Start by marking “When You Get the Chance” as Want to Read:
When You Get the Chance

When You Get the Chance

Following cousins on a road trip to Pride as they dive into family secrets and friendships, When You Get the Chance is a contemporary YA novel, perfect for fans of David Levithan and Becky Albertalli, and for readers looking for a story of friendship and family.

As kids, Mark and his cousin Talia spent many happy summers together at the family cottage in Ontario, but a
Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Running Press Kids

To ask other readers questions about When You Get the Chance, please sign up.
Zack Peggy, there are 272 pages in this book. Although, that may vary with different editions.

Start your review of When You Get the Chance
Kai
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, to-buy
doesn't it fill you with eternal happiness seeing how fiercely and unapologetically GAY queer covers look these days?
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
OMG!!
A queer family road trip to one of my favourite cities!?
HELL YES!!!
Where was this book all my life!?

Also the cover is so LGBTQ+ that I want to buy this just to look at it!
C.G. Drews
This was thoroughly wholesome and lovely. I am here for more quiet queer family-centric books in 2020 thank you so much. This is about estranged family who come together to tidy up and maybe sell their grandmother's cottage. It's set in Canada too! I thought there was only piles of moose and pine trees in Canada so I learned a lot! (I mean, there were no meese in here at all. The stereotypes lie.) And just reading about cousins becoming friends, and exploring the complex (and often strained) ...more
Boston
DNF at 54%. *sigh* between the lack of knowledge about bisexuality and the unlikeable main characters I really can’t bring myself to finish this
Sam
Jul 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
“super queer, super Canadian”
Say no more. I’m in.
Anna (RattleTheShelves)
***Thank you Netgalley for providing a free eARC***

This book was exactly what I expected: a fast, fun, queer read. What I didn't expect was that it's also Canadian (I imagine there is a hint on the cover... and in the description) which made it all the better because Canadian books are always more relatable than American. (That's why we insist that Canada is a honorary European country)

It's told from two POVs: Mark, a gay high school senior from Halifax (and honestly a bit of a self-absorbed
Caleb Roehrig
I can already tell this is a book I’ll be bringing up for a long time, because I feel like I’ve got too much to say to put my thoughts together coherently. It’s about all the ways in which queerness is a unique and personal experience, but also about how it unites and creates community out of diverse identities. It celebrates queer history, and it celebrates queer modernity, and it captures the beauty of what it means to be born under the rainbow.
rachel ☾

Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Paula
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hate-shelf
The Arc of this books was provided by the publishers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

(English/Español)

-In a Nutshell: Two annoying and unlikable teenagers.

-MC: Mark (the jerk jock) and Talia (the social justice warrior)

-Plot: Mark and Talia are cousins who haven't seen each other for years after their parents had a fight. But with the death of their grandfather, the family reunites again and Talia and Mark take advantage of this trip to spend time in Toronto. Mark wants to go to
Amy
Nov 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am honestly living for this cover
*heart eyes*
sarah
*arc provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
Goodness, how I loved this book! Its not often I find a book told in two perspectives where I truly enjoy both POVs- but Talia and Mark were both so great to read from! Clocking in at just under 300 pages, When You Get the Chance follows two queer cousins as they navigate family drama, being teens, and relationships. As a Canadian, I loved the setting of Toronto/Muskoka interspersed with stories from both coasts- Victoria and Halifax
Enci
Feb 06, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
In case anyone wants to read this, this is freely available on Netgalley rn. Just saying.

(I might have jumped onto it already and will be reading it soon. Gimme all the rainbows.)
Zack
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book felt like a celebration of diversity and inclusivity. A celebration of the fact that more and more books like this are being published every year. Packed full of open and earnest discussions about gender expression and sexual orientation, reading this was a joy from start to finish.

Mark is a very self-absorbed character, and was not always the easiest to root for. He wastes no time trying to see from the perspectives of others, and rarely thinks about how his actions are directly
Linda
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5

I love stories about (found) family and friendship! I love them even more when they're queer. So you've guessed right: I loved this book.

When their grandfather dies, the cousins Talia and Mark (and his little sister Paige) are send to clean out the cottage of their grandparents. Things don't go as planned and somehow they end up driving to Toronto Pride. Mark wants to have good time and celebrate Pride, while Talia wants to meet with her partner Erin and talk about their relationship
Kim
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really good feel good LGBTQ+ story!

