Start by marking “Always the Last to Know” as Want to Read:
Always the Last to Know

Always the Last to Know

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  8,109 ratings  ·  1,037 reviews
Sometimes you have to break a family to fix it.

From New York Times bestselling author Kristan Higgins, a new novel examining a family at the breaking point in all its messy, difficult, wonderful complexity.

The Frosts are a typical American family. Barb and John, married almost fifty years, are testy and bored with each other...who c
Published June 9th 2020 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Always the Last to Know, please sign up.
Kirsten It sounds like you're overly sensitive about the subject and should probably read a book about transgender issues. …moreIt sounds like you're overly sensitive about the subject and should probably read a book about transgender issues. (less)

·  8,109 ratings  ·  1,037 reviews

Start your review of Always the Last to Know
Melissa
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love isn’t always the thing that fills up the room, or your heart. Sometimes, it’s what sneaks into the in between spaces.

Heartfelt and sincere, Always the Last to Know conveys the message that unmitigated joy often comes with self-acceptance. Or finding the guts to crumple up the blueprints of what life should look like, in favor of an unexpected and more rewarding path. And that, right there, is why Kristan Higgins continues to reign as one of my favorite authors. Her characters and humor
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this heart melting, tear jerker, emotional, riveting and realistic family story! You can find a part of yourself written in this story. The dynamics between mothers and daughter, daughter with father are so familiar.

So far I think this is one of my favorite Kristan Higging’s books tells about life, happiness, dreams, realities, betrayal, lies, thin red line between life and death, childhood sweethearts, resentments, infertility, lack of communication.

The story is told by POVS of four di
Meredith
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
A Bumpy Ride that Caught Me Off Guard!

“The heart wants what the heart wants, and the heart can be a real idiot.”

Always the Last to Know is a family drama about a family struggling in the wake of a tragedy.

The Frost women, Barb (the mother), Juliet (perfect first daughter), and Sadie (youngest daughter and black sheep), are forced to come together when John Frost (husband to Barb and father to Juliet and Sadie) has a stroke.

Told through the alternating POV’s of Barb, Juliet, Sadie, an
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Be sure to visit Bantering Books to read all my latest reviews.

Families are complicated. And messy. And secretive. And frustrating. Aren’t they?

Take, for example, the members of the Frost family, the protagonists of Always the Last to Know, Kristan Higgins’ latest novel.

John and Barb, married nearly 50 years, have grown apart over time and no longer seem to like each other very much. They are barely more than strangers, living in the same house, with the shared love they have for their two daug
Kaceey
My favorite read of the year. I never wanted it to end, savoring each and every word.❤️

Sometimes a book has the ability to touch your heart in ways you never expected. And oh so rarely, provides a human, relatable connection with every character put in front of you. This was that book for me. I found a part of myself within Sadie, Juliet and even Barb. As each women shared their story.

Unforgettable. This book was both poignant and whimsical. I was moved to tears, yet smiling and laughing throug
JanB
Complicated family dynamics are at the heart of this novel. Barb and John are one day shy of their 50th anniversary when John’s severe stroke throws the family out of kilter (not a spoiler, it happens in the first pages). Their marriage has long gone stale and after the stroke a devastating long-held secret is revealed.

Barb and John have two children and looking into the past brings understanding to the present. Juliet was the long-hoped for baby after years of infertility. Barb throws herself 1
Susanne  Strong
A Complicated Family Drama that Hits Home!

Families dynamics sure can get a little messy sometimes, just ask Barb Frost! On the day of her 50th Wedding Anniversary, when Barb is contemplating making a change, her husband John has a stroke. To make matters worse, on that same day, Barb discovers that John is not who she thought he was. Barb however has to keep up appearances for their daughters: Juliet, one of best friends and her shining star, and Sadie, her difficult, free spirited youngest d
Miranda Reads
Aug 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
description

The latest episode of Some Good Book News is up - and it features some good news from Kristan Higgins!!

I'm so happy to be a part of her book journey!
Sheyla ✎

Wow, another Women’s Fiction winner for Kristan Higgins!

I wait every year for Kristan Higgins's new book. I even delay reading them because I want to savor the moment and that way, it is less time for me to wait for her next release.

It’s always a real pleasure immersing in her stories. There is always something that clicks with me.

Always the Last to Know, wasn't an exception. It made me laugh and it made me cry.

