Start by marking “Hidden (The Texas Murder Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden (The Texas Murder Files, #1)

Hidden

(The Texas Murder Files #1)

A riveting new thriller featuring an ambitious female investigative reporter in Austin, Texas by New York Times bestselling author Laura Griffin.

Published August 25th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Hidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden

Start your review of Hidden (The Texas Murder Files, #1)
Melissa
Jun 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Laura Griffin. By a long shot.

For me, this opener to The Texas Murder Files series toed the line of mediocrity. Sure, it was decent, but not strong enough in storyline, concept, or even characterization to leave a lasting impression on this reader. And, I'm not sure those things bode well for me continuing with the series, but only time will tell. There’s a high probability this is the lone dud among the author's lengthy backlist, given the swoon worthiness of her Tracers series
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was another fast-paced, entertaining, gripping thriller with romantic vibes. Mostly romantic suspense is not my favorite genre but thankfully this book is more murder mystery and suspense. Of course from the beginning there is undeniable attraction and sizzling chemistry between the characters which I enjoyed because I liked both Bailey and Jacob from the beginning and luckily nothing change my opinion till the end of the book.

This is brand new premise of Laura Griffin’s Texas Murder Files se
Sheyla ✎

When I saw an email from Berkley with an early copy of Hidden, I couldn't jump fast enough to request it. Laura' Griffin is one of my favorite writers. I'm a fan for sure but I wasn't aware she was beginning a new series. Imagine my happiness at learning this fact!

The Texas Murder Files first book is Hidden. It stars a young journalist, Bailey Rhoads and a detective, Jacob Merritt. Usually, this combo doesn't mix well in real life but Laura makes it work in spades in this romantic suspense.

T
Theresa Alan
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This is a well-done romantic suspense. Bailey is a reporter sent out to cover the murder of a female jogger—is it just an opportunistic murder by a stranger or something else?

Jacob is a detective on the case. Initially, he doesn’t want to give any information to a newspaper journalist, but when he can’t identify the victim, turning to the press to get the word out might be the only way he can figure out who the dead woman is.

Together and separately, they track down leads that quickly bec
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

When a woman is found brutally murdered on Austin's lakeside hike-and-bike trail, investigative reporter Bailey Rhoads turns up on the scene demanding access and answers. She tries to pry information out of the lead detective, Jacob Merritt. But this case is unlike any he's ever seen, and nothing adds up.

Bailey has a hunch the victim wasn't who she claimed to be and believes this mugging-turned-murder could have been a targeted hit. When she digs deeper, the trail leads her to a high-te
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Fast paced crime story. Addictive read.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book starts a brand new series and based off of this one, it’s going to be exciting.

Solving murders is never fun, however, when we have a deliciously hot, dreamy detective on the case it makes for a much better story, don’t you think?

The story skirted around the edge of acceptable relationships due to work relationships when Jacob started looking at Bailey, the news reporter on the crime beat, just a little too closely. She’s sm
Mara
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-owned, arc
3.5 Stars - This is a solid detective thriller with a nice dose of a romantic subplot from an author whose work always hits the spot for me. This was a real comfort read; I loved watching the beats of the story unfold in a predictable but satisfying manner. I don't want to get into what the specific tropes of this one are, because I thought the way that was handled was the best part of the book & I don't want to spoil anything, but I did think there was a nice little extra oomph to the overall s ...more
Nursebookie
I really enjoy a fast-paced romantic suspense read that keeps you at the edge of your seat, and a thriller to keep your heart pumping and fingers turning those pages. Laura Griffin is a new author to me, and she has quickly become a favorite. She writes the best mix of suspense and romance.

Hidden is the first book in the “The Texas Murder Files” series where in this installation, a woman is found brutally murdered in the hike and bike trail in Austin. The main character is Bailey Rhoads who is a
Monnie
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lotsa lust, not much trust. That pretty much sums up the relationship between investigative reporter Bailey Rhoads and Austin Police Detective Jacob Merritt. Both are working on the same murder case and are infatuated with each other, but each refuses to share new information with the other.

The two meet after a woman is found murdered on a hiking trail; the initial assumption is that it was a mugging gone very wrong. But Bailey, who's being pressured to come up with a lead story for her newspap
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews

The always captivating Griffin has done it again! Kicking off with a heart-pounding introduction, she gives you a murder mystery you are utterly compelled to reach the ending as soon as you can. It's a great set up for an immediate reread as soon as you finish.

From page one I was captivated and hunkered down for what I knew would be a gripping ride. The combo of reporter and cop is always a clever match up and Hidden provides a fresh yet classic take on the trope.

