Start by marking “Perfect on Paper” as Want to Read:
Perfect on Paper

Perfect on Paper

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  3,230 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews
In Perfect on Paper, Leah on the Offbeat meets To All the Boys I've Loved Before: a bisexual girl who gives anonymous love advice to her classmates is hired by the hot guy to help him get his ex back

Her advice, spot on. Her love life, way off.

Darcy Phillips:
• Can give you the solution to any of your relationship woes―for a fee.
• Uses her power for good. Most of the time.
Published March 9th 2021 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Perfect on Paper, please sign up.
emma zackarina.reads Nope, that's "The Half of it"! I have not read this book yet but they seem to have similar concepts. :)…moreNope, that's "The Half of it"! I have not read this book yet but they seem to have similar concepts. :)(less)
Sophie Gonzales Hi there! This book is set in California, America, and follows American characters. The only Australian character is Alexander Brougham, who moved to …moreHi there! This book is set in California, America, and follows American characters. The only Australian character is Alexander Brougham, who moved to California several years before the book takes place. Hope that helps! (less)

·  3,230 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews

Start your review of Perfect on Paper
Sophie Gonzales
Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is a subtweet.

I'm kidding (mostly!), but Perfect on Paper was born of some very confused, conflicting feelings. At the time of writing, I was working on a sapphic rom-com, which I was intending to be my next book (watch this space in the future!!), when something happened.

I've been writing bisexual characters for many years, but I'd always written them dating someone who shared their gender. Then, in OMD I wrote a bi character whose story culminated in a romance with someone of a dif
daph pink ♡
Full of cliche tropes and to slow for my liking, the only good thing was the end.
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: bi girl mc, trans sc, Vietnamese-American lesbian sc, bi sc, gay sc, pan nonbinary sc
tw: biphobia, internalised biphobia, toxic parents, drugs, alcohol, vomiting

If you’ve read Only Mostly Devastated, you probably more or less know what to expect here: teens who are allowed to make questionable choices & mistakes, and to learn from them; great dynamics between characters, be it friends, family or romantic partners; and of course great writing.

Perfect on Paper offers all that, and more.

Let’s
Irena BookDustMagic
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If I'm being honest, I don't even know where to start my review for Perfect on paper, so I'll just say...
This book was everything!

I have only read 4 ya books this year, and this novel reminded me how much I enjoy this genre, and how I happen to miss it, so in some way it can be said it inspired me to go more often for books from that genre.

Perfect on Paper has amazing cast of characters, with great lgbtq+ representation.
Our main character Darcy is bisexsual, her best friend is lesbian, her siste
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hands down! What a great mash up of Simon vs Homo sapiens agenda, Leah on the Offbeat meets Netflix’s Sex Education series, To All the boys I loved before is fresh baked from the oven with amazing LGBTQ representation!

Bisexual heroine, straight hero and gay, lesbian, trans supporting characters present us wide spectrum of sexual identity exploration of the young adults, challenges they face and learn to love true selves are well told by reflecting different perspectives honestly and realistical
C.G. Drews
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm sitting here in ALL the good feels right now, which is the perfect way to be when a book ends. It was so fun, but also so full of drama and mass bad decisions and absolute clueless numpties who need to jUST KISS ALREADY and it had some incredibly important things to say. After starting this year with falling in love with Only Mostly Devastated, I am a definite Gonzales romcom fan. 😍

relationship advice
I loved the premise of this! Darcy runs an anonymous relationship advice business. No one in
jenny✨
03/09/2021: HAPPY PUB DAY! 💙💜💖

Now THIS is the kind of teen rom-com fluff I could get behind! 🥺

I’ve been struggling lately to find quirky, lighthearted romances that I enjoy, but Perfect on Paper hit just the right notes.

The premise is oh-so-tropey and oh-so-good: Darcy Phillips is a high school junior, bisexual, member of the Queer & Questioning Club, daughter of the school’s science teacher. She’s also the person behind Locker 89, a mysteriously abandoned locker where everyone knows you ca
Storiesandcoffee
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, hs-romance
"You are queer, because you are, and who you fall for or date or kiss does not alter that. No one else can change you." - Sophie Gonzales

This. 👏🏻 Book. 👏🏻

Dynamic and diverse, Perfect on Paper is the YA romance I've been waiting for. The representation in this book is praiseworthy, with lovable characters and a fresh-voiced heroine who is flawed but self-aware.

