Start by marking “Darling Rose Gold” as Want to Read:
Darling Rose Gold

Darling Rose Gold

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  15,233 ratings  ·  3,117 reviews
For the first eighteen years of her life, Rose Gold Watts believed she was seriously ill. She was allergic to everything, used a wheelchair and practically lived at the hospital. Neighbors did all they could, holding fundraisers but no matter how many doctors, tests, or surgeries, no one could figure out what was wrong with Rose Gold.

Turns out her mom, Patty Watts, was jus
Published March 17th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Darling Rose Gold, please sign up.
Katie (lets.get.literate) The author mentioned in her acknowledgements that she used Blanchard's case as inspiration/studied it, but this is definitely NOT a retelling of the B…moreThe author mentioned in her acknowledgements that she used Blanchard's case as inspiration/studied it, but this is definitely NOT a retelling of the Blanchard case. What happened to Rose Gold during her childhood is similar, but the focus of this story is what happens after the abuse comes to light. There are drastic differences between what happens between this mother and daughter, and what happened to Gypsy Rose and her mother.(less)
Sheena Harter Clearly this is a fictional take on the true crime events. And the author acknowledged that in the book notes. True crime stories have always been ins…moreClearly this is a fictional take on the true crime events. And the author acknowledged that in the book notes. True crime stories have always been inspiration for fictional works (think about every episode of Law and Order), so this is really nothing new. (less)

·  15,233 ratings  ·  3,117 reviews

Start your review of Darling Rose Gold
Emily May
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book just didn't sit right with me, guys. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I really didn't like what seems to be the "message". I'm not going to get all finger-waggy about it. If you enjoyed this and found it a compelling thriller, then I am glad. I just personally couldn't get on board with the narrative being sold here. A lot of my major issues are going to be under spoiler tags.

Darling Rose Gold is based on the true story of Dee Dee Blanchard and Gypsy Rose. In this book, Ro
Miranda Reads
description
I have read my way through 315 books to bring you my Top 10 Books of the Year (video) .

Now you know that this one made the cut, check out my video review to see the others!

(Ps. This one is technically going to be published next year but it was so good, I let it slide)

description

All these years, I've been telling people she was sick.
Look who was right after all.
Rose Gold spent nearly two decades of her life believing she was sick.

A chromosomal abnormality i
Meredith
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Mother vs Daughter. Crazy vs Crazier. Who will win in the end?

Darling Rose Gold is a psychological thriller about an extremely dark and twisted mother-daughter relationship.

5 years ago, 23-year-old Rose Gold Watt’s mother, Patty, was convicted for aggravated child abuse. Patty, who has Munchausen by Proxy, abused her daughter for years. Under her mother’s care, Rose Gold became violently ill, suffering from malnutrition and a host of other ailments as a result of her mother's abuse.

Patty
Maureen
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
**4.5 stars **

“I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Let me say straight off the bat that neither of our protagonists - mother Patty Watts, and daughter Rose Gold Watts are in the least bit likeable, but are they readable? Hell yes!

Rose Gold spent nearly two decades of her life believi
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Berkley Publishing Group
"Most people don't like holding on to anger. They feel it crushing and consuming them, so they let it go. They try to forget the ways they've been wronged. But some of us cannot forget and will never forgive. We keep our axes sharp, ready to grind. We hold pleas for mercy between our teeth like jawbreakers. They say a grudge is a heavy thing to carry. Good thing we're extra strong."

Saddle up and buckle in folks, we have a new popcorn thriller on the horizon! True, this book isn't released in the
Deanna
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020
4.5 Stars!!!

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

A plucked from the headlines gripping read!

The story opens as Patty Watts aka “Poisonous Patty” is being released from prison after serving five years for aggravated child abuse. Patty has always maintained that she is innocent. She doesn’t blame Rose Gold even though her daughter testified against her. Instead, she blames the prosecutor, the jury, and the reporters who just wanted their story. If she did all o
Susanne  Strong
5 Sick and Seriously Twisted Stars!
Now that’s my Kind of Read!

