Start by marking “3 Bowls: Vegetarian Recipes from an American Zen Buddhist Monastery” as Want to Read:
3 Bowls: Vegetarian Recipes from an American Zen Buddhist Monastery

3 Bowls: Vegetarian Recipes from an American Zen Buddhist Monastery

3 BOWLS presents the outstanding vegetarian specialties that draw thousands of visitors each year to Dai Bosatsu Zendo, a traditional Zen monastery in New York's Catskill Mountains. From Sesame Crepes with Portobello Mushrooms in Port Cream Sauce and Spaghetti with Chipotle and Garlic to Coconut-Pecan Carrot Cake with Orange Cream-Cheese Frosting, these recipes are deftly ...more
Published May 16th 2000 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about 3 Bowls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 3 Bowls

Patricia
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-and-cooking
This amazing insight into the kitchen and other workings of a Zen Buddhist monastery in the Catskills of New York is a delightful read even without the recipes. Beautiful calligraphy by Eido T Shimano Roshi highlights main topics that the head chef, Seppo Ed Farrey, discusses throughout the book. Favorite recipes include herbed sesame polenta with roasted vegetables, Japanese style curry and butternut black bean soup. Even though this book is not made to be gluten-free, many of the recipes conta ...more
Gregory
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A delightful mix of wonderful vegetarian recipes, including background on the recipes coupled with Zen kitchen wisdom. The writing style is straightforward and engaging, and the recipes themselves are simple yet enticing. Ask of that along with a view into life at the monastery.
Nicholas Hunter
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
A charming and useful collection of recipes with a side of Buddhist wisdom. Marked down from five to four stars because of a reliance on some hard-to-source ingredients.
Carmen
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
really a great book to learn how to cook from, and to return to over and over again. how hard to allow simplicity.
Barbara
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My all time favorite and most used recipe book. A little bit of Zen... a lot of great recipes.
Rachel
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent recipes and attitude.
Jonette
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-baking

The Schezaun green beans recipe is simple and utterly delicious.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Aug 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
My favorite recipe is Pasta Puttanesca (p.58.)
Karen
Jan 11, 2012 added it
Do cookbooks count as reading material if you borrow them from the library and have as many piled up on your bedside table as you do on the shelf in your kitchen?
Al
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Delicious, simple hot breakfast cereal recipes.
Mona
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous vegetarian cookbook, featuring recipes from a Zen monastery in upstate NY.
Gina
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can't give it 5 stars because I haven't actually made anything from here yet. From what I've read this book is going to be my new go to for inspiration. Most recipes are already vegan or can easily be modified.

I loved reading about the inner workings of the monastery. I need to go & I'm finding signs everywhere. It's been calling me.
Eric
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
While not a vegan cookbook, it's still a very cool book, and recipes like rice porridge and such are worth looking at!
Brandon
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book allot of vegan recipes. I made the shiitake soba noodle I was amazed how great the dashi turned out. I only saw one recipe that required Parmesan cheese you can easily find a vegan substitute.
Linster
Jul 26, 2016
MARY WHARTON ALEXANDER
Sep 08, 2017
Nancy O'Hara
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »