Start by marking “Wider Than the Sky” as Want to Read:
Wider Than the Sky

Wider Than the Sky

In the wake of sudden tragedy, twin sisters uncover a secret that rips open their world. Katherine Rothschild explores the pain and power of forgiveness in a stunning debut novel that will shatter your heart and piece it back together, one truth at a time.

Sixteen-year-old Sabine Braxton doesn’t have much in common with her identical twin, Blythe. When their father dies fr
Published January 19th 2021 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about Wider Than the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wider Than the Sky

Start your review of Wider Than the Sky
sarah
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was ok
I had high expectations for Wider than the Sky because of the description, some positive reviews and the gorgeous cover (yes, I know, don't judge a book by its cover- but you cannot tell me that this one isn't stunning.) Unfortunately it was quite disappointing and let me down on almost all fronts.

Before we get into that, here is a quick summary of the story. Wider than the Sky follows Sabine and her twin Blythe, who have to move to a new town after their father mysteriously dies. It goes throu
Susana
Thank you to the publisher for providing me with an eArc via Eldelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review.

Release date: January 19
This book is out now!

I have such mixed feelings about this book. I think I was expecting a very different story from what I got, but that was not necessarily a negative outcome.

Sabine is a sixteen-year-old girl whose father died from an unexpected, mysterious ilness. Along with her twin sister, Blythe, she has to deal with the aftermath of his death, i
Althea
1.5/5 Stars

I hate writing negative reviews, especially for queer books and books by debut authors, but this one was such a disappointment. It follows Sabine as her, her twin sister Blythe, and their mother leave everything behind to move into a ramshackle old mansion with a stranger named Charlie, who just happened to show up in the hospital room when their dad died. Sabine, curious to find out what’s been going on, does some snooping and finds more secrets than she bargained for.

I had such high
Celia McMahon
Dec 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you, NetGalley for the e-arc.

After the death of their father, twins Sabine and Blythe find themselves transplanted into an old mansion with their mom and their dad's friend, Charlie. Hoping to solve the mystery of why Charlie is living with them and why their mom won't give them the whole truth of their dad's death and why they're living with a stranger in a house, Sabine delves into the history of a dad she thought she knew.

There was a lot to process in this book with some heavy topics:
Sheena
Jan 22, 2021 rated it did not like it
The gorgeous cover is what tricked me into requesting and reading this book. Going into this I expected a story of grief, hope, and acceptance. I thought I would get poignancy and a new favorite book. I hate to write such a poor review because this book touches on the LQBTQ community and polyamorous representation and I feel like that is rarely touched in YA novels.

Our main character Sabine is the worst. Her father dies and she and her family moves from Southern California to the Bay Area. At h
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

I want to thank NetGalley & Soho Press for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I appreciate so much many of the discussions that this book has and tries to have, as well as the amount of diversity since it shows polyamorous relationships and bisexual characters, on the other hand, the execution doesn't seem to be successful, it felt quite messy and the actions of the characters are simply rude and inappropriate. I cannot speak for own-voices readers so I will n
Carmen Reyna
Dec 23, 2020 marked it as to-read
Saw this and now I gotta read it because of that beautiful cover. I think it’s my favorite cover, like ever. Wow. Ok that’s all.
Sylvs (NOVELty Reads)
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC kindly provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

What a book!

This book really packed a punch and twisted my soul. It was beautiful, poignant and elegant in its prose, the characters all were complex and well written and the writing was poetic and read well on the page. I genuinely did enjoy myself when I was reading this contemporary novel and I believe that it has something special that would make people want to pick it up and read it.

Wider than the Sky foll
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of WIDER THAN THE SKY by Katherine Field Rothschild in exchange for my honest review.***

3 STARS

After Sabine’s father dies unexpectedly of an “infection” she, her identical twin Blythe and their mother move to a run down mansion owned by their dad and his “friend” Charlie. Together the twins grieve separately and apart as they adjust to their new surroundings and their new found knowledge about who their dad really was.

I have mixed feel
Valerie May

"But maybe there was no safety in loving anyone. There was always risk, always the chance of loss--sooner or later."

