Start by marking “The Jabberwocky Princess (The Forest Tales, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Jabberwocky Princess (The Forest Tales, #2)

The Jabberwocky Princess

(The Forest Tales #2)

Beware the Jabberwock . . . The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Kitchen maid Kainda is the daughter of a disgraced monster-hunter. She longs to learn more about strange beasts and use the hunting skills her father taught her, but kitchen maids don’t get to have adventures—especially not a girl everyone thinks is crazy.

That is until devil-may-care Prince Ander enlists
Published March 10th 2020 by Jabberwocky Tales

To ask other readers questions about The Jabberwocky Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jabberwocky Princess

Start your review of The Jabberwocky Princess (The Forest Tales, #2)
I'm All Booked Up  YA
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

*We received this book in exchange for an honest review*

The Jabberwocky Princess is the companion novel to Desperate Forest and the second book in The Forest Tales series.

We’re back to the same world as Desperate Forest, but focused on different kingdoms in the relm. Kainda is a chambermaid in the royal place of Galesmore. In the kingdom of Fernshire, a beast is slaying people and nobody can defeat. The King of Fernshire has asked for help. Any prince who can slay the beast wi
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
3⭐️⭐️⭐️
The book opens with “Jabberwocky” by Lewis Carroll, a poem I loved in high school. It starts out with things that are hard to believe and it seemed more middle school than YA.
The author wrote a cute story that wasn’t deep and it didn’t need to be.
Overall a fun light read.

What I liked:
• Fast pace
• HEA
• Some unexpected plot twists

What I didn’t like:
• Simply story-telling
• One-dimensional characters
• Mostly predictable

I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expresse
Therese Heckenkamp
Best book I've read so far this year! Beautifully written and perfectly layered, this unique novel will touch your emotions while captivating you. I love the way the story grabbed me from page one, pulling me right into a fun, spirited scene with lively personalities and tantalizing plot elements. This is only the second book in the series (and each can be enjoyed as a standalone), and already Cece Louise has mastered the finer points of writing. Everything flows so naturally.

The Jabberwocky Pri
Sara Zaninelli
Shelves: collaborazioni
“Happiness takes effort - especially when another person is involved.”

I received and ARC from the author for a review.
This book was so beautiful! When I read Cece Louise’s books, it is like diving into a fairytale and I would never want to get out! The story takes place in the same world of Desperate Forests but the characters are completely new and we only have a little glimpse of Roselynn and Jay just at the end of the book, but the new characters are awesome as well! Kainda is my favorite,
Julie - One Book More
Shelves: favorites, ya, fantasy

I received an ARC from the author, and I am so glad that I did. This is the best story I’ve read this year! I absolutely loved it!

The Jabberwocky Princess is the second book in the series but can be read as a standalone. I did not read Desperate Forest, the first book in the series, and I easily followed this story. Of course, I liked this book so much that I got Desperate Forest before I even finished reading The Jabberwocky Princess!

Yes, it’s that good!

K
Casey
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
A wonderful adventure with an Alice in Wonderland theme. I read this in one day, it was fast paced and enjoyable the whole way though. This is the second book in the series, but it can stand alone as it's own novel as well. Nothing is lost or confusing by starting with this book.

The character development for Opal started out a bit slow, we get two POVs to read from (Kainda and Opal) and at first I wasn't a big fan of Opals parts. That changed as the book went on, she developed more and more and
Emily
Kainda is a maid and the daughter of a monster hunter whose legend is far from reputable, in fact it is an embarrassment. Kainda though wants to be a knight, she wants to believe that her father is not the joke everyone believes he is. Kainda also wants to be one of the people joining Prince Ander in hunting down the beast who is killing the towns people.

Prince Ander is surprised to find a woman trying to join the hunt, but some of her ideas have peaked his interest. Ander allows Kainda to join
Carolyn
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
4.5 stars - A fun fantasy tale for teens with adventure, action, and light romance - actually TWO romances! And dragons. Who doesn't like a good dragon slaying? Beyond that, there's a bit of mystery as Princess Opal, Prince Ander, Kainda, and Larkin work to discover what or who is behind the monstrous attacks on Fernshire.

The pacing is good throughout as both the romance and mystery unfold through the eyes of the two heroines - Opal and Kainda. Both are spunky and sassy in a way that modernizes
H. S. Kylian (Hannah Killian)
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ok, so since I read Kyle Robert Shultz's version of the Jabberwocky first, I did think of his version a few times while reading this.

That being said, I enjoyed this! And the romantic in me is glad that my ships sailed, haha.
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The Jabberwocky Princess by Cece Louise, is an excellent historical young adult romance novel by this fantastic author. She did a great job of bringing the Jabberwock to life.
Can Kainda restore her father's good name in the monster-hunting world?
Kainda
Kainda is our first point-of-view in this story and the one that is perfect for this book. We follow her from
Rachel Feeck
Not a bad read, but does little to expand the Jabberwocky canon.

