Start by marking “The Stone of Sorrow (Runecaster, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stone of Sorrow (Runecaster, #1)

The Stone of Sorrow (Runecaster, #1)

In a land of myth and ice, seventeen-year-old Runa Unnursdóttir is not the runecaster her clan has been hoping for. She spends her days daydreaming of sailing away and exploring the world instead of studying the runes and learning her spells. The villagers consider her odd, in looks and in manner. She’s nothing like her talented sister, Sýr, keeper of the sacred moonstone ...more
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Orca Book Publishers

Start your review of The Stone of Sorrow (Runecaster, #1)
Dianne
Feb 24, 2020 is currently reading it
@orcabook
Kate (katereads13.blogspot.com)
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I did not finish this title. I found the main character changed too drastically in a short amount of time. This made it hard for me to believe the character and connect with them. The main protagonist starts out as a vulnerable girl shadowed by the legacy of her sister. However, within a few pages she is strong and making blood oaths with the boy who cursed her village trusting him wholeheartedly. This left me confused. Also she meets a Valkyrie who is referred to in plural but the story never ...more
Yara
2.5 stars. I was so disappointed with this book as it had so much potential. But it moved way too slowly, the MC was hard to relate to, and I didn’t sense much of a connection between the main characters. It was really 2 stars for me but I upped it to 2.5 for the potential of a cool Nordic mythology based story.
Clarissa
Jan 28, 2020 added it
Shelves: arc, lgbtq-rep, dropped
DNF

It just wasn’t for me. I couldn’t get into the characters, and I felt like there was some pacing issues. I was just not interested and being at the halfway point...I felt like I never would be.
Meghan
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Orca Book Publishers in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Family bond was the theme of this book. Runa was a runecaster but she would daydream and cast spells that are irrelevant to her practice. Then her sister being the best runecaster in the tribe, gets kidnapped from a rival tribe and Runa is forced to get her act together and help save her. Meeting a gorgeous half-elf and having her
Jessica
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
The Stone of Sorrow is a nuanced narrative that explores a deficient YA Fantasy niche. Brooke Carter deftly weaves Nordic mythology into her story and conjures a world of brutal beauty and magic. It is a bleak world of survival and sacrifice, but at its core is a story of sisterly devotion and love. Though undeniably absorbing, it is plagued by some flaws, especially pacing. It begins with long, languid strokes, but then proceeds with a rapidity that is detrimental to the story. The first part ...more
Alyshia
Feb 01, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for this book. Unfortunately this book just wasn’t for me. I ended up dnf’ing it at 50%. It never sucked me in. I didn’t find myself caring about the plot or the characters or the setting or anything. It was also weird how everything was falling together. Like so convenient and fast. I don’t know; it just wasn’t for me. Plus all the mystery around Runa was odd. Halfway through the book and we still know nothing. Hmmmm.
Khris Erickson
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of the book, however the writing didn't pull me in as well as I would have liked.

Character development was weak and therefore I didn't have an attachment to them. The scenes of the dangers the characters experienced were flat and not very suspenseful.

I liked this book, but really didn't love it.
Aly
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-ebook
Closer to 3.5/5 stars.

I liked the overall story, but I did feel like it dragged. I didn't like it enough to round up, even though there are some really great moments here that I enjoyed. I found the character development to be a bit meh. I would've liked to know more about the characters, especially since the worldbuilding is really well done.
Steph
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
The Stone of Sorrow was a book that had a lot of potential, but ultimately just didn't live up to the hype. I enjoyed the main character Runa and her willingness to adapt and embrace adventure to save her sister and her people. However, I didn't enjoy nor connect with the other characters. At some points in this book the writing was strong. The adventure was well written and the mythical creatures were unique and fascinating. But where it could be strong in those aspects it could also be weak ...more
Erica Deb
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was an enormous struggle to finish this book. The pacing was terrible, the main character was not particularly likable and sensitive topics we were handled with very little sensitivity. If I heard the main character refer to herself as a freak one more time I may have lost it.
Olivia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*grabby hands* BOOK TWO PLEASE!
Brooke Carter
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dearest readers, I hope you enjoy Runa's journey as much as I loved writing it. Ratljóst.
Julia
Victoria Ritchie
Dec 09, 2019
Natalie
Dec 09, 2019

• Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1)
  • Reboot (Reboot, #1)
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • Between the Spark and the Burn (Between, #2)
  • Playing a Player (Sweet Cravings, #1)
  • Fake It 'Til You Break It
  • Banned Book Club
  • They Did Bad Things: A Thriller
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11
  • Five Day Fiancé (Brewer Brothers #3)
  • The Perfect Match
  • Stumptown, Vol. 4: The Case of a Cup of Joe
  • Blindsided
Brooke Carter is the author of several young adult novels, including the upcoming Icelandic fantasy THE STONE OF SORROW (RUNECASTER BOOK #1), which debuts on April 7, 2020 and is available for pre-order now.

Brooke is also the author of: ANOTHER MISERABLE LOVE SONG, LEARNING SEVENTEEN, LUCKY BREAK, and THE UNBROKEN HEARTS CLUB.