Start by marking “Furia” as Want to Read:
Furia

Furia

An #ownvoices contemporary YA set in Argentina, about a rising soccer star who must put everything on the line—even her blooming love story—to follow her dreams.

In Rosario, Argentina, Camila Hassan lives a double life.

At home, she is a careful daughter, living within her mother’s narrow expectations, in her rising-soccer-star brother’s shadow, and under the abusive rule
Published September 15th 2020 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Furia, please sign up.
Nick Jansen There are definitely mentions of sex and abuse is a big theme of the book. If you are comfortable talking to your 10-12 about this...it is very approp…moreThere are definitely mentions of sex and abuse is a big theme of the book. If you are comfortable talking to your 10-12 about this...it is very appropriate. The themes are more geared to older teenagers in my opinion, but I can see a 12 year old really enjoying this too.(less)

Start your review of Furia
Lauren Lanz
Happy publication day to Furia, a lovely contemporary! ❤️

Furia was a story that swept me away from the start with its resilient protagonist and message of female empowerment. It was great to read a about a girl’s passion for sports set in South America, as the cultural aspect really impacted my reading experience for the better.

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

Camilla is a seventeen year old living in Rosario, Argentina. Over the years she has grown used to concealing her love for soccer, as
jenny✨
💥 9/15/2020: Today has been a bright spot amidst some tumultuous times—happy pub day to one of my fave reads of 2020, Furia!

We’d made the space. We’d filled in the cracks of the system and made room for ourselves where there was none. No one had given us anything. We had taken it.

Goddamn, I really, really loved this book.

It’s not even fair to make the comparison, but this was everything I wanted Kulti to be. This was everything Kulti—with its slut-shaming, double standards, and unrealistic
Claude's Bookzone
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

CW: (view spoiler)

Well that was a powerful story about female strength and self determination.

As a YA librarian I work hard to ensure our collection is diverse and that all Readers can find themselves represented on our shelves. When I find quality books about young women in sport I am like "mine" (I am not a competent GIF user but in my mind I can see the seagulls from Finding Nemo). I say quality because some of the 'girls in sports' list
Mary ツ⋆
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Furia has my whole heart. Literally.

This was absolutely remarkable. Everything about this book was written flawlessly that truly made this book stand out, A strong feminist story that captures a glimpse of the realities that women are facing today.

The best thing about this book is the female protagonist, Camila Hassan, or as we know, "Furia". Everything about her, such as her love for futbol and determination towards achieving her dreams and aspirations is truly inspiring. Throughout the book
Hollis
I was | | close to rounding up on this one because there are aspects of this story that are so strong, so wonderful, but I can't quite boost it.

In my barrio, most of the people didn't know my name or even that I existed. To them, I was only Pablo's sister, or Andrés and the seamstress' daughter — my mom, too, was nameless. But I was determined to leave my mark.

If what you've always wanted in life is a YA version of KULTI by Mariana Zapata but with a heavy dose of feminism and very relevant, and
Sheena
Going into Furia I had high expectations because of all of the good reviews it was getting. I was actually let down immensely. I actually really enjoyed the setting of Argentina, I don’t think I have read a book set there so that was refreshing for me.

Now for Camila as a person, she got on my nerves a lot. She has the “not like other girls” syndrome. Her feelings for Diego were very wishy washy to me, one day she would be in love with him and then the next she would tell him to leave her alone
nitya
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 really

RTC when my brain isn't mush!
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

Super grateful to Algonquin Young Readers for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book, I think in the beginning it may have been difficult to read, but I'll explain more about that later, in general, it was incredible, and I managed to love this story more and more as it progressed to ended up in love with that ending. It has a wonderful progression, the author has done an incredible job with a fluid and easy-to-read style even when deali
Yamile Méndez
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's real. The book of my heart is real!
Nursebookie
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing more I enjoy reading than a powerful #OWNVOICES novel about a young woman who is able to rise above societal expectations to navigate her own path to adulthood. This book was written in a first person narrative that was completely relatable for many young adults, and that many readers will find themselves immersed. Within this amazing story, Mendez highlights strength, resilience, coming-of-age, in a society that is deeply patriarchal and sexist.

