Start by marking “Reaching for the Moon” as Want to Read:
Reaching for the Moon

Reaching for the Moon

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
I walked on the moon. This is my journey. But it didn't begin when I stepped on board Apollo 11 on July 1, 1969. It began the day I was born.

Becoming an astronaut took more than education, discipline, and physical strength. It took years of determination and believing that any goal is possible—from riding a bike alone across the George Washington Bridge at age ten to makin
Published May 20th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Reaching for the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reaching for the Moon

Courtney
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: odu-libs
Genre: Autobiography
Summary: This autobiography is based on Buzz Aldrin’s life and his dream of becoming an astronaut. Evan as a small child, he knew wanted to be in space, starting by joining the air force and eventually becoming one of the first astronauts to the moon.

Critique:
a. The area for critique is the style
b. The style of this autobiography is very much like a story. Instead of just facts or a simple timeline, Aldrin briefly talks about all stages of his life from a child up to his big
Teresa Gartland
Reaching for the Moon is an autobiography of the Astronaut Buzz Aldrin; it is also a picture book. This autobiography is great for elementary students because it is laid out like a story so it would be easy for younger students to understand and become engaged in. Aldrin talks about his life, how he always wanted to become an astronaut and what it was like to go to the moon. He is very descriptive in his writing and gives the readers a look at what it was like to go to the moon and the illustrat ...more
Laurie
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Citation: Buzz Aldrin Reaching for the Moon, by Buzz Aldrin. (Harper Collins, 2005). 40p. Biography.

Summary: This narrative biography gives the reader a clear understanding of one of the first moon explorers.

Critique: (a.) The plot is successful in outlining events that led up to Buzz Aldrin’s steps on the moon. Aldrin chronicles his life and the choices he made that impacted his career.

(b.) The book provides the reader with a clear outline of Aldrin’s life. Important facts are presented in a l
Ally Lybbert
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eled-340
Autobiography.
I was SO excited to read this. I think it's cool for my student to be able to read the story of Buzz Aldrin and the Apollo mission in his own words. I would love to teach my students about the value of first person accounts when studying historic events. I thought the illustrations were great.
The problem is, that this book is too long to use in a read aloud setting. Maybe this could work as like a mini research resource where the students have to summarize and present about a his
Cara Hanson
Awards: none

Appropriate Grade Level: Kindergarten to Grade 4

Summary: Reaching for the Moon is the autobiography of Buzz Aldrin. Highlights include his childhood fascination with flying, his determination to become an astronaut even after he was rejected from the astronaut program, and the awesome experience of being one of the first men to set foot on the moon. The book also includes a timeline which describes a century of space exploration.

Review: For young space enthusiasts, this book is bound
Allison Webster
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book belongs in the genre of biography/autobiography.

This book details Buzz Aldrin's journey to the moon. This story tells not only of Aldrin's space career, but also his childhood.

The area for critique is for plot. The plot of this autobiography reads like a story. This aspect makes the book more approachable for younger readers. Unlike the dry facts of other biographies/autobiographies, this book engages reader with both content and plot.

This book can be integrated into the curriculum
Jan Rue
Written by Buzz Aldrin (2005) & illustrated by Wendell Minor. Great biography picture book about astronauts, reaching the moon, and Apollo 11. Since it is about his life, Buzz tells it in first person and readers get a different feel as the story unfolds. He explains how he became interested in the moon and traveling to it. He gives the account of actually being on the moon with Neil Armstrong. It is an amazing story and one I remember watching on the TV in 3rd grade at school. There are a l ...more
Jim
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
terrific autobiography, i learned a lot.

as a kid aldrin collected rocks, as an adult he did the same.
"Buzz" is explained, luck his sister didn't call him stinky.
one of the apollo 1 astronauts, ed white, was the friend that suggested aldrin apply to nasa.
aldrin is a genius - doctorate from MIT in aeronautics.

and Wendell Minor's art. there is a beautiful illo of the plane aldrin's father took him up in as a two year old. and the illustrations from the moon suggest minor was an apollo stowaway.
Sarah George
1) Genre: Biography
2) This inspirational book written by Buzz Aldrin teaches the reader about his life. The beautiful paintings along with the words tell the interesting story of this influential American's life.
3) a. Paintings
b. The illustrator, Wendell Minor, created beautiful pieces of artwork within this book.
c. For example: One of the pages in the book shows Buzz on top of the space craft in space.
4) Content Connection: This would be a good opener for a lesson on Buzz Aldrin's life and/or
Jessica Lane
Reaching for the Moon is the autobiography of astronaut Buzz Aldrin. He writes about how he was always a driven and independent person, even as a kid.

I really enjoyed reading Reaching for the Moon. I didn't know very much about Buzz Aldrin, and I really liked learning about him. His story is one that makes you want to try harder at whatever you're doing.

This would be a great nonfiction book to read to a class. Not only would the kids be learning about a historical figure, but it would open up
Susan
Story of determination, perseverance and hard work characterize the life and accomplishments of Buzz Aldrin whether it was collecting rocks, riding his bike, participating in sports or heading off to West Point where he later trained as an Army pilot. Wanted to be astronaut and went back to study aeronautics. did orbiting, space walks and one of the crew with Neil Armstrong to fly Apollo 11 to the moon, land and walk on it’s surface. Reach for your dreams. interesting letter and bio at back abou ...more
Mrs. Wynn
I LOVE the art of Wendell Minor, and kids love space stories, so this one's a hit. I pair it with Moonshot: the Flight of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca, also beautifully illustrated.

