Start by marking “Knives Out (Screenplay)” as Want to Read:
Knives Out (Screenplay)

Knives Out (Screenplay)

To ask other readers questions about Knives Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knives Out

Start your review of Knives Out (Screenplay)
posthuman
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Wes Anderson, Agatha Christie, Patricia Highsmith
Knives Out was an engrossing, rather quick read. A quirky, cleverly structured black comedy whodunit with hilarious dialogue and some delightful character portraits. I look forward to watching the finished film and comparing to what I imagined while reading.

BLANC
Something is afoot with this whole affair. I know it, and I believe you know it.

MARTA
So you're... going to keep digging.

BLANC
Harlan's detectives they dig, they rifle and root, truffle pigs. I anticipate the terminus of gravity
Dee's Reading Zone
"You all love twisting the knife into one another." - Benoit Blanc

This was an engaging whodunit screenplay that was unpredictable and a very good read. Famous novelist, Harlan Thrombey commits suicide leaving many unanswered questions and more red herrings to mention in the screenplay. In walks in the noted Detective Benoit Blanc to solve the case.

"The family is truly desperate. And when people get desperate, the knives come out." -Benoit Blanc

The Thrombey clan were a terrible group once they d
Melissa Hedges- Rankin
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Part of the 'script a day' 30 day challenge from ScreenwritingU.
Hadn't seen this movie beforehand so thought I may get lost at times, but I did not.
Ensemble cast and pacing was well done with the flashbacks and mystery combined to current day.
Humor was great, having had a brother named Hugh the Hugh joke especially made me laugh.
Looking forward to seeing this movie.
A.M.
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, i-own
Bless, the descriptions:
LINDA
How you doing kiddo.
Linda is 60ish, well put together, sharp and steely eyed. She dresses and speaks with just a little more sharpness than any situation she's in requires.

LIEUTENANT ELLIOTT (V.O.)
Did anyone besides the family show face?
LINDA (V.O.)
Uh. There was Fran, the housekeeper. Marta, Harlan's caregiver, good girl, hard worker.
Family's from Ecuador. And Wanetta - Greatnana, Harlan's mom.
At the snack table wearing a dozen coats, a woman who might be three hundr
Q
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, screenplay
I liked the movie so much that when I saw the screenplay was available online for award season purposes, I had to read it. So great.
Nick Martin
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
the game is afoot (67:00)
Emilie Guan
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play-screenplay
The movie was one of my favorites and this screenplay was absolutely phenomenal. It’s snarky and sophisticated and atmospheric and feels so nostalgic yet innovative at the same time. Highly recommend for people looking for a place to start reading screenplays.
Realini
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Knives Out, written and directed by Rian Johnson
Eight out of 10

To make a silly, wrong-sided joke, we can read the impressive names in the cast, with Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Christopher Plummer, Ana de Armas, Toni Collette, and then stop, for there is nothing else to say in favor of this motion picture…

Unless of course, we look at the long list of nominations and awards, including three for the upcoming Golden Globes, for the most important categ
Ross Bonaime
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rian Johnson's screenplay for Knives Out is a fun twist on the whodunnit, by presenting the audience with what seems almost like too much information upfront, before disseminating the details that truly matter slowly throughout the film. By reading Johnson's screenplay, it's easier to note the little clues that pop out on rewatch, such as a New Yorker magazine in a suspicious place, or the way a person says a specific line. This is clearly a screenplay that has been worked over and over, with Jo ...more
Jake Harris
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t find a GoodReads entry for the “Hook, Line & Sinker” short movie tie-in book that the marketing team gave away for free in certain airports this year, so this is my logging for that book. I haven’t read the screenplay but I’ve seen the movie and loved it. The HL&S tie-in is an easy read but has echoes of the film (and is referenced by Noah Sagan) and was a fun way to spend my night reading.
Richard
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Being able to recast this screenplay in my head made the gentle southern accent much easier to accept.

I loved the descriptions of the mansion to begin with and the character introductions throughout were excellent.
Kat
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth reading either before (if you don't mind spoilers) or after seeing the movie. The character descriptions alone were delightful, and it's so fun to see the little details that were in the script before shooting and which must have been added later. ...more
sofia
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, ebooks, scripts
*4.25.
feral
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
marta cabrera the woman you are today
Mikayla Summers
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny and quirky and a good mystery. loved.
rachel.
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shah
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rian Johnson is a god
Justin
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
If you liked the movie, you'll love the screenplay. Adds a few more elements that didn't make it into the final cut. ...more
Lillian
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I was unsure to read this script at first. A lot of my love for the movie stems from the way thermales moved and the decoration and set design created suspense. However I greatly enjoyed reading the dialogues and understood the story more than before as a clever homage to old crime films like the Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie movies. Even without the music or the actors the characters lived through their word choices and dialogues. Marta and Hugh especially were funny to read. I will rewatc ...more
Thomas Merzlak
Oct 26, 2020
REDD
Feb 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Marriage Story (Screenplay)
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Parasite (Screenplay)
  • Lady Bird: Screenplay
  • Whiplash
  • The Social Network - screenplay
  • 1917
  • Little Danny Dinosaur (First Start Easy Readers)
  • her