Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Otherworld Stories)” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Otherworld Stories)

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Mammoth Romances)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  3,896 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews

24 new short stories from the hottest names

Fall in love with someone out of this world.

If love transcends all boundaries then paranormal romance is its logical conclusion. From the biggest names around, here are 24 tales to take you to another time and place.

Let Alyssa Day, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Cheyenne McCray, Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews, Kelley Armstrong, Maria V. Snyde

Published April 1st 2009 by Running Press Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Before you Little Barnacles freak the fish out, let's make something real clear here: the only reason this delightful collection of *shudders preemptively* Bloody Shrimping Paranormal Romances (BSPNR™) *starts convulsing a tiny little bit* was added to my shelves is because it features an Ilona Andrews story. You didn't really think I'd willingly read 500+ pages of paranormally romantic crap stuff, did you now? I mean, the mere thought of this anthology being in a 30,568-mile radius of Glen Cook ...more
Grace Tjan
Feb 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Paranormal Relationship Q&A

Q: My superhero hubby has a habit of throwing expensive SUVs at villains when fighting them on the street. We’re getting sued left and right for restitution by the owners. What could I do to change this bad habit?

Super-annoyed in Texas

A: Tell your hubby to look for cheaper alternatives. If he must throw something big at a super villain, he could use street lamps instead. They’re pretty effective, and the best thing of all --- they’re owned by the government! The g
Cathy (cathepsut)
I finally, finally finished this. Some good, some ok, some not so good. I found some interesting authors. I've had this book on my reading shelf for a long time. I would probably rate several of the stories a star lower now than they actually are, as I have started to rate a bit more conservatively in recent months.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Very good, 5 stars:
Paranormal Romance Blues, Kelley Armstrong (vampires, demons) - FUN!
John Doe, Anna Windsor (angels) - I don't like angels, but this was a positive s
Paige  Bookdragon

This is my favorite anthology book so far and here are the books that I really like:

description

4/5 stars

I wasn't expecting for the story to end that way. I thought it was just the usual PNR story about a biologist (the heroine) and a selkie but I was wrong. This made my heart hurt a little bit and the ending took me by surprise. I might read another Carrie Vaughn book in the future.

Taking Hold by Anya Bast

4/5 stars

I admit I was kinda shocked to read an Anya B
Maria Dimitrova
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This shouldn't have been a short story. It should have been a full size novel. There's so much potential in this that it makes me pull my hair out because it's so short. So to put it simple, the story is really good but too damned short. It's like a delicious aroma when you know you'll never get to taste the dish. I want more stories set in this world, please!
Julie (jjmachshev)
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
Twenty-four, that's right. Count 'em, twenty-four short stories from some of the big names in current paranormal romance...all in one fairly heavy trade paperback! "The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance" is a mammoth undertaking edited by Trisha Telep with stories by Carrie Vaughn, Cheyenne McCray, Kelley Armstrong, Anna Windsor, Anya Bast, Jean Johnson, CT Adams & Cathy Clamp, Holly Lisle, Mary Jo Putney, Eve Silver, Ilona Andrews, Maria V Snyder, Catherine Mulvany, Jeaniene Frost, Lori De ...more
Kinga
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I bought this book because it was on offer for 99p and I was under the impression I would like it. When I think of paranormal romance I think Margit Sandemo and that one summer where I had nothing else to do so I read all 47 volumes of her Legend of the Ice People. It was one hell of a summer.
Then I realized paranormal was big these days and there was pretty much an unlimited supply of Sandemo-like things. I was very excited, until, of course, I started reading those books.

Sandemo wrote more tha
Blodeuedd Finland
Ok how to review this, I will not talk about all those stories. So a few short lines about those I really enjoyed.

The Temptation of Robin Green by Carrie Vaughn
I did not like it at first, which is bad since it's so short, but then I liked it. A story about a zoo with paranormal beings, and it was the selkie that got me. One hot hot scene too.

Light through Fog by Holly Lisle
This was a sort of ghost story but at the same time not. And it was heartbreaking, a wonderful little story she brought to l
Mojca
Nothing to write home about, that's for sure. There were a couple of good stories in here, but were unfortunate to share space with other not-so-good stories, and so seemed rushed and not long enough. The potential was there, though.

The Good:
Paranormal Romance Blues by Kelley Armstrong (good humor)
Taking Hold by Anya Bast (wanted to read more about Mac and Lily)
How To Date a Superhero Jean Johnson (it promised, but didn't show the "big scene")
Trinity Blue by Eve Silver (again, wanted to read mor
Rhianna
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great variety... not so great quality...

A widesweeping selection of paranormal fables of the romantic persuasion, THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF PARANORMAL ROMANCE, is a tantalizing sampler for fans of both the paranormal romance and urban fantasy genres. Filled with short stories from some of the biggest names—and some little known—in paranormal romance and urban fantasy I highly recommend this for other readers who are seeking a taste of new authors or to try something from an old favorite. To keep thing
Cyn Armistead
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm extremely surprised by how much I enjoyed this anthology! I picked it up intending to just read the stories by authors I know I like—Kelley Armstrong, Ilona Andrews, Carrie Vaughn, Holly Lisle, Jeaniene Frost, Maria V. Snyder. I had never heard of some of the other authors. A few names I remembered seeing in other anthologies and not enjoying their work.