Camilla is an obedient daughter
Fanna
May 26, 2020 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
June 12, 2020: When a book is said to be perfect for fans of The Poet X, you will find me jumping at the chance to read an early copy of it, and thanks to the publishers, I can read FURIA: an ownvoices story about an Argentinian girl—who is a rising soccer star—and a friends-to-lovers romance!

June 11, 2020: The cover has just been revealed and it's an illustrated beauty!

May 27, 2020: We have an ownvoices rep with Argentinian MC and a friends-to-lovers romance.
Amy Imogene Reads
One young woman's quest to find herself, do what she loves, find love, and break the cycle of female oppression in contemporary Argentina—this was such a glorious read.

Writing: ★★★★★
Plot/Pacing: ★★★★★
Themes: ★★★★★
Enjoyment: all the stars, it was beautiful

Camila wants to be a female futbol (soccer) player. Raised in a family where her father, her brother, and her close family friend Diego all played and rose to fame on the field, it's in her blood to pound her feet across the field after the bal
Bookphenomena (Micky)

Wow!

This was a fantastic feminist YA, with coming of age themes all set in the context of futbol in Argentina. I love a sporting context book, especially those empowering women and if you want a YA that strongly empowers young women, then look no further. There is a romance in this story but it is pitched well and doesn’t overpower the story or the amazing heroine Camila ‘Furia’ Hassan.

Set in the barrios of a city in Argentina, the background for FURIA was rich, vibrant, dangerous and varied. Th
Komal
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review: https://www.inabookshell.com/2020/09/...

Cover

First of all, we are going to talk about the cover, that’s a striking cover, now that I’ve read the book, the cover is more than that. It shows a brave woman who’s not afraid to face the harsh realities and make the best out of things.

Characters/Plot

There was significance to every single character. Camila is one of the best protagonists I’ve read in all YA novels. She was sincere, hard-working, ambitious, and also very tough on herself.
Larry H
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yamile Saied Méndez’s new YA novel, Furia , is a powerful, poignant story about standing up for yourself and going for your dreams, no matter what others say.

Camila dreams of being a fútbol star but she lives in the shadow of her less-talented brother, who plays for a local team. When she plays, her teammates call her La Furia (The Fury), as she weaves her way back and forth across the field, scoring goals and bewildering their opponents.

When her team qualifies for the South American tourname
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Oh wow, how do I do this book justice? I fear that I can't, but I will do my very best! First, I expected I'd like this book, it's been on my TBR since I first heard about it, but wow did it deliver! So we're just going to talk about everything I loved about Furia!

►First, I have to start by saying that I am a huge sucker for women-in-sports books. I think because I spent my young adu
Cande
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as pausados
Give me all the books with Argentinian MCs, pretty please. And as a plus, we get to mock Argentina machismo. OMG SIGN ME UP.
Samantha (WLABB)
Camila's parents wanted her to study hard and become a doctor, but she had her own dreams. She aspired to become a professional soccer player. However, this was not something "good girls" did where she came from, so she had to secretly pursue this dream. With her team earning a spot in an upcoming tournament, Camila could not afford to hide her passion any longer. With so many obstacles, she wondered if her dream was even possible, if her family would not support her.

This book was so good! Firs
Sofia S.
(HAPPY RELEASE DAY TO FURIA!!!!)

Thank you to the publisher and to Edelweiss+ for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own!

For my full review with more details about each point I made, quotes & more about the author, check out this review on my blog!

----

My head is bursting with thoughts at this book. Since this will inevitably alllll over the place unless I give it a structure, here are...

THE THINGS I LOVED:

Camila Hassan "Furia" is a wonde
2TReads
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mendez wastes no time in setting up the narrative that propels this fast-paced, fresh, feminist story forward.