Once I read the first few pages, I knew the next few hours would be centered aro
Berit☀️✨
This book was EVERYTHING! Do you have a favorite author that you feel just gets you? That is Kristan Higgins for me. She writes engaging stories about families with messy lives packed with relatable authentic characters. This is the story of the Frost family: mother Barb, father John, daughters Juliet and Sadie. Barb and John have been married for years and Barb is just about done, that is until John has a stroke. Juliet is the perfect put together daughter with the doting husband and adorable c ...more
Deanna
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, my-favorites, arcs
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Another terrific novel from Kristan Higgins!

Seventy-year-old, Barb Frost is at work when she gets a call that her husband, John has been rushed to the hospital. Barb has always been good in emergencies, but she can't believe this is happening. Barb and John have been married for 50 years. Their relationship has had its up and downs. Recently it’s become even more challenging.

The doctors tell Barb that John will need surgery
Holly
I've only read one other book by this author (If You Only Knew), but I think I am now going to have to go through and check out all her other books. I mean, these kinds of books aren't normally my kind of thing - books that focus on modern day women, their families, and their (clean!) romantic relationships. But somehow this author makes me enjoy it. The characters are fully formed and realistically imperfect. The plots are simple, but entertaining. And with everything going on (damn pandemic), ...more
Katie B
This is the fourth book I have read and enjoyed by this author. To be honest, I don't think Kristan Higgins gets nearly the amount of attention she deserves among women's fiction writers. I like picking up her books when I am feeling stressed out as her characters and stories have a calming effect. With everything going on in the world, I have placed a high value on pleasant reading experiences, and I am thankful this book was able to deliver.

Barb and John Frost have been married for almost 50 y
Tina
This is a chick lit. In this book a family is leave to take care of (the husband/father), and during this time secrets comes out. I found the first 100 pages slow moving and a lot boring, but after 100 pages it starts moving fast and so much drama. I ended up really liking this book. There is a ton of family drama in this book which makes you want to keep reading, but I would not call this a romance. I won a kindle edition of this book from goodreads, but this review is 100% my opinion. (*)
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Wow, this book. It really got under my skin! And it wasn’t just the preferred child theme you’ll read about. It’s the complexity in the characters’ emotions and truly getting inside their innermost feelings.

Always the Last to Know has to be one of the most poignant family dramas I’ve read. It starts with a bang. John and Barb have been married over fifty years when John has an accident requiring brain surgery and an uncertain outcome.

You should know that Barb and John’s marriage is in a precar
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
Yikes, this book hit pretty close to home as my husband and I are close to celebrating our fiftieth wedding anniversary. Are we testy and bored with one another I wonder as the blurb suggests? While Barb and John have two daughters, we have four and wonder is our relationship with them and they with one another enough for us all? Well, this book indeed had me thinking and looking for our telling signs.

The Frosts, Barb and John, have an "I live with you, but really could do without you being arou
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Oh Kristan Higgins . . . . .

I am super late to this party, but I’ve been making up for lost time and this is the fourth novel I’ve read by this author and every single one of them have been winners for me.

The story here is a “maybe you can go home again” sort where daughter Sadie returns to her hometown after her father suffers a severe stroke. The narration is presented by three different women – the aforementioned Sadie, her si
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm a huge Kristan Higgins fan, and so I jumped at the chance to read Always the Last to Know. Though I've enjoyed other recent books from her more, I found Always the Last to Know extremely hard to put down.

What Kristan Higgins always does so well is make multi-faceted characters who are not simply likable/unlikable. I had mixed emotions about each character, and I found that the author treated each one with empathy and realism. I was riveted by the story, honestly, and found that it got better
Jonetta
Barb and John Frost raised two daughters in Stonington, Connecticut. Juliet, the oldest, is a successful and well-regarded architect in a prestigious firm. Sadie is an art teacher at a Catholic school in New York City and a struggling artist trying to launch her career. Barb & John’s marriage isn’t on the strongest foundation, in fact she’s considering divorce. And, it’s not even a conversation she’s had with John. Before she can do so, she gets a call that he’s in the hospital undergoing brain ...more
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I loved Good Luck With That. I have read several other of Higgins books and none have compared to Good Luck With That. Always the last to know seemed to drag on it was slow going. I had to push through to the end to find out about Noah and Sadie.
I gave this book 3 stars.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Barb and John Frost have been married for fifty years and live in a small Connecticut town. During their marriage, they raised two daughters, Juliet and Sadie, who are now adults. Barb has been contemplating divorce for some years now and is going to move forward with her plans. Their marriage has been stale for many years while she kept herself busy as the town selectman. Her plans are put on hold when John suffers a massive stroke.

Their youngest daughter, Sadie, is single and teaches art in N
Kathryn in FL
GLORIOUS WRITING OF CHARACTER DRIVEN STORY.

