Start by marking “Mistakes by the Lake” as Want to Read:
Mistakes by the Lake

Mistakes by the Lake

Set in Cleveland, Ohio, from its earliest beginnings as a forested frontier to the urban blight of modern times, Mistakes by the Lake is a collection of ten thematically-linked stories spanning the many faces of the city’s history:

--a motorman navigates his 1920’s back-and-forth trolley until he snaps;
--a stockyards knocker encounters the Virgin Mary during the 1954 World
Published May 28th 2020 by Madville Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mistakes by the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistakes by the Lake

Start your review of Mistakes by the Lake
Lori
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the atmospherics of this collection of 10 stories which are centered around a lake I frequent.

Each story teaches us to be honest with ourselves and recognize that choices provide the construct of our lives and have an influence on the people we care about. What I like best is the stories provide an exploration of the fundamental aspects of humanity.

I received a copy of this book through the generosity of the author.

In truth, there's loads of history in this cleverly written collec
Hollis Queens
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
I'll always remember the Little League Pledge, and the part promising 'but win or lose, I will always do my best' reminds me there is beauty in the effort.
Brian Petkash's story collection of historical fiction relating to Cleveland, Ohio is linked not only in place, but in the shared struggle as people strive for a better life. Unfortunately for Brian's characters, they are not completely successful in their endeavors, but their stories are no less beautiful (and beautifully told).
I met Brian at
Jennie Rosenblum
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Chronologically from past to present, this author presents a novella and collection of short stories circulating in Cleveland. All of the stories are character-driven with Cleveland as the base. If you are looking for happy endings – this is not it, but instead, through serious and intense characters, your heart is tugged through emotions.

At times I needed to set the book aside until I felt strong enough to pick it back up again. And I did want to pick it back up as the book is compelling. The
Urvashi Jain
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mistakes by the Lake by Brian Petkash is a collection of nine short stories and a novella, which has the same title as the book.

In the first nine stories, each of which is almost ten pages long, we met several people- Jacob, Oswald, Jerry and Johannes amongst others. The last story, titled Mistakes by the Lake, is about Hal and his friends who do odd jobs, as deconstructors, to earn their income. They also have secondary sources of income, most of which are not appreciated by people in general.
Rutuja Ramteke
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is a very beautiful and authentic collection of stories, all the ten stories have one thing in common, they don't leave the readers once you start reading. Most of the times, while reading short stories, I feel they are usually plot driven but I loved this book more because the stories are character driven, within very few pages, you get to met characters who are going to stay with you and make you feel good, bad and are going to evoke all sorts of feelings in you.
The book is titled after
R. Johnson
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding debut. You'll still be thinking about the stories in this book weeks after you read them. ...more
Destiny Brown
Jan 22, 2021

• The Fire Next Time
  • I AM SHADE
  • The Road from Raqqa: A Story of Brotherhood, Borders, and Belonging
  • The Serpent and the Eagle (Tenochtitlan Trilogy)
  • You Were Not Born to Suffer: Overcome Fear, Insecurity and Depression and Love Yourself Back to Happiness, Confidence and Peace
  • Knee Deep
  • Nikau's Escape (Adventures of Jabu & Friends Book 3)
  • Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir
  • Fierce Girls (Fierce Girls at War #1)
  • Pivot (Jack Harper Trilogy, #1)
  • A Woman Is No Man
  • Plum Rains
  • Carry: A Memoir of Survival on Stolen Land
  • Etchings of the First Quarter of 2020
  • The Christmas Gift
  • Chasing Hope
  • The Elizabeth Street Epiphany: A Bennett & DeMarko Mystery
  • A Time of Prophecy (The Outlands Pentalogy #5)
Brian grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, a focal point of much of his writing (and much of his sports heartache). A former high school literature and creative writing teacher, he lives in Tampa and works as a marketing professional in both the game and comic book industries.

Brian holds an MFA in Creative Writing from University of Tampa. His work has appeared in El Portal, Bridge Eight Literary Magazine,

News & Interviews