Start by marking “The Devil and the Dark Water” as Want to Read:
The Devil and the Dark Water

The Devil and the Dark Water

A murder on the high seas. A detective duo. A demon who may or may not exist.

It's 1634 and Samuel Pipps, the world's greatest detective, is being transported to Amsterdam to be executed for a crime he may, or may not, have committed. Travelling with him is his loyal bodyguard, Arent Hayes, who is determined to prove his friend innocent.

But no sooner are they out to sea tha
Published October 1st 2020 by Raven Books

To ask other readers questions about The Devil and the Dark Water, please sign up.
tobes I wish.
Apparently i need to add more words to post "I wish"…more
I wish.
Apparently i need to add more words to post "I wish"(less)
Isla There is only one incident. However, it is mentioned more than once, as it is part of the unfolding mystery. It is not overly graphic, and there are n…moreThere is only one incident. However, it is mentioned more than once, as it is part of the unfolding mystery. It is not overly graphic, and there are no gratuitous descriptions of animals suffering, but there are mentions of blood.
Hope that helps!(less)

Start your review of The Devil and the Dark Water
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
A murder on the high seas. A detective duo. A demon who may or may not exist.

(4.25?) After reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I couldn’t wait to read anything else by the author. I wasn’t disappointed!

I loved how once again, the murder-mystery was happening in a contained environment (the boat!) with lots of possible suspects. They all had interesting background and possible motives and the possibly of supernatural kept me guessing.

I do think that once again the ending was the weakes
Miranda Reads
Jul 23, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miranda by: Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
description
New week, new BookTube Video - all about the books sent to me in July and August!

After reading 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle...I am prepared to be just blown away by Turton's second book.

HUGE thank you to Cristina from Sourcebooks for sending this one my way!
megs_bookrack
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
1634: Our story begins with a mixed bag of passengers, and crew, preparing to board the ship, Saardam, on a voyage from Batavia to Amsterdam.

On the docks, a leper appears high atop a pile of crates and issues a warning that the voyage will end in merciless ruin.

He subsequently bursts into flames and dies a painful death. The observers, although chilled by his damning proclamation, shrug it off as the ramblings of a madman.

It's harder to ignore the devil's mark that suddenly appears on the sail
jessica
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ST has once again written a book that all mystery lovers will obsess over.

the main duo are very sherlock and watson, while the remaining ensemble of characters remind me very much of agatha christies stories. and all set on the high seas, where everything is at stake and there is nowhere to hide. its the perfect set-up.

this is a story full of adventure, mutiny, dark spirits, charming passengers, ruthless crewmates, and a fascinating mystery. i honestly couldnt have asked for a better time.

tha
Paromjit
Stuart Turton returns with a cracking piece of historical fiction, a spine chiller that drips with colour and atmosphere set in the 17th century. In 1634, the cursed and doomed East India merchant ship, the Saardam, carrying spices and other mysterious cargo, sets sail from Batavia (Jakarta, Indonesia) for Amsterdam, voyaging on the dangerous high seas, stalked by life threatening storms, plagued by fears, folklore and superstitions of the period. There appear to be the presence of devils in the ...more
♡ oscar ♡
"Arent Hayes was a zealot. His religion was Samuel Pipps."

My mind is fucking blown.

Just read it.

15 or so characters and one of them may or may not be the devil doing some horrific acts and whispering their greatest desires. Samuel 'Sammy' Pipps together with his trusted friend and assistant, Arent Hayes, and their new found allies aboard the ship must race against time to defeat this devil known as Old Tom. Stuart Turton's The Devil and the Dark Water is fast-paced and gripping nov
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ship ahoy! Prepare yourself to have a dangerous intercontinental trip to Europe and feel the vibes of Pirates of Caribbean meets Murder in the Orient Express vibes embellished with supernatural/paranormal elements.

Bring out your pop corns and refreshments because this is going to be unputdownable, addictive, action packed, dazzling, mysterious, twisty experiment and stock your adult diapers because during your read you want to cut your restroom breaks and be fully concentrated on the story, fl
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars. A very twisty, eerie mystery, set in the 1600s on a ship traveling from Batavia (now Jakarta, Indonesia) to Amsterdam. It’s not much at all like The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle except in the complexity of the plot. :)

Full review to come.

