Jump to ratings and reviews

Sources Say

Two exes. One election. All the drama.

For fans of Becky Albertalli and Morgan Matson comes a funny, hearfelt novel about fueding exes running for class president and the scandal that makes the previously boring school election the newest trending hashtag.

At Acedia High School outside of Boston, student council has always been nothing more than a popularity contest. Nobody pays attention. Nobody cares.

But all that changes when the Frankengirls show up. During the very first week of school, someone plasters the halls with Photoshopped images of three "perfect tens"--images of scantily clad girls made from real photos of girls at school. The student body is livid. And the two presidential candidates, Angeline Quinn and Leo Torres, jump on the opportunity to propose their solutions and secure votes. After their messy break up, Leo and Angie are fighting tooth and nail to win this thing and their constituents are mesmerized as they duke it out.

As if things couldn't be more dramatic, the school's two newspapers get involved. The Red & Blue is run by Angie's sister Cat and she prides herself on only reporting the facts. But her morals are tested when The Shrieking Violet--written by an anonymous source and based less on facts and more on fiction--blatantly endorses Leo. Rumors fly, secrets are leaked, and the previously mundane student election becomes anything but boring.

300 pages, Hardcover

First published September 8, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lori Goldstein

6 books430 followers
Lori Goldstein earned her BA in journalism but eventually found her true writing passion in the world of fictional people. She's never met a beach she didn't love, a book she wouldn't read, or a strange food she wouldn't try. She is the author of SOURCES SAY, which Kirkus calls "Entertaining, thought-provoking, and heartwarming"; SCREEN QUEENS, which Kirkus calls "a fun and uplifting story that celebrates female friendship and empowerment"; and the VOYA-starred young adult contemporary fantasy series BECOMING JINN.

You can visit her online at www.lorigoldsteinbooks.com and interact on Instagram at @lorigoldsteinbooks and Twitter at @loriagoldstein.

Like my author page on Facebook for fun book-related photos, tidbits, and happenings as well as news on upcoming releases.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
20 (14%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 43 reviews
Profile Image for Melanie (mells_view).
1,680 reviews310 followers
September 8, 2020
”You want to stand out, stand the eff up and do what you’re always saying: Bring it.”

Sources Say is a cheeky YA contemporary take on the current political climate in America and the chaos that takes place during election years. Student Council elections at Acedia Charter School are usually the least important thing on the student bodies mind. (Which is funny to me because in reality it seems like today’s teens are way more conscious about politics than even the adults I graduated with are now.) Throw in a new government teacher who makes it exciting and the fact that this year two of the schools most popular seniors are throwing their hats in the ring for President, and let’s just say Acedia is on the next level of political excitement. Of course both president hopefuls are running with their own personal motivations in mind, and less about actually helping the school. The school that is in desperate need for some change concerning the fair treatment of its students. Did I also mention those two students are recent exes?

Sources Say does a good job using the ecosystem of a high school to cover the dueling extremes of the two-party system, the differences between honest news and falsely propagated “news”, and the navigation of relationships that are platonic, romantic, and familial. The story is told through the eyes of two sisters who don’t quite see eye to eye. Cat is a bit of a loner who is highly focused on the school paper, and her dreams of going to Northwestern. Angeline is a popular Vlogger, and is using the election to gain her way into a vlogger boot camp, so that her channel and reach will only get bigger. Both of these characters are affected by the election in different ways, and it also has impacts on their relationship/s that I don’t think either of them saw when the whole thing started.

All in all this is a good read if you want to read about politics in a lighter way, and enjoy subtle coming of age and life lessons. I enjoyed the relationship growth and change between Cat and Angeline, and how they sort of learn about themselves over the course of the election. The fact that it felt like the author was definitely poking fun at the way politics and the media surrounding it work was also pretty amazing. At this point it’s all a bit grim, so we may as well find some small way to laugh about it while we fight to change it. Definitely pick this one up if you need something light involving high school politics.