Kristan Higgins has delivered another noteworthy performance in this intricately woven tale of the hidden dynamics of an average American family of four. Two adult daughters and a somewhat disillusioned mother are suddenly faced with a life threatening event affecting their father/husband. Life as they know has now been turned upside down and sideways. Secrets are suddenly surfacing impacting each daughter, who is also facing her own career and personal
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I love Higgins books, they are always so relatable, fun, humorous and full of all the feels. It's with little trepidation that I pick one up, even ones that seem different from her happily ever after norms.
Which is why I didn't even hesitate to pick this up and give it a go and while I did like it, I sadly didn't connect with it in my usual way.

Was it the characters that were a little harder to love than usual? Was it the different POVs? I'm honestly not sure because why I could relate on some l
DeAnn
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-2020, 2020
**This one is now available!

4 Messy Family Stars

Kristan Higgins is an author that I have long wanted to read. I finally had the chance with this one and I found it to be a compelling family drama with characters that were messy, complicated, and very realistic.

The Frost family, headed up by John and Barb, married 50 years, but they have grown very distant to each other. The two daughters are a tale of opposites – Juliet is a talented architect who has moved back to their hometown and is a rising
Elizabeth
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Always the Last to Know is another outstanding women's fiction title from Kristan Higgins. As usual, all the characters are richly drawn, especially the women, though I thought John's sections were amazing too, and you can't help but find someone to root for and someone's story that you identify with. (Yes, Noah is too perfect but--well, that's one of Higgins's many strengths, writing unbelievably great male leads and I fall for them every time, whereas with other authors it doesn't work for me. ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I really enjoy Kristan Higgins books.

I liked the 4 different POVs in this one, but Sadie was the shining star out of the group. I would happily have read a book just completely from her perspective. I know that Barb is the wronged woman here, but she was a very unsympathetic character. I didn't particularly care for her.

And while I didn't quite love this book as much as others, I still really enjoyed it. 4 solid stars.
Mo
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up quite enjoying this one even though the subject matter was a bit depressing throughout... then again, that is her portrayal of real life and family dynamics, I guess. There is no such thing as the perfect family ... well, if there is, it sure ain't mine. We bicker, we gossip, some members leave the toilet seat up (it doesn't help that I am outnumbered - even the dog is male)!! But at the end of the day, we do get on well together and love each other.

John and Barb have been married for
4.5/5 stars

Always the Last to Know is a family drama that I would classify as Women's Fiction.

I love Kristan Higgins so much. This book was one of my most anticipated reads of 2020. I was so beyond excited to read this book that I decided to read it over my birthday weekend.

It is the story of a family's struggles when something happens to the patriarch of the family.

The main narrators are Barb, Sadie and Juliet (a mother and two daughters).

Sadie (30+) and Barb are 1st person POVs, while Juliet (
♥Sharon♥
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it

I have always been a fan of Kristan Higgins so I was looking forward to reading Always the Last to Know with the hope that I would love it. I did. Sort of. I loved the last 30% but the first 70% just made me sad. This family was broken. I hated to think of them as typical but I guess some may think they were.

I really didn’t like Barb in the beginning. She just wasn’t a happy person. She hadn’t been for a long time and her unhappiness was felt by everyone.

I struggled to keep up with Juliet. Liter
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
This book certainly grew on me during the last quarter of the story. Complex feelings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So many mixed feeling here! I don’t think I have felt as much anger before while reading a book. I was expecting something completely different and I have to say that I honestly did not care for any of the characters.

Every one of them had flaws. But don’t we all? The good news is the author completely changed my mind the further into the book I got.

It wasn’t until about the last quarter

• The Wives
  • The Trouble with Hating You (The Trouble with Hating You, #1)
  • Girl, Unframed
  • The Knockout Queen
  • The Shadows
  • Master Class
See top shelves…
Kristan Higgins is the New York Times, USA TODAY, Wall Street Journal and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of 19 novels, which have been translated into more than two dozen languages and sold millions of copies worldwide. Her books have received dozens of awards and accolades, including starred reviews from Kirkus, The New York Journal of Books, Publishers Weekly, Library Journal , People and ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Love didn’t have to be romantic to encircle you in its arms. It didn’t have to make your heart race or your toes curl. Love could be just this, the sound of laughter on a warm night, the absolute comfort of being exactly who you were with the person who knew you inside and out.” 2 likes
“Love isn’t always the thing that fills up the room, or your heart. Sometimes, it’s what sneaks into the in-between spaces.” 2 likes