Mothers and Daughters - talk about relationships that are never easy!

Most, however don’t involve mothers who constantly lie and cause extreme harm to their daughters, complicating things just a tad.

Whatever the problem might be, a Good Dose of PRISON is sure to shake things up a bit!

Just ask Rose Gold. She sure is excited for her mom Patty to be released from the slammer after 5 long years. In fact, she almost seems.. gleeful. As f
marilyn
Oh my gosh, what a entertainingly wicked book. Rose Gold's mom, Patty, apparently suffers from Munchausen syndrome by proxy and has spent five years in prison for her brutal treatment of Rose Gold. On her release from prison, Rose Gold, with new baby in tow, picks Patty up from prison and allows her to move into her new home. Patty knows this home well because it was her childhood home where horrible things happened and a place Patty hoped to never see again.

This story is told from both the vie
Danielle
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, this story was really close to the true Gypsy Rose Blanchard case. The author was apparently inspired by it? 🤷🏼‍♀️ I don’t know, that’s what the inter webs are saying (and we all know everything online is true 🤪😂). Anywho... a mother is sentenced to five years in prison for child abuse (munchausen by proxy). But her daughter (Rose Gold) forgives her and picks her up and brings her home (with her newborn) to live with them. 🤔🤫🙄 I’m not gonna go further- cause I don’t wanna spoil the crazy sto ...more
megs_bookrack
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Slytherins
Shelves: arcs-read
Patty Watts was arrested and charged with poisoning her only daughter, Rose Gold.

A case of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy, Patty was alleged to have been abusing Rose Gold her entire life.

As a late teenager, Rose Gold, whose body has suffered permanent damage, confesses some truths about her life to a neighborhood friend. After that, the adults around her end up putting the rest of the pieces of the puzzle together.

Ultimately, Rose Gold testified against her Mother in court and she was sentenced
Norma
Compulsively readable, disturbingly fascinating, & an absolutely unputdownable psychological thriller!

DARLING ROSE GOLD by STEPHANIE WROBEL is one disturbing, dark, twisted, and original thriller that was quite the gripping book to read. I was immediately sucked into the narrative and could not put this book down.

STEPHANIE WROBEL delivers an interesting, fascinating, and well-written read here that offers quite the original and suspenseful plot with complex and dysfunctional characters. The sto
jessica
i want to preface this with saying my reading standards are so much higher for mysteries/thrillers than for other genres. it takes A LOT to really surprise and thrill me, so books have to work hard to get a 5 star rating/review from me. and although i didnt find this to be an intense page-turner, i do think the story has its merits.

i think the concept is phenomenally creative. its a little bit sad, a little bit weird, and a whole of crazy. i just dont think this is set up in the most effective
Sumit RK
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it

Darling Rose Gold is one of those stories in which you are not sure what to trust and whom to believe. As a dark and disturbing psychological thriller, it delivers an interesting and fascinating experience with a brilliantly original plot and some complex characters. In a genre full of stories of husbands and wives, Wrobel
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH NNOOOOO!!! This is too nasty, disturbing, agitating and creepy! This is totally sick, insane, dark, edgy! CARRIE MEETS HULU’S “ACT” SHOW! And I LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! Who cares if I’m not normal! I loved those brilliant, ultra evil genius brain cells of the author. If I ever have plastic surgery, I will demand to have that kind of batshit crazy brain cells so I can enjoy more creepier, nail destroyer, body hair lifter, and scary stories. As a result: I can happily give 5 gazillion stars ...more
Kaceey
Finally!! My search is over! The five star thriller I‘ve been searching for!

Oh how I love dysfunctional characters and all their human frailties. And folks, this book is chocked full of them! It was like a mad-cap competition to see who was more unstable.

Rose Gold had a rough childhood, to say the least. Always quite ill, ushered from one doctor to another...one hospital to the next. And never getting any answers.