I did, however, deliberately put myself in a tolerant mindset: this is a book of romance stories. It wouldn't be fair to judge them as anyth
Angela
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Whenever I travel I like to take plenty of reading material along for long waits in the airport or for other boring moments. However, for my trip to Arizona last week I neglected to bring more than two books. Thus I found myself browsing the shelfs at B&N desperate for something light and fun to read. That's where I found this book and I'm glad I did. It has 24 short romantic stories and not only didi I find them all enjoyable, I also discovered three new authors to add to my TBR shelf.
Dina James
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book features my second foray into the world of the Destrati. There's more Kyle.... Pick it up and let me know what you think! Available 26Feb2009 in the UK and April 13, 2009 in the US!
Jonathan Currinn
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally bought this book so I could reference it in my Creative Writing Project, to draw inspiration from the stories contained inside.

Here's my thoughts on each story:

The Temptation Of Robin Green - Carrie Vaughn
Second time I've come across selkies, I have never even heard of them before 4 months ago. This is such an inspiration and exciting to learn about a new whole supernatural creature, eager to find out more and I love how they trance people. This was set in a supernatural biological
Sarah Marie
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance edited by Trisha Telep

I’m doing this review differently. I’ll list the title, author, my rating on the story, what it’s about, and thoughts (if I have particular ones). This is a collection of 24 short stories that focus on the paranormal. Let’s move on to the first story.

3 stars

This story focused mainly on selkies. The story was interesting and I think I could’ve loved it if it hadn’t been lacking in c

Rosemary
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I got this when I first got my Kindle, in a rush of enthusiasm for free books and to see what paranormal romance was all about.

Some of the stories were pretty good. I liked the one about the supernatural creature zoo, with a vampire and a werewolf and a mermaid in an aquarium, and the one about the woman working at a psychiatric hospital who was visited by real demons. After that they blended into one mass of vampires, werewolves and miscellaneous supernatural creatures.
TinaMarie
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lexie
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Unlike with The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance I've read almost all of the authors present in this collection to some degree. Obviously some of them more (Maria V. Snyder, Rachel Caine, Mary Jo Putney and Ilona Andrews), but I've read at least one story per an author before now.

Even though I knew I would enjoy the authors more in this collection then the other, I was still hesitant to think I would enjoy the collection more. I read a lot of paranormal--for fun and review--and I've been dis
Heather
Oct 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Before reading this book I had a nosey at the reviews and recall seeing someone claiming there 'was not enough romance' - well, for the first few there seems to be more smut with paranormal thrown in as a setting and little else. Don't get me wrong, the paranormal element was great, I just wish the author had focused more on that and then had romance as a theme and not the other way around.

Once I got past these few 'oh my god, take me now' stories as I like to call them, I found myself in a worl
Clare O'Beara
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed most of the stories in this book and I'm pleased to have read it. Many of the authors are producing novellas in paranormal romance or urban fantasy, so they are skilled in this area already, but you don't need to have read their books to get into their short stories.

I particularly enjoyed: a tale about a lighthouse keeper and his wife, who contend with a murderous sea god; a stone gargoyle who is wonderfully well brought to life for us; a werewolf lady who needs to catch a serial kill
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
A solid collection of original 24 short stories that were easy to read and great examples of the genre. I think this would be an ideal introduction to the genre for someone interested, and a great read for fans.
There is a nice variety - vampires, shifters, ghosts, and even a gargoyle and only a few that had links to the authors series eg Blue Crush by Raechel Caine (Weather Warden series) and The Wager by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Lords of Avalon series).
I have read something from most of the authors s
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
They weren't kidding when they said Mammoth Book. SO many authors I like are in this book. I find it interesting they are all females.

The one that really stuck out for me was Holly Lisle's Light Through Fog. This one was the one that moved me most. I could say it upset me the most because I was angry at the woman's parents. It also moved me most with their dedication of love to transcend anything else.

I do like Ilona Andrew's "Grace of Small Magics". I've read it before already so perhaps this
Sandra
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was thinking after I'd read this that it would make a great series, then I realised that they'd based the new series Hidden Legacy on it. Not the people, but the world building is very similar. Thankfully no revenants in Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews.

Its amazing that Gordon & Ilona can write a short story and its totally engrossing. You want more, there is never enough. They are so talented!!
Diana
I only read the short story "The Wager" by Sherrilyn Kenyon writing as Kinley Macgregor. I really enjoyed it especially since the main character is Thomas Mallory. It's a part of the Lords of Avalon series but I feel it could be read as a standalone. It seems like a good series, I will definitely be reading more of it.
Gena
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A good read. It's an early Ilona book and you can see the preliminary thoughts and writing style that have evolved and spawned a new series Hidden Legacy (not identical characters but similar).

Re-read today. I'm so glad Ilona developed this concept into a series.
Heather
Oct 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pnr
waited a long time on my Library's hold list for this book...and #1 its not mammoth
#2 stories were way too short
& #3 not the quality you would expect from these authors
#$ was just disappointed in it period
Kati
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
How have I missed this short story until now? I love reading anything Ilona Andrews! This short story is about Grace, a young woman who comes to realize that magic users exist in the world, and Nassar, a complex man steeped in the world of magic. A very enjoyable read!
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I'm not the only one feeling like it was way too SHORT!!! Would love to read a full length novel about this couple.
Sharon
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-read
Different than her other books...about shifter werewolves. Good - would like to read more!
Debrac2014
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good short story!
Sexy Vampire Satire From Lynda Hilburn 1 7 Aug 09, 2011 02:27PM
  • Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Weddings from Hell
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • The Mammoth Book of Hot Romance
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Under Her Skin
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #3.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights (Kitty Norville; Vampire Files; Kate Daniels; Signs of the Zodiac; Dresden Files)
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse #3.5)
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore www.murderone.co.uk and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.
More about Trisha Telep

Mammoth Romances (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance: Volumes 1 and 2
“When she looked at him with those dark eyes, Nassar felt the urge to say something intelligent and deeply impressive. Unfortunately, nothing of the kind came to mind.” 0 likes