Start by marking “The Rearranged Life of Oona Lockhart” as Want to Read:
The Rearranged Life of Oona Lockhart

The Rearranged Life of Oona Lockhart

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  3,300 ratings  ·  834 reviews
Brooklyn, 1982. Oona Lockhart is about to celebrate her 19th birthday and ring in the New Year. But at the stroke of midnight, she is torn from her friends and boyfriend, finding herself in her fifty-one-year-old body, thirty-two years into the future.

Greeted by a friendly stranger, Oona learns that on every birthday she will enter a different year of her adult life at
Published March 5th 2020 by Gollancz (first published February 25th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Rearranged Life of Oona Lockhart, please sign up.
Anita T. H. Olsen No. There are sad moments, but there are also very fun and joyous moments. Oh, and some disturbing...frustrating...
Andrea Lutterman Yes, I liked that when she leaped into a future year she learned where each of her relationships were at in that particular year and then she had to…moreYes, I liked that when she leaped into a future year she learned where each of her relationships were at in that particular year and then she had to decide if she would attempt to alter the outcome when she leaped into a year in the past.

Some leaps (chapters) focus more on love relationships, while others focus on her relationship with her mother, or friendships, or her relationship with herself.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Rearranged Life of Oona Lockhart
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy, WTH I just finished! My head should stop spinning! Whats that smell? Did I burn the dinner again? Oh, no I havent cooked anything for 2 years. There is an alarm sensing my footsteps as I take only one step in the kitchen. So it cant be!

What a minute! This is coming from my brain cells! Theyre burning! I overused them. What a mind bending, innovative, unconventional, complex reading I had! Wow! After reading this, I got a NewYearsEvephobia!

Imagine yourself as nineteen years old (I
Larry H
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
As if life isnt complicated enough without time travel?

How long til my soul gets it right?
Indigo Girls, Galileo

NYC, 1982. Its New Years Eve. At midnight, Oona will turn 19. Shes exactly where she wants to beat a party with her beloved boyfriend and friends, and their band is about to perform. She has a tough decision to make: should she go study economics in London or should she stay and perform with the band? But regardless of what she chooses to do, she knows its going to be a great
Berit☀️✨
Wow what a book! The perfect blend of angst, romance, pop-culture, and time travel. When I read the blurb for this book I was intrigued, sounded like such a fun concept. And while this book was a lot of fun it was SO much more! Thought-provoking and emotional. The book really gave you lots to think about, what would you do if you were in Oonas shoes? Are there parts of your past you would change, even if it altered your future? There was also much more emotional depth to this story than I was ...more
Anne Bogel
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounded up from 3.5 stars.

The premise caught my attention: what if one woman doesn't live her life linearly, but completely out of order, one year at a time?

On the eve of her nineteenth birthday, Oona is in a good place: at a New Year's Eve party with the man she loves, counting down to both the new year and a new year in her own life. But just as the clock strikes midnight, Oona passes outand wakes up as a 51-year-old, in an unfamiliar place, greeted by a stranger who expects this to happen,
Nursebookie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a creative book about a young woman, who every year during New Years Eve on her birthday wakes up into a random time of her life. She can wake up in the future or the past and get to live her life for that year.

I found the story made me look at my own life and pondered the pivoting choices we have made causing major life changes. The career we choose, our partners in life, or the small decisions we make each day all cumulate to how our lives trajectory will be. In the end, we live
Ema
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK
THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I'VE READ ALL YEAR
(one of three, at least. I have only said this about three books and it's almost October, so. Take me with a grain of salt, but ONLY ONE grain of salt because I'm TELLING you, this BOOK!)

This is very high concept, and I'm a huge sucker for high concept, especially ones like this. I, once again, did not read the blurb or any copy before diving into this one and it was a great decision. I'll have to evaluate in a few days and see if I'm
Jessica Jeffers
I loved this book so much that my only real complaint is that I think it should have been written as a series so that we could spend more time in each of Oona's asynchronous years.
Suzanne thebookblondie
Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore (#9 in 2020)

Thank you to @libro.fm and @flatironbooks for my advanced audio version of this newbie!

If I could describe this book, it would be a combination of Thirteen Going on Thirty (yusss, Jennifer Garner) mixed with the ghost of Christmas past from A Christmas Carol... mixed with any 90s primetime sitcom accompanied by a laugh track of fake audience members. I mean that... exactly as you're thinking I mean it. Now here we go with my unpopular opinion:
Jordy’s Book Club
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
QUICK TAKE: If Rebecca Searle's THE DINNER LIST and Blake Crouch's RECURSION had a book baby...this book is a heartfelt, emotional, genre-bending blast. I need sequels, Margarita!!
Olive
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: olr-reviews
The below review originally appeared on Open Letters Review.

