Start by marking “Furia” as Want to Read:
Furia

Furia

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  5,866 ratings  ·  1,243 reviews
An #ownvoices contemporary YA set in Argentina, about a rising soccer star who must put everything on the line—even her blooming love story—to follow her dreams.

In Rosario, Argentina, Camila Hassan lives a double life.

At home, she is a careful daughter, living within her mother’s narrow expectations, in her rising-soccer-star brother’s shadow, and under the abusive rule
Published September 15th 2020 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Furia, please sign up.
Nick Jansen There are definitely mentions of sex and abuse is a big theme of the book. If you are comfortable talking to your 10-12 about this...it is very approp…moreThere are definitely mentions of sex and abuse is a big theme of the book. If you are comfortable talking to your 10-12 about this...it is very appropriate. The themes are more geared to older teenagers in my opinion, but I can see a 12 year old really enjoying this too.(less)
Christina I thought of "Bend it Like Beckham" when I first read the premise of the book. Now that I've read Furia, I'd say... Yes and no. There are similarities…moreI thought of "Bend it Like Beckham" when I first read the premise of the book. Now that I've read Furia, I'd say... Yes and no. There are similarities, since they both revolve around soccer-playing female protagonists who come from homes that support that. I don't want to give anything away but will say that I enjoyed the book (and I also enjoyed "Bend it Like Beckham").(less)

·  5,866 ratings  ·  1,243 reviews

Start your review of Furia
Elena
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I fight for every ball, and although I don’t always win, no one can say I hold back. I leave my soul on the pitch. I relish what my body can do, appreciate its unorthodox beauty. The eyes of the crowd are on me, and I feel like a goddess.

And that is what this book is about—a girl chasing her dream of fútbol, fighting for every ball, whether that means leaving everyone and everything behind.

Furia, simply, follows Camila "La Furia" Hassan on her journey towards competing for the Sudame
Katherine
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-favorites
This was so, so good. I needed a book to pull me out of my reading slump, and Furia by, Yamile Saied Mendez did just that. 😘

The story follows Camila, a seventeen year old girl from Rosario, Argentina who dreams of playing Fútbol professionally. All Camila wants is to throw the expectations her parents have of her, and instead live a life that is hers. A life that she can earn for herself and be proud of. However, her family, society, and even her childhood crush place barriers to her futbolera d
Lauren Lanz
Happy publication day to Furia, a lovely contemporary! ❤️

Furia was a story that swept me away from the start with its resilient protagonist and message of female empowerment. It was great to read a about a girl’s passion for sports set in South America, as the cultural aspect really impacted my reading experience for the better.

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

Camilla is a seventeen year old living in Rosario, Argentina. Over the years she has grown used to concealing her love for soccer, as
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

It's always a little stressful picking up a book that all of your friends have loved because it's never fun being the first person to hate on it, but luckily I didn't have to worry about that with FURIA, because I loved every moment of it. I don't even like sports, so the fact that a book about soccer kept me engrossed from start to finish is really testament to the author's abilities to tell a moving story.

Camila is a Palestinian-Argent
jenny✨
💥 9/15/2020: Today has been a bright spot amidst some tumultuous times—happy pub day to one of my fave reads of 2020, Furia!

We’d made the space. We’d filled in the cracks of the system and made room for ourselves where there was none. No one had given us anything. We had taken it.

Goddamn, I really, really loved this book.

It’s not even fair to make the comparison, but this was everything I wanted Kulti to be. This was everything Kulti—with its slut-shaming, double standards, and unrealistic
Amy Imogene Reads
One girl's quest to find herself, do what she loves, find love, and break the cycle of female oppression in contemporary Argentina—this was such a glorious read.

Writing: ★★★★★
Plot/Pacing: ★★★★★
Themes: ★★★★★
Enjoyment: all the stars, it was beautiful

Camila wants to be a female futbol (soccer) player. Raised in a family where her father, her brother, and her close family friend Diego all played and rose to fame on the field, it's in her blood to pound her feet across the field after the ball.

But
Claude's Bookzone
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

CW: (view spoiler)

Well that was a powerful story about female strength and self determination.

As a YA librarian I work hard to ensure our collection is diverse and that all Readers can find themselves represented on our shelves. When I find quality books about young women in sport I am like "mine" (I am not a competent GIF user but in my mind I can see the seagulls from Finding Nemo). I say quality because some of the 'girls in sports' list
Yamile Méndez
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's real. The book of my heart is real! ...more
Sheena
Going into Furia I had high expectations because of all of the good reviews it was getting. I was actually let down immensely. I actually really enjoyed the setting of Argentina, I don’t think I have read a book set there so that was refreshing for me.

