Start by marking “SOLO: A Down to Earth Guide to Travelling the World Alone” as Want to Read:
SOLO: A Down to Earth Guide to Travelling the World Alone

SOLO: A Down to Earth Guide to Travelling the World Alone

Are you all alone? Trapped in a dead-end job? Life going nowhere?

Time for an adventure!

For more than five years, Aaron Hodges has journeyed the globe alone, visiting everywhere from Istanbul to Argentina. Honest and insightful, SOLO is packed with his personal travel tips and humorous stories. Learn about the ups and downs, the triumphs and the pitfalls of venturing off th

To ask other readers questions about SOLO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SOLO

Start your review of SOLO: A Down to Earth Guide to Travelling the World Alone
Claire
Thank you very much to Rachel of Rachel’s Random Resources for sending me a free copy of Solo in return for an honest review.

Solo: A Down to Earth Guide for Travelling the World Alone by Aaron Hodges is the perfect guide for anyone considering solo travel.

In 2014 after the end of a three year relationship, Aaron Hodges decided to quit his job and travel the world. While travelling, he published his first novel, Stormwielder, and has continued to write and travel ever since. In this short non-fic
Jessica
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All my reviews can be found at: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~
This review will appear on my site on December 4, 2020 as a part of the blog tour with Rachel's Random Resources.
~~~~
This is an A+, 5 star memoir by Aaron Hodges about traveling solo. He has traveled solo for over 5 years and gives many pointers for the new and yet-to-travel solo traveler. Hodges talks directly to the reader and yes, DO heed his plethora of advice! If I was still at this part of my life to travel solo, I would hav
Pascaline Wallemacq
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read if you wish traveling solo and get tips. Or if you want to travel solo and still hesitate, you will be convinced that it is one of the best experience in a lifetime!
I traveled solo a lot and this book reminds me so much of my thoughts, good memories and experiences when I traveled. Be ready to travel and dream with this book!
L.S.
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! That was such fun. Just like having a personal adviser to answer all your travel questions. Great job, Aaron!

With info based on actual experience - I, for one, love an expert - peppered with funny anecdotes, it's impossible not to get the travel bug after reading this gem. Delivered with a personal touch, the author treats the reader like a friend with his chatty, conversational style. You can tell this author writes fiction too, as he doesn't just tell you what you need to do, he shows you
Jena Henry
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am sure most of us have dreamed of leaving our day-to day to answer the call of the wild. Many of us can envision running out of the office and blowing like a dandelion through Europe, to Asia, South America, Africa, through jungles, up mountains, to gorgeous tropical beaches. But we never seem to get beyond the “chatting with friends at the bar” stage.

That was the best part of Author Aaron Hodge’s book for me. He makes backpacking travel, even solo travel, seem so possible and do-able. His re
Melissa
Reading travel books when you’re stuck in quarantine, and in the country no one wants visitors from, but the truth is Solo: A Down to Earth Guide for Travelling the World Alone, is so breezy and engaging that reading it gave me hope for a future when travel is easy and accessible again.

In this book, which is aimed at a demographic I’m not in (I’m a good twenty years older than the author, and very, very married), author Aaron Hodges theorizes that his readers share something in common with him –
Kelly Thomas
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Today is Solo: A Down to Earth Guide for Travelling the World Alone’s birthday and I am taking part in the blog blitz thanks to Rachel’s Random Resources and Aaron Hodges.

Reading this book wasn’t like reading at all, it felt like I was sat chatting to a friend and them giving me advice and sharing their travelling stories.

I agreed to take part because, like many this year, I have felt stuck and contemplative and wanting to escape ‘life’. Travelling the world has been something that I have alwa
Jessica Bronder
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I have never been one to want to travel. I love my home and staying away from people. I’m really leery about being on my own in a strange country. But I do enjoy watching travel shows on television and reading about them. So I figured that I would give Solo a try.

Aaron Hodges has traveled the world for the last five years and has written a guide for anyone who wants to travel but is by themselves. I enjoyed how he shared his different stories of his adventures. It was just
 Ceri Evans
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
I think the cover for this one sums it up perfectly. I always enjoy reading travel guides, and I thought this sounded unique and different so I wanted to give it a try. It certainly is a down to earth, realistic travel guide that I have enjoyed reading and devoured quickly.
Aaron provides lots of helpful hints and tips for wannabe, and newbie, solo travellers. He takes into consideration budget and other circumstances in order to weigh up and describe a range of options that are open to solo trav
Michelle Lamude
Dec 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Solo is a travel guide aimed at students and young adults in their 20s. At the start of the book the author provides some background into why he decided to go travelling alone. Aaron then goes on to challenge the reader to think about their own reasons for wanting to travel. Yes it can be amazing fun, and an adventure even life changing, but it can also be exhausting, uncomfortable and at times dangerous.

The book then moves on to provide some useful recommendations for planning, booking and pack
Caroline Venables
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has travelled alone I was really looking forward to reading this book.

From my own personal experience travelling solo was a real joy. The freedom to do what you want, I found liberating.

So if you are thinking of travelling alone I really recommend this book. It is full of useful information and experiences of the author.

If you are in two minds about doing it, don’t. You won’t regret it.
Joanne Hampton
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A meaningful trip with the author through many countries. Where to go on vacation, what to pack, where to stay and many, many more useful places to go and do. When to use travelling tips and good recommendations for the best places to sleep. Making friends along the way and helping each other when on the road. Very good instructions for everyone.
Maria Sinclair
Victorine  Lozach
Jan 06, 2021

• Trials and Tribulations of a Pet Sitter
  • I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
  • This Year Maybe (Aliss's Adventures Book 2)
  • The Purple Shadow
  • Christmas at the Little Waffle Shack (Heritage Cove, Book 2)
  • Inside Voices
  • Solutions and Other Problems
  • The Last Day
  • Networking for writers.
  • Half Blood Rising (Moonlight Academy #1)
  • Call: Pied Piper Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale series Book 21)
  • Composting: Sustainable and Low-Cost Techniques for Beginners
  • Heading Over the Hill: The perfect funny, uplifting read for 2020
  • Murder at the Gorge (The Exham-on-Sea Murder Mysteries Book 7)
  • Ruthless Fae
  • Foregone Conflict
  • The Boy Between: A Mother and Son’s Journey From a World Gone Grey
  • The Silent Daughter
Aaron Hodges was born in 1989 in the small town of Whakatane, New Zealand. He studied for five years at the University of Auckland, completing a Bachelor's of Science in Biology and Geography, and a Masters of Environmental Engineering. After working as an environmental consultant for two years, he now spends his time traveling the world in search of his next adventure.