-Sabine Braxton

"But maybe love wasn't keeping everything neat and tidy and perfect. Maybe it was leaving rooom for mess. Maybe it was leaving room for people who needed a place to fit in."

-Sabine Braxton

Somehow, I was scared and hesitant to start this book, mainly because I don't usually read stories about forgiveness, loss and grief as it affects my emotions and makes
Aly
The premise of this book is pretty unique, especially in a YA story so I was excited to jump in. The book follows Sabine, who's father has passed away suddenly and as a result she, her twin, and her mom have to move in with a mysterious stranger named Charlie. The twist is that Charlie was her father's lover, he was bisexual and in a polyamorous relationship with his wife and Charlie. I'm not bisexual or polyamorous so I can't speak to the accuracy, but it didn't paint the adults in a good light ...more
Paige Hettinger
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was ok
read this review on my blog now!!!

I received an advanced copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much to Soho Teen for providing this galley!

I make it a point to always remember my age when I review a YA novel. At 22-years-old, I am decidedly not the target audience for Young Adult novels, and age is something that I believe should be at the forefront of reviewers’ and bloggers’ minds when they read, assess, and critically engage with Young Adult novels. As a re
Samantha (WLABB)
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, lgbtqia, contemporary
Following her father's unexpected death, Sabine's life was uprooted. Relocated from her childhood home to a crumbling mansion was jarring enough, but learning about her father's "other life" shook her foundation to its core. Sabine made some questionable decisions while she struggled with these changes and her grief, but would she be able to undo some of the damage she had done?

I have a penchant for grief books, and therefore, was eager to read Wider Than the Sky. I really don't have an opinion
Sally Engelfried
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story of 16yo Sabine, who loses her father twice: first when he dies unexpectedly, and again through what she perceives as his betrayal of her family. Sabine’s journey toward reconciliation and acceptance of both tragedies drives the story forward…plus: romance! Sabine’s “undiagnosed literary medical condition,” also called “poeting” by her twin sister, where she spouts Emily Dickinson lines in times of stress, is brilliant and funny and sad. Couldn’t put it down.
Renee Godding
Feb 18, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2021-releases
Honestly, I hated this book: worst I've read this year.
Full review to come.
Lu
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much, Soho Press and Soho Teen, for granting me this wish!

Sabine and her twin Blythe don't have much in common with one other. Blythe loves hoodies and jeans, she's more practical, while Sabine prefers poetry and design and when their father suddenly dies from an unexpected illness, each copes in her own way. Blythe by obsessing over getting into MIT, their father alma mater and Sabine by "poeting", a quirk of bursting into poetry at inappropriate moments.
Their world is ripped open
Elizabeth Mellen
Jan 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Soho Press for the advanced reader's copy, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Polyamory, HIV and discussions about safe sex with a positive partner, wrapped up in an emotional storyline.

This had a lot of things I really liked, but just didn’t catch me how I’d hoped.

Sabine has dealt with the unexpected loss of her father, a move to a new town, and things seem to be going downhill from there. She’s made a cool friend and found a new crush, only to realize he’s her n
Starr ❇✌❇
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: got-an-arc, reviewed
I received a DRC from Edelweiss

No one has been able to tell Sabine why her dad died, or why Charlie, a man who claims to have known him but she's never met, suddenly appeared the day he died- or why they had to move in with Charlie, in a house that mysteriously has both his and her mom's names on the lease. All Sabine wants to do is go back home and remember her dad as he was. But what if she didn't know her dad?

I spent the majority of this book really angry, honestly. I'm not a fan of the char
Giulia Colma
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

I had high expectations for this one since the premise sounded so interesting, but it fell flat to me and I had a hard time finishing it.

The book follows Sabine and her twin sister Blythe, who after their father dies, move to a different house with their mother and a stranger named Charlie.

You're probably expecting to read about both of them, right? Wrong. Sabine is the only narrating voice; Blythe rarely gets mentioned, she'
Sacha
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Soho Teen for this arc, which I received in exchange for an honest review. I'll post that review upon publication.

Updated 1/20/21

There is a lot happening in this quick YA read.