Now for Camila as a person, she got on my nerves a lot. She has the “not like other girls” syndrome. Her feelings for Diego were very wishy washy to me, one day she would be in love with him and then the next she would tell him to leave her alone
Mary ツ⋆
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Furia has my whole heart. Literally.

This was absolutely remarkable. Everything about this book was written flawlessly that truly made this book stand out, A strong feminist story that captures a glimpse of the realities that women are facing today.

The best thing about this book is the female protagonist, Camila Hassan, or as we know, "Furia". Everything about her, such as her love for futbol and determination towards achieving her dreams and aspirations is truly inspiring. Throughout the book
h o l l i s
I was | | close to rounding up on this one because there are aspects of this story that are so strong, so wonderful, but I can't quite boost it.

In my barrio, most of the people didn't know my name or even that I existed. To them, I was only Pablo's sister, or Andrés and the seamstress' daughter — my mom, too, was nameless. But I was determined to leave my mark.

If what you've always wanted in life is a YA version of KULTI by Mariana Zapata but with a heavy dose of feminism and very relevant, and
aarya
2020 Fall Bingo (#fallintorombingo🍁): ‪New-To-You Author

Content Notes: (view spoiler)

I’m crying so hard right now. This book isn’t perfect and the end needed more time to breathe (too much happened in a rush), but I have ALL THE FEELS. Gah. I am incoherent.

I read this via the library despite receiving an arc; the PDF format hurt my eyes and I couldn’t get through the arc.

Dis
Nursebookie
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing more I enjoy reading than a powerful #OWNVOICES novel about a young woman who is able to rise above societal expectations to navigate her own path to adulthood. This book was written in a first person narrative that was completely relatable for many young adults, and that many readers will find themselves immersed. Within this amazing story, Mendez highlights strength, resilience, coming-of-age, in a society that is deeply patriarchal and sexist.

Camilla is an obedient daughter
Camilla
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, audiobook
“It took so little for a spark of faith to ignite a fire. It took so little for that faith to turn into ambition.”

Furia is about Camila Hassan, an girl from Argentina who dreams of a career as a soccer player. She has so many rocks on her path, such as troubled family relationships, the lack of female professional teams on her country and poverty.

I really enjoyed this, especially being from South America myself. A lot of what Camila went through was very relatable to me as a Brazilian, a
nitya
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 really

RTC when my brain isn't mush!
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

Super grateful to Algonquin Young Readers for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book, I think in the beginning it may have been difficult to read, but I'll explain more about that later, in general, it was incredible, and I managed to love this story more and more as it progressed to ended up in love with that ending. It has a wonderful progression, the author has done an incredible job with a fluid and easy-to-read style even when deali
Alaina
Randomly saw that this was available on hoopla and I give zero regrets.

Furia brought me back to my soccer days. Oh man, my ninja self scoring left and right on the field. Was I a rising star? Psh - no. Was I good enough? Probably in my mind. Did I enjoy it? For a while but then I definitely started to hate the sport. I don't even watch soccer on TV anymore.

Back to the book, now Camila is good - like really good - at soccer. She was unapologetically herself in every way, shape, and form. Even if
Fanna
May 26, 2020 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
June 12, 2020: When a book is said to be perfect for fans of The Poet X, you will find me jumping at the chance to read an early copy of it, and thanks to the publishers, I can read FURIA: an ownvoices story about an Argentinian girl—who is a rising soccer star—and a friends-to-lovers romance!

June 11, 2020: The cover has just been revealed and it's an illustrated beauty!

May 27, 2020: We have an ownvoices rep with Argentinian MC and a friends-to-lovers romance.
Larry H
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yamile Saied Méndez’s new YA novel, Furia , is a powerful, poignant story about standing up for yourself and going for your dreams, no matter what others say.

Camila dreams of being a fútbol star but she lives in the shadow of her less-talented brother, who plays for a local team. When she plays, her teammates call her La Furia (The Fury), as she weaves her way back and forth across the field, scoring goals and bewildering their opponents.

When her team qualifies for the South American tourname
Bookphenomena (Micky)

Wow!

This was a fantastic feminist YA, with coming of age themes all set in the context of futbol in Argentina. I love a sporting context book, especially those empowering women and if you want a YA that strongly empowers young women, then look no further. There is a romance in this story but it is pitched well and doesn’t overpower the story or the amazing heroine Camila ‘Furia’ Hassan.

Set in the barrios of a city in Argentina, the background for FURIA was rich, vibrant, dangerous and varied. Th
stretchybookworm
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review: https://www.inabookshell.com/2020/09/...

Cover

First of all, we are going to talk about the cover, that’s a striking cover, now that I’ve read the book, the cover is more than that. It shows a brave woman who’s not afraid to face the harsh realities and make the best out of things.

