Start by marking “Road to The Breaking (Road to the Breaking, #1)” as Want to Read:
Road to The Breaking (Road to the Breaking, #1)

Road to The Breaking (Road to the Breaking, #1)

Nothing survived ‘The Breaking’ unchanged; lives and fortunes, love and hate, freedom and slavery …
It’s early 1860, and war hero Captain Nathaniel Chambers, commander U.S. Army Fort Davis in the west Texas wilderness, has received shocking news – his father is dead. He must return home to Virginia and claim his inheritance before a maniacal neighbor can murder his widowed
Published October 15th 2019 by CPB Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Road to The Breaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road to The Breaking

Start your review of Road to The Breaking (Road to the Breaking, #1)
Jessica Belmont
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I’ve developed a love for historical fiction over the last year or so. Road to Breaking by Chris Bennett is an excellent example of why. Honestly, this story is exceptional and deserves five stars.

This is book one, so I’m excited to see what happens next. I loved the writing. I was drawn in easily. This is set in Pre-Civil War times, and was really an interesting read.

This story is told by bouncing around to different time points. It sounds like it could be confusing, but it’s actually easy to f
Pearl
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the best historical fiction books I have read so far. So much depth in this book! Road to The Breaking written by Chris Bennett has that kind of plot that is so unique from the historical fiction novels I have read before. I particularly loved and admired the main hero Captain Nathaniel Chambers. The challenge he had to go through to decide which fate to take was truly notable.

I can say that the writing was spectacular. I connected well to the story as well as the characters.
Rachel Kester
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Author Chris Bennett takes readers to 1860 where they meet Nathaniel Chambers, a captain in the U.S. Army. While serving in Texas, he receives word that his father has suddenly died. He must then take the long journey home to Virginia to claim the inheritance before someone else does.

However, along the way, Chambers starts to have doubts. Should he stay in the army or should he help his family, but end up doing things he despises. You’ll be taken through a tumultuous self-growth journey as Chamb
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by the synopsis, and wasn't really sure how Bennett was going to pull off everything promised. But what a read! I felt myself transported back to 1860, and this isn't a happy ending, light conflict type of novel. There's some real grit mixed into a captivating story, You'll get everything in the blurb and more once you dive in. If you like stories that are full of drama, tension, and a bit of action, you're going to love this historical family saga. ...more
Guy Wheatley
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting twist on the “soldier returning home” trope. Those usually follow a Civil War vet coming home. This one takes place a few years before the Civil War. This is obviously the first in a series and none of the major plot devices find resolution in this book. You’ll have to buy other books if you want an ending.
A man born to a wealthy slave owning family is at odds with his father to the point that he is sent to a boarding school. He never returns, eventually attending West Poi
Kristi Duarte
Feb 01, 2021
Clair R
Feb 28, 2021
Chris Bennett
Feb 24, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Amy Collins
marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2021

• Redlined: A novel of Boston
  • Centricity (Centricity Cycle: Book 1)
  • HUMANS, GODS, AND HYBRIDS: CHILD 19
  • Impeachment: A Novel
  • The Ryder Code (The Jack Ryder Mysteries #3)
  • Face of the Assassin: A deceptive appearance is killer's best weapon (David Diegert, #4)
  • Unlocking the Natural-Born Leader’S Abilities: An Autobiographical Exposé
  • THE GIRL FROM COLOMBIA
  • Moraturi Ring: Paradisi Chronicles (Lost Mission Series #3)
  • Let's Go Walking in the Storm: A Collection of Poetry and Reflections for Soul and Spirit
  • Hollywood Entrepreneur: Behind Practiced Smiles
  • Constable Khang's Mysteries of Old Shanghai: Book II: Constable Khang and the Black Angel!
  • Unleash Your Inner Goddess: Start Living the Life You Deserve
  • Banking The Cloud: The Comprehensive History Of Cloud Banking And Those Who Started It
  • The Cyber-Elephant In The Boardroom: Cyber-Accountability With The Five Pillars Of Security Framework
  • Operation Ugly Truth: A Nurse's Firsthand account of the NYC Pandemic 2020
  • The Warm Lands
  • Chasing the Prophet
Chris A. Bennett grew up on the shores of Klamath Lake in southeastern Oregon. For a young boy it was a dream world of water, hills, forests, and abundant wildlife. His love for action and adventure morphed into a lifelong love for books when his Mom read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to the family on a long road trip.

It was routine and normal for the family dinner table discussions to invo

News & Interviews