AVAILABLE NOW!
*ARC provided by PenguinTeen through NetGalley
Profile Image for The Nerd Daily.
720 reviews341 followers
September 16, 2020
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

If you’re looking for a good, dramatic, hilariously over the top at times high school drama, then this is the book you’re looking for. I had so much fun reading this book because I felt like I was right back in high school, but with some social media issues attached alongside. Angeline and Cat couldn’t be anymore different, and I loved seeing how their stories play out as the story progresses. If you’re looking for something that’s more on the light-hearted side, but with good messages about the dangers of popularity and social media, then this is definitely one to get on your radar. I needed this fun story in my life after all of this dark fantasy I’ve been consuming!

Read the FULL REVIEW on The Nerd Daily
Profile Image for gracie.
63 reviews4 followers
November 14, 2020
omgggggggggg! my favorite novel BY FAR! i loved the drama, politicians, harry potter references, and obviously ✨romance✨
Profile Image for Erin (erinevelynreads).
291 reviews31 followers
September 21, 2020
Sources Say had so much potential at the start, with a great concept, but overall it fell flat for me. I liked that the story centered around two sisters but I thought it was poorly executed, mainly because both sisters were horrible characters. Angeline was vain and narcissistic. Kat was whiny, pretentious, and incredibly self-centered. I liked the supporting characters far more. Leo, Angelines opponent in the race for class president was genuine and just wanted the best for the school. Maxine, Angeline’s best friend was a cool developer and deserved much more of a plot.
Profile Image for ChillwithJill.
45 reviews5 followers
September 8, 2020
Never in my wildest imagination did I think I would actively enjoy inviting even more politics into my life. And yet, dang if Sources Says isn’t an absolute treat that seeks to capitalize, satirize and entertain that masses; all while laying out the fundamental issues that the American two-party system is struggling with.

All, of course, shrouded by the fact that the election at the front of the story? Senior Class President in high school.

SO. Angeline And Leo Did Not End Well. And while their relationship may be over, their connection is not. Instead, it’s now fueled by vitriol as they duke out their woes by running for Senior Class President after a Mean Girls inspired prank has left their high school up in arms. Now what are politics if it's not a little dirty, right? Complicating matters are the two school newspapers that get involved-- one, run by Angeline’s sister who insists on maintaining zero bias, and the other who is more interested in shaping wild stories than reporting the truth. All’s Fair in Love, War, and Politics, right?

I mean, you can’t help but laugh at this book. Is it outlandish? Oh yeah. Is it sometimes hard to wrap your head around how people can behave Like That for a mere title? Yep. Were the storylines presented fully reliable-- did you trust the characters? Hm. But hey, that’s what’s going on in the real world today.

Putting aside the overt parallels of high school and the United States Government, this book was an interesting one to read. It’s writing flowed, but with a much more mature and sharp-edged style than I’m used to for lighthearted novels.

Saying that, it did at times stumble from what I call the “How Do You Do, Fellow Kids” clause. In an effort to make Cat sound eDgY and mature, she came across as stiff, unlikable, and rude. It did ease up as the story went along, but I never did grow hot on our girl Cat as much as I did Angeline.

Their relationship, however, was complex, frustrating, and ultimately heartwarming. These are two girls who, despite being constantly thrown together, have little in common. I’d go as far as saying they don’t particularly like each other. But they are sisters and they do grow together as the novel unfolds and Angeline’s campaign starts gaining traction.

The novel’s pace was fast, though I’d accuse the author of maybe setting up too much and never really giving every plot point the time it needed to unravel.

Overall, however, this book is a fun, high school-esque, read that will get you caught up with the world pretty quickly.

3.5/5
Profile Image for Jay G.
1,196 reviews467 followers
October 11, 2020
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

Student Council elections at Acedia Charter School have never been a big deal. But after a very public and nasty break up, Leo and Angeline, two of the most popular kids in school, begin running for President against each other. Angeline's sister Cat, runs the school's newspaper and tries to cover the two opposing parties platforms without bias, but then an anonymous news source called The Shrieking Violet changes the playing field. As things get more personal as the days tick down to election day, the student body becomes engaged in the race like never before. Thus begins The Battle of the Exes.