How many of us have looked forward to the coming year and, knowing precisely whats coming, wish we could skip the year entirely and live a different one, either in our pasts or farther down the line? When making this wish, however, few of us would sign our names on the dotted line, tying ourselves to that future, if we found out that the next year ahead of us would be a completely random one. The titular Oona in Margarita Montimores
Laura • lauralovestoread
What a surprisingly compelling story. I honestly havent read that many travel-esque novels, but Im a fan! I just loved the way Oona bounced back around at different time periods of her life, and I found myself completely entranced to see what part of her life I would get to see next.

*Thank you Flatiron Books for the gifted copy for review. All opinions are my own
Kristin (Always With a Book)
I may not in general be a fan of time travel books, but this one completely captured my heart and maybe it was Oona herself, but there is just something about this book that I loved. As soon as I heard about it, I knew I had to read it and I'm so glad I did. It's a quirky, thought-provoking tale that will stay with you long after you finish it.

Would you be happy if you were to know all that is to come in your life? If you somehow knew everything that was going to happen, good and bad and maybe
~Annabelle~ ♥♠
I tried to fall hard for this book and i think that was the problem with this one. The storyline was really captivating and touching but i found it mostly boring.

I don't really read time travel books but this sort of time traveling was strange. I really want to ask, why did the book start with a blank memory and it wasn't subsequently blank each year? I think that was one of the reasons i rated this book low. I didn't understand the time traveling in this book.
Jess | thegreeneyedreader
4/5 stars - thanks to @librofm #partner for providing me with this gifted audiobook. I loved so many parts of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Oona, even if it was out of order.

The time uncontrollable time- traveling aspect of the book was such a fun concept. Was there holes in this time-traveling theory that went unexplained? Yes, like most time-traveling books, there were parts that didnt quite add up, but that didnt take much away from the heartwarming story.

Overall, this was a
Nicole Meyer
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I initially gave this 4 stars, but changed it to 5 after I couldn't stop thinking about it. At the stroke of midnight on each New Year's, which is also Oona's birthday, she starts a new year, but not like everybody else. She "leaps" to different ages, but not in chronological order. This is a really unique concept for me, and I don't think I've ever read something quite like it. Since you are learning about Oona's life out of order with her, it's impossible to predict what will happen next. It ...more
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
I wanted to love this book. Time travel is one of my favorite tropes so I was excited for a new spin. I loved the first half of the book, but quickly tired of Oona's negative attitude and horrible decision making skills. I'm clearly in the minority (which seems to be happening a lot lately) because people are loving this story. The ending was nice with a good message, but I didn't really get it until the end.
Michelle
Definitely in the minority in this one. Oona drove me crazy.

Well, I saw enough like minded reviews not to feel *too* absurd in giving this only 3 stars. I have to admit I am really disappointed. It started out very strong, my interest was held and then it just fizzled right out. You've all seen the plot summary - an 18 year old leaps into the future or past every year on New Year's Day (which also happens to be her birthday). I thought this was incredibly unique and couldn't wait to begin.
ABookwormWithWine
Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore wasn't exactly what I expected, and I love that about it!

I listened to all of Oona Out of Order, and while I wish I would have had a physical copy in hand as well, it was still wonderful on audio and I loved the narrator, Brittany Pressley. I honestly would have rated this book a 5 but a couple times Oona's decisions just really irked me and there were a couple small things that didn't make sense to me as far as plausibility even within the world of this
Janelle | She Reads with Cats
Thank you Flatiron for my free copy.

OONA OUT OF ORDER was such a sweet surprise. I like to alternate between my @librofm #audiobook and my physical copy and it worked out perfectly. Either way you decide to absorb this novel, you will love it. Time travel is such a sticky topic to write but Montimore does it seamlessly. And Oonas narrative is like nothing Ive read before.

We start in 1982 on New Years Eve where Oona is about to turn nineteen at the stroke of midnight. She is on her way to make
Myrna
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oona Out of Order is book about a woman experiencing the unsettling effects of time travel. Whats not to like? After all, some of my favorite shows/movies are time travel ones like The Lake House, Interstellar, Quantum Leap, Timeless, etc. although some of them confuse the heck out of me. LOL.