Lewis Carroll’s Jabberwocky is one of two poems I have memorized, and one of my all-time favorites, so when I saw this title I was immediately hooked. (Check out the full poem here.)

Since her father’s questionable disappearance several years ago, nineteen-year-old Kainda has worked as a palace maid to support her ailing mother. Her skills as a tracker don’t make her the most adept at domestic service, so she jumps at the chance to h
Jasmyn
Jabberwocky Princess is a fantastical fairy tale that I’m surprised Disney hasn’t taken for a movie yet. The world’s most famous monster-hunter disappeared mysteriously, but he left much of his knowledge to his daughter, Kainda. Looked down upon as a kitchen maid, she really doesn’t fit in anywhere except when she visits her best friend, a knight who plays a surprising role that I didn’t wholly expect at first.

The story alternates between Kainda and Princess Opal’s POV. Opal seems to be a bit of
Riley
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall I liked this story, but there were a few things that bothered me:

teeny tiny potential *spoilerish* critical comments...

1.) Opal was a cookie-cutter spoiled and entitled princess with the typical secret desire to play with the kingdom's children and comfort the old people, making her seem both unrealistic and shallow at the same time. Also, why did a certain someone never mention that he loves sketching too when she told him her hobbies?

2.) She hated everyone for not seeing her as a real
Mikkayla
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I feel very similarly about this book as I did the first in this series. The story was unique and I loved it! But the excitement and adventure, while there, it was missing something.

The Kingdom of Fernshire has been having a problem with a beast killing all of its livestock...again.

It happened four years before, and now it is back. Kainda’s father was the beast hunter to track down the beast those four years earlier, only he and the beast were never seen again.

The King of Fernshire sends out
Monica
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Jabberwocky Princess is one of my favorite books right now! I can't decide what the best part of Cece Louise's writing is. Is it her engaging cast of characters, her lively dialogue, or her colorful world in general that draws a reader in? Parts of this story brought me to full blown laughter (in a good way), while others literally brought tears to my eyes (also in a good way 😊). Seriously, this book brings all the feels!

Jabberwocky Princess is the 2nd book in Louise's series, but it can st
Ashley Tyler
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. This book was about Kainda, a kitchen maid and daughter of a disgraced monster-hunter, who desires to learn more about the monster that killed her father four years ago, but everyone thinks that work is not for a young girl, but that is until Kainda meets the fifth in line to the throne,

Prince Ander, who enlists her help in defeating a monster troubling a nearby kingdom. With her best friend by her side, Kainda
Kenna
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall, an enjoyable and harmless read. Felt a lot like a typical YA novel about a girl who's unique and special, but a very refreshingly different one.

(Minor spoilers below! No major plot points ot anything)

It had elements I enjoyed, like monster hunting, romance (Larkin and Opal!!) and knights. I didn't expect the true villain (!!!) and it genuinely made me go "Oh! Interesting."

However, the story felt rushed in some parts (the entire plot gets kicked off in the first chapter, it's a lot to ta
Autumn Brown
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC from the author.
"The Jabberwocky Princess" is the sequel (though still a stand-alone novel) to "Desperate Forest". Cece Louis has committed to writing clean fiction that empowers young girls. "The Jabberwocky Princess" follows two very different, yet equally strong, women. Kainda is a kitchen maid turned monster hunter on the search for independence and answers about her father’s mysterious disappearance. Opal is a princess who wants nothing more than to have cont
Misa
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it

I'm really happy for this opportunity that makes me discover this author and her books.

I got hooked from the start to this story and it was so nicely written with an interesting plot. I loved the narrative style. I loved all the characters and the story was intriguing with all the Jabberwocky monster's mistery.

Now, I really want to read all Cece Louise's books if they are going to be as good as this one.

However,
Jamie Jack
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: p-2020, fantasy
Delightful Quest Story

This is the first book I have read by this author. I enjoy fantasy, but it doesn't always make it into my reading rotation. I am glad that I chose this book. I'll admit that I was first drawn to it just by the title. The poem Jabberwocky is one that my older sister always liked to dramatically read.

Our heroine starts as just a kitchen maid, but she has a deep backstory where she helped her monster hunter father as she was growing up. So when the neighboring realm is threate
Serena
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
While this book states it is apart of the Forest Tales series, it is important to note that it is a stand-alone book and can be read without any other knowledge of this 'world'.

I found it to be one of those books that sucks you in from the very first page, the first paragraph hooks you and you cannot put it down until you have devoured every last word!

I do love a good retelling and Alice in Wonderland is not one that you come across every day, Cece Louise has written a beautiful adaption and mad
Aliya
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC of this book, in no way did this affect my review*

This is the second book in the Forest Tales series by Cece Louise but can be read as a standalone.

