Start by marking “The Pie Academy - Master the Perfect Crust and 255 Amazing Fillings, with Fruits, Nuts, Creams, Custards, Ice Cream, and More; Expert Techniques for Making Fabulous Pies from Scratch” as Want to Read:

It’s always time for pie! Whether it’s Blueberry-Pineapple Piña Colada, Triple-Layer Pumpkin-Chocolate, Ricotta Pie with Toasted Almonds, or a Classic Lemon Meringue, Ken Haedrich, dean of The Pie Academy, dishes up a pie for every craving. Discover recipes for all types of crusts and pastry, including gluten-free, whole wheat, and extra-flaky. Learn about the best tools a ...more
Published October 27th 2020 by Storey Publishing, LLC

Be the first to ask a question about The Pie Academy - Master the Perfect Crust and 255 Amazing Fillings, with Fruits, Nuts, Creams, Custards, Ice Cream, and More; Expert Techniques for Making Fabulous Pies from Scratch

Start your review of The Pie Academy - Master the Perfect Crust and 255 Amazing Fillings, with Fruits, Nuts, Creams, Custards, Ice Cream, and More; Expert Techniques for Making Fabulous Pies from Scratch
Dita is taking a break from GR.
Blueberry piña colada pie, anyone? How about Raspberry and Red Currant?

I was the kid who had to have "birthday pie" instead of a cake. My love affair began at age 8 with a tart cherry hand pie and my devotion has never wavered.

I will use prepared crust but my best pies have always been the ones where I've rolled out my own dough. Ken Haedrich gave me a few tips and I look forward to putting them to good use.

This book is stuffed with great ideas, step by step instructions and loads of glorious ph
Briar's Reviews
I am DETERMINED to try a whole bunch of these. Honestly, this was a truly incredible collection! It has absolutely gorgeous and stunning pictures that made me SO HUNGRY IT'S UNBELIEVABLE!

There's a whole bunch of different types of pies for every pie lover out there! It's a great collection for both amateur bakers (like myself) and experienced bakers to try out some new recipes. I highly recommend picking this book up. It's everything I expected and more. Especially since it has some background i
Tamar overwhelmed by work - on temporary hiatus
This book is GORGEOUS….I drooled over every page (thank goodness I didn’t short circuit my computer while reading). The Pie Academy is loaded with an amazing array of pie crusts and pie recipes ranging from the classics to the exotic. All with detailed instructions, photos and tips.

That being said, I’m what you call a quick, no muss no fuss cook and baker (at least that is my goal when I enter the kitchen). No huge kitchen-aid on my counter, if I can’t do the prep in just a few minutes, my atten
Susan Z
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I dream of being someone who can bake pies. After reading this book, it may actually be in my future.

An extensive section of the necessary tools and pantry staples is included, plus a step by step tutorial, all essential for a novice.

But don't be fooled thinking this book is just for newbies, there are tons of options for upping your game, from complicated crust preparations, numerous dough options and over 200 fillings.

I like when cookbooks work for the novice and experienced cook alike, and
Alicia Bayer
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This week I had the opportunity to preview two pie cookbooks that are premiering this fall, this one and The Book of Pie. I was curious which one I'd recommend over the other but they are both great books in their own rights with different strengths, so I'm happy to give them both 5 stars and recommend both.

While this book doesn't have nearly as many photos as The Book of Pie (which offers a picture of every single pie in the book), this one makes up for it in sheer number of recipes. I love the
Literary Soirée
Been watching the Great British Baking Show and HAD to request the ARC for PIE ACADEMY. That gorgeous cover made me gasp!

I did have download problems, but saw stunning color photos and read more at Storey Publishing’s website. What a fantastic book for making every pie imaginable, from lovely classics like apple or lemon meringue, to mouthwatering Triple-Layer Pumpkin-Chocolate or Dense Cherry-Almond Coffeecake Pie. My head is spinning with all the choices.

The tricky how-tos of pie crusts, with
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Pies! No other food brings such rich memories of home baking as pies do for me. My mom was a pie baker. My grandma was a pie baker. And I am a pie baker. I remember the table of pies my grandma made for Thanksgiving, for Christmas, for Easter, sometimes just for Sunday dinner. Lemon meringue pie. Cherry pie. Pecan pie. Apple pie. Chocolate pie. Banana pecan pie. When my grandma passed away, it was her box of pie recipes I chose in memory of her.

I am always in search of books about pies. Pie Acad
Sara Hill
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pie Academy by Ken Haedrich is a comprehensive book of pie making for any skill level.

This book goes over the tools and things you need to know before you start. It contains a very comprehensive troubleshooting guide that is organized by category. My favourite little addition was the list of pies you can mail to people. I would never think of mailing a pie to someone, but that could be a fun idea.