Oonas story is filled with love, romance, loss, and fun pop culture. Shes not always a likable character but you feel for her each New Year since she doesnt know what to expect and neither does the
Kim Richardson
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating and beautifully crafted tale which explores identity and relationships in one womans unpredictable and radically-changing world. Unputdownable and uplifting, I adored Oona Out of Order!! ...more
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like there are no words to adequately describe this book. I can't do the plot justice, I can't do the premise justice, and I certainly can't do my feelings justice.

So I will just say this. I LOVED THIS BOOK. It was utter perfection. I turned the last pages with tears on my face and my heart in my throat. I could have read hundreds and hundreds more pages of Oona's story. I wanted to read about every single year of her life and I mourned the end of the book.

Just read it. I don't want to
Lata
I enjoyed this story, but with some reservation. We're never given a reason for why Oona, out of billions of people on the planet, gets to experience her life all out of order. The mechanism for this situation is never considered or speculated about, as this is a story about relationships and choices, not technology. Instead, we see Oona make mistakes, despite warnings and advice she's left for herself in the form of letters to herself. The mistakes and her reasons for seemingly repeated errors ...more
Tammy
Oona Out of Order is the perfect mixture of romance, coming of age, pop culture and oh yeah, time travel! I was a bit skeptical about the whole time travel aspect but the relatable character of Oona and the fabulous storyline hooked me from the first page. It also made me stop and think. What would my 19 year old self think if it woke up in my 53 year old body? What would my 53 year old self tell my younger self? Loved this book! I would love to see it as a tv series!
amanda
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somebody once asked me that if I had the chance would I ever change my past? The good, the bad, the downright painful?

I thought about it, really thought because a lot has happened and Ive been through a lot but truthfully I dont think I would change anything. I am who I am because my experiences have made me who I am and although life is terrible at times (and now) it doesnt mean it always will be. Im not saying that Im stronger or anything for what Ive been through. Im just me.

Now if you ask me
Tinichix (nicole)
I knew very little about this book going into it. I knew the brief summary and the so far primarily good reviews. It was a very pleasant surprise for me. Much more serious than I anticipated. More layers and more meaning than I was expecting. But all in a good way. I choose to do this one as an audio book and the narrator was absolutely perfect. She did an amazing job.

Oona time travels as the description suggests, she leaps from year to year, forward and backwards, with no obvious pattern. Her
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
I listened to this on audio (thank you @librofm for the ALC) I thought this was such a unique story! Imagine living each year of your life  "out of order"! That's how Oonas life is lived. Every year on her birthday, New year's Eve, at midnight, Oona starts another year of her life at a different age. Could be older, could be younger! She receives letters from her self in previous years with advice on how to handle her situation. She experiences a few loves, and slew of friends throughout the ...more
readwithjamie
This book is one I would just call ok. It has been a big hype on Instagram, however I unfortunately never connected with the story nor the characters. Bummed because time travel and 80s/90s nostalgia had me SO eager to read this.

Oonas character is what bugged me the most. She incessantly whined throughout her adventures and I ended up skimming just to get to the next year. I also yearned first more nostalgia, more heart and soul. I had high hopes for Oona, but alas this one fell flat for me.
Nicole
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...she should have been celebrating her twenty-second birthday instead of being cloistered in a house time travel built..."

Oh, where do I start with this book? I loved every page. I was intrigued with Oona, her leaping, and where each year would take her. Oona was the female version of Dr. Sam Beckett (only she stayed in her body) and Madeleine & Kenzie were her Als. (Bonus points if you know what I'm referring to).

Margarita Montimore crafted such a beautiful story. I felt like I was
Rach
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
We start this book with Oona who is celebrating the New Year and her birthday that falls on a New Year. She is happy but is it finding hard to make choices on her future. The clock strikes midnight New Year and thats where the time travel starts. Each New Year when the clock strikes midnight she travels to a certain part in her life e.g the first time it happens she is 51 (she is still 19 though inside every time is happens).

I love a bit of time travel. This book reminds a bit of the tv show

• In Five Years
  • The Jetsetters
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • The Scent Keeper
After receiving a BFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College, Margarita Montimore worked for over a decade in publishing and social media before deciding to focus on the writing dream full-time. She lives in New Jersey with her husband and dog.

Margarita writes upmarket fiction that tends to be left of center and flirt with multiple genres. She loves all things dark, strange, and surreal, but is

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our list, we fo...
“There would be bad days, there always would. But she'd collect these good days, each one illuminated, and string them together until they glowed brightly in her memory like Christmas lights in a mirrored room.” 3 likes
“It felt as if my whole life had been shaped by the things people wouldn't say.” 1 likes