The Jabberwocky Princess was an overall enjoyable and fun read. It starts right into the action from page one where you meet Kainda and her best friend Larkin. There have been attacks in this world by an unknown beast, the same beast that might’ve had something to do with Kainda’s father’s disappearance...

This book follows the
Kirstyn Yosick
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this novel for review from the author**

When I happened across The Jabberwocky Princess, I immediately knew I had to read it. Inspired by Lewis Carroll’s poem The Jabberwocky, Jabberwocky Princess centers around Kainda who is a kitchen maid who dreams of following in the steps of her monster hunting father.

Kainda is everything you want in a female heroine - strong, independent, and vulnerable. She fights for her right to join Prince Ander’s knights to help vanq
Sara Lawson
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
The Jabberwocky Princess was a fantastic second book in Cece Louise's Forest Tales saga. Kainda, daughter of a famed (now deceased) monster hunter, seeks to follow in her father's footsteps, hunting and slaying monsters. Sadly, she is a kitchen maid, since monster hunting is for the knights. But through a series of fortunate events, she finds herself going along with the knights to find a monster that is destroying the nearby kingdom of Fernshire, the famed Jabberwock.

Princess Opal, on the other
Nicole
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this novel as an ARC from Ms. Louise. Thank you! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This novel was a very enjoyable read that I could not put down! A kitchen maid proving she can do the job of man even though many things are stacked against her. A princess deciding she wants to be more than just a pawn. Kainda was once the daughter of a famous monster hunter who mysteriously disappeared after attempting to slay an unknown monster, leaving her to deal with the repercussions, but Kain
Roxanne [Blushing Bibliophile]
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from the author.

Inspired by Lewis Caroll’s poem “The Jabberwock”, this tale focuses on Kainda - a kitchen maid who simply wants to follow in her father’s footsteps and become a monster hunter. But who would trust the daughter of this man after he supposedly went crazy and killed his entire hunting party four years ago?

Everything is about to change though… The monster who took her father’s life is back! The king of Fernshire is offering his daughter’s
Jennifer Layne
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book review of The Jabberwocky Princess (The Forest Tales, #2) by Cece Louise

“Beware the Jabberwock . . . The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!”

(Minor spoilers below! No major plot points ot anything)

When I received this from the author as an Advanced Reader Copy, I had no idea it was a 2nd in a series, I might not have accepted as I felt lost quite a bit. That said, the story felt rushed in some parts, maybe because it was a 2nd book and the expectation for plot setting would be minimized b
Marian.librarian
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute and quick read. It started off very abruptly almost rushing into the story. The author does a great job at making you root for the characters and really makes you love them. I believe the two perspective writing style Louise uses is very effective and well done, although I wish there was more of a difference in the two perspectives in the writing style. I felt they were too similar of characters and mindsets that at points when I was reading forgot who was narrating.

The
Jenn
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you like characters that are out to prove themselves, (and prove their haters wrong), this is the book that you want. Kainda knows she is destined for more than being a kitchen maid. Despite his humble beginnings, Larkin wants nothing more than a chance to prove he deserves to be a knight. Princess Opal longs to spread her wings and choose her own path. And devil-may-care Prince Ander is more than just a pretty face.

This book is told in alternating POV between Kainda and Opal. I didn't quite
Maryjo Laupp
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-2020
This clever story from Ce Ce Louise takes a poem that every Alice in Wonderland fan is familiar with and creates an entire story. Told from the perspective of Kainda - the daughter of a monster hunter - and Opal - the princess of a kingdom being plagued by an unknown beast who has been promised in marriage to anyone able to defeat the creature - Louise creates a story filled with brave knights, strong women who refuse to conform to the conventions of society (and the men who love them), and the ...more

• Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Voyage (The Kingdom Chronicles #6)
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • Shard of Glass: A Cinderella Romance (Fairy Tale Royals, #1)
  • Dreamer of Briarfell: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty (Fairytales of Folkshore, #7)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Sea of Starlight (The Riven Kingdoms #2)
  • Forest of Firelight (The Riven Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Dawn of Darkness (The Riven Kingdoms #3)
  • The Last Eligible Bachelor  (Seasons of Change Book, #3)
  • Forget Me Not (The Gents #1)
  • Oh, Keep Your Shirt On (Shaped By Love #2)
  • The Marked Earth (The Cursed Key Trilogy, #3)
  • The Peasant's Dream (Hagenheim, #11)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
Cece Louise writes clean novels filled with adventure, romance, and spirit for teens and adults.

An avid reader, Cece has been making up stories in her head as long as she can remember. A true believer that writing should be fun, she loves communicating with her readers and connecting with other writers.

In 2012, Cece graduated summa cum laude with a BBA from the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.

The Forest Tales (2 books)
  • Desperate Forest (The Forest Tales, #1)

News & Interviews

“The problem was that I was thinking about it too logically. I needed to think about it illogically.” “Of course.” Ander rolled his eyes as he sank into a nearby chair. “That makes perfect sense.” 0 likes