I find both titles mentioned above appropriate for grades 2-5. Everyone will learn something. The thing most kids are amazed by is the fact that all those Apollo astronaut footprints will still be on the moon generations--if not millions of years--from now...provided nothing else lands or steps on them. No atmosphere, no
Arinn Wall
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buzz Aldrin's picture book autobiography, Reaching for the Moon, tells the story of how he came to be one of the astronauts to land on the moon in the Apollo. This books shows his childhood interests, college and military accomplishments, and eventually NASA missions; and it shows his determination and dreams throughout it all.
I really liked this book and thought it was very interesting. I thought the illustrations were beautiful.
I would use this book in class anytime we are talking about space,
Suzannah Thompson
Buzz Aldrin was a hero, but many do not know his story. The reader learns about his childhood and what made him dream about space. We follow him all the way to the moon.

I loved the book. It took real life and told it as the story it is. The Apollo mission was miraculous and I loved how that magic came off the page.

I would use this in therapy to talk about ambition, goals, and dreams. I highly recommend it.
Mary Bennett
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buzz Aldrin Reaching for the Moon is a wonderfully written biography. Children will be memorized by the illustrations alone. The book is easy for young students to read and understand Aldrin's remarkable life. This book can be used in classrooms to teach students about Aldrin and space travel. I would recommend this book for any elementary classroom. Students will enjoy the book because it is visually appealing and simple to read.
Taryn Loyd
This is an autobiography about Buzz Aldrin. The book starts from his childhood, and goes to him preparing and completing the trip to the moon. Aldrin talks about various things that happened to him as a child, and the lessons he learned from it.

I would include this book in my classroom, I think it's incredible story about not giving up on your dreams. It's also an autobiography, which would useful when learning about the differences between biographies and autobiographies.
Amy
My niece, nephew, and I loved this book. Buzz Aldrin really did a fantastic job of telling this story and of making me feel what Americans must have felt when we first landed on the moon. The kids were riveted by the story, and I loved that they were listening to the lessons Buzz was teaching about working hard, following your dreams, serving your country, and exploration. It's just an awesome book, and the pictures are fantastic as well.
H Wells Lucas
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Outstanding from cover to cover, I love spaceflight and have since I was young. In fourth grade we were asked
to do a report on a famous American, I still remember searching for information about my subject, Neil
Armstrong, it was 1978. This book Is not only informational, but the paintings featured are exquisite. One of
my favorite books in my collection, the appendix features an easy-to-understand aviation timeline.
Leah Koch
This is a great autobiography for students who are fascinated by space AND those who need a little motivation to be more interested in science. The fascinating story written by Buzz Aldrin himself explains to readers why he decided to become an astronaut and what it was like to walk on the moon. The book is sure to engage students of all levels of scientific interest.
Julie
This autobiography has very good sequence to it. It is written in order and makes it easy for children to understand. Although it is historical and informational, I believe many children would enjoy this book. I like the idea of "reaching for the moon". Each child has his or her own moon and should be pushed toward achieving their goals as much as possible.
Matthew
Who would have thought that Buzz Aldrin could write so well? The entire story was superbly done, not the boring tome that so many famous individuals choose to write about their lives. I was thoroughly impressed with the entire tale. It was a great read, well written and illustrated. Of course, anytime you get a Wendall Minor book, you know you're getting top-of-the-line illustrations.
Samantha Catalano
What a great book. Through the amazing pictures by Wendell Minor I would say that he did a fantastic job creating the magical visions of landing on the moon. This autobiography is written so that children can follow the life of the dreamer named Edwin Eugene who one day walks on the moon. The story is beautifully written and is appealing to children and adults alike.
Jenny
I really enjoyed this autobiography of Buzz Aldrin's life. I love the paintings by Wendell Minor...they beautifully illustrate the determination and bravery Buzz showed as well as the adventure and historical significance of Apollo 11's trip to the Moon. I love that it mentions a few setbacks that Aldrin experienced and how he overcame them.
Dennis Liverani
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. I liked the illustrations a lot. I believe all children have dreams or a vision as to what they want to become when they get older. I feel that this book can have a positive effect on any child's dream.
Hillvan
Engaging illustrations, that draw you into the story. The book is an autobiography. Mr. Aldrin shares his thoughts and dreams and beliefs, intermixed with the facts and process his life took. A very interesting story.
Wyoming Mrs.K
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 7-12 years old
Shelves: read-as-a-family
Fascinating, fast paced story that tells the life of Buzz Aldrin. This was a great story to read to my children, 7 & 10, to subtly teach perseverance and hard work. I loved that it was written in the first person so you feel like he's talking directly to you about his experiences!
Ralf Urbach
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nsta
Great read for youngsters on dreams and aspirations on becoming a space man. Loved how this gave us an inside look at Buzz Aldrins childhood and all of the things he did as a youngster. Good illustrations to go along with an easy read.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
written from his point of view, very easy to read in child language.
Stephanie
A great message in a children's book...dream big and don't let obstacles hold you back. An autobiographical story of Buzz Aldrin and his journey from childhood to the moon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Gregor Mendel: The Friar Who Grew Peas
  • The Daring Nellie Bly: America's Star Reporter
  • Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
  • The Moon Book
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai (Frances Foster Books)
  • Diego Rivera: His World and Ours
  • Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11
  • The First Thanksgiving
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street
Buzz Aldrin (born Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr., January 20, 1930) is an engineer and former American astronaut, and the second person to walk on the Moon. He was the lunar module pilot on Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing in history. He set foot on the Moon at 03:15:16 (UTC) on July 21, 1969, following mission commander Neil Armstrong. He is also a retired colonel in the United States Air Forc ...more
More about Buzz Aldrin...