Start by marking “Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)” as Want to Read:
Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)

Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident

(Parasol Protectorate 0)

A Parasol Protectorate Prequel Short

From the comedic mind of New York Times bestseller Gail Carriger comes the much requested prequel short story to Soulless.

Alexia Tarabotti attends what appears to be a very dull London party, until the new werewolf Alpha turns up, is unconscionably rude to her, and sits on a hedgehog.

Don’t miss this charming novelette featuring the very
Expected publication: February 16th 2020 by Gail Carriger LLC

To ask other readers questions about Meat Cute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meat Cute

Start your review of Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
Brooke
Recommends it for: Fans of the Parasol Protectorate
Finally, the "Hedgehog Incident"! Anyone who has enjoyed the journey of Alexia and Connal will love this tale of their first encounter with one another. I thoroughly loved it. I was also extremely pleased to see who was responsible for the meeting! Well done!

I own both the SE Fan Service and now the audio book narrated by Emma Newman who is a delight to listen to.
Eva Decker
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gewohnt großartig!
Wie immer ein Genuss. Recht kurze Geschichte, aber Sprache und Witz sind einfach phänomenal
Jacqueline Garner
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful to finally know the story behind the hedgehog incident! Love the parasol universe! Wish there were more books to enjoy.
However, I do have one point I can't quite get past. In the very beginning, while at the punch bowl, Alexia's mother is inquiring as to the location of Alexia's missing gloves, and Alexia responds "why will there be vampires here?" this doesn't quite make sense to me as I was led to believe her mother was unaware of her soulless status.
Emily Casella
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this through purchased audio. It was actually fantastic to be back with Lord Maccon and Alexia. The narrator is great. It was a cute story and I've been wanting to reread Soulless since I got the special edition. This piqued my hunger to go back to these two. It is hilarious as always and the imagery of the location was fantastic. Also I do love a hedgehog.

Nicki
4* story 5* narration. Although this is the first book in the series, as the author says in the author's forward, it is best listened to as a prequel. The story doesn't really standalone but as a short combining main characters from two of my favourite series, like other fans, it's a five star for me
Terri
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I love both the Parasol Protectorate and Finishing School series, and this book brings them together - what fun! The audiobook increases to the enjoyment by adding another layer to the already brilliant world building. If you enjoy steampunk and alternate Victorian escapades, check out the Parasol Protectorate and any of Miss Gail's other wonderful series.
Ty Kuta
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this short story! A good peak behind the curtain to see the machinations at play. Fun to see Alexia (along with the Wicker Chicken and several other old favorites) in their element. I missed them!
Master Frankie
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O.M.G! I had no idea how much I need this short!! The cute Is off the scale of 0-5. I would have rated this story a million if I could. Adorable, sassy, and a lovely peek at the worlds’ most lovable couple (imho)! Miss Gail delivered hardcore with this one!
Elizabeth Moore
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun finding out what happened at the infamous hedgehog incident and returning to some of our favourite characters from the Parasol Protectorate! It also cheered me up whilst stuck at home with the flu
Jayme
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WICKER CHICKEN, MY HEART!! (insert giant heart eyes here) :)

Alexia has long been one of my favorite literary characters, Conall and Alexia one of my favorite couples, Lyall my favorite beta, Sophronia and Soap the best and sweetest team. Clearly, I can’t get enough of Gail Carriger stories. Meat Cute is like a little treat, just for me...for all fans, I’m sure. SO good, SO fun. ....I may listen to it again right now...
Debbie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun introduction to the main characters of the Parasol Protectorate and a great "How we met" backstory. Fans of Ms. Gail will love the references to the titular hedgehog and the infamous wicker chicken.
Madison
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get Fan Service, so I have been waiting for this to come out. The audio version is superb. I laughed out loud at one point. I had already preordered the Kindle version, so I will definitely be rereading this when it comes out next month.
Perla Villa
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kinda hoping for a bit more scandalous scenario of sitting on the hedgehog but I did enjoy it and I'm glad to finally know what happened when they met. Also, so excited to see some of my favorite character's again.
Skye
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love. So glad to get this prequel! Worth the wait
Caity
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so much finally knowing what happened with The Hedgehog Incident. If you're a Gail Carriger fan you'll love this pretty much guaranteed.
Becca
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun way to end the year.
Nichola
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how the aim of this is pure delight and fun. There is nothing serious intended in this at all. I love Carriger's writing and her sense of humor.
Danielle
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was cute and exactly what I needed.

And the whole thing played out how I had imagined it. At least one part did. :)

And seeing some old friends was a nice surprise .
Kelly
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
1st: read in Fan Service collection;
Melissa
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, romance
I absolutely adored this prequel to the Parasol Protectorate! It was so lovely to see my favorite characters again. I’m so glad Miss Gail has given us this addition to the parasolverse.
Jessica
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this cute little novella/short story. I miss all of the characters and loved reading from Alexia's pov. I also really enjoyed the ending.
Julie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, 2020
What a wonderful little novella! I love Gail Carriger’s world and this is a great bonus to see how an infamous couple met. The audiobook is well read and I adore listening to all the different character voices. The story is short and sweet, but full of little tidbits about the world and characters I love. There are even some appearances from characters I wasn’t expecting. As always Carriger’s story is mostly about the characters and the plot follows in a fun way.
Bookworm Erica
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Gail. Anything by her will be fun, funny, witty and in this case like coming home. The feels that come from knowing soap and sophronia are still in love is indescribable.

Love love love

Had to do a reread already
Annie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YES! Audio is available. Read Fan Service but Audio is delightful.

From Gail Carriger's Facebook:
"MEAT CUTE in audio direct from moi (read by Emma Newman): https://gumroad.com/l/meatcuteaudio

Will there be a print edition? Nope
Will there be a reprint of FAN SERVICE? Nope
Audio in other venues? I'm trying."
Alice
Jan 04, 2020
Vikki
Jan 06, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »
Gail Carriger Fan...: Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Prequel Short) 2 20 Dec 12, 2019 12:06PM

• Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer, #1)
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars)
  • The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
  • The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper
  • Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 1 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 1]
  • Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4)
  • A Matter of Loyalty (A Very English Mystery #3)
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • Nyxia Uprising (The Nyxia Triad, #3)
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #1)
  • Miss Nelson Is Back (Miss Nelson, #2)
  • Russell the Sheep
  • Bear Goes Shopping: A Guessing Game Story
  • Tacky's Christmas
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming ...more

Parasol Protectorate (5 books)
  • Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
  • Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
  • Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3)
  • Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4)
  • Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5)