of several young adult novels, including the upcoming Icelandic fantasy THE STONE OF SORROW (RUNECASTER BOOK #1), which debuts on April 7, 2020 and is available for pre-order now.

Brooke is also the author of: ANOTHER MISERABLE LOVE SONG, LEARNING SEVENTEEN, LUCKY BREAK, and THE UNBROKEN HEARTS CLUB.

Runecaster (3 books)
  • Untitled (Runecaster, #3)
  • Untitled (Runecaster, #3)