Start by marking “The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood” as Want to Read:
The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood

The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
From the author of the bestselling The Modern Girl's Guide to Life comes a must-have book for the young mom, including best-kept secrets, practical advice, and multiple solutions for problems from birth to age four

Just when you thought you could cook (hey, one meal counts), clean (if the queen was coming), and seduce a man (well, long enough to get married), life throws yo
Published April 11th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood

maila
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
not bad.
tapi kalau dibaca di zaman sekarang kayaknya definisi modern-nya sudah banyak terganti. tapi lumayanlah, banyak tips yang sangat membantu (untuk suatu hari nanti)
Katerina
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-baby
Прекрасная книга. Но только если ее использовать именно как пособие "для современной мамочки" и перед этим прочитать парочку серьезных книг, где рассматриваются те же самые вопросы, что и затронуты в этой книге, но только с более серьезной стороны.
Здесь же вы найдете советы о том, чтобы не забыть свою косметичку, когда будете собираться в роддом... или как выкроить время, чтобы мыться каждый день в течение первых недель жизни вашего малыша... и так далее.
Многие советы современны и весьма интерес
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I don't think I could have made it through the first 12 months post partum without this essential guide to all things MOMMY! I highly recommend this book to any new mommy-to-be who is a "modern girl" and needs a quick and to the point snick of advice on every element of motherhood. From the first days home, to gear reviews and suggestions on how to handle teething...this is a handy guide! Must Read!
Tracy Clementi
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have a number of motherhood/pregnancy books, and this is by far my favorite. She doesn't position herself as an expert, just someone who's been there and is willing to let you learn from her mistakes. I appreciated the honest reviews of certain products and her no-nonsense, non-judgmental approach.
Gretchen
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is a must read for all new mothers. It is CHOCK full of helpful hints, info, ideas, recommendations for what to do in situations that a new mother has NO idea about. It was a witty & fun look at motherhood. I appreciate Buckingham's sense of humor!
Tera
Jan 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the only parenting book I could find that contains some of the squicky details of childbirth and the immediate aftermath. It also has helpful info for dealing with extended family during that time.
Shannon
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the practical, quick-and-dirty approach this author took on the subject of motherhood as a first timer. It was easy to use as a reference. I thought it was a good mix of instruction and humor. I would recommend this book to new moms who would like a quick reference guide for common issues.
Kadi
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mina, kes ma lastest tuhkagi ei tea, sain sellest raamatust palju uut ja kasulikku informatsiooni. Teisalt on see suunatud eelkõige ameeriklastele (saada lapsehoidja toidupoodi jms) ning teatud lõike lugedes tahtis minu sisemine feminist karjuda (umbes nii, et kui sa muud ei jaksa, siis kasuta vähemalt huuleläiget. Noh, et mehel sind kergem vaadata oleks).
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This guide typifies my feelings on most pregnancy/baby guides: too much "Do this" "Don't you dare do that" and not enough discussion of why or admittance that there are a lot of "right" ways to do this parenting thing. On the whole her advice is good, but too many times I found myself rolling my eyes at some of her guidelines. In one she says you should introduce your kids to eating out from infancy so they'll quickly learn how to behave and then on the next page she says you shouldn't take your ...more
Rachel
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a good reference book for motherhood. It's entertaining to read, too, so it's not like you're wading through a bunch of boring stuff trying to get info. While most things were helpful, I would say she's a "higher maintainance" mom that I am. I'm thinking of things like when she listed the bare minimum you'd need for a baby, or things like that. But, as long as you don't take her word as gospel, that's easily overlooked.
Heather
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This would be a really great reference book for any new mommy. As it is, it's a pretty good refresher book for me. It covers pretty much everything for ages birth to three years. There is a good deal of wit and humor in the writing, and there are suggestions from the author for additional research.
Alicia Whitehead
Jan 30, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: marli7399@yahoo.com
Recommended to Alicia by: No one...see my review
When that day finally comes...I will have to have this book! I have read the Modern Girls Guide to Life...and it covers EVERYTHING...so I am sure that this book will cover EVERYTHING about having my first child...when that day finally comes...
Nat Hansuvadha
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: white metro expectant mothers
This book is a comical resource that serves as a supplemental text for expectant mothers who are white and metropolitan. I appreciated the candor of the author and the suggestions for baby products, but the book is very slanted towards urban families with money.
Gwendoline Van
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Part informative, part fluff, The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood was a fast generalist read about pregnancy, birthing, baby life, and toddlerhood.

Not something I'd purchase for the shelves or feel the need to constantly reference, but a "why not?" thumb-through type of manual.
Feliz
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: first time moms
I actually really liked her take on this - she even said "you aren't a bad mom if your baby falls out of bed," which the peditrician later said happens to most parents! It is a great read - especially for first time moms who have no idea what to expect!
Meaghan
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as much as The Modern Girl's Guide to Life, but it was still enjoyable and had some nice tips. I got it from the library and might check it out again as my baby gets older, especially to read up about baby food and games for older babies.
Lisa
Dec 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
(Best Parenting Books - the Bump.com) (Non-Fiction Motherhood-Guidebook) If you liked "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy", then you will like this book. It's a similar, informal tone but this book covers pregnancy, labor, and motherhood and Buckingham's writing is also research-based.
Selia
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Прекрасна книга. Много добре обяснен всеки етап от раждането до детето в детската градина. Съветите и са напълно съвременни и напълно отговарящи на това което се препоръчва от педиатрите. Сигурна съм че още много пъти ще я препрочитам търсейки отговори докато израства и моето дете.
Liz Zmoos
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fun book about becoming a mom. It has shopping guides and the authors personal stories! It has totally helped me shop and made me feel like less of a freak and laugh at the weird things that happen to you as you are pregnant.
Ellen
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! It's so honest & helpful & has really great REAL advice.
I like the humor and story-teling in it. Makes me feel like I can totally do this! :)
Trina
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book has become my "bible" for motherhood. Filled with so much truth and neat tips, I think it's a MUST for moms and moms-to-be!
Hagen
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
very informative...breaks down EVERYTHING. can get a little long (when you're sick of talking about being pregnant!) but it's great for answering any questions. start early in your pregnancy.
Bridgette
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i loved this book...tons of information on taking care of infants and raising babies. lots of practical facts here and quite a comphrensive approach to modern motherhood through the toddler years.
Ashley
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Gives great recommendations on products, places to shop, etc.
Julie
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Funny guidebook for moms.I find Jane Buckingham a crack up!
Leah Jones-barrett
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Liked this book. Easy to read. Good ideas. Would loosely follow for when I have a kid. Good to know brand names listed. Would reccomend
TRH
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great reference book for soon to be new mothers. Wonderful detail and really gets down to what you absolutely need to bring baby home, as well as what you can expect before and after delivery.
Christi Mendenhall
Jun 01, 2014
Margaret
Jul 25, 2011
Jacky
Apr 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Mommy Diaries: Finding Yourself in the Daily Adventure
  • Mary Kay: You Can Have It All: Lifetime Wisdom from America's Foremost Woman Entrepreneur
  • Babyproofing Your Marriage: How to Laugh More, Argue Less, and Communicate Better as Your Family Grows
  • Bringing Tuscany Home: Sensuous Style From the Heart of Italy
  • Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: A Gutsy Guide to Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother!
  • Stormie: A Story of Forgiveness and Healing
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • He Chose You
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History
  • Ultimate Spy Book
  • Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home: No-Nonsense Advice that Will Inspire You to CLEAN like the DICKENS
  • The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99