From the fabulous cover to the
Rach
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A women is found murdered on Austin's lakeside hike-and-bike trail. Bailey Rhoads is a investigative reporter and is sent to the scene. Jacob Merritt is the lead detective on the case and tries to avoid answering questions from Bailey. Bailey believes there is more to her murder. Her investigate takes into the cutting-edge technology world which in the wrong hands could be disastrous. Bailey and Jacob join together to stop a hitman getting his next victim that is involved in the case.

I enjoyed
Anita
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic-supense
To say this one was a bit of a disappointment would be a accurate description. The characters weren't well developed and I just couldn't see where the great attraction for each other came from. The mystery was so-so and the suspense was minimal. This was one of those narratives that would have benefitted from the baddies point of view as the ending was rushed and not satisfying at all. All told, it was an okay read, but far below what I've come to expect from Laura Griffin.

Bailey Rhoads is an in
Lynn Spencer
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to start this new series by Laura Griffin, and I got sucked right in from the opening chapter. Caz and I discussed this one as a Pandora's Box, and you can find that discussion here:

My side of the discussion didn't lend itself well to cutting and pasting into a review but if you like romantic suspense that is intense on the suspense side of that equation, definitely check this one out.
☕️Kimberly
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Coffee Dates with Hidden
First Date: We as the reader are witness to the events leading up to the homicide along Austin's lakeside hike-and-bike trail.  Investigative reporter Bailey Rhoads gets a tip that something is up and heads to the lake. Lead detective, Jacob Merritt is on scene when Bailey tries to pry information from our tight-lipped detective. Both have a job to do and their paths continue to cross as the chemistry between them grows. Detective Merritt isn't willing to give up inv
Stacee
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a sucker for a romantic suspense and this one sounded so good. Bonus points for a new to me author.

I really liked Bailey. She’s inquisitive and tenacious and all of the other traits that make her a great reporter. Jacob is gruff and a bit marshmallow-esque. Together they have excellent chemistry, loads of respect for each other, and a wariness of the other’s job that was mildly amusing.

Plot wise, it was good. There are a few moving pieces and it definitely kept me interested. I really like
Lou
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hidden is the first instalment in The Texas Murder Files series and it's certainly a promising start. I didn't initially realise this was romantic suspense and if I had known I likely wouldn't have read it but it turned out to be serendipitous as it was much more about the investigation whilst the romance took somewhat of a backseat. When a jogger is found murdered on her morning run, crime reporter Bailey Rhoads and Austin detective Jacob Merritt are thrown together in a fit of circumstance. At ...more
Caz
B- / 3.5 stars

I’ve enjoyed several of Laura Griffin’s romantic suspense novels in the past, although I have to admit that the last couple of her books have left me feeling a bit short-changed as regards the romance.  But a new title from her will always have me taking a second look.  I liked the sound of Hidden, book one in her new Texas Murder Files series, in which the murder of a young woman turns up few leads, no suspects and a whole lot of dead ends.

Austin Herald crime-beat reporter Bai
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in The Texas Murder Files series by Laura Griffin. A woman is found murdered on a hiking trail and reporter Bailey Rhoads is sent to get the story. But the lead detective, Jacob Merritt, isn't very cooperative about giving her information on it so she has to dig and find out on her own. Eventually, they join forces to discover the truth. Their investigation uncovers more than they bargained for.

I have been a fan of Ms. Griffin for some time and this book didn't disappoint me. Ther
Bea

This grabbed me from the beginning, lost me for a bit in the middle, then revved up again at the end. "Hidden" is a solid mystery with a romantic subplot. The MCs are a police detective and a journalist who start out at odds but end up working together. The romance was slow at first, then moved quickly. It felt a bit too quick, but still believable. I liked how Bailey and Jacob worked together and how their relationship developed. They made a good investigative team, and then romantic c
Beth
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Kind of light fare for a Laura Griffin, which is odd when you consider the body count. And yet everything is - easy, in a way. They keep saying the case is hard, but it turns out to be simple; they claim the central relationship is complicated, but they work it out easily. The showing contradicts the telling - which should be a sign of sloppy writing. And yet the few instances of sentence-level sloppiness annoy me much more than the plot did. Somehow this is straightforwardly readable: it’s writ ...more
Dianne
High marks for suspense and interesting twists! Laura Griffin’s HIDDEN kicks off a new series and does a remarkable job of creating an air of intensity as an investigative reporter sinks her teeth into a murder that is part of something far deeper and much more sinister and she won’t let go, no matter what.

Det. Jacob Merritt, assigned to the case of the murder of a mystery woman who isn’t who her identity states. Seems she is part of a failed WITSEC attempt to keep her alive. Meanwhile, reporter
Amy
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hidden is an exciting and fast paced thriller that is sure to keep readers on their toes….

One of the first things that drew me into this book was the cover. It was absolutely stunning. I loved the colors and style. I certainly wanted to find out more. Hidden is my first book by Laura Griffin and it most certainly won’t be my last.