At the start of the novel, twins Sabine and Blythe experience a tragedy that upends their lives, resulting in a big move, a whole lot of questions, and ultimately some surprising answers. Despite twinning, Sabine takes center stage in this one. Her friendships, a possible romance, and he
Julie Link
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although the target audience are teens, every parent should read this book to understand the impact our actions, and inactions, have on our children. The main character, Sabine's journey to forgiveness was believable and true to life. Great character development, touching and uplifting. ...more
Florgcueto
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
First of all thanks to Netgalley for providing me with this ARC, in exchange for an honest review.

I have decided to give this book 2.5/3 stars.

Now as the synopsis states this book follows Sabine’s story. Sabine and her identical twin, Blythe, are going through a hard situation as her lives change drastically after their father’s death. They have to move, new house, now school, they now live with a man named Charlie who they simply don’t know.

So, at the beginning I was pretty much liking the boo
✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile
Arc provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF @ 35%

When tragedy strikes in the form of their father's sudden passing, twin sisters, Sabine and Blythe are thrusts into a world turned upside down. When they move into an old mansion owned by a mysterious stranger, Charlie, they discover secrets of their late father, threatening to overturn their already shaky lives. Wider Than the Sky is a story of family, grief and finding your footing again.

First off, it's not the book; it's me.
Neonila
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book managed to make me cry the whole way through, my little heart was shattered.

It dealt with loss, grief, family, relationships and so much more. The characters weren't perfect, but they found their way in the end. And what a beautiful message it had: family is often so imperfect and so nontraditional, but you can make it what you want it to be.

I have to admit, though, I was quite frustrated with some decisions at times. I get that they're portrayed as imperfect humans, and I loved that,
artemis
Thank you to Soho Teen/Soho Press and NetGalley for providing me with an excerpt in exchange for an honest review.

This is going to be a spoiler-y review a little bit so warning for that for those who have not read this book. Also, I'm not a teenager nor did I go through a teenager phase cause I spent it being depressed, suicidal and having to grow up faster than expect so I feel like my criticisms of the character's behaviour may be misguided because I personally didn't understand them.

The book
Rebecca Collins
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
excellent read for adults and teens. I sat down to read and wound up finishing in a day. it was beautifully written and offers hope for people who are going through rough times.
Lydia
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teen, Tween, and Adult readers
This is a beautifully written contemporary story about loss, discovery, love, and forgiveness. I've recommended this book to my teen and tween as it chronicles Sabine's journey after the death of her father with a subtle sense of humor and even a little romance. (And since there's nothing explicit, my 12 yr old can read it without me flinching.) ...more
Lindsey McLorg
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Katherine Rothschild’s debut novel is written in the voice of an original and exciting new author. Her quirky characters are richly and drawn. The plot is plum full of unexpected twists. The insular small town setting is a character unto itself. A word of caution: do yourself a favor and restrain yourself from the temptation to read the back cover before you’re deep into the book. I refrained and am so glad I did. While the enticing details may draw the reader in, IMHO, too many spoilers! Having ...more
Meaghan
Apr 22, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2021
First, I would like to thank the author, publisher, and Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review this book. While an egalley was provided for me, my thoughts and opinions are my own.

This books covers a lot of sensitive topics that don't often make their way into YA (polyamory, HIV/AIDs, bisexuality, homelessness, and other sorts of trauma. However, I don't know if I can say this was well-balanced. While I can't comment on the exact rep for most of these topics (except for perhaps bi
Justin
Mar 27, 2021 rated it did not like it
« previous 1 3 next »

• Amelia Unabridged
  • Kisses and Croissants
  • The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)
  • The Obsession (The Obsession, #1)
  • The Quantum Weirdness of the Almost-Kiss
  • Yesterday Is History
  • Pride and Premeditation (Jane Austen Murder Mystery, #1)
  • I Think I Love You
  • The King's 100
  • Everland (Everland, #1)
  • New World Rising (New World Series, #1)
  • The Last Secret You’ll Ever Keep
  • My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1)
  • Cool for the Summer
  • Love Is a Revolution
  • Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)
  • The Dead Girl Under the Bleachers: A Craven Fall Mystery
  • Pictures of Dorianna
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

If one of your favorite bookish activities is discovering fledgling authors, then you're in for quite a treat this year with the wonderful...