Characters/Plot

There was significance to every single character. Camila is one of the best protagonists I’ve read in all YA novels. She was sincere, hard-working, ambitious, and also very tough on herself.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Oh wow, how do I do this book justice? I fear that I can't, but I will do my very best! First, I expected I'd like this book, it's been on my TBR since I first heard about it, but wow did it deliver! So we're just going to talk about everything I loved about Furia!

►First, I have to start by saying that I am a huge sucker for women-in-sports books. I think because I spent my young adu
Eva K (journeyofthepages)
Furia by Yamile Saied Mendez is an empowering story about a young woman who seeks to break the cycle of oppression, sexism, and violence against women in Argentina. With a dream to play futbol professionally, become her own person and find her own voice, Camila will stop at nothing to make her dreams come true.

This story addresses some very difficult subjects but does so delicately and honestly. One of the main issues is female oppression and stereotyping in Argentina; another issue is domestic
Cande
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as pausados
Give me all the books with Argentinian MCs, pretty please. And as a plus, we get to mock Argentina machismo. OMG SIGN ME UP.
Samantha (WLABB)
Camila's parents wanted her to study hard and become a doctor, but she had her own dreams. She aspired to become a professional soccer player. However, this was not something "good girls" did where she came from, so she had to secretly pursue this dream. With her team earning a spot in an upcoming tournament, Camila could not afford to hide her passion any longer. With so many obstacles, she wondered if her dream was even possible, if her family would not support her.

This book was so good! Firs
Sofia S.
(HAPPY RELEASE DAY TO FURIA!!!!)

Thank you to the publisher and to Edelweiss+ for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own!

For my full review with more details about each point I made, quotes & more about the author, check out this review on my blog!

----

My head is bursting with thoughts at this book. Since this will inevitably alllll over the place unless I give it a structure, here are...

THE THINGS I LOVED:

Camila Hassan "Furia" is a wonde
Kate (GirlReading)
An empowering, infuriating and heartfelt story of resilience, passion, family, first love and the strength of women.

This book had me feeling very emotion from rage to admiration to sheer joy. I felt for Camila with every ounce of my being. Her passion and strength seeped through the pages and into my heart in such a memorable way. The myriad of relationships dynamics presented were written wonderfully and I felt every bit of Camila's love, conflict, confusion and anger within them.

I believe Fu
2TReads
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mendez wastes no time in setting up the narrative that propels this fast-paced, fresh, feminist story forward.

Camila loves football and she is very talented, but is confined and constrained by a society that still holds on to archaic beliefs of what a young woman should do and how she should act. However, Camila is strong-willed and determined to see that she keeps on the track that will lead to her achieving her destiny, and she must rely on her fortitude to see it through. She will do this whi
pagesofchapters
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
(arc received by netgalley)

This own voices ya novel was absolutely phenomenal. Firstly I really enjoyed the authors writing style as it was so fluid and easy to read, while still being complex enough that I felt truly immersed in every single scene. I loved all of the characters and in particular our main character Camila. She was such a strong and independent character, and I truly loved seeing her ambition and drive to achieve the life she has always wanted. She honestly left me feeling so ins
Amparo Ortiz
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FURIA is an outright masterpiece. Mendez made me rabidly cheer for Camila (a.k.a. Furia) and burst into fits of rage whenever others tried to bring her down. I wanted to pick her up and carry her to her dreams-come-true, far from the venomous man who calls himself a father, and the prying eyes of a world that's not ready for her greatness. There's also one of the kindest boys I've ever seen in YA fiction, an uncertain future with gut-wrenching twists, and so, so much heart. Furia's journey is on ...more

• Silver Meadows Summer
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • The Moon Within
  • Diamond City (The City of Diamond and Steel, #1)
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • All of Us with Wings
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Pet
  • Into the Tall, Tall Grass
  • This Train Is Being Held
  • Color Me In
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Music from Another World
  • Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
  • Like Vanessa
See top shelves…
Yamile (sha-MEE-lay) is a fútbol obsessed Argentine-American. She’s the mother of 5 kids and 2 adorable dogs. Yamile’s an inaugural Walter Dean Meyers Grant recipient, a graduate of Voices of our Nation (VONA) and the Vermont College of Fine Arts MFA Writing for Children program.
She’s represented by Linda Camacho, from the Gallt and Zacker Literary Agency.

Articles featuring this book

Ellen Oh is an award-winning author of middle grade and young adult novels such as Spirit Hunters, The Dragon Egg Princess, and A Thousand...
“Our family was stuck in a cosmic hamster wheel of toxic love, making the same mistakes, saying the same words, being hurt in the same ways generation after generation. I didn’t want to keep playing a role in this tragedy of errors.” 4 likes
“The sense of wonder and possibility – that I owed to the Argentine women who had fought for freedom before the universe conspired and the stars aligned to make me.” 3 likes