Start by marking “The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable” as Want to Read:
The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable

The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable

Lencioni delivers a provocative message. CEOs mainly have themselves to blame when things go wrong. If you're a CEO (or a manager for that matter), do you have the courage to face it? Doing so could change your future -- for the better.
Published September 28th 1998 by Jossey-Bass (first published 1998)

Start your review of The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
K.D. Absolutely
Don't be misled by the title. Even if you are just a manager, supervisor, team lead or even a parent, that makes you a leader and you can learn a thing or two about your role in your team.

The book is told via a fable. It tells the story of Andrew a first-time CEO who on the eve of this first presentation to the board found himself sharing a coach with Charlie in a midnight train on his way back home from his office. During their conversation they were joined by 3 more people who attested to the f
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-spirit
What is it like to be a CEO of a company? I have wondered about this question for as long as I have dreamt to be in the position of a Chief Executive someday, somehow, somewhere. But since reading this book years ago, I gave all that up to go start my own company ....

Now, about this book: Having thoroughly enjoyed Lencioni's fable in “Five Dysfunctions of a Team”, I delved into this fable with the same anticipation.

Lencioni writes well – short and sweet – I finished this one on the
Mark
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Love everything Lencioni writes. Here is a quick summary in case you don't want to read a whole book lol
Temptation #1 – Status over Results
Unsuccessful CEO's focus on preserving their status within the organization, instead of on delivering performance and results. Watching a leader protect his turf at the expense of company performance is not uncommon, and is often evident following a promotion.
Temptation #2 – Popularity over Accountability
Unsuccessful CEO's do not hold
Sarina
Very enjoyable. But a bit scary. Cause we all suffer from those temptations from time to time, and it's hard to get away or overcome them, in order to bring out the best in ourselves and the teams we work with, to make things that matter and help people.
Tõnu Vahtra
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While having read quite a few books by Lencioni already („Five Dysfunctions of a Team“; „Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team“; „The Advantage“; „The Truth about Employee Engagement), this book starts to repeat the core concepts a bit. But as it precedes the other books then the angle of the presented information is different and I could still find good insights and new perspectives from it. I could even understood better how the author developed the ideas that he later presented in 5 dysf ...more
Scott
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book limits you realising the benefit to every leadership role.

Once again Patrick Lencioni delivers a brilliant book about leadership. The brilliance of Patrick is not just in the way he delivers his great books as a fable; but the way he is willing to use words that at first glance appear challenging and even somewhat controversial.

In this great book Patrick explores the 5 areas, or temptations, that impact every role who is a leader. Essentially coveri
Jason Carter
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership, business
This is one of Lencioni's earlier books, though one to which I came to late. It follows the pattern of each of the rest of his books, in that his key points are presented in the form of a business fable, with the fable explained by a model in the latter portion of the book.

The fable portion, especially, in this book is kinda cheesy. And because I've read several of his later books, there were few surprises in his main message. That message is that CEOs fail because they are susceptib
Ligeia
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a quick read and a handy book for any CEO or budding CEO, manager, supervisor, etc. It cuts to the chase using a fable about a CEO, the read is a day, maybe less, quicker readers might find it is a lunch hour book.

And while it is short, it is definitely a book for keeping your head straight and focused where it comes to mentoring your directs.

I wrote down my notes in a management book I am creating for myself when on the job - it amounts to little things that matter in terms of profess
Mike
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Five Temptations of a CEO is a short read with a lot of value. The author fills an engaging story with leadership lessons that any leader can learn from. This book is simple and to the point but doesn't lack substance. I found this to be a really refreshing read and couldn't put it down. I think it becomes easy for anyone in a leadership role to lose sight of what's most important. However, recognizing the five temptations Mr. Lencioni has outlined will be helpful for not falling into that t ...more
Dennis Cuffel
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this a number of year ago and I am just now adding to Goodreads. The summary is still relevant today. How do you overcome the Temptations...

Temptation #1: Status
Liang Gang Yu
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brent Strandy
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five Temptations is a fantastic read. This book applies not only to CEOs, but to anyone leading a team or anyone with aspirations of leading a team. The fable is engaging, simple to follow and took only two hours to read. The tangible actions Lincioni provides for avoiding the five temptations are easy to understand yet difficult to execute.

