Start by marking “Elephants in My Room” as Want to Read:
Elephants in My Room

Elephants in My Room

From unknown comedian Christie Nicholls comes a sidesplitting, spirited and whip-smart collection of laugh-out-loud (when you’re not crying) autobiographic essays. In Elephants In My Room, Nicholls mines her past for honest if not humiliating stories of her formative years, her family, jobs and romantic relationships that are at once extraordinary and absurd. Whether she’s ...more
Published November 22nd 2019 by Christie Nicholls

To ask other readers questions about Elephants in My Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephants in My Room

Start your review of Elephants in My Room
Skip
Christie Nicholls is pretty funny … sometimes. Her book is split into four sections: her travels abroad (mostly as a child as her father was an oceanographer), jobs, family events, and boyfriends. The first section was strongest and the last was weakest. The summer is Brazil with das hund (German Shepherd) was very funny as was her stand-up routine is Sweden, where she introduced her mother in Swedish and told audience her mother was horny. I liked the value of anything at Marshalls was the diff ...more
Gina
I won this Kindle book in a Goodreads giveaway and I thank the author and the publishing company.

This book is a delight to read. It runs the gamut of very, very funny, to tragic situations in the life of the author, s stand-up comedian, actor and writer who also holds a doctorate in Performance Studies from UCLA.

The book is a series of little peeks into her life, from when she was quite young to the present day (where she remains quite young by the way). In the early stories, the one thing I rea
Michael Fitzpatrick
Loved it! The book has a terrific sense of place so the reader really feels like you are on the author's shoulder. I got a real sense of warmth and joy from the chapter, as if I were walking in the author's shoes and experiencing the same adventures.
Brandon Keller
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know those people who have the ability to make everyone feel like they’re their best friend? Even if you just see them for a second you leave feeling happier and lighter? Elephants in my Room feels like the book version of that person, if that makes sense. I think it’s because there’s no hint of phoniness. Every story, whether it’s about telemarketing or a historic fart, feels so vulnerable and genuine. I really don’t think you can read this and not fall in love with Christie. You’ll feel li ...more
Leland Zaitz
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a memoir by a young woman who has somehow packed a dozen lifetimes into her so-far brief years. It’s a work of some kind of twisted genius, skipping back and forth through the years to land, finally on the heart of things: Why we are who we are. “Elephants” begins like a shot out from an elephant gun, detailing a childhood that begins the jungles of Brazil with Nicholl’s family of admittedly “brilliant assholes” including a hard-drinking oceanographer father, a wry and put-upon mother, b ...more
Christy Carr
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, honest, and self-deprecating, "Elephants in My Room" is a wonderful read for literary buffs looking for something different, authentic and unflinchingly honest. From spectacularly failing to prey on the naivete of the elderly when pursuing telemarketing in a sexually hostile workplace, to spaghetti rocket launchers and consistently incorrect expediting when waitressing, to finding dignity in dog walking, Christie's honest portrayals of the entry-level jobs we all have known and love to ha ...more
Goth Gone Grey
Sporadic, manic, vulgar...

...so, essentially, like life. The tales range from hyper childhood antecdotes to caring for an ailing loved one and all points in between. It's rambling at times, introspective at other times, and entirely heartfelt throughout. Honest? Yes, sometimes too much with wry humor and a deep sense of the absurd.

I'll admit that for the first chapter or two I wondered what I was getting into, a trial by fire that I survived to get to other, more heartfelt chapters.

An example
Christopher Selvaggi
This was a phenomenal book. The author has an exceptional memory. Her ability to recall every detail of her conversations, interactions and experiences going all the way back to early childhood, must be something very few people are able to do. It makes the reader start to think back to events of times past, even long ago, to try to remember memories even more clearly than currently remembered.