Update: CHEERS!! I just got approved for this on NetGalley.

description

Please sophomore novel don't let me down here. I thought this author's first book, The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, was flat-out amazing.
Carolyn
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins Canada for this gripping, historical/mystery story set on the high seas. The time is 1634 aboard a merchant ship, the Saardam, transporting spices and unknown cargo to Amsterdam from Batavia (Jakarta, Indonesia). This is a perilous 8-month journey and at best of times would be threatened by storms and pirates, and hostility within the crew. The journey has a claustrophobic atmosphere. It is an enthralling, complicated mystery with fascinating characters ...more
Elle
Oof I hate to do it, but after trying to read this book for a ~month~ now at this point, I’m gonna have to DNF @ 40%. Sorry guys! I’ve never seen a murder mystery go so long without an actual murder. I can’t believe this is the same author who wrote The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, but idk maybe his next one will be better? Too long, too boring and too little happening for me.

*Thanks to Sourcebook Landmark, BookExpo & Publishers Weekly for an advance copy!
Emma
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novelnotions
The Devil and the Dark Water is a Sherlockian masterpiece, darkly atmospheric and twisty as hell.

The past was filled with sharp things, he’d said. He couldn’t reach for a memory without drawing blood doing it.

The world’s greatest detective, Samuel Pipps, is being transported back to Amsterdam from Batavia (Indonesia), kept imprisoned in the dank depths of the ship for crimes unknown. His bodyguard, Arent Hayes, is determined to prove him innocent… if he can find out what his friend was guilty o
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
May 22, 2019 marked it as arcs-finished-copies-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tucker by: Miranda Reads

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Miriam Smith
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kept-book, ebook, twitter
As a reader of naval historical fiction (e.g. David Donachie), I got very excited by the premise of best selling author Stuart Turton’s latest publication, “The Devil and the Dark Water”.
Set in the 1600’s in Batavia (present day Jakarta, Indonesia) we are taken on a voyage on the merchant ship ‘Saardam’ an Indiaman laden with spices, under the charter of the East India Company across the high seas. Together with some fantastic naval scenes, intrigue, suspense and a hint of the supernatural, the
Kirsty Hendry
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an eArc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Arent Hayes is the bodyguard of Sammy Pipps, who is the greatest detective the world has ever seen. Sammy is arrested for a reason unknown to either himself or Arent, and is being transported to Amsterdam to stand trial.

Once aboard the ship, strange events start happening. A symbol from Arent's past is painted and carved on the ship, livestock are slaughtered, a leper is seen wandering the ship and t
NZLisaM
‘Whether this is a devil dressed as a man, or a man dressed as a devil, our course of action remains the same.’

If you're a fan of any, or all, of these authors and books – Ken Follet, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, The Shining, or Lord of the Flies, then The Devil and the Dark Water is going to be a sure-fire winner for you. Even if you're not, there is still plenty to enjoy.

The year is 1634. When passengers set sail on the Saardam (one in a fleet of seven Indiaman ships) at Batavia, for
ScrappyMags
You had me at “demon.”

Shortest Summary Ever: 1634. A Dutch sailing vessel where investigator Samuel Pipps is being held for a mysterious crime. His friend and “Watson” Arent Hayes is right by his side trying to determine first - how to free Sammy and then second - solve a mystery of demons and witch lore haunting the ship. Omens abound. Secrets in the passageways... and one by one the body count increases...

Thoughts: I’m a wee bit into the 1600s. The age of colonization and the effect on the wor
Chelsea Humphrey
My signature touch is not reading an author's debut novel and requesting arcs of their newest release.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
sarah xoxo
"Courage isn't an absence of fear. It's the light we find when fear is all there is."

I am disappointed.
In this book. In myself for not DNF'ing it. In the unfulfilled potential this story had. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The Devil and the Dark Water is Stuart Turton's sophomore novel set in 1634 almost entirely on a merchant ship 'saardam'. The world's greatest detective Samuel Pipps and his bodyguard Arent Hayes are being taken from Batavia (present day Indonesia) to Amsterdam. Pipps has
Jordy’s Book Club
QUICK TAKE: Turton's previous book, THE SEVEN AND A HALF DEATHS OF EVELYN HUGO, was one of my favorite books of 2018. The follow-up is also quite good, though not at the level of Hugo. Think Sherlock & Watson solving a mystery that may or may not involve the supernatural set against the backdrop of an East India trade ship in the 1600s. Except Holmes is locked up for most of the book and Watson is forced to do the detective work. A little long, but I liked the strong female characters and really ...more
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
Who to trust when so many have secrets?
🕵🏻‍♀️

I have been super excited to read this since being completely bowled over by Turton's debut and it deff didn't disappoint but also didn't quite live up to the high bar reading experience that was Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. There was just something about the memory loss, "body-switching" Cluedo type feel of that first book that really knocked it out of the park for me 🤷‍♀️
Trying to put those puzzle pieces together was such a trip 👍

I love a perio
Michelle
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Stuart Turton’s 7 ½ deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. So, I was so excited to receive a copy of The devil and the dark water. At first, I was a little bit disappointed because it is completely different to his previous novel. But Stuart Turton is a master storyteller and once I got into the story I was hooked.
It’s 1634 a fleet of ships from the East India dock company and the Saardam at the helm is travelling from Batavia to Amsterdam. Carrying the usual spices and a mysterious carg
Anna Luce
2 ½ stars

“That's the problem with summoning demons, you see. Sooner or later somebody else raises them against you.”

