Start by marking “The People: No Different Flesh (The People)” as Want to Read:
The People: No Different Flesh (The People)

The People: No Different Flesh

(The People)

A novel expanded from a short story (different from book 1 Pilgrimage which was a push of short stories connected by new material) of the alien PEOPLE and earthlings with gifts similar to those of the People -- who might be lost PEOPLE!

The "People" stories inclulded in this book:
No Different Flesh (1965)
Deluge (1963)
Angels Unawares (1966)
Troubling
Published June 1967 by Doubleday (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People

Manny
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it
So here's your obscure literary comparison question for today: Ayn Rand is to Ursula Le Guin as Stephenie Meyer is to...

Give up? Well, I think you can make a decent case for "Zenna Henderson". The parallels with Meyer are striking. Henderson was raised as a Mormon, and made her name writing about "The People", a group of human-like extraterrestrials who live among normal folks in rural America. The People have unusual powers, which they normally hide but can occasionally reveal to trusted human
Joy
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An Earth couple save a baby fluttering lost among the trees. After baby Lala is reunited with her father of the People, Johannan and his friends share some of their stories with the couple. Here we learn why the People love so much the memory of their lost planet Home, why they are so careful of the exposure of their Talents; yet all the things the People and Earthmen of good will can do for each other.

The People books are deserving classics for their deeply felt and beautifully writ
Valerie
I remember when Zenna Henderson died. As with many people whom you'd really LIKE to know about, it wasn't reported in major media--I learned about it from Locus. According to biographical sources, she'd only have been about 66 when she died, though she looked much older.

It's doubtful whether she'd have written any more if she'd lived longer, however. She was a careful craftswoman, and her works were few but intricate.

This book was most likely put together in response to w
Alan Denham
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-paper
I found one of the stories in here way back in the mid 1960s. It convinced me that this genre was what I wanted to read! At that time I didn't realise that there were a couple of books-worth of linked short stories in this world. Imagine my joy when I found out! (And my disappointment that, so far as I know, there are only two books-worth!)
From then on, I read everything by Zenna Henderson that I could find. Over the years, I have come to be a little unhappy about the Christianity implicit her
Cindy
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
The People #1 - Pilgrimage
The People #2 - No Different Flesh
Author: Zenna Henderson

I love this series - re-read it regularly! Most of the stories [but not the thread connecting them] have appeared independently in various science fiction and fantasy magazines and some short story collections. The two books have also been collected in the omnibus edition Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson.

Although she was not as well known [or as prolif
Michael
250917: series of linked short stories, 1962 to 1966, that probably has influenced, defined, expressed, our modern myth of aliens come to earth, of how different that is, how we and they might share this particularly American life of the era. this is more history of family, community, education, beliefs, all reconciled, all paralleled, with simple beliefs in something like christianity... religious thought/experience very important this collection as well as dangerous for difference... these ali ...more
Thom
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Another series of short stories set in the same world with a connecting story outside them all. Most of the stories are pretty good, with the first being excellent and "Return" feeling very preachy. The previous book was all on Earth; here we get a glimpse of the abandoned Home and a little information about New Home.

Some of the recollections (of the People) delve into what humans knew a little too far, making the story as a whole less believable. The unresolved tale from the first volume is no
Gill
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found a hardback copy of Pilgrimage amongst the family books, and eventually got round to reading it. So when I saw this one on Bookmooch I asked for it.
I do enjoy Zenna Henderson's writing, and wish she had been around for longer to write more and more fully.
She has a light touch and writes concisely, as a series of short, linked stories. She can make her characters real and believable with few words and one cares about what happens to them. The society she writes about is an idealized one,
Kris
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I will remember until I die the hot flat, horrible campground my grandparents dragged the family to and there I discovered The People when my mother finished No Different Flesh and handed it to me to read. The campground in all it horribleness faded away and I became entwined in the lives of other people.
Zenna Henderson unwittingly sparked my first religious crisis when she introduced me to Exodus 22:18 - "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live". And at the tender age of 14 or 15, I started
Mary Miller
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've read this over and over again over the years by Zenna Henderson. It still brings much joy, clear discussion about extra sensory perception, how it works, what it is, in a 'sane' way. Well written, and good discussion of it's time. If you can find it, read it! There is so much good here. Original date listed here, is approximate, but it is about the time I FIRST read Zenna Henderson and it's affect on me, is the work I do now. Thanks to Zenna.
MaryLou Pearce
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Zenna Henderson wrote five books based on an alien race called "The People" who are stranded on earth and are very similar to humans with the exception that they have special gifts/powers. An incredible storyteller able to weave a story that draws you into a world that you wish really did exist and to which you could belong. I am lucky enough to have located and purchased all of Ms Henderson's books and they are counted among the books that I treasure and will be with me for years to come.
Janis Ian
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A severely under-rated, under-remembered leader in the field, whose influence is quoted by authors as diverse as Connie Willis and Orson Scott Card. Just a seminal concept, written with elegance and wonder.
Joseph Carrabis
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As I wrote in my review of Zenna Henderson's Pilgrimage, a wonderful retelling of the changeling myths.
Erik Graff
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Henderson fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I'd come across stories by Zenna Henderson's People for some time before obtaining a whole book about them. I read this edition up in Michigan soon after its publication, mostly as a bedtime book.

