Start by marking “Shattered (The Roll Models Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shattered (The Roll Models Saga, #1)

Shattered (The Roll Models Saga, #1)

Shattered.

Eighteenth birthdays only occur once in one’s lifetime and they are supposed to be life changing—fate had a grim sense of humor when she attended Steven’s Maxwell’s party.

Irrevocably shattered when a devastating accident changes every aspect of his family dynamic, Steven Maxwell must salvage what’s left of his life; fitting the pieces into a puzzle that not only
paperback, ebook, 384 pages
Published February 14th 2020 by Gray Tail Press

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered

Start your review of Shattered (The Roll Models Saga, #1)
Alec Frazier
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a lifelong disability rights advocate. I am the director of a firm called Autistic Reality, and I am also the author of books of essays on disability, pop culture, fandom, and much more. I am also a professional pop culture critic, and write reviews for a number of sites. I also speak on disability representation at a number of conferences and conventions. In addition, I have at least fifteen disabilities myself.

I have had the immense pleasure of knowing DA Charles for several years now. I
Molly
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of this book in return for an honest review!
I absolutely loved this book!!

I’ve been following D.A. Charles now for years and I’ve been anxiously anticipating this release and it did not disappoint.

Well written characters and a story line that made it hard to want to put the book down - well worth the read!!

I absolutely loved getting to learn more of the backstory and the struggles/triumphs that make this book so great!!

Now to wait anxiously for the next book!
Trisha
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 BIG ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This is the first book of D.A. Charles that I’ve had the pleasure to read & yes, it was an absolute pleasure to read.
The characters were well fleshed out, the world building was superb & the entire storyline had you quickly turning the page to find out what was coming next.
The characters were believable & quite “human” with their quirks, personalities & how they handled the ups & downs throughout the story.
I CAN! NOT! WAIT! for more Roll Models!! 💖💖💖💖
Debbie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a health care professional I encourage all of my friends in the healthcare field to consider reading this book. We all need an escape sometimes and what better way than with what we know best?
Whenever we tell people that they can follow their dreams irregardless of what challenges need to be overcome, do we ever really think about how that happens? What if a disability is involved? We strive to empower and we commit to delivering a plan that can help each person accomplish their goals, yet we
Jolanda Gelissen
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is very different from books I’ve read before. The books tells the story of a young man on the cusp of adulthood, whose life is irrevocably altered in the blink of an eye. Suddenly an orphan and paralyzed, Steven Maxwell has to learn how to navigate life in this new capacity.

His aunt and uncle lovingly take him in and make every accommodation to help him. He has some obstacles to overcome, both physical and mental, both within himself as with his surroundings and other people, which I think
Lynn Vandeworp
I was privileged to receive a copy of this book in return for my honest opinion. And i am so glad i did! This book was amazing. The story line is both familiar and unique. It was difficult to put it down and I found myself staying up much later than I should because of it. This book is filled with everything a great book needs and is a “must” for everyone! I hope you enjoy it as much as i did!
Juliana Ignácio
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading this book a few days ago, but I needed some time to process all the story and information.
I confess that the information regarding people with disabilities was very important, as I never had contact with anyone with Steven's type of disability. I already ask for forgiveness in advance if my words are not adequate, but I really don't know anything about people with disabilities. I live in Brazil, and unfortunately here there is still a lot of prejudice against people with disab
Sabrina
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a story that I will highly recommend. I have been a huge fan of D.A. Charles writting for years and especially the original story. Now getting the more appreciated opportunity to read the published version is just amazing.