I wanted to like this more than I did... although it was entertaining at times, I was never fully invested in the story or the characters. I felt as though I was reading just for the sake of finishing the book. I was not a fan of either sister, or their attitudes. Angeline was a popular vlogger, but was extremely self-centered and narcissistic, constantly obsessing over her subscribers and how many likes she could get on her next post. I liked Cat more than Angeline, but I still never really cared for her much. I did like how the sisters relationship developed as the story progressed though, it was nice to watch them grow closer to one another. I liked Leo for the most part, but again, never cared that much about him or his "struggles". My biggest complaint would be the length of the book, I think it could have been shorter and still got the same points across.
Profile Image for Monte Price.
573 reviews1,446 followers
November 9, 2020
I started off by really enjoying this, there was something about the small town setting and sisters that I was really drawn to. As the book progressed however I quickly fell out of love with it. That's not to say that the book doesn't take some time to look at the bonds of sister through the lens of a high pressured Student Council election, it's just that as the book went on I started to care less and less. At times the book felt too focused and not expansive enough, which feels odd to say considering the genre, but even with the slight mystery elements I never really felt like the scope of the story was really wide enough for the reader to actively engage with it and instead was expected to wait for the story to unfold in a rather bland way. The twists that the book concludes with were also odd, feeling more like a hard stop only to then start again and then eventually turn into a rather sad downhill slide to the end of the book.

If there was a saving grace of the novel I did think that Cat and Emmie had an interesting dynamic, I thought that in some ways that relationship was the best develop. There were definitely times were I found that Cat and Emmie had more chemistry than Cat and her actual love interest.

As for how the book actually ends it feels more Saturday made for tv movie than I personally would have liked. I'm certain that there is an audience for this book, and based on the synopsis I thought I was in that number but after having finished the story I find myself wishing that I had chosen to leave this one on the shelf.
Profile Image for Alexia.
222 reviews33 followers
September 8, 2020
This book would have been great if it didn't take me until halfway through the book to get invested. While I thought Angeline was interesting, and I wanted to know more about her and Leo's relationship, I just could not get into Cat and her story line. Ravi was the best part about it, but that didn't get explored until later in the book.

Cat was so judgmental of Angeline, and Angeline was very self centered, so I enjoyed them both realizing where they were wrong and working to be better. Although I had suspicions, there was a twist toward the end that I didn't see coming and it made things exciting and the characters' decisions more high-stakes.

I also really enjoyed the conversation around fake news and what journalism's role is in present times. It was cool to see the way the election in Acedia High reflected the past and current election cycles. There was also good conversation about family and how parents can affect the way their children navigate the world.

Although it took me a while to get into the story, I still would recommend it as I thought the plot was an interesting concept and the characters, especially Leo, were great to read about. I think a lot of people will like the dynamics between the exes and the sisters.

*Thank you to Penguin Teen and Netgalley for this ARC. All opinions are my own*
Profile Image for Peyton.
91 reviews
September 14, 2020
Sources Say is an empowering novel based around a student election between two exes, women’s issues, and two students newspapers. Angeline Quinn is a social media influencer running for student body president to be able to attend a workshop for influencers, while her sister: Cat, is the editor in chief for the student newspaper. Angeline’s ex, Leo Torres, decides to run against Angeline, causing some classic tension. Along the way, an incident occurs where girls are objectified, tension between the exes escalates, and a new newspaper makes it its duty to spread false information. Sources Say is is a fantastically paced novel following the importance of having a voice, using it, and making change.

I absolutely adored the characters, although I found Angeline to be a bit unlikable. Cat was definitely my favorite because she had a lot of depth, but Angeline showed true development near the end. The sisterly relationship in this book was another aspect I loved. The plot really developed the characters, so the movement of the story was very flowy.

As an additional note, the articles, tweets, and text messages were all wonderful add-one to the story that made me feel in touch with the story.

Sources Say is a must-read for people seeking out a book exploring politics, women’s issues, and complex character relationships.

*Thank you to Penguin and Net Galley for supplying me with an ARC. All opinions expressed are my own**
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews221 followers
January 7, 2021
Sources Say is a young adult contemporary standalone by author Lori Goldstein. I thought this book was a lot of fun, park high school hijinks, part revenge competition between exes, and part mystery. Sources Say is about a high school power couple that recently split up. For various individual reasons, they each find themselves running for student council president. When they find out that their ex is running, it makes them each step up their games in a big big way. I really enjoyed this high school election that was also shrouded in a fun mystery.