The concept behind the stories is of an alien people stranded on earth who are pretty much entirely human except for a variety of parapsychological gifts like esp. At the time of reading they reminded me most of the Amish or of old school Mennonites. They keep to themselves and are generally
Pam Baddeley
The second in Henderson's tales of the People, aliens who crashlanded on earth and have to fit in despite their psychic abilities. No school teachers this time (the first book heavily featured teachers, probably because Henderson herself was one), but the framing is evident again, with a couple of humans who feature in the first story being shown what has happened to the people at various times, going back to why/when they left their world. Although some of the description is vivid, I find it a ...more
D.M. Dutcher
It's a collection of short stories about extraterrestial aliens called the People who come to earth and live among us, interacting with us when fate throws us together. It's unique in that it's one of the few openly religious SF books in that time frame, and also in its style and tone. It's gentle, spiritual, and about as opposite from traditional sixties SF as could be.

The stories are a mixed bag, but they get better further on, and the People are a winsome race. You feel real sadne
Jeffrey Mclellan
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This one along with the other 'People' stories have a warm place in my heart. I first read them in my early teens and many decades later scenes and stories from these books still come to my mind.

Set in the turn of the previous century (1900's ?), a scattered group of refugees from another world tries to hide and survive in remote settings here on earth. Although they look entirely human, they are more advanced than us in several ways involving their 'gifts' and their morality.
Anya
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The sequel to "Pilgrimage: Book of The People." It has the same kind of framework (lots of inter-connected short stories told by the characters) and characters as the first book, but rather than tell how the People adjusted to life on Earth and found each other, this book gives more back story about how they actually got to Earth in the first place. It was just as riveting to read, although, like the first book, it ends quite abruptly and leaves you wanting more.
Shana
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I haven't read Zenna Henderson in a really long time so it was really nice to find this book I had started at least a year or two ago, hiding under my bed. I liked most of the stories but found the overarching story a little clumsy in holding them all together. But as a collections of stories it worked well in telling the history of the People from different perspectives and characters. All together, a pretty decent work of sci-fi that made me feel very nostalgic.
John
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of fantasy/SciFi
Shelves: fantasy
The second book of 'The People' series being a group of original shrt stories that were printed in various magazines, but here are sequences into a continuous story.
The People are forced to move several times to protect themselves from the wrath of those who discover the truth about them.
Excellent books
Jude
i cannot remember the quality of the writing - but i remember reading her two People books over and over - and being outraged at the tv version. the world was simpler, i was simpler, and speculative fiction could be simpler too - or at least that's what i imagine now. these were people i cared about - that i wanted to know - that i wanted to belong to.
Sandy H
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I read the Zenna Henderson books decades ago (sigh) when I was in junior high or so. I don't recall much of the detail anymore, but still remember how much I loved them. I do plan on reading them again at some point.
Jan-Len
Jul 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped
Neither sado-masochism nor the Galgamex vagina is my thing. Imagine Smallville only Tom Welling is writing the script. This sucks big time. I managed to finish the first story and that's where it will end.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this book when I was a teenager, and I LOVED it! It was made into an ok made-for-TV movie back in the '70s. Zenna Henderson writes like no one else I know. It's too bad she didn't write more!
Ruth
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Loved it. Loved it especially as I am sure I had a copy of this book as a teenager and yet it was all fresh and new to me -- either I am going a little soft, or ...Anyway, it felt like I had found familiar characters in new situations - lovely!

Joy
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again adding to my list of influential science fiction stories of my childhood, gleaned from the many pulp SyFy mags I devoured. I seem to remember this being made into a schlocky movie for TV, maybe??
Zimye Hunter
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and its premise. I first read it decades ago and it is still a book I pull down from the shelf.
Ian
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Henderson's second collection about the People - disappointing. I reviewed it on SF Mistressworks: http://sfmistressworks.wordpress.com/...
Kerry
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The sequel is as good as the first.
Kathie (katmom)
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
Loved this book...loved the aliens who are more US than we are!

They love the Lord, Jesus...and I loved the flow of how this worked.

I've carted this book around for 35 years...I must like it!

• The Witches of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #1)
  • The New Women of Wonder
  • The Way of Spider (Spider, #2)
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • The Starry Rift
  • Weird Tales: The Magazine That Never Dies
  • This Star Shall Abide (Children of the Star, #1)
  • Dead of Veridon (The Burn Cycle #2)
  • The Color of Evil
  • October the First Is Too Late
  • Other Days, Other Eyes
  • A Woman's Liberation: A Choice of Futures by and About Women
  • Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction
  • The Book of Frank Herbert
  • The Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein
  • The Scoundrel Worlds (Star Risk, #2)
  • Haunt Of Horror: Edgar Allan Poe
  • From the Land of Fear
Zenna Chlarson Henderson was born on November 1, 1917 in the Tucson, Arizona area. She graduated from Arizona State in 1940 with a Bachelors degree in education and worked as a teacher in Arizona throughout her life. She died on May 11, 1983, at the age of 65, in Tucson.

Henderson is known almost entirely for short stories about "The People." The People are a race of sensitive, human-looking alien

The People (4 books)
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • Ingathering: The Complete People Stories
  • A Decade of Fantasy and Science Fiction
“In any age when people pervert goodness, love, and obedience and set up a god small enough to fit their shrunken souls...Anything is evil,...It lies on the other side of the line you draw around what you will accept as good. Some people's lines are awfully narrow.” 10 likes