Start by marking “The Bowery Slugger (Alex Cohen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bowery Slugger (Alex Cohen, #1)

The Bowery Slugger (Alex Cohen, #1)

A turn-of-the-century Jewish boy punches his way into the gangs of New York.

When Alex Cohen arrives in 1915 America, he seizes the land of opportunity with both hands and grabs it by the throat. But success breeds distrust and Alex must choose between controlling his gang and keeping his friend alive. What would you do if the person you trusted most is setting you up to
Published November 10th 2019 by Sobriety Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bowery Slugger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bowery Slugger

Start your review of The Bowery Slugger (Alex Cohen, #1)
Dash fan
4 A Gritty and Authentic Historical Crime Fiction !

This is the first book in a gritty new series and I'm excited to read the next one!

The Bowery Slugger is a character driven story that's takes the reader on a dark and gritty journey that looks into immigration, survival, Jewish mobsters, life choices, new starts, making a reputation, falling in love.

Alex and his family arrive in New York as Jewish immigrants, with no job Alex starts to look to find work to support his parents.

But it's not easy
Yvonne
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is set in 1915 and I arrived to this story as Alex Cohen arrives in America. He and his family settle and Alex finds himself a job, he starts at the bottom and gradually over the next few months he starts to climb the ladder.

This is a belter of a read and if, like me, you read and loved “Gangs of New York, then you are going to love The Bowery Slugger. It is the the story of a young man who finds himself working for the Jewish Mob. This kind of caught me unawares as I tend to think of this
Kim
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a brand new series from Leopold Borstinski. Whilst I have read previous books by this author before, I have never read one of an American gangster genre so I jumped at the opportunity.

Alex and his family left their old home, and his questionable employment to create a new and better life for themselves and a chance for Alex to go straight in the land of opportunity, America.

Landing in New York they quickly find that this is not the case and Alex is drawn back into
Neats
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Bowery Slugger is the first book I've read by Leopold Borstinski but it definitely won't be the last!

The year is 1915 and Alex and his Jewish family have travelled to America from Ukraine in search of a safer and better life. The family have very little but manage to find somewhere to live in a tenement and teenage Alex quickly falls in with one of the gangs in The Bowery. This means that he is able to support his family but he tells his family very little about his 'work' as he knows that
Namrata Ganti
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The Bowery Slugger follows the life of Alex as he steps off a boat and onto American soil. This is a well-written story set during the onset of World War I, bringing the reader to a small part of the world and it's inhabitants. Alex, in his teenage years, is smart and ruthless, grabbing opportunities and finding his way forward. We are introduced to the Jewish New York mob and how it is run. We meet some very interesting people who add different views and dimensions to this story.

The story is
Sue
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
New York, 1915: Alex Cohen and his family have fled yet another rising tide of violence against Jewish people in the Ukraine, looking for a new start in the land of opportunity.

Misnamed Fabian Mustard on their arrival at Ellis Island, Alex is forced to look for a way to support his parents and siblings, as the struggle to find gainful employment is harder than they anticipated. He finds himself drawn back into the criminal life he was embroiled in back home, by his new best friend Sammy, despite
Janice
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Borstinski’s books that I’ve read, and I must tell you … he’s a fine storyteller! I would go so far as to say that there’s something a little reminiscent of Jeffrey Archer in the way he weaves a tale!

The Bowery Slugger is the first in a new series about Alex Cohen a.k.a. Fabian Mustard a.k.a. Slugger. In 1915, Alex arrives in New York with his parents and sister from the Ukraine to escape the rising violent anti-Semitism there. Along with many other confused and overwhelmed
Emma
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
All of my reviews can be found at https://damppebbles.com/

The Bowery Slugger is the first book in the Alex Cohen series by Leopold Borstinski and was published on 10th November 2019 by Sobriety Press. I received a free eARC of The Bowery Slugger but that has in no way influenced my review.

I occasionally indulge in a little historical crime fiction. Not often enough though, not as frequently as I would like. Which was why I was so excited to make a start on The Bowery Slugger. Set in the 1910s,
Cheryl M-M
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let's be honest - Alex Cohen aka Fabian Mustard isn't exactly the kind of character the reader feels any kind of empathy with or sympathy for. Does he have any redeeming qualities? I think the one consistent positive quality is the way he supports his family and ensures that they stay both safe and have a roof over their head.

It certainly isn't loyalty to his fellow comrades, because his loyalty only reaches as far as his own financial gain or territory, and when they are under threat he doesn't
Alaknanda Agarwal
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read full review here .

Alex Cohen had a keen eye, quick hands and a sharp mind, and he rose up the ranks in Waxey Gordon’s gang fast. He also loved Rebecca, his simple downstairs neighbour, who wanted him to leave his gang life behind if he wanted to marry her. And wedged in between all this, is his trusted gang aide- Sammy, his go-to for female companionship- Sarah, his boss Waxey, and his crew. This story is all about Alex.

Alex’s character is very well made up by Borstinski. Inspite of being
Alex  Jones
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third book I’ve read this year by Leopold Borstinski, following reviews of The Heist and The Case.

This is quite different from both of those books and one I really enjoyed as we are introduced to Alex Cohen, a young Jewish boy who arrives in America in 1915. With his family struggling for work and money to pay the rent, Teenage Alex takes it upon himself to find some money for the family by any means necessary. This in turns introduces him to the street and gang life of New York.

The
Mandie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Bowery Slugger is the first book in the Alex Cohen series and although I absolutely love historical fiction, I will admit that this is not my normal read in this genre. Having never read any previous books by this author I was not sure what to expect. That being said, I found that I flew through the book and I was hooked from the beginning. Alex Cohen is a Jewish immigrant from the Ukraine and he immediately falls in with the gangs of the Bowery, working his way up the chain quite quickly. ...more
Ann Keeran
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction at its best. Borstinski brings to life the members of the different gangs in New York before WWII. Alex Cohen is a character to follow.
Pat Eroh
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book that is excellently-written. Alex is a great character and all characters are really well-developed and realistic. This is the first in a series and I hope to read the rest of the series.

Elke
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3,5
Jay Williams
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely the best Borstinski book I have read. The writing captures the look and feel of the Bowery of the 1920s and provides an amazing story of a young Jewish immigrant from Ukraine. The characters are developed in depth and very realistic, both good and bad. The book includes lots of violence and action, but not in gory detail. The style of writing provides for great mental images without getting in front of the story. This is a perfect level of detail, and a definite "read again."

I
Linda  Longo
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enter a time when Jews are fleeing Europe to escape pograms in their homelands. Arriving with very little, they have few prospects but tenement life. One boy wants more for his family, so he joins a gang in the Bowery. This is a glimpse into a time past - a time when a boy grows into a man while trying to balance a decent family life with racketeering.
Jacqueline  sharp
Kim
marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2019

• 17 Church Row
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2)
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • Ghoster
  • The Little Paris Bookshop
  • A Nearly Normal Family
  • Last Request
  • Liebes Kind
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Anna Undreaming (The Metiks Fade Trilogy #1)
  • Crystallize (Spellcrest Academy #3)