Readers who enjoyed Stuart Turton's previous novel will probably find The Devil and the Dark Water to be a far more captivating read than I did. While I personally was not enamoured by The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I was willing to give Turton another try.
The first quarter of The Devil and the Dark Water had me intrigued. The narrative opens in Batavia (Jakarta) in 1634.
Dana
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
The Devil And The Dark Water is darkly atmospheric and so so very twisty!

Set in the 1600's, setting sail from Batvia to Amsterdam - Samuel Pipps, the world's greatest detective is aboard the Saardam on his way to his execution for a crime he may or may not have committed. But his journey is anything but smooth sailing as questionable events begin to unfold. Strange symbols appear on the sails, livestock is slaughtered and a leper that many saw die before their eyes stalks the decks...

I loved t
Lou
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The formidable, award-winning Stuart Turton returns with his next mind-bending, genre-defying historical crime novel shot through with an abundance of mystery, intelligence, and an exquisitely crafted plot, all set against the richly-imagined seventeenth-century backdrop of the merchant ship Saardam. It's 1634 and the Saardam is about to depart Batavia in the Dutch East Indies, heading for Amsterdam, when a leper places a curse on both the boat itself and those aboard her and then swiftly combus ...more
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
3.5 stars, rounded up
Intricate and complex, this is a story set on the high seas in the 1600s. There's a demon named Old Tom who has been terrorizing people for years and he seems to have taken residence on the ship. It's up to the passengers and crew to figure out who Old Tom is inhabiting before he kills them all--or they kill each other.
When you distill the plot down to its core, this is a fantastic, layered story with themes of greed, revenge, and love in its many manifestations. The book d
Umut Rados
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounded up from 3.5 stars. I really loved Turton's first book, Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. It was unique, thrilling, had a high pace with a very gripping plot.
So, this was an auto-pick definitely.

I loved the premise of the book. The setting in a ship in the 1600s sailing from Australia to the Netherlands which is a long journey those days. Our characters are stuck in this ship, weird things start to happen from the beginning and they are trying to figure out what's going on. Is there an
Leslie - MamaNeedsABook
Follow me & see my reviews @ Mama Needs A Book

Pirates of the Caribbean meets Sherlock Holmes!

I love both of those, so this book was quite fun!  It was more Pirates than Sherlock, I'd say - lots of action and adventure and more of that time period, but the detective duo was very Sherlock.  This would make a terrific and adventurous movie!

A cursed ship. A mysterious warning. A hated, power-hungry nobleman and his prized possession. A detective duo - one of whom is a mercenary with a hidden past.
Sara
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Seriously that's kind of the best way to describe how I feel about this book. Its a very, very, very long kinda okay historical "thriller" with so very many characters and despite its taking place in the 1600's said characters frequently ask each other "are you okay" and all the women are very ahead of their time (one of my "favorite" things in historical fiction) and we've got the typical giant manly man who's a hardened mercenary but really gentle and kind and
Emma
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is more like it! I didn’t get on with the Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle- it might have been too clever for me, or maybe I just wasn’t in the mood- but this story was way more up my street. I love historical fiction and this was a clever mystery, playing on the dark superstitions of the age. I wondered at some of the choices the author made as the story progressed but all became clear as the book neared its conclusion. This would make the beginnings of a series I’d love to read.
I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS. I need this book in my hands NOW.

Update: Wow, we have a synposis. I'M SO EXCITED!!
Opening Round
1,179,907 Votes Cast

• Recursion
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • The Gifted School
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Time Machine
  • The Wednesday Wars
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • Passenger (Passenger, #1)
  • ハイキュー!! 1 日向と影山 [Haikyū!! 1 Hinata to Kageyama]
  • A Diary of a Private School Kid
  • The Ice Twins
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
  • The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway, #10)
  • Summer of '69
Stuart lives in London with his amazing wife and daughter. He drinks lots of tea.

What else?

​When he left university he went travelling for three months and stayed away for five years. Every time his parents asked when he’d be back he told them next week, and meant it.

Stuart is not to be trusted. In the nicest possible way.

He’s got a degree in English and Philosophy, which makes him excellent at a

Articles featuring this book