Sources say is told in multiple points of view, including sisters Angie and Cat, Angie's ex boyfriend Leo and a great cast of supporting characters surrounding them. I loved that there were so many characters because that meant there were multiple different storylines we were following. There is obviously the tension between Angie and Leo as they run against each other, but there was also a good focus on Cat as she ran the school's newspaper as newly appointed editor in chief, as well as the interaction of the strained sister relationship between Cat and Angie. Lori Goldstein managed to pack a lot into this novel, and I loved all of the layers and themes woven in.

Sources Say was a bit immature at times, but I wouldn't really expect anything else from the revenge prank election that it turned into. And it wasn't off-putting to me. I thought all of the characters acted very age appropriate. The mystery of who created the pictures of the "frankengirls" and who was behind the online newspaper- the shrieking Violet were fun additions to the story as well. I wasn't really expecting much of a mystery element when I first started reading the book, but it because a pretty big plotline.

if you are a fan of standalone young adult rivalry stories, I think you will really enjoy Sources Say. I found this to be a very fun and satisfying read. It even managed to surprise me with a few of the reveals!
Profile Image for Samantha (WLABB).
3,327 reviews231 followers
September 13, 2020
I originally imagined the movie Election when I first read about this book, and there was a bit of that in there, but it was so much more.

The heart of this story for me was the tense relationship between Angeline and her sister Cat. Once close, they had grown apart. Therefore, it was wonderful to see this out of control election put them on the same side instead of competing against one another.

Goldstein also incorporates ideas about the responsibility news and media outlets own their consumers, as well as reminding us that consumers have responsibilities as well. It's a reminder to be part of the process, working to have your voice heard in a productive way, and to engage in an authentic way.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Profile Image for Shelby.
661 reviews3 followers
July 28, 2020
*Thanks to the publisher for providing me with an eARC
SOURCES SAY is a story following two sisters who get caught up in their school’s student election, which leads to more recognition than they ever could have anticipated. Angeline & Cat aren’t twins, but they’re so close in age that they’ve always been kind of lumped together, despite the fact they don’t spend lots of time together and kind of resent one another. This dynamic between not-so-close sisters was really interesting to see play out throughout the course of the book. They are so different—Angeline is an upcoming YouTube influencer with lots of friends, and Cat is an aspiring journalist who is more of a loner. Seeing both of their perspectives throughout the book helped the reader understand where their neutrality toward the other comes from, and also shows the evolution of their relationship over the course of the book. I also really enjoyed seeing the politics play out on the page. The battling school newspapers added a lot to the story and was a scaled-down version of what we experience in real-world politics. I did think that the way the election blew up nationally in the book was unrealistic and I didn’t love that this extreme measure was taken. I also thought that some of the contributing factors to making the election blow up were outlandish and confusing; there was a lot going on that added to the fame of the event and was overall too much, in my opinion. In general, I thought the book covered a lot of topics that weren’t all done justice, so I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would if the book had been more concise. Overall though, this was an interesting story following an election and a scaled-down political event, perfect for the upcoming election.
Profile Image for Aspen Montoya.
27 reviews40 followers
October 12, 2020
I’m not really big into reading contemporary books but Penguin Teen sent it to me and I decided to give it a shot. It was interesting enough but at times, I found myself skimming to get through chapters. I can’t say that I particularly loved any of the characters that much because I didn’t feel like I knew them enough. I did love the concept of this book but I did not enjoy the end product as much as I hoped for.