Camila loves football and she is very talented, but is confined and constrained by a society that still holds on to archaic beliefs of what a young woman should do and how she should act. However, Camila is strong-willed and determined to see that she keeps on the track that will lead to her achieving her destiny, and she must rely on her fortitude to see it through. She will do this whi
Kelly
An excellent read about Camila, a rising soccer star in Argentina, who has to keep her passion and talent for the game secret from her family. There's a major budding romance in this one that initially made me a little annoyed -- I wanted the sports story, in addition to the cultural story of feminism in Argentina -- but (view spoiler) ...more
Amparo Ortiz
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FURIA is an outright masterpiece. Mendez made me rabidly cheer for Camila (a.k.a. Furia) and burst into fits of rage whenever others tried to bring her down. I wanted to pick her up and carry her to her dreams-come-true, far from the venomous man who calls himself a father, and the prying eyes of a world that's not ready for her greatness. There's also one of the kindest boys I've ever seen in YA fiction, an uncertain future with gut-wrenching twists, and so, so much heart. Furia's journey is on ...more
Carolina
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
tho i wish the side characters had been more developed and the pacing in the 2nd half was a bit clunky for me, i have SO much love for this story 🥺
Tionna Kinglocke-Christian
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Furia by Yamile Saied Méndez was a beautiful read. During the story we follow Camila known as “Furia” a talented soccer("futbol")  player who has to hide her love and passion for the sport due to her parents believing women shouldn’t play sports. Much to her dismay she constantly lives in the shadow of her older brother Pablo, a rising soccer player. One day Camilia’s former love interest Diego returns, as their romance rekindles Camilia is forced to decide whether she’ll go with Diego to Europe ...more
Filipe
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly feel like it is so hard to start a book review for a book that touched you in many ways especially when you are not used to writing a review but filming one. In my case, my camera screen broke a couple of months ago therefore I need to write instead of speaking into a camera, which I feel way more comfortable doing.

Either way, I would love to start off this review by thanking the publicists and the whole team at Algonquin Young Readers for treating me with such care and genuine kindn
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via Algonquin Young Readers PR as part of the Blog Tour. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

An #ownvoices novel all about a ferocious young woman with dreams that society would want her to believe are useless and she is absolutely unworthy of actually achieving those dreams!

You, each female reading this knows EXACTLY what I am talking about -
because we have all b
Whitney
Amanda Belcher
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, favorites, ya
I loved this so, so much. My high opinion of this book totally stems from the fact that it includes so much of what I love and does it all so beautifully. Strong female lead? Check. A (mostly) swoonworthy romantic storyline? Check. Fútbol? Big check. There's also a really rich cultural layer to this book that I thought was done really well, too. It sets the scene and provides a foundation for the story. Camila is such a wonderful character and I loved seeing her fight for herself and her dreams. ...more
Fernanda Granzotto
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
⚽️

*Thank you Netgalley and the Publisher for providing me with an early copy of this book for review all opinions are my own*

I really liked this book, it is a fast read and the story itself is very captivating.
Here we follow the story of Camila who wants to play football but it is difficult to do that being a girl.
I loved to follow her journey going after her dreams no matter all the obstacles and never giving up, this book leaves a taste of hope because it also touches on very harsh r
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Historically Inaccurate
  • His Only Wife
  • The Last Story of Mina Lee
  • Skunk and Badger (Skunk and Badger #1)
  • Silver Meadows Summer
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • The Moon Within
  • Body Talk: 37 Voices Explore Our Radical Anatomy
  • Diamond City (The City of Diamond and Steel, #1)
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • Each of Us a Desert
  • Muse Squad: The Cassandra Curse
  • How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle Mystery 2)
  • All of Us with Wings
  • The Gravity of Us
Yamile (sha-MEE-lay) is a fútbol obsessed Argentine-American. She’s the mother of 5 kids and 2 adorable dogs. Yamile’s an inaugural Walter Dean Meyers Grant recipient, a graduate of Voices of our Nation (VONA) and the Vermont College of Fine Arts MFA Writing for Children program.
She’s represented by Linda Camacho, from the Gallt and Zacker Literary Agency.

Articles featuring this book

“The rest of my life is a mess, but at least on the pitch I get to do what I love.” 0 likes
“I was tired of running. We were all buried underneath mountains of blame, shame, guilt, and lies.” 0 likes