In the end, this book provides an amazing roadmap for any leader and I highly recommend spending the 2 hours to read it.
Avi
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A book to re-read every year. Helps to keep your feet on the fire as a manager. Deals with the most common problems managers face on a regular basis. And tells the story in an easy to read fable. Should be on every the reading list of every manager and business. Hat tip to Shannon Byrne-Susko and her book the Metronome Effect.
Michael Wolcott
Super quick read that lays a decent foundation about self-realization necessary in business. The fable is a little more fictional and less factual than his other stories, which was different. Definitely had many parallels to 5 dysfunctions, which may be more helpful in providing useful strategies. There was not much that was offered in terms of helping people change just providing the awareness.
Jordan Silva
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really short listen compared to a lot of other books, but worthwhile. The storyline of the fable was a bit goofy (very a Christmas Carol) but at least it was entertaining and a funny plot twist at the end deliver a decent message.

It's a book I would have actually wanted more of, so I guess that is a recommendation.
Rafi Khan
Some useful advice

Not as timeless or believable as 5 dysfunctions of a team. Some good things to think about, and the self assessment was helpful at the end. Otherwise, the story was not too compelling or believable, and felt more just like a way to get the 5 temptations out there in a "different" way.
Max Cojevnicov
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book, I would compare it with a refreshing shower in the desert.
It refreshed my mind and helped me see the real dangers of a CEO in his relationships with others and also in his view of himself.
So grateful to the author for his sincerity, creativity and above all for his strong faith in God that he is unashamed of.
Bala Siva
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read!

Simple and powerful concept on why CEOs fail and told in an engaging parable, reinforced by model and self assessment tool. I will recommend it to any one wanting learn and improve their leadership skills.
AbdulRahman AlAli
Bird eye view of styles in leadership and management

The story telling style grabbed attention. Summary at the end with shedding the light on the important points and questions to assess the temptations was fascinating
Jaipal
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a simple and easily understood book about what five characteristics are required to be a good CEO. Some of those same characteristics can be applied for managers.

It's told in a simple story form which is easy to understand.
Jayakrishnan S
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don't be misled by the title. The five temptations enumerated are as much applicable to any executive as they are to a CEO (and for that matter, even individual contributors!). An insightful read for those who haven't read "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team".
Jessica
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easy read - simple concepts presented in an easy-to-digest fable - like medicine, but difficult to swallow if you are not prepared to fix what is going wrong. Lencioni’s concepts delve into the the heart of issues facing many teams and organizations today.
Marko
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: management
The content is solid, but this book is like one of those 2h meetings that could've been an email. The 5 temptations are repeated 3 times throughout the book and reworded and concluded over and over again.
Emma
The fun is, I had expected really complicated temptations, but they were not. They were quite human. I'd never expect that CEO's would have these flaws. I wonder if they really do. The fable format worked very well for me.
Hira Hasan
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best translated one.
Steven
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A
Mohammad Coo
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book
Matt Austin
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written in a fable style like David Chiltons The Wealthy Barber. A quick and important read for fast-paced CEO's to maintain their grounding.
John Jacobson
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great reminders on leadership. Timeless principles.
Alexandra
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast to read and quick to understand, reflect and practice !
Really insightful and not just at CEO level , but for everyone working on their leadership skills.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Courageous Leadership
  • The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization
  • Rocket Fuel: The One Essential Combination That Will Get You More of What You Want from Your Business
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow: A Landmark Study of Great Leaders, Teams, and the Reasons Why We Follow
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Steal the Show: From Speeches to Job Interviews to Deal-Closing Pitches, How to Guarantee a Standing Ovation for All the Performances in Your Life
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he
“Wanting to be popular with your direct reports instead of holding them accountable.” 0 likes
“The most important principle that an executive must embrace is a desire to produce results. As obvious as this sounds, it is not universally practiced by the highest-ranking executives in many companies. Many CEOs put something ahead of results on their list of priorities, and it represents the most dangerous of all the temptations: the desire to protect the status of their careers.” 0 likes