Shattered book #1 start really pulls you into details of how is truly all begins. We are getting into more details of Steven's transitioning into the new phase of his life right after the tragic accident and how he learns not only to adapt but live! I really
WiLoveBooks
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
An emotional, realistic look into life with disabilities. The first 76% of the book is about Stephen and his struggles with living with a sudden disability as he adjusts to the changes and deals with his personal care, mobility issues, and personal relationships.
Finally we meet Abby and see how she deals with her disability. Her story felt a bit rushed after getting Stephen’s in so much detail. I wish we could have seen more of the two of them together. And the ending was pretty abrupt. I’m not
Chele
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is powerful story, this story is a journey through the lives of people so real, some you wish you could know, others you would need to smack. The characters are multi dimensional and the story line keeps you engaged. Shattered is a story that shows you that people with disabilities can live very fulfilled lives.
This is a 5 star read.
I recommend it to all.
Pat
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The storyline was wonderfully written and the characters were so well created that I was totally engrossed in this story until the very end!
FS Meurinne
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, reviews
This is the first published book by D.A. Charles and she kicked it out of the park. This book is one everyone should read, the storyline is not what most people read but that's exactly what makes it unique and perfect. When people try to overcome a change in their lives is difficult, add that a disability that turned it upside down not just for the person but for everyone involved around that person, their family. That change entails not only physical therapy but mental and emotional support as ...more
Martyk
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book gets all the stars. All of them! I honestly don’t know what to say here except that it was absolutely amazing. The amount of research the author must have done is unreal. Just go read this book.
Amie Kitch
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. This is D.A. Charles' first book, and I am impressed. She has been able to write about individuals with disabilities believably, not washing over the obstacles they face but showing them as they truly are. It is obvious she knows the subject matter she is dealing with. This is something I have found missing in many books. From the very beginning I found myself drawn in to Steven's story, watching the evolution of both him and of those closest to him. I am looking forw ...more
Kris Hawkins
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel like I have been waiting for this book to be published and released for a lifetime and I can’t express just how glad I am that it finally came to fruition. Having been a part of the story as it grew to now, I can only say that it got better with age.
So many of us do not understand what the world really looks like for those with disabilities. Myself included. But this book is one of those life view altering ones that make you really think and consider a different point of view.
D A Charle
Sally
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I applaud the author for championing the subject matter of a main character with a disability. She handled it with care and grace while educating her readers on the finer points of moving through life with as much gusto as possible. Her characters were very believable and likable, even when Steven, the main character was being a “brat”. At the beginning of the story he was only 18, so his “brattiness” was understandable under the circumstances. It was nice to see him progress beyond that and bec ...more
Daisy McDonald
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I am so thrilled that I can finally read this!
It gave everything it promised and more. Having read this tale in its infancy as a fanfic and now to read again as a wholly original and fully fledged novel fills me with so much joy.
Steven’s character is so well finished and the full rollercoaster of his ordeal has been orchestrated to perfection. Not only is this book so well written, but the frank and un-sugar coated realities of life with a disability are wonderfully portrayed.
Abigail’s
Gwen Hendrickson
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shattered is a great read about a young man that inspires many even after a tragic accident changes his life forever. You meet some incredible people on his journey that inspired him and helped to direct him on a path to realize his life passion to help people. This is a very authentic story and you will be inspired.
Darlene Hanna
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book will open your eyes and hearts. The trials that these disabled people to through. The ups, downs and respect these people deserve. The highs, lows, smiles and tears spark yourself to understand more. Read this great book by an amazing author who understands dissability.
My review will post in a few days. :)
Emily Conner Babcock
Melissa
Feb 04, 2020

• Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • When I Was You
  • A Secret for a Secret (All In, #3)
  • Dear Ava
  • Last Day
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • Blackout
  • The Sinner (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18)
  • Drowning in Stars
  • Taylor's Legendary Heart (The Sweethearts of Country Music #2)
  • Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17.5)
  • That Second Chance (Getting Lucky, #1)
  • ...And Then They Fell in Love
  • This Life II (This Life, #2)
  • Pucks & Penalties: Pucked Series Deleted Scenes and Outtakes Version 2.0 (Pucked, #6.5)
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Such Great Heights
  • Nightchaser (Endeavor #1)
D. A. Charles is a wife, mother and personal care provider by day, and enjoys writing into the wee hours of the night from her residence in the forest.

Dee’s roots began in nursing, but she found her passion providing Home and Community-based Care to individuals with disabilities and has done so for more than thirty-five years. D. A. enjoys the, sometimes challenging, scavenger hunt that is informa

News & Interviews