A unique plot with a Dear Abby vibe, Perfect on Paper is about a girl named Darcy who uses an unclaimed locker and a secret alias to give
Steph
oh my goodness, what a wholesome read!!

it's a fluffy YA romcom, so perfect on paper is often predictable and cheesy. but it's such a sweet and easy book; the dialogue feels very real; and there's a diverse array of lgbt+ representation.

i snagged perfect on paper because of one element of the premise that's absolutely irresistible: our bi protagonist runs an anonymous relationship advice service for her fellow high school students.

like our protagonist, darcy, i love relationship shit. browsing r/
Corina
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book. It was poignant, interesting, sweet, sassy, entertaining and thoughtful.

The set up was refreshingly unique, focusing on a YA relationship column out of a locker with great relationship advice. The relationship advice was on point and incredibly thoughtful, loved it.

The main characters were all genuinely likeable, and I especially loved the sass between them all. Most of all I LOVED the writing, smart, witty and authentic. I had a blast reading the book, it was a fast and easy
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Apr 01, 2020 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: contemporary, lgbtqia
huh, well... I'm not a total fan of this cover... it's just kind of generic... very HarperTeen-y

-----------

i am here for the gay highschooler chaos

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Tijana
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Thank you St Martin Press for sending Perfect on Paper ARC my way. It was everything I ever needed!

Disclaimer: overall, this story deserves a solid 4-star-rating, but I can't rate less than 5 stars a book with such a wonderful representation.

fanna
May 20, 2020 marked it as high-priority-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-releases
↣ digital copy received via the netgalley ↢

May 26, 2020: We already have a cover?! That color tho. I like it!

May 20, 2020: After having loved Only Mostly Devastated, I'm ready to read everything that Sophie Gonzales writes so of course I'm excited for this one to release!
Holly | The Caffeinated Reader
This book revolves around Darcy, our bisexual main character who runs an anonymous relationship-advice service from an unoccupied locker in her school. She's been doing this successfully for the last two years without issue, that is, until she gets caught redhanded by the school heartthrob as she's retrieving the letters. Unfortunately for Darcy, this means he's able to blackmail her into being his own personal relationship advisor to help him win back his ex, and as you can probably guess, thi ...more
Emma Lord
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Y'all, I got to read the beginning of this when it was but a wee baby on proposal, and I adored it then and love every page of what it came to be! Sophie yet again gave us a narrator you root for from page one, and an ensemble of ridiculously lovable characters to boot. Don't miss out on this one, it'll hit you in all your feels <3. ...more
Hillary
Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hold on...
Before the full synopsis was released this book sounded a lot like Simon Vs, but now it actually really sounds like The Half of It and I’m like... very excited... and also emotional... ❤️
h o l l i s
It's always strange to like something but have complicated thoughts or feelings about aspects of it.. and yet still can't help but rate it highly. That's really where I'm at. I don't think this is going to be a particularly informative or cohesive review, just warning you now.

Overall I just want to say how happy I am that, conflicted confusedness aside, it is easier to like to this vs how I felt about ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED, which just didn't settle with me very well. The abovementioned was so m
tappkalina
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt-read, 2-star
So... I dnf'd it halfway through, because nothing really happened and I didn't like where the story was going, but then I wasn't in a mood for another book, so I was like, might as well finish this one.

And I'm happy I did. I guess. I listened to it on 2x speed and was still quite bored, but I really liked the end, and the relationship was my kind of sweet.
Iris
Second read, April 21st, 2021: hi so I love this book SO much!! I had so much time buddy reading this with Dezzy (aka one of my favourite humans <333), and it was also just so nice to be back with Darcy and Brougham and Ainsley and AHHHH I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH Y'ALL PLS

just!! ahhhh!! it's so good!!! go read this! kthanksbye!

First read review: I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. This has not affected my opinions in any way.

I’ve been putting off writing this review
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

OMG THIS SOUNDS LIKE JACK OF HEARTS MEETS TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE

YES YES YES
aarya

This is so good and so queer. I normally don’t read arcs six months ahead of publication date; I can’t wait until March 2021 so I can squeal about this book with other people.

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Larry H
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
In her newest book, Perfect on Paper , Sophie Gonzales gives us a cute YA rom-com that shows how the person giving advice is often the one most in need of taking it.

When students need relationship advice, there’s often only one place they turn—Locker 89. This is where they leave their letters asking for help—along with a contribution to pay for the advice. The system works pretty well, and the advice nearly always is correct.