This book did take me a while to get through because I was not super invested in it. I didn’t dislike the book but I do not think I will read it again and the story probably won’t stick with me.
Profile Image for reenie.
542 reviews102 followers
November 1, 2020
I picked this book up, new to Lori Goldstein. I read this in the midst of the 2020 presidential campaign, and I loved this book. I'm always hesitant about books told from the third-perspective, but this book pleasantly surprised me, and I couldn't put it down. I would have read this book in a day if I had the time, but alas. :/

I could go on and on about the metaphorical representations in a high school class council election and the ongoing 2020 presidential election. I initially had a distaste for Angeline, rooting for Cat more because I am living in my sister's shadow, but I appreciate how there are no saints in Sources Say. (That being said, I still like Cat much more than Angeline). Every character succumbs to major mistakes, but the characters are developed enough that it does not make them worse or better people for their mistakes. There are multiple mysteries in the center, and the last plot twist blew my mind. Ravi or Cat and Angeline's grandfather are my favorite characters, hands down. A prominent message about the consequences of politics and a reaction to every action rings clearly as Angeline and Leo battle for the class council president seat. I could rant about all the messages about the dying art of honest, real journalism; hierarchy; smear campaigns and fake news; clickbait; and how politics have devolved into derogatory statements to attack the other opponent, but we all have the internet, especially American citizens living through a divisive election now. High school is a microcosm, and the election reflects how invested the candidates can become; it is their whole world. Lori Goldstein keeps the plot and suspense moving without ever dragging or rushing the book. The reader is swept into 300 pages of thoroughly crafted writing that cheekily offers commentaries of how extreme and faulty a two-party system is and the drama of high school escalating into national headlines. Cat and Angeline brilliantly juxtapose each other as they navigate platonic and romantic, and especially their own fractured sister bond that's been broken for over half their lvies.

Happy Sunday! I hope your day is going well. And if it isn't, I hope that tomorrow or sometime soon, it gets better. Because I promise that it will get better. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day soon. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, and you have to keep going until you exit the tunnel. Life gets rough, but we always find peace.

Do things that make you happy, and above else, amor omnia vincent.

with love forever,
Reenie
💋
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for ♣Bookishbellee♣.
332 reviews40 followers
August 18, 2020
Sources Say

4 stars

Initially, I struggled to get into this one because, although the main characters are teens, I felt the writing style was a bit more mature to connect with. It kind of felt like I was reading an adult book and not a YA contemporary which left me confused and not sure where the preface of the novel would come in. I also really struggled to like both our main female leads. Sisters who couldn’t be more different who both disregarded affection for the other and were pushing their own wants while still wanting to prove to the other they were better. It was an interesting concept to read but not one I could connect to. This, of course. is a personal partiality.

However, as the story progressed, I was enlightened by how the characters developed along with many of the concepts introduced in the novel. I think the author’s focus of showing the way female students are treated in comparison to male students in a way that not only allowed for the main characters to grow and develop but also opened up the eyes of the reader to what is similarly happening in reality is a captivating standpoint. I also think the author did a phenomenal job of showcasing political viewpoints and the importance of voting for change through a school election while also showing the way media can corrupt a person’s image through spreading lies and propaganda. Overall, I think a lot of readers, whether old or young, regardless of gender would benefit greatly to the topics portrayed in the novel.

I also enjoyed the formatting of the novel, I thought adding in social media references/posts along with comments of differing views and standpoints added a lot more to the overall message and tone of the book that made it hit a lot closer to home. And I really, really loved it. I think it showed great character development, had some amazing plot points and topics that can be educational and beneficial for many young readers today, so much so I wish that this novel had been published when I was in high school. It would’ve made me think a lot about the world around me.

There wasn’t a single moment where I wasn’t wholly invested and curious how the election would play out and intrigued by where the characters would be by the end of the novel. But as I stated before, I do think the writing is a bit more mature for a book geared toward young adults md there was a lot going on that could’ve been a bit more fleshed out but other than that truly a phenomenal read and definitely one I recommend.
Profile Image for Kera’s Always Reading.
1,158 reviews38 followers
August 31, 2020
Thank you to Penguin Teen and Razorbill for my gifted DRC in exchange for my honest review.

How did I not know what I was getting into when I started this book? This was so much fun! Sources Say from Lori Goldstein was a very current and relevant look into the inner workings of a political debate and the he said she said ridiculousness that can occur, but on a high school level. And what better time to have this kind of book front and center than right now?

Through a handful of interesting people, we get the story of the big StuCo election of Acedia High, a charter school outside of Boston. The student body has NEVER cared about Student Council before now, but when the school’s golden couple battle against each other for Student Body President, things get real!