Patty Watts. A single mother raising her daughter Rose Gold on her own. She has d
BernLuvsBooks
5 Sick and Twisted Mother-Daughter Relationship Stars

Rose Gold spent nearly 2 decades of her life believing she suffered from a chromosomal abnormality that kept her debilitated. She suffered from chronic pain, debilitating dizziness that kept her bound to a wheelchair, unexplained nausea that necessitated a feeding tube and hair loss that prompted a shaved head. Rose Gold was completely dependent on her mother, Patty, who was her sole caretaker. Unfortunately, as Rose Gold grew older she also r
Felicia
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story and it's characters have more layers than the filtering on my selfies.

"Most people don't like holding onto anger. They feel it crushing and consuming them, so they let it go. They try to forget the ways they've been wronged.

They say a grudge is a heavy thing to carry.

Good thing we're extra strong."

This is a story about revenge.
Liz
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Having just decided not to read any psychological thrillers for a while, I still had this in my queue. But no worries. This mother - daughter duel definitely kept my interest. Rose Gold spent her entire childhood ill. Five years ago, her mother was sent to prison, based on Rose’s testimony that her mother was poisoning her. My initial thoughts were that this was a Manchausen by proxy situation although that’s never mentioned. (I didn’t realize the story is based on a real life mother daughter du ...more
Sue
This is definitely going into my top 10 this year on the creepiest, page turning mind twisting edge of my seat reads!

A mothers and daughters relationship is a complicated one. If anyone has a daughter there are going to be some rocky moments. But forget that! That’s a piece of cake!
Meet Rose Gold and her Mother Patty. I don’t know who is worse. When she grew, did she learn from her mother?

As the blurb says, Rose Gold grew up believing there was something wrong with her. The surgeries she had to
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
5 mind blowing stars!

Oh my!! What a deliciously dark and twisty tale!

Rose Gold’s mother, Patty, was sentenced to 5 years in prison for abusing Rose Gold for eighteen years by poisoning her and making her appear critically ill. When Patty is released, Rose Gold is there to pick her up from prison along with her two month old son. Rose Gold knows her mother has no one to turn to and feels she has paid her dues for her crime. But, has Patty moved on from her controlling and deceitful ways? Will Ro
JanB
Once again I find myself an outlier.

The story opens with mother Patty’s release from prison, where she’s spent the last 5 years for aggravated child abuse. Patty had fooled countless doctors that Rose Gold was deathly ill, but it turns out Patty suffers from Munchausen by proxy and all of Rose’s illnesses were caused by Patty herself.

But let’s let bygones be bygones, right? With her newborn son, Rose picks up Patty on the day she’s released from prison and brings her to live with her in the hou
Holly  B
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark, complex and plenty of unlikeable characters to hate on...

Munchausen syndrome by proxy is such a fascinating and disturbing disorder. There are many real-life cases that have made headlines. I'm not familiar with the details of any of them, but have seen news reports.

The mommy from hell in this one is Patty Watts. She has been released from prison after five years for abusing her daughter, Rose-Gold Watts. They have decided to move in together and see how it goes....Rose Gold has a forgivin
Tammy
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m in the minority on this one. Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy is a horrifying affliction in which a child is made ill by the mother’s narcissistic need for attention and sympathy. Seemingly based upon the story of Dee Dee and Gypsy Blancharde, I didn’t find this novel to be entertaining. I’m not opposed to unlikable characters but this made want to take a shower after reading it. It is chillingly unpleasant.
Elyse  Walters
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
“Darling Rose Gold”....is one of the new psychological thriller *It* books. We have them every year. Excitement for the newest thrilling-thriller.
“Rose Gold Darling”, won’t be released until March of 2020....but the early reviews were expressing ‘suspense-entertainment’ with words such as “dark, shocking, creepy, and unputdownable.
Being curious - I jumped on the OMG wagon.