The book covers several crusts and fillings. Each pie has a very detailed step by step instruction
Chantal
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, netgalley
This book had a lot of American pie recipes. Beautiful pictures in the beginning, but I missed them with the pies. Also the recipes have a lot of sugar in them, and the book is not really for the international market because of the weird measurements.
Online Eccentric Librarian
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, cookbook, non-fiction

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Pie Academy is pretty much everything you would want in a book about the subject: discussions on pie plates, tools, techniques; a wide selection of recipes; and plenty of beautiful photographs of the finished product. The author combines old and new, traditional and experimental to provide a wide range of fail safe pies.

The first part of the book is all about the making of a pie: pins, pans, blenders, flour, fats, fi
Johanna Sawyer
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely book on pie! This was a beautiful book with over 400 pages on some really gorgeous types of dessert pie. The author gives you 25 types of crust, and a wide variety of fruit, custard, and holiday pies. Simple, easy to use directions, and various types of toppings and whip cream recipes, and lots of tips and tricks.

What did I like? I have never baked a pie.... and I’m not a big eater of desserts. The only pie I have ever eaten....sadly is store bought. That being said I have always wanted
Barbara
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For pitiful pie makers like me, this book offers alternatives to standard pie crusts and pies. I borrowed the book from my library, but I will soon have my own purchased copy. It offers step by step instructions for making many varieties of pie, with tips on tools and buying ingredients. Fruit pies, chiffon pies, chocolate pies, pecan pies, and custard pies are a few of my favorites.
Wpn
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The photos in this book are BEAUTIFUL! Well lit and nicely styled. Curated thoughtfully and elegantly so that you have no other choice but to deeply crave pie, of course :) I have been baking a ton since covid hit, but have felt bored of the classic apple pie and pumpkin pie variations. This book has SO MANY pie recipes and it is divine. I was drawn to earmarking pretty much all of them which is rare for me with a cookbook. Looking forward to using up a ton of fresh fruit and perfecting my crust ...more
Caitlin
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, netgalley
"One thing you won't find here are detailed instructions on creating labor-intensive pastry still lifes, the sort of pies that become Instagram starlets."

Tips on how to mail a pie were super handy. He is all-inclusive with his advice.

I appreciated how the author, our “dean” of the Pie Academy, is accessibly and friendly in his tone - not lofty or self-important.

Amazingly vast assortment of recipes, though I wish there had been more photos. Also, for the photos present, wish there was a caption
Femke
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Every pie you can imagine (in every composition you can image) is in this book. It is a bit old school and I personally would like more photographs, but wow… It also has a lot of interesting facts, tips, and tricks. I also really appreciate the step by step and troubleshooting guide, because making pies can be hard! Ken Haedrich also sounds like an amazing person who really wants you to succeed in baking. A beautiful book! And, for a European, the converting table to the metric system is a real ...more
Brindi Michele
not a photo of every recipe, but if I were to have a pie cookbook in my baking collection, I'm thinking this one would be it.... ...more
Cozy Book Spot
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best pie cookbooks I've seen. This book is very organized and it has lots of techniques and great recipes. The author's photos throughout the book makes it more personal and fun. It's nice to be able to see the person behind all these amazing recipes. The pie photos are breathtaking! There are lots of great tips including how to mail a pie! There are lots of different crusts and fillings for you to choose from. From the traditional pies (pumpkin, apple, chess) to fancy and well elabor ...more
Jo
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pie Academy by Ken Haedrich is full of amazing recipes and techniques for making all kinds of wonderful pies. Full of all the information you need to know on how to make the pastry and the various fillings.

Thank you to netgalley for letting me read this.
Rhiannon Johnson
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Critically acclaimed dean of The Pie Academy, Ken Haedrich reveals all his secrets for creating a perfect pie through step-by-step photographic tutorials including crust and pastry variations such as gluten-free, whole wheat, and extra flaky. Great for bakers of all levels, Pie Academy is packed full of classic recipes (Classic Lemon Meringue, Butterscotch Pecan), new creations (Apple Pear Pie with Hot Pepper Jell
Denise
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I can’t say enough great things about this book. This book. Overs everything from how to make the perfect crust(s) to the toppings. There is even a troubleshooting guide at the end. This book is full of pictures, tips, and tricks. It is the perfect resource for anyone who likes any pie! Highly recommended for everyone!

* I received an advanced reader’s copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review
Meghan
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Storey Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I could not get enough of this cookbook. Our patrons including myself are fans of cookbooks that show step-by-step photos throughout the baking process because sometimes when you follow a recipe, you're unsure if you are doing each step correctly and having a picture to show for it makes it a lot easier to make a fantastic pie, Can't wait
Janet
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I AM BORED!!)