At first I was a little confused, because the book startet out with 100 topics and none of them were explained enough for me. But as the book went on, I learned some things about the LGBTQ+ community I didn't know before. It's a great novel for easy and fun learning. For example about non binary, a little bit about Canadian history and other topics everyone should know about.
There are also other topics like ghosting, not belittling children or
Jamie Coudeville
This was such a fun, quick read. I really liked the dual perspective. I loved Paige. She was so adorable. I also liked how educational this was. Like when they talked about lgbt history and when they try to explain non-binary to Paige. Overall a really great book. Totally recommend it.
Danielle
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-lit
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

When I first started looking up 2020 book releases, this book was one of the first ones I saw, and I immediately gravitated toward it. A YA contemporary in which two queer teens set off on an epic summer road trip bound toward Pride? This sounded exactly like the kind of queer novel I’ve always wanted to exist, plus an indie movie that I would instantly watch. So I was immensely thrilled when I got the
InLouOfEverything
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ownvoice, lgbtq
I am beyond excited about this Canadian road trip! I am looking forward to reading this book with a dear friend. We have already decided that we will each begin by only reading through one character at a time, and comparing the story as we go. She will be reading Talia's perspective and I, Mark's.
Lauren
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review (thank you NetGalley!)

What I liked:

Paige! She's Mark's little sister and she is the best character in the entire book, hands down.

The diversity: this is a very queer book, in a multitude of ways, some of which don't get a lot of attention in Young Adult genre books. I also loved that there were older LGBT characters. Too often the older generation gets forgotten about, and we lose some of our history because of
val
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Complicated? She asks. What’s complicated is trying to exist in a world that doesn’t acknowledge your identity. What’s complicated is dealing with people who mock the way you choose to refer yourself.”

*ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY*

Talia and Mark are two haven’t seen each other in years but a family tragedy brings them back together. Unfortunately, the only thing that they have in common is being queer. Talia spends her days wanting to be with her partner, Erin who moved to Toronto. Mark just to
Jeff
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclosure - Robin and Tom are friends of mine).
I'm friends with the authors which got me to read the book. But the fact that it is so much fun, so well done, and just a great story kept me reading.
The ideas here, of defining one's self, of having others define you of trying to be the person you want to be, of the difficulties and near impossibility of ever really knowing who you want to be, and yet, in the end, understanding that we're all changing all the time.... it's all here.
The
Sabrina
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
caroline
my thanks to netgalley for this arc!

when you get the chance is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. i found it somewhat slow at the beginning, but about halfway through it picks up enough that i basically finished the rest in one sitting. paige really pushed the story along, more than mark or talia- i would have loved some of her narration, because she has a ton of spunk.
this book tries to do a lot- arguably, too much- which is a large reason for the dragging beginning; there is a lot
Fotini
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, netgalley
I absolutely LOVED this book! It's such a fun, easy, and heartfelt read with an amazing cast of characters and a great plot.

I really enjoyed the family dynamic of the book and how the POVs of Mark and Talia allows the reader to get a glimpse into their lives separately and together. There was a good balance between their POVs as well and a balance in the plot as well.

My favourite aspect of this book was the character development of particularly Mark and Talia. They both had some negative traits
Kelsee Evans
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-books
This book was so sweet! It took me a minute to get into but once I got there I couldn’t stop reading! It’s Canadian, it’s very very queer, there was a crazy adventure to Pride in Toronto and the characters were amazing to watch grow throughout the story.
First there was Mark, who drove me nuts at the beginning of the story. But he definitely grew over the course of the story and seemed to become aware of some of his shortcomings, which I totally understand is a hard thing to do at 17. Second was
Greyson | Use Your Words

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review.
___
BlogInstagramTwitterTumblr
Hanna Fogel
Thanks to Running Press Kids (~*grad school internship memz*~) for the ARC! Enjoyed this one quite a bit, though it made this Canadian expat homesick too, being from Toronto and having been to cottage country.
Kathleen
Queer content: Talia's queer, Mark is gay, roadtrip to Toronto Pride
Jes Reaver
Feb 08, 2020
Casey Jo
Dec 31, 2019

• Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Like a Love Story
  • Coraline
  • The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Julián Is a Mermaid
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Technically, You Started It
  • Eleanor & Park
  • Orbiting Jupiter
  • To Night Owl from Dogfish
  • The Mighty Heart of Sunny St. James
  • Star-Crossed
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • The Boy Who Steals Houses
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
Tom Ryan is the author of several books for young readers. He has been nominated for several awards, and two of his young adult novels, Way to Go and Tag Along, were chosen for the ALA Rainbow List, in 2013 and 2014. He was a 2017 Lambda Literary Fellow in Young Adult Fiction. Tom, his husband, and their dog currently divide their time between Toronto and Nova Scotia.