Darcy is the person behind the operation, and no one has discovered
Melanie (mells_view)
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
“WHY IS LOVE DEAD?”
A bit dramatic, but that’s Darcy 🤣

Can I just start by saying that I appreciated the bi rep in this book so hard. I know not everyone is going to feel that way, but I am excited for it and I’m glad that someone will read this book and feel validated and seen by it.

ANYWAY, Darcy is our main character, and I honestly enjoyed her so much. She’s relatable for me in so many ways and the fact that she screws up and makes some selfish decisions, but then learns from them... yes, we lo
cossette
i'm in tears at this bi rep 🥺🥺🥺 rtc (and i actually mean rtc at some point) ...more
theresa
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Perfect on Paper is a heartwarming, feel good rom com that I’d recommend to contemporary lovers everywhere! With a perfect balance of lighthearted high school fun and nuanced exploration of important themes, Sophie Gonzales has created an utterly spectacular story.

I adored so much about this novel, in particular the writing style – it was quick and easy to read and gripped me from the first page. It also effortlessly conveyed the humour and emotions of the characters and carried the story perfec
Kelly
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-read, 2020-arcs
I loved this book so much. I loved the representation and I loved the romance between Darcy and Alexander. This book (kinda) had a love triangle since our heroine has been in love with her best friend for a long time but it's clear that she doesn't feel the same for her. It's one-sided and after a while, we see a shift in Darcy. One that she doesn't seem to understand immediately. Because she's starting to really like the boy who paid her for giving her advice on how to get his ex-girlfriend bac ...more
Christy
4 stars

I had so much fun reading this book! It was exactly the kind of YA book I love. It was fun, emotional, had loveable characters, and was incredibly diverse. Darcy was our main character and I thought she was fantastic. I loved the letter answering/advice giving aspect of the story so much. I wasn't sure who the love interest would be at first. She has a massive crush on her best friend, Brooke, but there is also this guy, Alexander... I absolutely love who she ended up with and how this on
Madison Mary
Mar 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"It’s when bisexuals start to believe the biphobia they’re surrounded by. We’re told that our sexuality isn’t real, or that we’re straight if we’re with another gender, and that our feelings don’t count if we’ve never dated a certain gender, that kind of crap. Then we hear it so many times we doubt ourselves."

Perfect on Paper is a queer rom-com about navigating the relationships around you, both platonic and romantic. How even when you are queer, you feel like you don't fit in as queer - and the
book bruin
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Edited 3/11/21
Audiobook Review
Overall 5 stars
Performance 5 stars
Story 4.5 stars

I loved revisiting these characters through the audiobook. Barrie Kreinik did such an amazing job voicing all of the different characters and accents. I was worried that Brougham wouldn't live up to my Australian dreams, but Barrie Kreinik really nailed it! Definitely recommend enjoying this on audio if you can.

*****

Perfect on Paper was smart, thoughtful, funny, and everything I love about YA and more. This i
mace
This book is for the bisexuals. It really has the kind of bisexual representation we need more of.

Darcy anonymously gives relationship advice to students who drop letters into Locker 89, and her business is successful, perhaps just a bit too successful. When she is caught one day opening the locker by Alexander Brougham, he asks her for help with winning his girlfriend back, only this proves to be a bit more complicated than the relationship advice Darcy normally gives…

As I said, this book truly

• Amelia Unabridged
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Ophelia After All
  • Tweet Cute
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • You Have a Match
  • I Think I Love You
  • Field Notes on Love
  • As Far As You'll Take Me
  • She Drives Me Crazy
  • Evermore (The Immortals, #1)
  • Through the Woods
  • Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
  • Cool for the Summer
Sophie Gonzales writes young adult queer contemporary fiction with memorable characters, biting wit and endless heart.

She is the author of THE LAW OF INERTIA, ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED and PERFECT ON PAPER. IF THIS GETS (co-written with Cale Dietrich) is forthcoming in Fall 2021 from Wednesday Books / Macmillan.

When she isn’t writing, Sophie can be found ice skating, performing in musical theatre, a

Articles featuring this book

“Setting aside the messiness of which accents were considered sexy in which cultures and why, accents in general were nature’s way of saying, “Procreate with that one, their gene code must be varied as fuck.” Few things, it seemed, could turn a person on as quickly as the subconscious realization they almost certainly weren’t flirting with a blood relative.” 4 likes
“Brougham arrived at Mom’s house to join in on my birthday cake holding a plate of white bread coated in sugar sprinkles, for some reason.” 2 likes