Hidden follows the story of Bailey and Jacob. From the moment I picked up this book, I was completely and totally sucked in. I was pretty annoyed that I had things to d
Lubnaa (Romance Library)
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Hidden kicks off The Texas Murder Files series by Laura Griffin. I've read and enjoyed Laura Griffin's books in the past and while I liked Hidden, it was also a little mediocre in the romance department.

The story begins with a female jogger who gets stabbed to death in a public park. At first, it seems like it was a mugging gone wrong. But when investigative reporter Bailey Rhoads and Detective Jacob Merritt start investigating t
Darla
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery
This one started out as a gripping suspense thriller. A young woman is attacked, stabbed, and her dead body dumped in the lake near the trail. Haven't we all had fears about being accosted while out on a walk or run? Then there was the friction between Bailey, the intrepid reporter, and Jacob, the impenetrable detective. The plot reminded me of books I have loved by Lisa Gardner. But the last bit of the book was a disappointment. In the end, it was too "Harlequiny" for me. I don't think I'll be ...more
Kayla kaytreads
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! 5 Stars with out a doubt!!
I was quite shocked in how well written this book was. I was captivated at every chapter. You follow a murder investigation through the eyes of Bailey Rhoads and Jacob Merritt. The murder victim isn't just some random girl, shes a protected witness in a trail. With that knowledge this case is for the FBI, which puts Jacob and Bailey in a dangerous position.
Bailey is a journalist doing her own investigation and Jacob is a detective for Austin, Texas. There is some
Joy Novel Thoughts
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hidden by Laura Griffin is like a grittier version of the books that I cut my teeth on, it's more than a cozy mystery but not quite gory romantic suspense either. The fact that the book takes place in Texas, where I live, was just the icing on the cake.

I loved the tenacity of Bailey, she put in a lot of footwork on a case that the police were determined not to let her interfere with but she didn't let that stop her. Instead she kept pushing and pushing until she broke through the walls of one Au
RachelW (BamaGal)
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
While this is still not up to the quality and readability of the author’s fantastic ‘Tracer’ series, it’s miles above her awful ‘Alpha Crew’ books. I had a hard time warming up to Bailey, reporters aren’t my favorite people, in real life or fiction. The plot was interesting and moved along at a fast clip. It bogged down a couple of times with minutiae, and the climactic wrap-up left a little to be desired. Overall, though, it was a decent beginning to what looks to be a pretty good RS series.
Luli
Puedes encontrar esta reseña en español al final.

There have been too many things that have prevented this read from being, at least, entertaining.
The plot has been boring and predictable. And as soon as things get interesting, the explanations or reasons given by the author are either vague and do not explain anything, or are simply non-existent. Or too far-fetched to be credible ...

The MC´s are a bunch of clichés. They hardly have an original or sincere feature. The conflicts are trite. The int
Gretchen  (About That Story)
This was an exciting and captivating romantic suspense story that was fast-paced and fun to read! I enjoyed the characters, the storyline, and the mystery that tied it all together.

This was my first time reading this author and I really liked what I got. It felt like it was an even split between the suspense and the romance. I liked all the intrigue happening and the build to the story and the fact that there are multiple POVs. Romance wise I liked both Jacob and Bailey, they had a great attract
Shelley Lawrence
Hidden is a romantic suspense novel and the first in Laura Griffin’s Texas Murder Files series and I absolutely loved it!

Hidden is immediately engaging, drawing the reader into the action and it starts off with a bang! The crime is murder, but the premise is unique focusing on an alarming, and all-too-realistic type of technology and the ways it can potentially be used.

This story is tense and fast-paced. It is well-written, and intelligent, with thoughtful layers, but also understandable and eas
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Cold as Ice (Lucy Kincaid #17)
  • Say No More (Romantic Suspense #24; Sacramento #2)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Cold Wicked Lies (Cold Justice #13; Crossfire #3)
  • Don't Look Back (Texas Justice #3)
  • We Are All the Same in the Dark
  • A Deeper Fear (Lucy Kincaid #17.5)
  • Cold Cruel Kiss (Cold Justice: Crossfire #4)
  • Burn You Twice
  • Kiss My Cupcake
  • Hard Line (Cobra Elite, #5)
  • Don't Look (Pike, Wisconsin #1)
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (Maximum Security #3)
  • Tainted Evidence (Evidence Series Book 10)
  • The Book of Two Ways
  • The Lion's Den
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • Where the Lost Wander
Laura Griffin is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than twenty books. She is a two-time RITA Award winner, and her book Desperate Girls was named one of the Best Books of 2018 by Publishers Weekly. Booklist magazine calls Laura's popular Tracers series "the perfect mix of suspense and romance."
Series:
* Tracers
* Wolfe Security
* Texas Murder Files
* Alpha Crew
* Moreno and Ha

The Texas Murder Files (2 books)
  • Flight (The Texas Murder Files, #2)