My first dislike: ( as in a pet peeve dislike)....I’m not a fan of the ‘name’, “Rose Gold”. I’d never want to be called ‘R
David Putnam
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book the writing craft is above average. It took a while for me to drop into the book. When I did I found that the story wasn't one I enjoyed. I'm sure this is just a taste issue and others might enjoy it. Its a tough topic to pull off, the abuse of a child. I also thought there might be a motivation issue, (MAR, Motivation, Action, Reaction) in how one of the main characters picked her mother up at the prison after what had transpired. There wasn't any motivation in why sh ...more
Paige
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this one! I found both narrators so hard to trust, and as lies began to unfold the thrill of what was to come had me rapidly turning the pages. Nearly every chapter revealed a new lie or added a new element to one of the characters that seemed to put a twist on things.

Who deserves a second chance? Does forgiveness come with limitations or should it be unconditional? Should mitigating factors be considered when speculating harmful behavior? The story starts out with Rose picking up
Jayme
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
AVAILABLE NOW! 4.5 stars!!

“Sometimes you accidentally hurt the ones you love"

For eighteen years, Patty Watts had the whole town convinced that her daughter was seriously ill, including Rose Gold, herself.

But, once it was discovered that Patty was the one causing all of these illnesses, she was sentenced to five years in jail.

Now Patty is being released, and Rose Gold is allowing her to come live with her, and her infant son, Adam.

BECAUSE EVERYONE DESERVES A SECOND CHANCE! RIGHT?

Make no mista
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tucker by: Miranda Reads

Many thanks to Berkley Publishing Group for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

”But people didn’t get excited by stories of forgiveness. They wanted bridges to burn. They wanted dramas that made their own lives feel normal.”

I have very mixed feelings about this book. Then again, I think this book has mixed feelings about this book so it’s all good.

So, what’s this book about?

Darling Rose Gold is about a young woman, Rose Gold, who is trying to get her life togeth
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Hot Twisted Diggity Dang!!! Now that is one twisted, complicated yet, captivating mother/daughter relationship. I loved it!!

Darling Rose Gold is pure gold here and is one exciting read. This was a highly anticipated Traveling Sisters group read. Once we started reading this story, we could not put it down until we finished. Those twisty turns kept us guessing and that final reveal is something to talk about.

Darling Rose Gold's subject matter is disturbing; however, Stephanie Wrobel explores the
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
There was a major buzz about this book on Goodreads months ago, with strong reactions. This is not my usual type of read, as my comfort zone lies with biographies and historical fiction. However, this book cover was inviting- an advance reader copy free for the taking...and my curiosity got the better of me. Even so, I let this one languish on my "to be read" shelf where it taunted me for months. I even thought of just ignoring it and not giving feedback, but decided that wasn't quite fair...I s ...more

• Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • The Temple House Vanishing
  • Lock Me In
  • Violet
  • The Secrets He Kept
  • The Stranger's Wife
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • A Bit of a Stretch
  • Wife After Wife
  • The Lost Ones
  • Anyone
  • The Other Daughter
  • Stop At Nothing
  • The Glittering Hour
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • All the Ways We Said Goodbye
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
Stephanie Wrobel grew up in Chicago but has been living in the UK for the last three years with her husband and dog, Moose Barkwinkle. She has an MFA from Emerson College and has had short fiction published in Bellevue Literary Review. Before turning to fiction, she worked as a creative copywriter at various advertising agencies.

Darling Rose Gold (US & Canada)/The Recovery of Rose Gold (UK) is her

Articles featuring this book

Let's face it, this year's class of first-time authors is seeing its debut novels launch into a world much different from what anyone in the...
“It was easier to manipulate someone if they didn’t perceive you as a threat.” 7 likes
“The debt between a child and her mother could never be repaid, like running a foot race against someone fifteen miles ahead of you. What hope did you have of catching up? It didn't matter how many Mother's Day cards you drew, how many cliches and vows of devotions you put inside them. You could tell her she was your favorite parent, wink like you were co-conspirators, fill her in on every trivial detail of your life. None of it was enough. It had taken me years to figure this out: you would never love your mother as much as she loved you. She had formed memories of you since you were a poppy seed in her belly. You didn't begin making your own memories until three, four, five years old? She'd had a running start. She had known you before you even existed. How could we compete with that? We couldn't. We accepted that our mothers held their love over us, let them parade it around like a flashy trinket, because their love was superior to ours.” 6 likes