Christie Nicholls background as a stand-up comic lends to her unique ability to be totally at ease wit
Barbara
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Funny. Laugh out loud funny. I stayed up late to finish this book then read this book in bed and woke up my husband laughing out loud. I fell in love with Ferdinand. I laughed until I had tears in my eyes reading about the English wedding. I did not know you can be locked into an English pun and drink all night. My wanderings in England were so staid. Driving in Iceland? I was breathless from laughing. Visiting grandparents in Florida? Boy, could I relate. I did that too and now I can laugh abou ...more
AMS
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elephants in My Room is a refreshing, light read that sneaks up on you as a testament to Love, Truth and Family. Yes, Christie Nicholls is funny - a stand-up comedian, actor and writer with a PhD in Performance Studies. But what I especially liked is that her humor, combined with her compassion and strength, provides an undertow when you least expect it. When she is boisterously, comically “on a roll” and I’m thinking, “Go girl!” she then pivots, and shows me something about tenderness, even gra ...more
Josh
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to begin a review with the word "eschewing," and I think this is finally my moment. Eschewing all the stuffy trappings of a typical memoir, Christie Nicholls delves into her globetrotting life story with grace, nostalgia and a comedian's perspective that all life experiences -- even the dark ones -- are brimming with comedy. There's a level of detail in Nicholls' recollection of her youth that's impressive; in addition to her skills as a comic and writer, it is possible she al ...more
Jenna
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is such a great light summer read. Christie Nicholls is hilariously open about her eccentric family and crazy moments of her life. It feels like you are on the adventures with her and some of the stories from childhood are like a time warp for the reader.

While the overarching book is funny, Christie does touch on some sad but very real subjects. Reading her describe her grandmother's illness took me back to my own grandmother also suffering. She somehow finds a way to take subjects tha
Lindsey York
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prepare for flight! This book is an amazing trip down a very honest and entertaining memory lane from one of my favorite comedians. Christie has a talent for evoking my favorite emotional combination; through laughter and tears we journey through her childhood with a host of amazing characters and experiences. You truly feel like your right there with her experiencing everything, and by the end of the book you wish you could have been there really, because what fun it must have been. I am also s ...more
Cathy Decker
I laughed, I cried, and most of all I wished I was along for Christie's childhood and young adult journey with her family. She has a talent for sharing her wonderful memories, sprinkling almost every single one with humor, and still finding a way to share the pain she felt at times, taking it all in stride. She is a lucky woman to have the relationship she has with her Dad, Mom, and Beluga, not to mention the pets she loved along the way. The only thing I wish for more than to read her next book ...more
Traci Stumpf
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like everywhere I turn someone is telling me that I "have to watch a new hilarious show" or "listen to a new comedy podcast". If we're being honest the majority of it all is a bland and diluted form of comedy. A friend recommended "Elephants in My Room" and I will say that I was hesitant at first, what with all the over saturation of content, but I'm so glad I took her advice and read this book! It was raw, honest, and laugh out loud funny. A true breath of fresh air, I'm obsessed! So muc ...more
Rich Decker
Elephants In My Room was a fascinating read, and I am already looking forward to Christie Nicholls' next book. Her childhood was full of adventures that most kids can only dream about, and in addition to the hilarious moments she shares, she also has the confidence to openly explain and characterize deep family relationships, which most of us can relate to on some level. Christie is one funny and talented woman, and without a doubt we will hear much more about her storied career.

Rich Decker
Kerry Murtagh Ramsay
A very, VERY generous three

I hesitate to review this one (although obviously I am) because these are personal essays. The book is billed as laugh-out-loud funny and, truth be told, I did laugh a couple of times in the last chapter before it veered into Life Lesson Land. I wouldn’t read it again and I wouldn’t read anything else she wrote. I’d’ve been more interested to read about her relationship with her brother.

And, to the editor: just between you and me, cars don’t “shutter.” They may “shudd
Greg Br
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Nicholls has a way with words and tale telling that is captivating. It’s a hilarious relook at stories from her past that will really make you laugh (a lot) and maybe cry. Nicholls has a truly unique past that is recounted in a visceral while satirical way. Her ability to recall vivid details about her childhood through adulthood makes this especially hilarious and graphic. It’s a really great read that will fly by and leave you (like me) excited for the follow up. Highly recommend!!!
Michelle Solberg Ford
I read this while staying with family members over a long weekend, and my mom kept asking what I was laughing about! Christie Nicholls has an amazing knack for finding humor and absurdity in the seemingly ordinary, and spinning a beautiful story from it. The book is deeply personal, and each chapter adds nuance, hilarity, and heartbreak at once. A great read, and highly recommended. I hope there will be more to come.
Tahira
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read NOW!