Cat is passionately following in her grandfather’s journalist footsteps, working for the student run newspaper and trying to amp up her Northwestern application by winning the coveted Fit to Print award. Meanwhile, her sister Angeline is a rising star of her own Youtube channel focusing on self care and beauty products. Running for President is the only way their mom will allow her to join a coveted Evelyn’s Epic Everyday Boot Camp, something that would secure her stardom in the YouTube world.

Due to events occurring at a big party before the school year starts, Angeline and her longtime boyfriend Leo breakup. Now, Angeline and Leo are running against each other in the battle for Student Body President and things go absolutely crazy! While some of the craziness that ensues is a result of the two of them finding their platform and gunning it, some serious and relevant issues are brought to light.

While Cat is responsible for reporting the election for their school’s Red and Blue paper, a new online news source calling themselves The Shrieking Violet, continues to anonymously report some seriously defamatory news blasts about her sister, Angeline.

Who is in the right and who is in the wrong? Will relationships ever be able to mend after the battles of this election? This was such a great book and it totally left me guessing until the end.
Profile Image for Holly.
573 reviews136 followers
September 14, 2020
I was excited to see this tour opportunity come across, because I loved Lori’s last novel, Screen Queens, and couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one. What a delight it was, and it comes at a perfect time to remind young people of the power of their voices.

Cat and Angeline are about as different as two sisters could be, despite being born only 11 months apart. Cat is intensely interested in journalism, having learned all about it at her grandfather’s knee, and is focused on “just the facts.” Angeline has a substantial social media presence and is a popular vlogger. Cat is mostly a loner, while Angeline has a group of girls with whom she is close -- much closer than she is with her sister, for sure. They definitely rub each other the wrong way and have some significant issues, so I was glad to see their relationship progress through the course of the book.

The most important thing I took away from the book is that all of us, including young people, have both the right *and* the responsibility to use our voice as citizens, whether that be citizens of our country/state/city or of our school community. All involved in the story come to realize the power of their voice -- whether in speaking out against injustice or in casting their vote for student council president. They also learn that they should be responsible and active consumers of information, whether that is found in traditional, “mainstream” media or on social media.

Sources Say is a timely and relevant book: the importance of good journalism, responsible and informed consumption of media, and using one’s voice are all lessons pertinent to America in September 2020! I hope you’ll pick this one up and share it with the young people in your life.

Rating: 4 stars!

**Disclosure: I received an early e-copy of this book from the publisher for purposes of this blog tour. This review is voluntary on my part and reflects my honest rating and review of the book.
Profile Image for Deanna.
485 reviews16 followers
September 12, 2020
Thank you to Razorbill Books and NetGalley for an eARC of this one in exchange for my honest review.

Young adult novel Sources Say has exes Angeline Quinn and Leo Torres pitted against each other for the student council president position. And Cat, Angeline’s sister, is there to report on all the happenings in the Red, White, and Blue. Cat reports the latest election news in a very professional way, unlike the Shrieking Violet which clearly has a biased opinion and backs Leo Torres. Who will come out the victor in this political race?

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I expected nothing but a bunch of teenage drama (which there was) but there was a lot of important issues discussed as well. @lorigoldsteinbooks brilliantly weaves in important, real-world issues while also delivering a great YA drama. This was the first YA book I found myself highlighting so many great passages like, “At leadership camp, we’re taught that when we enter positions of authority, we have a responsibility to be honest and accurate. Because those who hold higher positions are automatically perceived as more trustworthy. There’s a bias toward those in charge, that they should be believed.” We see this right now happening in our world today! Here’s one more great line that I really loved! “But the problem with lies and exaggerated truths is that sometimes people follow because they are too weak to trust themselves. We’re all responsible at some point for something. For not questioning or for not standing up or four taking the easy way out.” WOW!! Goldstein delivers the truth that so many need to read. Especially during an election year! This one gets 🌟🌟🌟🌟💫 stars and is a great YA drama with lots of truth seeds planted within!
Profile Image for Sarah.
527 reviews
August 9, 2020
Thank you to Penguin and Netgalley for this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the set up of this book with parts of Cat's article about the election interspersed throughout the book. The Shrieking Violet articles were also hilarious and I enjoyed the juxtaposition of the clickbait articles versus Cat's more traditional newspaper. I liked starting the book with Angeline and Leo post-break-up and needing to work through their feelings for each other in the wake of their big fight. I also liked how well Angeline and Cat's relationship contrasted with Leo and Sammy's. The ideas of the book were good however, I really didn't connect to any of the characters and that's really what makes or breaks a book for me. There was nothing about the characters that stood out for me. The "villains" of the book are obvious as are all the plot beats.