From the publisher, as I do not repe
Alexandra
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Great for pie lovers and bakers. Different crusts and fillings to look at. As well as techniques and information. Nicely put together.
Onceinabluemoon
Left a bad taste in my mouth, dnf... Had Kindle version and it kept leaving book for authors website, I ended up turning off WiFi to stop that intrusion, I call that a rotten marketing ploy. Wasn't happy with ingredients, like using frozen limeade verses why not fresh limes, I guess he wasn't selling limes. I was instantly turned off with web hijacking and never changed my sour note, who doesn't finish a cookbook! Very few pics, food is visual, oh wait, he wanted me at his website anyway... ...more
Michelle Noble
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is a must have for the novice and experienced pie maker alike. The author explains everything down to the last detail, There a beautiful pictures of equipment that one should have on hand. There are also beautifully photos at each step of the process. I have to admit that the one thing I looked for was the use of white vinegar in a basic pie crust. This is a must for me to take any decent pie cookbook, because it's the one ingredient that ensures that you will have a flaky crust! H ...more
Katie
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pie Academy is more than a collection of recipes. It is all things pie. From Part One "Behind the Scenes" to the troubleshooting guide at the end of the book, this is a stockpile of knowledge. I especially love the tricks "recipes for success" included with some of the recipes. I can't decide which pie to make first.

Thanks to netgalley for the advanced reader copy.
Amanda
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the copy of this book.

I love this book! I'm a big fan of pies and I love making them so having this many recipes at my fingertips is great.
A great book for novices and professional bakers. Very informative and great instructions.

I will be buying this book when it's released to add to my collection
Basicsadie
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! One of the most extensive pie books I have ever had the pleasure of putting my hands on! Everything you ever wanted to know about how to make a pie, with almost an unlimited supply of dough and pie recipes I have ever encountered in one book! 480 pages, beautifully photographed, well-written, very informative, and plenty of recipes to chose from, this will put a smile on the face of anyone who loves to make a pie, as well as those you like to eat pie! A MUST have in my kitchen!
Angel La
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book with lovely recipes. The standard fruits, but also an unique twist in the original. I’d love to see other fruits as well, like pear or tropical fruits. I guess that hasn’t been experimented with yet! I do recommend it, it has a lot of detailed information about how to work the dough for example.
SiilBookishPastrychef
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m big fan of the all pies! And this book it’s my favorite, There are a variety of recipes that I did not follow and the fillings look spectacular, I will have to make a great list of those I want to make..
« previous 1 3 next »
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - November 2 - The Pie Academy 1 4 Nov 02, 2020 10:23AM

• The Book on Pie: Everything You Need to Know to Bake Perfect Pies
  • 100 Cookies: The Baking Book for Every Kitchen, with Classic Cookies, Novel Treats, Brownies, Bars, and More
  • The Secret Ingredient Cookbook: 125 Family-Friendly Recipes with Surprisingly Tasty Twists
  • Big Love Cooking: 75 Recipes for Satisfying, Shareable Comfort Food
  • Let's Fix Lunch: Enjoy Delicious, Planet-Friendly Meals at Work, School, or On the Go
  • Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends From Scratch Cookbook: A Collection of Over 270 Recipes for Simple Hearty Meals and More
  • Clean Treats for Everyone: Healthy Desserts and Snacks Made with Simple, Real Food Ingredients
  • Modern Cast Iron: The Complete Guide to Selecting, Seasoning, Cooking, and More
  • Mediterranean Every Day: Simple, Inspired Recipes for Feel-Good Food
  • Christmas Delights: A Faith-Filled, Family Favorite Holiday Cookbook
  • Chasing Flavor: Tastes and Techniques for Full-Flavored Cooking
  • Sustainable Kitchen; Recipes and Inspiration for Plant-based, Planet-conscious Meals
  • Sheet Pan Chicken: 50 Simple and Satisfying Ways to Cook Dinner [A Cookbook]
  • Japanese Cooking Recipes
  • Basic Bitchen: 100+ Everyday Recipes—from Nacho Average Nachos to Gossip-Worthy Sunday Pancakes—for the Basic Bitch in Your Life
  • Sous Vide Cooking Made Simple: Techniques, Ideas and Recipes to Cook at Home
  • WitchCraft Cocktails: From Aphrodite's Love Potion to Mercurial Grounding Elixir, 75 Seasonal Drinks Infused with Magic and Ritual
  • The Mexican Home Kitchen: Traditional Home-Style Recipes That Capture the Flavors and Memories of Mexico

News & Interviews