Such a fun read!!! This is a wonderfully honest and extremely funny collection of short stories. Christie really lets us into her world and makes stories, that some people might find embarrassing, tremendously enjoyable and relatable. If you don't have a copy PLEAS GET ONE!!! GO...GET ONE NOW!
Krisa Engel
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christie writes with such pure emotion that the reader is drawn into the experience. This book will make you laugh and cry! It allows the reader to go on a journey through her life and relate to the stories and what they taught her on a larger scale. I couldn't put it down! This is MUST read for all!
Michelle
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicholls is an incredible story teller! Her vivid detail and entertaining experiences come alive in this memoir. You will laugh out loud, hold back tears and contemplate life's lessons as you relive Christie's adventures with her. Her story captures your heart and you won't want to put her book down. A beautifully written account of an incredible woman's life.
Melissa Mehl
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! Christie's ability to bring you into her world (long term, not short term) is incredible. From the very beginning, Christie's humorous story telling transports you into her travels and life experiences. From the silly antics, to the more emotional tales, you go from laughter to tears, and feel like you're part of her family. I can't wait for the next book!
Sarah Louise Taylor
I loved this book. The author’s ability to create a unique and vivid world took me all over on her adventures. Including doing stand up in Sweden! I particularly enjoyed her story about her grandfather. The author mixes humor and pathos expertly and keeps the stories going at a crisp pace. There is a lot of humor, but also a lot of heart. I’d love to read more from her.
Ryan C
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great on so many levels. Everytime I open it up it makes me smile. There are so many great nuggets of wisdom and humor. Christie has lived such an interesting life, to be able to share these experiences with her and her family is an amazing trip through the rabbit hole. Well done Christie!

How did I get here and why am I wearing a visor?
Amanda
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you #Netgalley for the copy!

Such a fun read via short essays. Loved how the book was broken up into categories. The book covers serious topics as well as funny experiences at just the right balance. This books makes me want to hangout with her and just listen to her stories over a glass of wine.
Chanda Spaulding
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through a goodreads kindle giveaway. I really enjoyed the book and found it hard to put down. The author has a great sense of humor and often laughed at herself. I also liked that the book wasn’t about her whole life. Instead she picked events that were meaningful, important, or just funny to write about. I enjoyed it and was sad there wasn’t more when I finished it!
Jillian
May 07, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got this book in a giveaway. I’m glad I didn’t pay for it. I don’t know if it’s because I started reading this after I finished Anna Karenina but this book isn’t entertaining. I don’t find it funny. I really liked the first chapter/story, but after that I just thought each story was forgettable. DNF @ 59%.
Pamela
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read-again
I absolutely LOVED this book! Funny and heart-warming, it was what I call a "fun read"...the decriptions of family members, and the relationships with her mother were particularly touching. I would read this again, just for the sheer enjoyment and some hearty laughter! Christie's honesty and lack of concern for what others' thought made this a great book.
Jeremy Beth
This is such a fun read. I had no idea what to expect but found myself laughing my ass off! Between her family dynamics and accompanied pictures, I felt like I was the invisible family member they didn't know they had that was along for this incredibly funny, at times emotional ride. I loved it.

• Themes and Variations
  • Just the Funny Parts: ... And a Few Hard Truths About Sneaking Into the Hollywood Boys' Club
  • My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1)
  • Life of Pi
  • I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
  • The Hobbit, Part One
  • In the Dark, Soft Earth
  • The Poetry of Good Eats
  • Run Girl Run (Harry Hunter Mystery, #2)
  • All the Good Girls (Harry Hunter Mystery, #1)
  • St. Anthony's Fire
  • The Lies That Bind
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • Time of Justice (Mara Brent Legal Thriller #1)
  • Stories We Never Told
  • Wow, No Thank You.
  • Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
Christie Nicholls is a Los Angeles based SAW (stand-up comedian, actor, and writer). After earning a PhD in Performance Studies at UCLA, Christie finally admitted that she wanted to perform herself. Whether in front of a camera, or a live audience, Christie will embody any role, from traditional leading lady, to Jane Fonda, to Richard Nixon, to her original characters, to your Mom (no really, she’ ...more