That said I really like the writing style and there were some lines that just made me pause and sit back. A favorite of mine, "You may be sick of being roadkill, but the truth is, only one of those tire treads belongs to me." The snappy lines and humor really saved this book for me. There was also some good discussion around gender discrimination and performative activism. This wasn't the best book I've read this year but it was by far not the worst.
Profile Image for Elisa (The Overflowing Bookshelf).
333 reviews12 followers
September 11, 2020
With election season in full swing, Lori Goldstein’s newest young adult novel is a great book to read if you can't get enough of real-life politics. In Sources Say, which was released on September 8th, two exes go head-to-head in the most dramatic school election ever.
This book took a bit for me to get into. While the mixed media element (which includes news articles and tweets) is fascinating, it isn’t until about halfway through that the campaigns and mysteries start to develop and engage the reader. This novel gets into the dirty side of breakups, popularity, and what certain people would do to get what they want. And readers ultimately come to realize that everyone has ulterior motives in this story.
That being said, this is a strikingly relevant book for today’s day and age. With fake news, polarizing politics, and the rise of social media, this novel gets to the crux of what people want out of government officials: a yearning for their voices to be heard.
If you enjoy politics, journalism, or how the media affects the general public, then I highly recommend giving this book a read. Otherwise, it's just a classic YA book about people trying to find themselves in high school.

*I received an ARC from Penguin Teen in exchange for my honest opinion.
364 reviews3 followers
June 23, 2020
Sisters Cat and Angeline are close in age, but competition for their absent dad’s attention and their own vastly different personalities leave them sharing a bedroom but little else. Ang runs her own little product promoting social media empire and has just been dumped by long time boyfriend Leo, whose is under a lot of pressure since Mom is running for Congress. Cat feels like she can’t compete with Ang’s posse of friends and finds her only solace in trying to bring the school newspaper back to relevance while surviving high school.

Student body elections are the perfect vehicle for Cat to engage her apathetic high school (mascot: a sloth), especially since Ang and Leo are competing for president.

Strengths: complex, interesting main characters and plenty of opportunities to engage the reader with big ideas about how news is created, reported, and consumed. Mainstream, tabloid, social media...it’s all here. Weakness: feels like there’s a little too much going on and secondary characters have to carry some important plot twists without being as well fleshed out. But still: plenty to like. E-ARC provided by Edelweiss.

Profile Image for Kat.
7 reviews7 followers
September 16, 2020
I absolutely loved this timely and clever book about friendship, politics, and sisterhood. I enjoyed following the two main characters (sisters Angeline and Cat) as well as their group of friends, antagonists, and family members. Goldstein includes a large cast of characters, but they are all well-drawn and each have their own little quirks (I'm looking at you bright green hoodie).

The story is expertly plotted. It moves quickly and, just when you think all the plot twists are done, Goldstein throws another your way. I never quite knew what was coming next, which I appreciated.

The story of the Frankengirls, the election, break-ups, gossip, and sister feuds is super fun. That being said, there's also a lesson (or two!) to be learned. As I read, I found myself problematizing how I receive and circulate information. I think this is an important story for teens (and adults) to read, especially during an election year.

I loved the use of the various modalities to convey the story: text, two newspapers, images, and social media all play a role, illustrating the current way that news (and rumors) are disseminated.

