Start by marking “The Ancient Dead: An Amanda Doucette Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Ancient Dead: An Amanda Doucette Mystery

The Ancient Dead: An Amanda Doucette Mystery

Amanda Doucette searches desperately for the connection between bones discovered in a remote Alberta coulee and an uncle who went missing thirty years ago.

Photographer Todd Ellison is engrossed in a photo shoot deep in Alberta’s dinosaur country when he stumbles upon human bones buried in the sand of a remote coulee. Not far away, while driving through the Alberta prairie,
Expected publication: January 26th 2021 by Dundurn Press

To ask other readers questions about The Ancient Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ancient Dead

Start your review of The Ancient Dead: An Amanda Doucette Mystery
Carolyn
Thank you NetGalley and Dundurn Press for the advanced copy of The Ancient Dead in return for an honest review. I had read the three previous Amanda Doucette books by Barbara Fradkin with much enjoyment, and I regret this was not as compelling for me.

Photographer Todd Ellison is on a photo shoot that includes remote farmlands and the dry landscape. He is now in dinosaur territory where many ancient reptiles were buried. He hopes to add a photo of a dinosaur bone (or at least one of a buffalo) t
Joyce
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
328 pages

4 stars

Having visited Alberta several times, the descriptions of the land and its inhabitants resonated with me. It is exactly as Ms. Fradkin describes. I simply love it.

A photographer out on a walking trip near Drumheller in Alberta to take pictures for his upcoming book stumbles on some bones. He doesn't even know what kind they are until a friend and he return to the site and discover that they are human.

At the same time, Amanda Doucette is scouting the area and planning her next t
Daphne Sharpe
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The Ancient Dead.
This thriller is set in Alberta, Canada, and the descriptions of this vast country and various areas are fascinating!
Todd Ellison, a photographer, discovers a bone buried in an area where Dinosaur bones have previously been found, but this bone is human.
Amanda Doucette, also in Alberta, sees an abandoned house, that reminds her of a photograph on the wall of her Aunts house, that shows a young man standing in front of the building. Her Aunt reluctantly confirms that the man is
Hannelore Cheney
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Dundurn Press for the eARC.
Amanda Doucette is in Alberta getting ready to take one of her educational trips with indigenous youth when bones are discovered near where she and her love, Chris (who is with the RCMP), are spending some much needed time together. The bones are found to be human and about 30 years old and Amanda believes they may be those of a long lost uncle.
The descriptions of the landscape are fantastic, so wild and forbidding and, so fascinating!, full of
Jayne
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
This novel opens with a love song to the prairies’ people, places, and history. Set partly amid the Drumheller hoodoos, the mystery starts with a dinosaur bone hunt and delves into the dusty secrets of a prairie ranching family. When the secrets spill over to include a ancient mystery in series lead Amanda Doucette's own family, she can't resist their pull even though it's costing her holiday time with her main squeeze.

Although well-grounded in the present, the plot has thirty-year old roots tha
Tayler Hill
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I was excited to see a book set in Canada, especially a murder mystery. This book kept me interested throughout the whole thing. I needed to keep reading to find out how it would end. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the main female character. I found her annoying at times. This Is also definitely a cozy mystery. In itself there is nothing wrong with that, but I prefer darker mysteries and as such I might not have enjoyed it as much as someone who usually goes for cozy mysteries. I’d give it more lik ...more
Louise Gray
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This mystery is so well developed and the detail so precise that I thought it was a true crime book. Entirely credible, every character was realistic - and often unlikable - and I found myself fully invested in reaching the outcome. The author is insightful and the writing crisp - very accessible for all readers who love a good mystery.
Kathy
Dec 22, 2020
Steve
rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2020
Karen
Jan 07, 2021
Michele
Jan 10, 2021

• Serpentine (Alex Delaware, #36)
  • The Broken Spine (Beloved Bookroom Mystery #1)
  • The Wisdom of Picard: An Official Star Trek Collection
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • The Evening and the Morning
  • Under Violent Skies
  • Alt er mitt
  • Girls of Brackenhill
  • The Malan Witch
  • The Searcher
  • Squeeze Me (Skink #8)
  • Winter Wishes At Swallowtail Bay (Swallowtail Bay, Book 3)
  • The Christmas Swap
  • Deadly Cross (Alex Cross, #28)
  • Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2)
  • A Time for Mercy (Jake Brigance, #3)
  • The Night Hawks (Ruth Galloway Mysteries #13)
Barbara Fradkin (nee Currie), an award-winning Canadian mystery writer and retired psychologist whose work with children and families provides ample inspiration for murder. She is fascinated by the dark side and by the desperate choices people make.

Her novels are gritty, realistic, and psychological, with a blend of mystery and suspense. She is the author of three series, including ten novels feat