Highly recommend!
Profile Image for Jenn.
816 reviews22 followers
September 7, 2020
This is a fun, if slightly frothy novel transferring the political process to a high school. Irish twins Cat and Angela have very different priorities for their senior year, but they manage to collide together when Angela decides to run for school council president. Cat, as editor of the school newspaper - by default, but it still counts! - is swept up in the campaign as it turns into a battle of the sexes, and the exes.

This is a cleverly written take on America's political system, with one side arguing for more freedom and the other for more control. Fake news and the way people will believe anything that's written down are a huge part of the story. There's also some about exploiting women and bullying, things that most teen novels nowadays touch on.

The characters were good, even if the bad guys were relatively obvious, including the red herrings. I enjoyed seeing things from two perspectives, and watching the sisters come around to each other's way of thinking in the end was very satisfying.

A good read, but, for me, not a great one.
September 11, 2020
I received this book as an e-ARC from the publisher. Sources Say is a fun read that follows two sisters perspectives as they experience their school's student election, which turns out to be more drama than either ever bargained for. Through this experience the relationship between the two sisters, who are close in age but total opposites in personality, evolves from the antagonistic relationship they start out with. This book has great moments of activism and meaningful discussions but also tends to be a bit drawn out that causes you to lose interest. I loved that the school paper articles as well as the click bait type articles are included as part of the story to help tell the narrative, it was a great contrast between journalism and click bait and very entertaining. I wish there was a bit more character development, as the moments that you really got a glimpse into the sisters feelings and decisions really stuck out to me. Overall a good read.
Profile Image for Faith.
49 reviews2 followers
Want to read
July 21, 2020
Rating: 4/5

This book took me entirely by surprise. Two exes, one election, and one crazy horrible school prank, it just sounds like an amazing book. It didn't surprise me by the quality of the story, but by the focus on the relationships throughout the novel. Cat and Angeline have what might be considered a strained relationship. I absolutely loved seeing how this election shaped them and how they saw each other. Not to mention, this book did not pull any punches when it came to mistakes. Each and every character is shown messing up in some way, but the focus is not in how they messed up, but what they did to change and fix it, which I believe to be an incredibly important lesson. I honestly adored this book, and absolutely can't wait for it to come out so I can grab myself a physical copy.
Profile Image for Faith.
49 reviews2 followers
July 21, 2020
Rating: 4/5

Profile Image for Ellie Blackwood.
156 reviews74 followers
September 5, 2020
This was a super fun read that explores themes of ethical journalism, politics, and how we consume information in the modern era.

I was hooked the second the book started getting into Cat's and Angeline's respective passions of journalism and YouTubing. At first, they seem to be pretty different mediums, but as the story goes on we get an exploration of how both newspapers and YouTube videos can be used to spread information -- for better and for worse. This also parallels how Cat and Angeline clash at first, but learn that they have more in common than they think by the end of the story. I thought it was a great way to explore sisterhood through an interesting lens!

The writing style jumped around a little too much for my taste, but overall I found this to be an engaging story that made me think. It was also a pretty cathartic way of dealing with the stress over the real election :P
Profile Image for Andrew.
1,438 reviews78 followers
May 19, 2020
No one at Acedia High School has paid much attention to the student council elections-- at least, not until newly-exes Angeline and Leo run against each other for class president. Angeline needs to take on an academic pursuit per her mom's orders to continue her vlogger-influencer lifestyle, and Leo needs to win to boost the publicity for his politician mother. Cat, aspiring journalist and sister of Angeline, is doing her best to remain objective, but the two sisters have never gotten along well. Sources Say is an all-around battle royale between friends, family, ex-lovers, and most importantly, fake news-- something that an anonymous writer builds the closer to the school election!
Profile Image for Alexa.
262 reviews2 followers
November 2, 2020
2⭐️

This wasn’t a book I rushed through because I couldn’t get enough of it, it was one I couldn’t wait to be done with.

I think my main issue is that it was marketed as some kind of ex’s running against each other rom-com, but it 300 page social commentary on the voting and election system. It was nothing like what I was expecting this story to be about.

The characters were terrible. I couldn’t stand Cat and her “woe is me” attitude. And Angeline was a flat narcissist. And the whodunnit was entirely predictable.

I thought about DNF-ing it many times hoping it would get better, but it never did.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 43 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.